Character Teleporting randomly

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Kihaku.2918

Kihaku.2918

There is a bug, where my characters keep teleporting around the map when I logout. I’m standing on some map (has happened on multiple maps), then I log out, log back in and I’m teleported to some of the entrances on map. This is highly annoying, since I’m sometimes waiting for some event to happen or trying to logout and login to get to another instance, and then I have moved to the entrance of the map.

This happens only if I log out and log in with the same character. If i log out, log in with some other character and back with the other one, it doesn’t happen.

Has this happened to others and what can be done?

(edited by Kihaku.2918)

Kihaku.2918

Here is a link to video that I took from the bug
http://kihaku.fi/gw2/Gw%20teleport%20bug.mp4

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

since I’m sometimes waiting for some event to happen or trying to logout and login to get to another instance

That really isn’t an intended feature of logging out and back in, so I doubt this really is a bug.

What’s probably happening is that you’re logging back in while your character state is still being sent from the server managing that instance that you logged out of to whatever database “permanently” stores that info. So when the server managing the instance you’re logging into tries to load that position data, it’s not actually there yet, and so it drops you at whatever the fallback position for that zone is.

IOW, if you don’t want this to happen, don’t try to swap instances like this, or at least wait a bit longer.

Posted by: Sargoth.8104

Sargoth.8104

This happening to me too, and I don’t even know how to change instances. Some examples:

*Logged out in Claypool, when I logged back in I was inside Divinity’s Reach at the portal (not even the same zone)
*Logged out in Swamplost Haven, when I logged back in I was in Shaemoor Village just outside the Divinity’s Reach portal
*Logged out inside Divinity’s Reach at the tailor station, when I logged back in I was at the entrance portal to Divinity’s Reach
*Logged out on the east shore of Viathan’s Arm, when I logged back in I was inside Kessex Haven
*Logged out outside Kessex Haven, when I logged back in I was inside Black Haven
*Logged out in the Ascalon Settlement, when I logged back in I was near Nebo Terrace

It doesn’t happen every time, and to be fair it is always near either a spawn point or a portal, but in nearly every case there is a spawn point or a portal much closer to the log out point than the location where I actually spawn. It’s like the server can’t keep track of where I’m supposed to be and randomly chooses a location where I’ve been in the recent past.

(And to be clear, something interfering with normal gameplay that “isn’t an intended feature” is by definition a bug.)

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

(And to be clear, something interfering with normal gameplay that “isn’t an intended feature” is by definition a bug.)

My point is that what you are trying to do (logout and back in on the same character quickly to get a different map instance) is not normal intended gameplay. I hesitate to say that you’re abusing a bug for personal gain… but you’re getting close to that line.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Usually, when the game crashed or loses connection with servers due whatever reason during a teleport or map changes it may cause the server to get lost on where your last position was, in this case, you are usually put at a default location, that can be some map entrance or even the center of map (once I happened to be put in the exact center of Lion’s Arch). What I mean is that what can be happening is the server isn’t having time to store your last position or it’s not storing it for who knows reason, then it tries to “guess” where you were and is unable to then it puts you on one of those default locations. Or even more, it can assume that a teleport or map change failed (like attempting to go to a contested WP) and then it takes you to the nearest WP.

Kihaku.2918

Tamasan, It happens even if I log in to game, play an hour, log out, check my characters and log back in with the same char. It teleports.

And this doesn’t happen to everyone, since it didn’t happen to most of my friends, but it happened to one of my friends. It means that it is a bug, because it doesn’t happen to everyone.