Compatibility issues with Windows 10

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Shoockwave.3950

Shoockwave.3950

Hello! Anet!

Once you have upgraded my operating system to Windows 10 on the last day 29/07 the GW2 game is having problems after logging into the game the same after a while is giving CRASH or game screen is all black, I believe this is one incompatibility with Windows 10.

I wonder if you’re going to shed some fix for this problem because it is happening to many people!

All my drivers are upgraded to Windows 10 and this problem is only going to GW2, with other game the same are operating normally!

’ve done the game client and repair the problem continues!

Thank you and we are awaiting!

| Yak’s Bend: Norn Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Guild: Ultimate Legion [UL] – Hardcore PvP PvE WvW.

Posted by: Darcwolf.6817

Darcwolf.6817

Just got done playing for 2 hours on Win 10, working fine here.

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

Game is unplayable on Windows 10 x64 here.

-Installed a clean copy of 8.1. Upgraded to Windows 10.
-Installed updates and Nvidia’s latest drivers, 353.62
-Installed DirectX
-Repaired the game client, deleted local.dat (latter being pointless because it was local.dat for my previous install of windows 8.1)

I can’t play the game in Windows 10 for more than five minutes before a crash to desktop. No warning, nothing, the application just exits.

I also usually lose the cursor before this happens, though not always.

I also reinstalled my mouse drivers just in case that caused the cursor issue, but no luck.

I still have my old windows 8.1 install on a separate drive. Game still works flawlessly here on 8.1

Core2Quad Q9650
Geforce 970 GTX
8 GB ram

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

(edited by Halcyon.7352)

Posted by: Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Halcyon, I know there’s an issue with Windows 10 forcing driver updates and I know it was pushing out an Nvidia update that caused havoc with people’s machines. So even though you downloaded the drivers right from Nvidia, it’s possible Windows 10 with their auto driver updating may have over wrote the drivers you manually installed. Just a thought.

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

Just got done playing for 2 hours on Win 10, working fine here.

Same. Only error I get is a short buzz when opening the client (right before character selection screen).

Got a clean install of Win10, no upgrade.

Halcyon.7352

It appears my issue was caused by my GPU manufacturer’s software, EVGA PrecisionX 16 as suggested here

I have no idea if it’s an incompatibility with 353.62 or what, but disabling PrecisionX suddenly makes GW2 stable. The current version, 5.3.6, claims to be Windows 10 compatible.

I don’t seem to have any issues in other games with PrecisionX though, which is odd.

For the toast!

Posted by: Utlagi.4257

Utlagi.4257

something is broke in the current nvidia drivers because Im using a MSI 770 and just got the black screen of death.

Shoockwave.3950

Hello! Anet!

Once you have upgraded my operating system to Windows 10 on the last day 29/07 the GW2 game is having problems after logging into the game the same after a while is giving CRASH or game screen is all black, I believe this is one incompatibility with Windows 10.

I wonder if you’re going to shed some fix for this problem because it is happening to many people!

All my drivers are upgraded to Windows 10 and this problem is only going to GW2, with other game the same are operating normally!

I inform you that already reinstalled all drivers to support Windows 10 and already noticed the GW2 client put the problem continues!

during the game, a black screen appears and I can not do anything, and that’s finds!

They could answer how this problem will be solved !? As it is happening to many people and the same already reported in GW2 forum.

Posted by: HGLatinBoy.9174

HGLatinBoy.9174

A couple of things I’ve noticed since switching to windows 10

When you start the game up in normal mode there a loud scratching noise. I found work around for this by switching to compatibility mode (Windows 8 ) and it that would be 90% okay BUT another bug arises where the UI starts to flicker when in Windowed Mode and only in Windowed Mode.

What other Windows 10 bugs have you guys found?

- Loud Scratch sound at Start Up
- UI flickering when in Fullscreen AND compatibility mode

(edited by HGLatinBoy.9174)

Shoockwave.3950

I inform you that already reinstalled all drivers to support Windows 10 and already noticed the GW2 client put the problem continues!
during the game, a black screen appears and I can not do anything, and that’s finds!
You could answer how this problem will be solved !?

Shoockwave.3950

Hello! Anet!

They could answer how this problem will be solved !? As it is happening to many people and the same already reported in GW2 forum.

What other Windows 10 bugs have you guys found?

- Loud Scratch sound at Start Up
- UI flickering when in Fullscreen AND compatibility mode

Shoockwave.3950

Anet Hello!

You or developers could give us an answer on this problem you are having with various people !?

Posted by: BLTsub.5426

BLTsub.5426

I personally upgraded to windows 10 with all updated drivers and video driver( AMD ), so far no crash, but there is that very LOUD scratch sound at start up. It sure freak me out a couple of times until i realize that it was gw2 client doing it

HGLatinBoy.9174

See my post on how to stop the scratching sound.

Posted by: Thomas.9670

Thomas.9670

Anet Hello!

You or developers could give us an answer on this problem you are having with various people !?

I suggest that you report this problem to support! They will assist you further.

https://help.guildwars2.com/anonymous_requests/new

Posted by: Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

Lord Arhan Warmark.7098

I haven’t experienced any game difficulties since I installed Windows 10. AMD 7970 here. Haven’t noticed a scratching sound. Are you guys all using onboard audio? Digital headsets? Sound cards? It’ll probably help with the troubleshooting if you identify what you’re using for sound. I haven’t had to run the game in compatibility mode. Also, what are your sound settings in game?

Shoockwave.3950

Anet!

You could answer how this problem will be solved !?

Posted by: Arbriel.4397

Arbriel.4397

Okay, I am experiencing a problem with Win 10 Pro 64 in that when I hit play on the GW2 launcher all that happens is that my screen flickers and GW2 quits.

Any idea what might be causing the issue?

The Arbriel Family and dynasty of characters have been around since inception in 2001.

Arbriel.4397

I have resolved the issue and it was the display settings conflicting with GW2 & Win 10. After setting the display to what I want 2715×1527 in Win 10 & GW2 with SLi enabled and DSR I managed to get GW2 to run much better. I also applied admin mode to GW2.

The Arbriel Family and dynasty of characters have been around since inception in 2001.

HGLatinBoy.9174

I haven’t experienced any game difficulties since I installed Windows 10. AMD 7970 here. Haven’t noticed a scratching sound. Are you guys all using onboard audio? Digital headsets? Sound cards? It’ll probably help with the troubleshooting if you identify what you’re using for sound. I haven’t had to run the game in compatibility mode. Also, what are your sound settings in game?

I’ve seen people talking about this using onboard sound. I’m actually using an Sound Blaster Z soundcard.

Posted by: Teknomancer.4895

Teknomancer.4895

Running reasonably well on Win10 so far…I’ve noticed some lag issues with keyboard commands (might be a Logitech wireless thing), and when rezoning the screen starts off dim then comes up to normal brightness (almost certainly related to the NVidia issue). Other than those two minor annoyances, it runs just fine.

Diplomatic Dictators [DD] guild (Kaineng): http://gw2dd.enjin.com/

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Has everyone tried updating all the various drivers (graphics, sound, etc) to Win 10 from the company websites? I have had zero issue with Win 10 and GW2, but when I get black screens it’s typically a driver error in my experience. Either that or my RAM/graphics card is dying …

L’enfer, c’est les autres

Arbriel.4397

Running reasonably well on Win10 so far…I’ve noticed some lag issues with keyboard commands (might be a Logitech wireless thing), and when rezoning the screen starts off dim then comes up to normal brightness (almost certainly related to the NVidia issue). Other than those two minor annoyances, it runs just fine.

I also have the rezoning issue where the screen starts off dim and then comes up to normal brightness, sometimes it stays dim and I rezone again to get the screen to come back up to normal brightness.

Another issue I am having is that when rezoning my desktop flashes up momentarily and then back into GW2 and loads. I have already checked permissions and ensured that everything is check marked for my user account name in Win 10 along with everyone although I am the sole user of the computer.

2x Nvidia 660s by Asus.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

The problem is not GW2 .. its NVidia and their crappy drivers. For some it helps
installing the newest .. for other it helps to go back 10 versions or whatever.

Havent seen any post so far of people with ATI cars have problems.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Halcyon.7352

So far 353.62 is actually proving to be -stable- for me.

Every other 35×.xx driver in Win 8.1 resulted in repeated and constant display adapter crashes (Windows TDR soft crashes) in games, and even idle in Windows. The last reliable driver being 347.88.

Also for anyone experiencing issues with Precision X as I was: v. 5.3.5 works fine for me. 5.3.6 is the one causing me all sorts of issues.

For the toast!

Arbriel.4397

So far this is what Nvidia have to say about this issue:

Since the issue is there only with this game and other users are also experiencing the issue with this game on win 10, it seems to be some sort of compatibility issue of the game with win 10. If it had been card/ driver issue, other games would also get affected.

I don’t play anything else and so I cannot say if other games are affected.

Posted by: J Wallace.9458

J Wallace.9458

After logging in and pressing ‘Play’ from the launcher, as soon as the actual game window opens on my machine there’s an extraordinarily loud distortion sound for a fraction of a second. It’s actually become necessary for me to turn off my speakers before launching the game because it’s so extraordinarily loud.

Once in game, there are no issues and everything functions as expected, but I want to express again how horribly loud this is – it seems to entirely disregard system volume settings hence outright disabling speakers before launch.

This began when I updated to Windows 10, and my first though was imperfect drivers, but precisely the same thing happens on two Windows 10 machines – one running an integrated Realtek the other a Creative Labs X-Fi discrete soundcard. It also occurs on both machines when using a USB headset – so I’m disinclined to suspect individual drivers, rather some odd behaviour when the game’s audio engine initialises in Windows 10.

I can provide System Information from both machines if desired, but it seems to be readily reproducible without specific hardware.