Claw of Jormag Mob farming, FIX THIS!

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Lister.5678

Lister.5678

I don’t know if this is classed as a bug but it should be.

I know I am far from the only one fed up with this and has led me to have the worst experience on Guild Wars 2 since launch and I play every day.

I went to do Claw of Jormag – the dragon group event in Frostgorge Sound – and more than half the people there were wanting to sit and farm the mobs that come while you are attacking the corrupted shield to stun the dragon because they drop ‘rares’ that are arguably better than the chest drops for completing the event.

Those there are saying things like “If there were other things to do endgame we wouldn’t need to do this” pathetic justification in my opinion for childish antics. This is grieving as far as I’m concerned and obstructing other players from enjoying the game.

I have names of those advocating it which more than likely matter not but these can be seen in logs if needed – Jormag’s death at 22:00 server time.

This needs brought to light if it hasn’t already, it has really tainted by feelings about the game at the moment, added to by the amount of bots in game.

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

This is something that I do not enjoy, as well.

I know I have been in Grenth parties that prefer to fail Grenth @ the High Priest step in order to loop the events back around and farm more waves/karma. I myself have found myself not caring about failure, because heck, I could do with the loot.

I do find that Jormag tends to progress, though. I haven’t seen this issue firsthand, at least.

Possible Fix 1:
- Remove/nerf drop rates of mobs that spawn as a direct result of the event.
- Compensate for this by adding incentives to the end of the fight (chest, final boss drops)

The problem with this is obviously leechers that will just come for the end, and not actually assist with the event.

Possible Fix 2:
- Make an event failure possible. In this example, if it takes to long to kill Jormag, quest is over. You lose. Have some map consequence come about because of this failure.
- Compensate for the lower overall success rate (due to failure possibility) by slightly buffing drops across the board during the actual event.

Problem in this situation is getting griefed in certain events. For example, it is possible to fail Grenth for your entire group by simply standing next to Keeper, and drawing shades/ice spikes to you. If the consequences of failure are made to be more dire, so will the impact of griefing.

There is no perfect answer. However, if this game were to try to make the balance a bit better, i’d like to see what they come up with!

It would be slightly harder to code, but I would enjoy seeing a DPS counter to track how much damage you as an individual inflicted during the event. That could be worked into having people cross certain thresholds over the entire event in order to get the full reward at the end, and could prevent leechers that would only come at the end. In this case, fix #1 would become a more viable solution.

It would also give people a high score to shoot for, for fun/bragging rights, if it were displayed in a little screen upon completion of the event.

(edited by LFk.1408)

Posted by: Ferlonas.2847

Ferlonas.2847

I second the “failure” option. I mean: You make a dragon angry enough to come down to deal with you personally and he just sits there until you manage to kill him? Really?

Posted by: Soulweaver.2190

Soulweaver.2190

I just personally visited (and finished) Frostsound Gorge yesterday for the first time, and did the dragon event twice during that time. I was under the impression you’re supposed to kill the mob wave to protect the NPCs firing the cannons (the leading NPC even shouts something like “Incoming! Protect the cannons!”). Once the wave was over, most people ran over to grab bundles and shoot off the wall; there was just one wave per phase anyway, so where’s this supposed chance of abuse? I don’t know if I ended up with honest people or if you’re just imagining the problem, but I didn’t see anything that could be abused the way you describe it.

[FR] Furious Rising, Ring of Fire; Soul Weaver (N/Ranger/80), Kuang Steak (C/War/80),
Zephyrweaver (H/Ele/80), Dusk Weaver (A/Thief/80), Soulweaver (S/Mes),
Svàlinn (C/Guard), Exxíon (A/Engi/80), Spectrallum (S/Necro)

Posted by: lady krottos.7940

lady krottos.7940

I have never seen this but I don’t go out of my way to do the dragon fights. Reason being is the items from the chest are not worth the time and effort. As for farming the mobs instead of the dragon, yeah it’s lame but can you blame them? the only reason why people do the dragon fights is for the loots; if the adds are dropping better loots then you get from the chest, I would farm them too.

Posted by: nimajneb.3871

nimajneb.3871

The event eventually finishes, so you get your loot/reward off the dragon. The time spent fighting low level mobs is rewarded by the drops from them, so you could join in and reap those rewards yourself. If the dragon’s not going down in a timely fashion as far as you’re concerned, there’s many other zones and events to go check out that give the same rewards. Point being, with so much else in need of attention, why devote dev time to and event that’s actually functioning as intended? Just because it’s not working the way you think it should, doesn’t mean it’s broken.

Lister.5678

Buttercup.5871

Because you see, those “farmers” you so loathe are the very ones that make the event possible. Without them, there would not be enough DPS to kill the Claw of Jormag, or enough DPS to kill the mobs that will eventually kill you. Without those mob drops, their incentive to be there would be close to zero. Without those drops on the trade post, everything would be much more expensive. Yes, for you as well.

I’ll just have to say no, just no to that. That is exactly the silly justification for doing it that I was talking about. Not everyone does it, it’s split between people who actually want to enjoy the game and those who want to – in my opinion – exploit and do whatever they can possible to get gold and gear, just like those who farmed the grubs. I don’t want it to be cheap as hell, I want to be able to acquire these items legitimately and go to the trading post and not have it sell for much less than it should.

To the other things you said I didn’t quote, I have all the exotic gear from dungeons bar one. I don’t feel the need to do this crap over and over and over just for the sake of it. I earn gold fine at a steady rate, I have 35g at the minute and that’s after spending a lot on gems. This whole “acquisition of gold has been nerfed so much we have to do this” stuff is just, sigh, I’m sorry but it’s just pathetic justification like I said before.

I’m fine for doing the mobs for two or three rounds but doing it over and over is something I could imagine myself wanting to do when I was 15 odd thinking I was ‘cool’ for doing it.

The more it’s done the more it will get nerfed so I just have to play the waiting game.

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Make screenshots and report them for exploiting; that’s what I did.

Try fighting the Claw of Jormag when a bunch of people constantly tell people not to attack the dragon so they can farm the elementals. And then spamming chat that they are going afk, hoping it will take us a long time to kill the dragon just out of spite for not following their decree to ’Don’t attack the dragon so we can farm elementals!’ and generally making derogatory/rude remarks.

And then they really do nothing during the last phase except run over to loot the chest when we finally manage to kill him after 50 minutes!

So what should have been a cool event in theory is destroyed when ‘farmers’ are around that offer no assistance whatsoever and actively (and vocally) abuse the mechanics of the fight just to spite the ones that want to play the event as intended in my humble opinion.

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: Taz.2394

Taz.2394

Why would you report them for exploiting? I fail to see how it’s an exploit. If the ads drop better things than the chest then why not do it? Most people is actually killing the dragon for loots, not to feel cool because you took down a giant lizard.

qT (Quantify) | Shy | Elementalist

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

See, this is why you go to a server without people like that. Yay Crystal Desert, at least from my experience.

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

Do not nerf the drops, drops are already bad enough. They need to stop these loop events though and make it so they fail and they reset at a determined time. It’s hard enough tagging mobs when there’s 30 or more people there.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

Posted by: Aveneo.2068

Aveneo.2068

Why would you report them for exploiting? I fail to see how it’s an exploit. If the ads drop better things than the chest then why not do it? Most people is actually killing the dragon for loots, not to feel cool because you took down a giant lizard.

They don’t, just the small chance to drop something more valuable like any other mob in the zone. But people entice others to ignore the boss so they can farm the adds and make claims that they got Dusk or some other precursor from farming them.

Now don’t get me wrong here, I have no issue with some people staying behind to clean up to adds that are being spawned by the boss. I do have an issue with people spamming the chat about not to attack the dragon so they can farm adds endlessly, and then -out of spite- not helping out during the last phase and making rude comments (generally trolling the chat).

So that’s why I am reporting such individuals. And I didn’t just report them for exploiting. I reported them for exploiting, griefing, spamming and insulting other members of the community.

I hope this clarifies things somewhat

Valiant Aislinn – Aveneo Lightbringer – Shalene Amuriel – Dread Cathulu
Fojja – Vyxxi – Nymmra – Mymmra – Champion of Dwayna .. and more

Highly Over Powered Explorers [HOPE] – Desolation EU

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

The best way to “fix” events like this, and the grub spawns from Risen Giants is to have the mobs only be triggered when the boss gets to certain HP points.

I’m lucky that Henge doesn’t have people who do this, at least at the times I’ve been at the Claw fight.

The bigger problem on Henge is that we get a lot of people who do nothing but afk-range the dragon from that perch, and don’t assist in taking down the pillars. Then come back and whine because not enough people are working on the pillars, and the kill is taking too long. One night there were over 30 people in the perch, 10-15 in the freezing ice attacking the dragon, and 5 trying to manage all the pillars.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Lister.5678

Sarisa.4731

The bigger problem on Henge is that we get a lot of people who do nothing but afk-range the dragon from that perch, and don’t assist in taking down the pillars. Then come back and whine because not enough people are working on the pillars, and the kill is taking too long. One night there were over 30 people in the perch, 10-15 in the freezing ice attacking the dragon, and 5 trying to manage all the pillars.

Exactly what was going on the past few times I done it, especially later on at night

Posted by: Booler.6598

Booler.6598

For arguments sake you could farm anywhere on any map , it makes ZERO difference if you farm the elementals it does not affect in any way the numbers who are going to kill jawmag himself as they could just be farming somewhere else. Egging people on is not ok but you don’t jump off a cliff when someone saiz to so just ignore them. In no way is it an exploit and you should be very cautious about reporting to anet about silly things from experience you might find the hammer swings at you instead, and I will this because reporting for that is obsurd.

Always in all ways

Posted by: Novos Phantos.2408

Novos Phantos.2408

Sigh… Isn’t GW2’s motto something along the lines of Play the game the way that you enjoy????
If people enjoy farming mobs (As long as they are not botting) who are we to say no. Just because you might not enjoy doing it does not mean that they should have to stop. As long as people are not exploiting or harassing (and this is not an exploit) let them be.

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

Sigh… Isn’t GW2’s motto something along the lines of Play the game the way that you enjoy????
If people enjoy farming mobs (As long as they are not botting) who are we to say no. Just because you might not enjoy doing it does not mean that they should have to stop. As long as people are not exploiting or harassing (and this is not an exploit) let them be.

This

If people want to take the time farming a lvl 83 mob in hopes of a rare drop then let them.
Its not often and they wont be there every fight to do it.

Keep screaming and crying nerf and this game wont be playable.

Posted by: jokermo.3058

jokermo.3058

actually i have to say something here im on isle of janthir server and have done that event several times and
honestly i cant see why anyone would do it over and over
having said this i personally have waited around for at least 3 times to do the event
only on the first time did i get anything even gold and that was just two pistol and a warhorn
on the other two times i actually waited each time at the location for the dragon and when done
several times in a row the drops become blues and maybe greens

but my point is that the drops are diminished each time you repeat the event without actually doing other things

you have to wait til next day just to get decent drops again from the event
and this was something i tested myself just to settle a disagreement me and my cousin had

i will repeat this test to make certain that this is a correct assessment

Lister.5678

Angelous.1042

This

If people want to take the time farming a lvl 83 mob in hopes of a rare drop then let them.
Its not often and they wont be there every fight to do it.

Keep screaming and crying nerf and this game wont be playable.

Sure, but the oh soo terrible loot the chest gives that they continue through the event to loot like the hypocrites they are says otherwise. No sensible developer/designer is going to agree that leeching from an event to just loot a chest at the end is ok.

Booler.6598

For arguments sake you could farm anywhere on any map , it makes ZERO difference if you farm the elementals it does not affect in any way the numbers who are going to kill jawmag himself as they could just be farming somewhere else.

Just like I said to the other guy, the people still continue to the chest that everyone else has put the effort in for.

This is going to be fixed eventually unless they’re going to do a Blizzard and just leave silly stuff in their game.