Claw of Jormag Corrupted Ice Shield bug [merged threads]

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

Exactly my point. It’s not showing up on any of our test servers, it’s only showing up on a Live server, with varying populations/unpredictable players, et al. So we haven’t been able to determine what’s causing the bug. Like I said, I added some failsafe measures so it will fix itself if it ends up in a bad state, but I’m not sure WHY it’s ending up in a bad state.

I am sorry of this is off topic, but maybe the reason that developers see no reduction in drop rates from veterans and champions, and the drastic drop in “drop rates” in general discussed in many other forums be related to the fact that they are looking at test servers instead of live servers? Definate Food for Thought. Clearly the test servers are not operating on the same playing field as the live servers, and it would make sense according to your observations.

That’s actually a good point. I’ve often wondered if we’re even playing the same game as the devs and judging by this response there’s an obvious difference between their test servers and the live servers that we play on.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

Posted by: MRA.4758

MRA.4758

I am sorry of this is off topic, but maybe the reason that developers see no reduction in drop rates from veterans and champions, and the drastic drop in “drop rates” in general discussed in many other forums be related to the fact that they are looking at test servers instead of live servers?

Very unlikely. The dev team has stated time and again that they are doing data mining on the live servers. The reason that developers see no reduction in drop rates is most probably that they do have actual data on drop rates instead of just subjective anecdotal evidence. (And, yes, this seems off-topic.)

~MRA

IGN: Peavy (Asuran Engineer)
Tyrian Intelligence Agency [TIA]
Dies for Riverside on a regular basis, since the betas

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

To hear you say you cant replicate it means that what you are doing has no relation to what the players at large are doing.

Exactly my point. It’s not showing up on any of our test servers, it’s only showing up on a Live server, with varying populations/unpredictable players, et al. So we haven’t been able to determine what’s causing the bug. Like I said, I added some failsafe measures so it will fix itself if it ends up in a bad state, but I’m not sure WHY it’s ending up in a bad state.

Oh, a test server. Hmmmmm…. perhaps your test server is setup differently than the live server?

Maybe setup the same way, but experiencing entirely different usage and stress than live servers so not probably getting the “overload” that can cause events to fail/lock and objects to malfunction?

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Sudden.8729

Sudden.8729

We’ve had an extremely difficult time trying to reproduce this locally, but I added some safety measures to the ice shield to make sure it goes into its visible/attackable state if it’s alive. It’ll be in the end-of-month content update.

I understand the aspect of a maintenance schedule, but shouldn’t an event like this have enough priority to allow for a sooner time period to implement the possible safety measures?

I don’t want to come off nagging but there are already posts about PVE becoming stale. I myself have been playing for around 2 months or so. I am new to the GW franchise and have had fun, but even I as a new player have felt the whole Jormag event has lost any interest. This is an event that could drop a possible legendary pre-cursor (which I would love to get) and the event is such an annoyance that I sometimes find myself just not caring and skipping it…

As some players have mentioned, the mobs spawned at the event aren’t even any fun to kill because it seems ANY drop happening is rare. My guild does not even care to attempt to do the dragon anymore because it seems like such a chore. I would be willing to bet the event time for completion has easily tripled what it was prior to the Wintersday implementation (when the bugged started) To hear that Anet has a possible fix and is holding it back is borderline lunacy. I would rather have heard that you have no idea and no way to help. It’s like going to a restaurant, having a host tell you they have an empty table, seeing the empty table from the lobby, but you have to wait fifteen minutes.

Vandallias – Champion Hunter Too Seksi – Guardian
www.twitch.tv/the_chach – Random sPVP/WvW

Posted by: Camdal.6197

Camdal.6197

Well, on my server (Fissure of Woe) the ice shield has disappeared completely. And you can’t target Jormag. The only thing that can hurt him are the cannons.

It’s boring. Also, it has issues with going to stage 2 since Jormag never takes flight.

It’s been like this for at least the last week.

Posted by: Kavs.7286

Kavs.7286

I work as a software developer and deploying builds from an Internal Development server to production/live servers can always be a source of frustration. There seem to be more and more Bugs appearing on the live servers that your QA team are obviously not picking up on in your Internal servers. Whether this is due to load conditions on your live servers or, more worryingly, configuration issues only the dev team can know. My advice, start jumping into some live servers and monitoring what is happening more closely. You may have to update your QA procedure to imitate live servers better.

From what I have started to experience recently, it seems to me that flags are not triggering correctly, be this with story mode quests not proceeding after a cutscene or Jormags Ice wall not spawning correctly.

Posted by: Grassrab.9302

Grassrab.9302

Its stuck without the ice wall on gunars hold now aswell

Posted by: fiquare.2537

fiquare.2537

I may find out why you cannot reproduce the situation we meet in your test-servers.

Since Wintersday, the ice shield worked well only when the NUMBER OF PLAYERS are less than 20~30.

I’ve done this event several times during 2 am to 6 am (server time), and the ice shield works fine, but it remains bugged in the rest of the time. However, I also done several times that it functioned normally during 8 am to 3pm when there are a few players.

“20~30” is an approximate number I can count in my screen.

In addition, every time when a new build launches, the very first ice shield in the event is always good, and then the rest ice shields are bugged as usual.

Posted by: Sudden.8729

Sudden.8729

In addition, every time when a new build launches, the very first ice shield in the event is always good, and then the rest ice shields are bugged as usual.

I can vouch for that. The first patch that removed the Wintersday items; the first ice wall on Yak’s Bend did appear. I was thinking “that’s cool, Wintersday something must have messed it up” but after the first drop I never saw the proper spawn on any other spawn. Can’t talk on if it is after every patch or not though… kinda stopped desiring the annoyance of the event. Drove me to this thread though so shrug

Vandallias – Champion Hunter Too Seksi – Guardian
www.twitch.tv/the_chach – Random sPVP/WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

The problem seems to be connected to the amount of people there. When I am doing event at like 5 am and almost noone is there it works fine, during primetime it bugs every time.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

The bug happens %100 of the time. If it doesnt happen you devs, you are not using the darn client that we are playing.

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Posted by: sasoriza.5967

sasoriza.5967

This is happening on Riverside aswell. I actually thought ANet did this on purpose so people would start using the pact weapons o_O

Posted by: Pariah.1457

Pariah.1457

This is happening on Riverside aswell. I actually thought ANet did this on purpose so people would start using the pact weapons o_O

Well even the Flamethrowers and Bazookas don’t hit the wall 50-60% of the time…

Posted by: YuckaMountain.3786

YuckaMountain.3786

Reporting this bug from the Aurora Glade, this has been going on for a while now.

On other note, should I write bug reports to here in future or to use in game tool?

Attachments:

Posted by: Opt.3714

Opt.3714

On Jade Quarry, the shield was not bugged the very first time it came up during the very first run of the event after today’s maintenance patch/server reset. It was bugged the other two times it came up. Hope that helps.

http://opt.red/about Twitter: http://twitter.com/Opt__
Co-Leader, I Can Outtweet A Centaur! [TWIT] #twitguild
IGN: Optimus Maleficus

Posted by: laibros.3490

laibros.3490

We’ve had an extremely difficult time trying to reproduce this locally, but I added some safety measures to the ice shield to make sure it goes into its visible/attackable state if it’s alive. It’ll be in the end-of-month content update.

Hello, it might not help you but what I have noticed many times the shield became bugged (at the start of the Jormag) is when some veterans (usually elementals) stays around the place where the shield will spawn. I would recommend to spawn some veteran elementals and the second veteran npc which spawns from the final crystal around and on the place where Claw will land including location of the ice wall. Maybe there is a problem with dynamic environment collision reacting on NPC collisions.

But you prolly tried this).

(edited by laibros.3490)

Posted by: Cheby Shev.4671

Cheby Shev.4671

Here is an example from a few minutes ago on the FA server. Sorry I wasn’t able to time the screen capture to show the “Obstructed” message every time I swing at it, but it is obstructed. Clearly, it is still slowly destroyed using the Pact weapons, even though it’s not rendered correctly.

Attachments:

(edited by Cheby Shev.4671)

Posted by: Lenneth.1372

Lenneth.1372

Yeah, this morning the shield was up and there were VERY few players doing the event, 2nd time I did the Claw, the shield is in the ground again. And I have also noticed the first time the shield pops after a patch or reset, the shield is up.