Crafting at 400

Crafting at 400

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: imi.4068

imi.4068

Q:

Can anyone from ANET please confirm if we are allowed to still craft at 400 on our characters. There is a certain effect that we aren’t really sure is intended or not happening on disciplines that can’t be leveled to 500 yet. Not really sure if I should post exactly what is happening but this should probably help you figure out what.

Any kind of official response would really help so we at least know where we stand.

[SF] Strike Force
Praise Jedsus
Jade Quarry

(edited by imi.4068)

Crafting at 400

imi.4068

A:

FYI – Josh Davis posted the following:

This is not intended behavior. We should have a fix coming out soon to correct the issue.
In the meantime, I would avoid continued exploitation of this bug.

So do not craft until this is fixed.

[SF] Strike Force
Praise Jedsus
Jade Quarry

Crafting at 400

Posted by: Stark.5046

Stark.5046

I would like to know as well. I tested this and as far as I’m aware, cooking is definitely one of the professions you can do this on. However, is this classed as an exploit? If a person does it, they still have to spend karma and money to actually get the mats to do this.

Worried that if I leveled my engineer through this method I’d be banned for exploiting (see the snowflake incident from December). An Anet reply asap would be lovely.

Crafting at 400

imi.4068

This update did not make any changes to this. I’m starting to believe this is an intended change and not a bug.

[SF] Strike Force
Praise Jedsus
Jade Quarry

Crafting at 400

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

First, please email exploits@arena.net to make sure the devs are aware of the issue.

for the rest: the tl;dr is: don’t panic! Play the game as you always have done, and you won’t be affected by any action ANet takes about this.
——————-
Second, since we cannot avoid the side-effect while crafting, I am not worrying about this at all. ANet has yet to intentionally punish people for unintended consequences of playing the game normally.

However, some people are using this loophole to gain a major advantage in the marketplace. This is exactly the sort of thing that ANet has suspended and banned people for in the past. For a variety of reasons, there’s a huge grey area between the first group (people accidentally getting a bonus from crafting) and the second (people crafting in order to get that bonus).

How do you know if you are in the first group (no risk) or the second? Simple: if you are doing this as a consequence of crafting, leveling up your discipline, or otherwise not going out of your way to craft, you’re fine. However, those who are spending an hour at the crafting stations crafting tens of thousands of the same item (and possibly even throwing it away) are obviously exploiting the system. Sure, there’s a group of people in the habit of crafting 10,000 items in a session, but it’s a tiny fraction of the population — they are easily identified by past patterns of behavior.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Crafting at 400

Posted by: Pyrubian.6743

Pyrubian.6743

Anet response here plz?

Crafting at 400

imi.4068

First, please email exploits@arena.net to make sure the devs are aware of the issue.

I did report the issue, both ingame and by email.

The ability to distinguish between normal and abnormal crafting in this case really doesn’t make any sense. You gain levels/experience, not directly gold/currency.

I think most people would simply want a statement from any dev if this is an intended change or not, and if this will turn into another snowflake banning spree.

[SF] Strike Force
Praise Jedsus
Jade Quarry

Crafting at 400

Posted by: Termick.6102

Termick.6102

Dev required to oficially state their stance on this bug (?).

Crafting at 400

Posted by: Hyuri.8795

Hyuri.8795

Came here to ask the very same question. Stumbled over this bug at 2 o’clock last night and reported it.
A few hours ago the latest patch went live, no word on this issue and it’s still working (or not working as intended).

If not with a solution, ANet really should come by with a statement faster. The situation as it is right now is extremely frustrating. Am I exploiting when I’m crafting the buffood for my team for the next FotM run? Or is the only way to find that out to get banned or not in a few days?

Crafting at 400

Posted by: Sherlock.2035

Sherlock.2035

/sign. Looking for some sort of official reply.

Crafting at 400

Posted by: Brutus.8023

Brutus.8023

Came here to ask the very same question. Stumbled over this bug at 2 o’clock last night and reported it.
A few hours ago the latest patch went live, no word on this issue and it’s still working (or not working as intended).

If not with a solution, ANet really should come by with a statement faster. The situation as it is right now is extremely frustrating. Am I exploiting when I’m crafting the buffood for my team for the next FotM run? Or is the only way to find that out to get banned or not in a few days?

May i ask what is the bug?Does the craftings still give exp. at 400 or something else?

Crafting at 400

Posted by: Dembian.9257

Dembian.9257

i kind of want to do this to level up my character faster with the recent change to proffessions only giving 9 levels plus i would intend to keep some of the orichiculum ingots im making for my legendary

is this legit or no?

Crafting at 400

Hyuri.8795

Does the craftings still give exp. at 400?

Exactly.

Crafting at 400

Posted by: NiftyNags.7946

NiftyNags.7946

I would also like to know, but my guess is that this is unintentional, and they probably will not comment on it until it is fixed. I have a bunch of stuff that I’ve been saving to craft food for profit, and now that the price is decent, I’m wondering if I should do it on my alt for some extra levels, or if I should just hold off completely.

Crafting at 400

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

Does this mean we shouldn’t make any lvl 400 recipes so we don’t get caught up in a banwave?

Crafting at 400

Posted by: Genfoos.4587

Genfoos.4587

I would also like a response from a Dev on this issue. I discovered this earlier and used it to gain some levels on my Engi before it dawned on me that this might be considered an exploit. Wondering if I need to delete that char to avoid a ban or suspension.

edit: Went ahead and deleted the char to hopefully avoid any suspension. Didn’t feel right gaining 40+ levels in a matter of minutes anyways.

(edited by Genfoos.4587)

Crafting at 400

Posted by: TheDemon.4705

TheDemon.4705

I was leveling an alt by cooking to 400. At 400 I wanted to craft some Omnomberry Bars for my higher levels and went afk…I came back and stopped after I noticed I had gained quite a few levels. Would hate to be banned because of this.

Crafting at 400

Posted by: Zumy.6318

Zumy.6318

I was going to craft 7.5k Mango pies for Guild and trading purposes. After crafting the fillings while I watched a movie i had gained 130 levels in 10 minutes…
Now I noticed that because of this “feature” the prices of mango pies is terrible so I guess everybody is abusing this. I dont even know if I am allowed to craft the pies out of the fillings as I guess that this will be another 130 levels in 10 minutes.

Please Gaile, tell us something :-(.

Thief | Zumy [Buka]
Legendary counter: Twilight, Bolt, Incinerator, Incinerator Nr. 2, Meteorlogicus, The Dreamer

Crafting at 400

Posted by: Raven.9731

Raven.9731

I’ve heard of the bug and I can’t say it’s not very tempting to go craft a million of something to get my alt from 25ish to 80 in a matter of minutes.

However, until ANet either fixes it or says something on the matter, I wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole. Hell, I get the heebie-jeebies while crafting an earring on my 80 to sell on the TP.

Crafting at 400

Posted by: dbgfeller.8120

dbgfeller.8120

I accidentally made a new char, learned cooking 400 and lvld up to 80 by making 4000 omnomberrybars while reading “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” because ummm.. I was VERY hungry! :P

Crafting at 400

Hyuri.8795

I was going to craft 7.5k Mango pies for Guild and trading purposes. After crafting the fillings while I watched a movie i had gained 130 levels in 10 minutes…
Now I noticed that because of this “feature” the prices of mango pies is terrible so I guess everybody is abusing this. I dont even know if I am allowed to craft the pies out of the fillings as I guess that this will be another 130 levels in 10 minutes.

Please Gaile, tell us something :-(.

EXACTLY what happened to me and how I first discovered this bug, including the price dropping into oblivion as apparently a whole lot of players are still (ab?)using this. I hope we are not open-eyedly running into another ‘snowflake affair’. ANet (and those still amassing skillpoints) should really know better by now =.=
I stopped crafting after I found out where all those skillpoints came from, but that’s obviously no solution.

Edit: spelling.

Crafting at 400

Posted by: Lowellollipop.5817

Lowellollipop.5817

We need an official statement on this and we need it now!

Crafting at 400

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

I found out yesterday too. There’s a thread on the crafting forum about this as well. Sent an email to the exploit address, and notified support. I really hope they address this soon as I dare not continue with crafting without clarification on the matter.

Crafting at 400

imi.4068

I think ANET is not responding to this for a reason, and we will just have to await patch notes.

[SF] Strike Force
Praise Jedsus
Jade Quarry

Crafting at 400

Posted by: RukKus.4569

RukKus.4569

Am I the only one who thought this “bug” was an intended change? I’ve been crafting hundreds/thousands of items per day for awhile, and all of the sudden I get EXP from it. I figured “Yay they are rewarding crafters now!” Then the news came out it’s a bug. I’d like to know how I can prevent any discipline ? I’ve heard of people getting banned before in the past for using bugs… but mass-production crafting is one of the ways I gain money in this game … how was I supposed to know ? :

Crafting at 400

Posted by: dbgfeller.8120

dbgfeller.8120

“Fixed a bug that allowed players to continue to gain experience while crafting in the Armorsmith, Chef, Jeweler, Leatherworker, and Tailor disciplines after reaching level 400.”