Clicking on screen icon doesn't read.

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Why does the game not register a click of an on screen icon if your mouse pointer leaves the field before depressing the button? This has been a major in game issue. Especially the heat of combat, where it can be easy to be moving the mouse before the button’s depressed.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

“depressing” means “pushing down” — do you mean that it doesn’t register if you move off the icon before you “release”, or “take your finger off”, or “lift”, the mouse button?

Beyond that, I have no comments on this being a bug or not, but I will note that in most MMOs the behaviour is to register actions on release, not press, though some offer facilities to choose which you prefer.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Why does the game not register a click of an on screen icon if your mouse pointer leaves the field before depressing the button? This has been a major in game issue. Especially the heat of combat, where it can be easy to be moving the mouse before the button’s depressed.

If your mouse pointer leaves the field before depressing the button, which would be clicking the button, how would the pointer know you wanted to click over there, when the pointer is somewhere else when you clicked (depressed the button)?

I’m confused.

Depressing means letting off ie. not pressing the button. The de prefix means not. By the way WOW has the option to have to the game register a button click on press or on depress.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Depressing means letting off ie. not pressing the button. The de prefix means not. By the way WOW has the option to have to the game register a button click on press or on depress.

Technically correct, but “depress” also has additional, specific, meanings in English, which override the general rule. Sadly, this does mean that like “flamable” and “inflamable”, we have two words which sound intuitively the opposite, but actually mean literally the same thing.

Sad but true. English is a terrible language.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

pressing and depressing have the same meaning when it comes to things like buttons, the opposite being releasing the button.

like SlippyCheeze.5483 mentioned, activation of skills in MMO’s is quite often on button release, not on the initial press

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, in English, depressing means to press down. So, you can see how what you wrote can be confusing.

Every once in a while English trips me up with odd word usage, and counter intuitive meanings. My point was that having the action on the nonpress makes it a strange skill cancel that can actually cause more problems in combat especially with highly active combat such as this game is focusing on.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think you mean release, rather than non-press. =)

Just so there’s less confusion in the future.

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

I’m puzzled by this, because I can’t get the behaviour the OP describes at all. The only way I can get a skill to activate on release rather than press (I’ve tried with both keyboard and mouse) is a ground targeted skill with activation set to ‘Fast with Range Indicator’. In all other cases, with all other settings, the skill activates on press, even if the mouse slides off the button. The issue sounds like it’s more likely to be skill lag.

On the subject of press/depress, I’ve always been vaguely amused by the wording used in the UK on jars to describe the lid’s anti-tamper button – ‘May be depressed if opened.’ Makes me feel bad for upsetting the lid whenever I open a jar.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

…the wording used in the UK on jars to describe the lid’s anti-tamper button – ‘May be depressed if opened.’ Makes me feel bad for upsetting the lid whenever I open a jar.

Lol. That’s classic.

I’ve seen translations into English with that sort of … misunderstanding, but it’s rare in English written by & for native speakers.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I like the current mechanic, because sometimes I accidentally hit a skill or target, and then simply moving the pointer away from it, then releasing the MB, is a good solution.

Ashantara.8731

I understand for many that is helpful, when I played WOW I preferred that method. In this game I’ve rarely needed that cancel at all if ever. Yet having weapon swap or a skill not activate has on more that one occasion meant death by frustration. I would like the option of choice is what I’m asking, not that everyone likes the same thing.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I understand for many that is helpful, when I played WOW I preferred that method. In this game I’ve rarely needed that cancel at all if ever. Yet having weapon swap or a skill not activate has on more that one occasion meant death by frustration. I would like the option of choice is what I’m asking, not that everyone likes the same thing.

Actually, having an option in the settings would be great.

What you described has happened to me to on several occassions, so not sure which variant I would prefer in the long run, and being able to choose would help.