Claw of Jormag Corrupted Ice Shield bug [merged threads]

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: kerona.3465

kerona.3465

Recently, on Maguuma server at least, Claw has been spawning untargetable Corrupted Ice Shields. The wall will break for the first time, then never respawn graphically and be unselectable by normal methods. Apparently if you turn on auto targetting and attack, you will get the target, but otherwise you must AoE it instead to hit it. If you AoE it, it does take damage, but for me (Necromancer, staff) at least it would not take damage with normal attack. This glitch was experienced by everyone at the event, and we submitted bug reports for it as well.

The quest seems to function normally, but the wall itself is glitched.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Oblyth, Mes ~ Nadeshiko Naito, War ~ Hwertu, Gua
Evenree, Necro (M) ~ Ran Still Died, Thief

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Booey Bubblehead.4890

Booey Bubblehead.4890

Server: Tarnished Coast

Since the December 14 update, the Jormag phase 1 Corrupted Ice Shield seems to be buried or half buried thus making the charrzookas particularly ineffective.

At this point, it is taking at least half an hour to complete phase 1 due to this bug/change. Additionally, though we are fighting many more groups of Icebrood and taking down many more Ice Shards, there are virtually no drops from doing so.

Anet—please advise if this really is a bug or an intended change.

Posted by: Kain.3485

Kain.3485

same on Fort Aspenwood, i think they did it because it forces you to use the pact weapons

Booey Bubblehead.4890

That is what people are saying but no one seems to know for sure and it wasn’t in any update notes either.

Posted by: Locce.8405

Locce.8405

Drakkar Lake is also affected. Some AoEs hit the corrupted ice wall, but the hitbox is practically completely hidden underground, so most attacks will just get “obstructed”.

Booey Bubblehead.4890

Would have hoped for anet reply to this by now especially seeing that someone had the time to merge the threads

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

Crystal Desert as well. First wall after every patch works correctly then it breaks and the wall is in the ground and a pain to target and attack.

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

kerona.3465

This bug is still occuring. Nobody wants to do this dragon on Maguuma because of the bug which lengthens the kill time by around 10 minutes.

Maguuma [PYRO]

Posted by: Navoe.4283

Navoe.4283

Tarnished Coast too, people don’t go.

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

Yak’s Bend server:
We also have experienced a flawed experience with the Claw of Jormag dragon event. Not only are the ice shields untargetable, but it really takes the cake when you kill all the spawns he creates, that there are no drops from any of the mobs involved.

There also appears to be a graphical glitch involved here as well. I keep seeing my screen freezing up periodically and I noticed a few players getting dropped mid-stride. Some of my guild mates got dc’d in the middle of the fights.

So after a negative experience last night, I’ve decided not to do this event any longer. Judging by the poor turn out recently, no one else wants to do it either. Fewer and fewer players are showing up for this event.

So, not only is this event buggy now, but no loot drops off any of his mobs that are worth anything. I think the last several fights I got maybe some trophy bones but nothing else. I used to get decent drops from the mobs before.

As for the loot chest, too many of the drops in the loot chest are junk; only worthy of vendoring, definitely nothing remotely useful for anything else.

(edited by lynspottery.6529)

Posted by: Lutheran.9687

Lutheran.9687

Eredon Terrace this is happening as well. The event is looping the first phase and there is no walls to destroy to push it to the next phase. Thus, no one is doing this event at this time as there is no way to complete it in any way. Real pain to try to target the walls making no one wanting to do it.

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

Why spend the time when you can farm the mobs and get golds and orange items? Jormag gives blues and some greens in his chest. I have never seen an exotic from him, only 2 yellows in about 50 tries. I no longer do it, not worth anything IMHO.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Sea of Sorrows too.

Obviously something needs to be done. The corrupted ice shield looks as though it’s stuck down in the ground and the words ‘Corrupted Ice Shield’ are barely noticeable. It’s untargetable without hitting terrain, the only players who can get close enough to do damage are those that have decent enough armour and can run grenades up the centre to actually do damage without getting killed.

The rest of us are stuck on the sides futily hoping to hit something and not get killed in the process, or back at the base camp where the cannons are, fighting the Claw’s adds (mostly veterans) and getting next to nothing in drops.

So it’s looking like this event used to draw a big crowd, but because of the bugged wall, crap drops from adds and sucky loot from the end chest, it’s hardly worth going to anymore. Someone mentioned it takes an extra 10mins to complete, well I think this is a bit soft. Because there’s less people showing up there’s less damage being done and the ice shield needs to regularly be broken 3 times before he’ll move to the last spot where the chest spawns, it’s adding anything up to 20 minutes also because of the submerged ice wall bug. This event seriously needs fixing.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

lynspottery.6529

I suppose its too much to expect anyone from Anet to respond to this thread. I always enjoyed running the dragons events whenever they popped.

However, it has become a chore lately, and definitely not worth the effort. Besides the issue of the Claw being borked, there is that broken loot drop issue as well.

Back in Nov the update notes specifically stated they were doing something about the world loot drops. Here is the link to those notes:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-November-15-2012/first#post744278

kerona.3465

I don’t know the rules about bumping, but I would have expected someone to respond to this or address this bug in some way by this point.

There are only 3 dragons. Having one of them take nearly an hour to complete because of a bug is ridiculous.

Maguuma [PYRO]

Booey Bubblehead.4890

Another day where they have updated for “bug fixes” and STILL Jormag isn’t fixed and Anet cannot manage to reply to this thread. This has gotten old.

lynspottery.6529

Still no response to this thread. Extremely depressing.

Posted by: Vilaptca.6037

Vilaptca.6037

This is still happening on the Yak’s Bend server. Pact weapons don’t seem to be hitting the shield at all. I’m watching everyone use them and the shield isn’t dropping health. I can see that mine are exploding but no damage numbers show up.

This is broke and it takes forever now.

Booey Bubblehead.4890

In an attempt to get a resolution to this bug, I filed an in game bug report while at Jormag. Maybe more of you who are experiencing this should do the same.

Clearly, posting to the forum is worthless.

lynspottery.6529

In an attempt to get a resolution to this bug, I filed an in game bug report while at Jormag. Maybe more of you who are experiencing this should do the same.

Clearly, posting to the forum is worthless.

I can’t tell you how many"in-game" bug reports I have filed on this but it is not only one.

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

Why spend the time when you can farm the mobs and get golds and orange items? Jormag gives blues and some greens in his chest. I have never seen an exotic from him, only 2 yellows in about 50 tries. I no longer do it, not worth anything IMHO.

As if those mobs actually drop anything? lol. Anet nerfed the hell out of the claw spawns and the chest.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

Posted by: Xhyros.1340

Xhyros.1340

You can hit them with melee, the pact bombs, or the bazookas from a certain range/angle.

lynspottery.6529

Bah…Jormag is no longer an interesting event. My reasons are (in no particular order):
1. Cannot target effectively even with some melee, sporatic capability to target with aoe weapons (Barzookas are iffy at best)
2. Mobs around Jormag rarely drop anything any more, usually only trophy bones or some such nonesense.
3. Chest from Jormag when he is finally downed: bunch of junk
4. Ice walls totally unable to be targeted using tab targeting or even your mouse.

Edit: Yak’s Bend server is still experiencing this as of late Wed (1-2-2013) night.

kerona.3465

Why is there still no response to this?
I’ve filed in game bug reports when it first started happening. At least a “We’re looking into it…” would be nice.

Maguuma [PYRO]

Posted by: Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Miss Pink Floyd.9730

I don’t do it anymore either, same bug on Jade Quarry and nothing but blues in chest. More DR crap, compliments of Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Alien.2851

Alien.2851

The shield needs to be fixed immediately – too many players are just hanging back now, killing the spawns or doing nothing at all, while the shield stays up for even longer.

They then join in once the event moves onto stage 2.

The whole event is really bad value for the amount of time it takes now.

Alien Hunter
We Built They Came [ekoc]
Isle Of Janthir

Posted by: deffy.1320

deffy.1320

I had 2 yellows out of 5 tries :p

“Deleted for being inappropriate”

kerona.3465

Still no comment or fix 14 days in….

Maguuma [PYRO]

Posted by: Direwulff.2396

Direwulff.2396

this is also happening on ehmry bay server. the wall being mostly underground level makes it VERY hard to target as well as the above listed issues. usually i group up and the first person to get it designates it as an assist target.

Would be nice to get some response from Anet at least to let us know they are aware of this… like mentioned above there are only 3 dragon events…

Posted by: Jason King.2647

Jason King.2647

Live Response Embed

Next

We’re tracking this issue and working towards a fix. Thank you for your patience!

ArenaNet Community Team
Live Response Embed

kerona.3465

Well, it’s something, lol…
Thank you for the response
Hope to see the fix soon!

Maguuma [PYRO]

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Thank you for the response and confirming that it’s a bug and not intentional. I know many were wondering about this due to the lack of a response

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

Posted by: Alien.2851

Alien.2851

Just to let the developers know – Claw of Jormag event was only fixed for the first event after the newest build – then it reverted to the badly positioned shield which can’t be targeted by normal weapons.

Even if the target is provided by a teammate, bows just get the obstructed message.

Alien Hunter
We Built They Came [ekoc]
Isle Of Janthir

Posted by: Locce.8405

Locce.8405

Apparently there is some back and forth with this bug. One day you can find the bugged shield at every turn and the next you have “mixed shields”, for example bugged shield the first time around and normal shields for the rest of the Event.

Posted by: Icecat.4528

Icecat.4528

Alien has it right. First run I thought “great – its fixed” and I could hit the shield with my normal weapons. Every run since then its back to broken – target point appears to be underground so normal weapons get “obstructed” when trying to hit it and you are forced to either use AOE skills or the very slow firing, no auto-attack charzookas. Its turns the event into a much larger time sink and is very annoying.

GW2 mods can fuck it up their cock sucking asses – Sieg heil you nazi fuckers

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

Can I get a screenshot of the shield in its broken state? I suspect that the issue is that it’s not entering the “repaired” animation state correctly, but it’s nigh-impossible for me to recreate the bug locally.

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

There.

Server dragonbrand.

Having trouble understanding how you can’t recreate a bug that has been going on every single spawn for weeks now.

While you’re at it, fix the chest drops and elemental drops. Though I’m sure the bad drops goes back to the whole champion and veterans supposed to drop more loot when in reality they drop next to nothing now.

Attachments:

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

(edited by Arsenic Touch.7960)

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Same happens on Seafarer’s Rest server. Corrupted Shield spawns too low in terrain to be targeted.

Anet devs – just logon during the event on one of the named servers and you’ll see how annoying it.

Better yet, stay online for duration of entire Jormag event and suffer the horrible sound bug which generally happens towards end of phase 2. I still think it’s a case of just too many simultaneous sounds, effects, animations, etc. taking place.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Bean.1247

Bean.1247

Desolation server every time the Dragon spawns it is like this too.

Sleep is a sign of caffeine deprivation !

Posted by: Opt.3714

Opt.3714

There.

Server dragonbrand.

[snip]

I’m seeing the same bug on Jade Quarry. Any screenshot I take would be identical to this one.

I’ve done this event about 5 times since the bug started happening. One time, the shield was normal the very first time it appeared but it reappeared bugged when the Claw was no longer stunned. Other than that one time it has always spawned underground.

When the shield goes down to zero health and can no longer be attacked, it briefly appears correctly before shattering.

If it helps, this bug’s “start date” did not correlate with any particular content patch or maintenance. It just randomly started happening a couple of weeks ago. Just a hunch: in your local testing, maybe you need to run the event over and over before it will reproduce?

http://opt.red/about Twitter: http://twitter.com/Opt__
Co-Leader, I Can Outtweet A Centaur! [TWIT] #twitguild
IGN: Optimus Maleficus

Posted by: HelperMonkey.1056

HelperMonkey.1056

When the shield goes down to zero health and can no longer be attacked, it briefly appears correctly before shattering.

THIS, every time, for the past few weeks on Dragonbrand.

Definitely looking forward to this fix. The extended length of time to kill Jormag, as a result of this bug, has made it more of a slowly-killed nuisance than a fun fight like the other dragons (although the mechanics of the fight are definitely more interesting IMO, obviously without the bug).

I admit, that on occasion, I sit out part of the fight because it often ends up being 30+ minutes long on my very high population server (Dragonbrand). The rewards, for this lengthy battle, are shy in comparison to trash mobs in its current bugged state.

(edited by HelperMonkey.1056)

Posted by: Luna.9640

Luna.9640

Happens on Blacktide too.

The “Corrupted Ice Shield” is barely visible and underground which is indication for bugged shield.

and firing with pack weapons on it don’t do any dmg. at all. (not that you can target it)

lynspottery.6529

Still bugged on Yak’s Bend.

Attachments:

Posted by: laibros.3490

laibros.3490

Can I get a screenshot of the shield in its broken state? I suspect that the issue is that it’s not entering the “repaired” animation state correctly, but it’s nigh-impossible for me to recreate the bug locally.

Currently bugged on Piken Square

Attachments:

lynspottery.6529

Apparently the ice walls worked ok early this morning, but by the time I fought Jormag this afternoon, they were untargetable again.

So disappointing that this is still happening.

Attachments:

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

We’ve had an extremely difficult time trying to reproduce this locally, but I added some safety measures to the ice shield to make sure it goes into its visible/attackable state if it’s alive. It’ll be in the end-of-month content update.

Sligh.2789

We’ve had an extremely difficult time trying to reproduce this locally, but I added some safety measures to the ice shield to make sure it goes into its visible/attackable state if it’s alive. It’ll be in the end-of-month content update.

Ummm, the name of the shield spawns underground, and cannot be clicked to target it every single time i play the event. To say you cant replicate it means that you are playing another game altogether, because this happens every spawn, every day. To hear you say you cant replicate it means that what you are doing has no relation to what the players at large are doing. That would be cause for alarm in my eyes, and as a developer, it should have risin a large red flag in your field of view.
The Pact weapons will auto target the shield as long as no elemental or moa is in your field of view. Regular weapons will NOT auto target the shield. Click to target the shield is impossible because the name is under ground when it spawns

(edited by Sligh.2789)

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

To hear you say you cant replicate it means that what you are doing has no relation to what the players at large are doing.

Exactly my point. It’s not showing up on any of our test servers, it’s only showing up on a Live server, with varying populations/unpredictable players, et al. So we haven’t been able to determine what’s causing the bug. Like I said, I added some failsafe measures so it will fix itself if it ends up in a bad state, but I’m not sure WHY it’s ending up in a bad state.

Sligh.2789

To hear you say you cant replicate it means that what you are doing has no relation to what the players at large are doing.

Exactly my point. It’s not showing up on any of our test servers, it’s only showing up on a Live server, with varying populations/unpredictable players, et al. So we haven’t been able to determine what’s causing the bug. Like I said, I added some failsafe measures so it will fix itself if it ends up in a bad state, but I’m not sure WHY it’s ending up in a bad state.

I am sorry of this is off topic, but maybe the reason that developers see no reduction in drop rates from veterans and champions, and the drastic drop in “drop rates” in general discussed in many other forums be related to the fact that they are looking at test servers instead of live servers? Definate Food for Thought. Clearly the test servers are not operating on the same playing field as the live servers, and it would make sense according to your observations.

(edited by Sligh.2789)

lynspottery.6529

Oh, a test server. Hmmmmm…. perhaps your test server is setup differently than the live server?

What I don’t understand is this fight used to work fine, right up until about a month ago. What changes did you make or additions implemented that could have affected this mechanic?

Also, what changes did you make that adversely affected loot drops world wide? To me it appears that changes made in content or behind the scenes to tweak the drop tables adversely affected the game and some of the mechanics that used to work just fine.

What happened that caused this to be posted and why was this oversight not corrected?

Aproposs Of Fire.4056:

This is a video interview with Colin Johanson (ArenaNet GW2 Game Director – think movie director, I think) made after the Halloween event but before the Karka event. It is located: http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/337726366 I might have missed some things earlier in the video but here are some pretty relevant quotes from later in the video:

Time: 20:35
“The most important thing.. We want people to play wherever they want.. do the things they are excited about and feel like they get rewarded for it and that they can play with their friends wherever they are playing and that they can be rewarded for it. "

“Those will always be our goals as we build anything in GuildWars2.”

Time: 20:48
“So certainly we are evaluating PvP, WvW and PvE right now so that it is rewarding enough in each part of the game, it feels like there is enough stuff to do in each part of the game. And where we see that there isn’t, we’re currently adding a whole lot of more stuff for each of those parts and phases right now. We’re really.. focused on expanding those in every part of the the game right now.”