Consistently crashing in Teq

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

My last three attempts at Teq ended with a crash. Fortunately the last one I was in a party and could eventually port back.

I’m wondering if this is a common thing.

The error report when it crashes mentions OOM (Out Of Memory), but this makes no sense as I have 16GB ram on a 64bit win7 OS.

I’ve reloaded the whole GW2 client to no avail (still crashes). Anyone know what the problem could be?

Posted by: UnknownFreak.2805

UnknownFreak.2805

That’s normal these days, cause 32bit client. Nothing you can do but lower them settings or risk a crash, or you can go yolomode and hope for the best every time.

How to crashreport…
Someone say game crash must be related to OOM
when you read the log it’s not related to that whatsoever…

Posted by: Vague Memory.2817

Vague Memory.2817

The thing is I doubt this is happening to everyone, so I presume there is a specific reason for it.

Why does it think I’m out of memory? A memory leak maybe?

Posted by: Ampa.2749

Ampa.2749

I’ve noticed this getting worse over the past month or so. It’s not just Teq, it’s anywhere there is a big event. My client crashes, goes into the “serious error, click send to report..” but I can’t ever click send because it’s too dead. Usually the music keeps playing. Sometimes I can use Task Manager to kill the remaining client app, but I’ve had to actually reboot to get my PC back. I’ve got a gaming machine, lots of memory and CPU. If this is a 32-bit issue, we should all be experience it.

What settings can we adjust to reduce memory usage?

Guardian, Engineer, Elementalist, Mesmer, Thief, Necro

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Crashes-in-game-no-discernible-pattern/5309010

Lowering your graphics settings should help. You may also want to restart your client as close to Teq as you can.

As others have said, GW2 is a 32bit application. So it can only address between 3-4 GB of memory itself. This is normally enough, even at max settings. However, the game dynamically allocates memory – so when the game needs to put something in memory, it finds a spot and drops that bit of data in. Later when it doesn’t need it, it release the parts it doesn’t need. Over time, the memory that game can use can become fragmented into many small pieces. At some point, something is going to need more space than what is available in a contiguous chunk. That’s when most of those out of memory crashes happen.

(This is a rough description, there may be parts of the explanation that aren’t exactly what happen, but should be close enough to be understood.)

Posted by: Chobits.2430

Chobits.2430

It could be any number of reasons. It is very possible, the problem isn’t the game, but something else. It is impossible for us to say for sure what is causing the issue, so it is going to take some troubleshooting on your part.

Start with performing a Microsoft System File Check. This is the first thing you should always do when starting to troubleshoot computer issues in Windows. It will scan your system for OS corruption and try to repair it. Open an Administrative Command Prompt and type the command ‘sfc /scannow’. One of three things will result from this scan: 1. It will find nothing wrong. 2. It will find corruption that it was able to repair. 3. It found corruption that it was unable to repair.

If the OS had repairable corruption you will want to know why so run virus and malware scans. Make sure you are using something like ESET v8, MalwareBytes, ADWCleaner, Roguekiller64. You may also want to perform diagnostics on the hard drive using something like Parted Magic. If corruption is found and cannot be repaired, sorry but you are going to be reloading your OS.

You may also want to try the following:
Using msconfig to disable all startup programs.
Updating all your drivers.
Making sure Windows is up to date.
Clean and repair the Windows registry with CCleaner.

Start with these steps and see what it turns up and get back to us.

(edited by Chobits.2430)