Create character to black screen,

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Beat Bandito.3718

Beat Bandito.3718

I cannot create a new character,
Right after I click create, the screen goes black, i still see my cursor, hear the game sound,
I CAN play the first character I created,
I tried with lowest/highest graphics, Vsync off/on.
Updated my 6850 drivers, tried beta drivers, tried restarting PC,
Tried -repair and it finds nothing to repair,
Please help me.

(edited by Beat Bandito.3718)

Posted by: JamesSF.2708

JamesSF.2708

Now having the same problem…..

Beat Bandito.3718

The first time I tried -repair it did nothing, no progress nothing, just a page that said 0% and then closed, I tried it again and now its actually, working, little progress bar slowly going at it… we’ll see..

Beat Bandito.3718

Repair didn’t change nothing..

Posted by: lyon.8573

lyon.8573

man i have the same here

Posted by: theProdigy.8031

theProdigy.8031

I am having the same problem

Posted by: artelis.5469

artelis.5469

Same problem here.

Beat Bandito.3718

Reinstalling my game did not work*

Beat Bandito.3718

WTH is going on!

Posted by: Kstan.4708

Kstan.4708

Same thing is happening to me. Rest of the game works fine.

Posted by: Squam.8145

Squam.8145

Same problem tried adjusting graphics settings, nothing fixes it. Menu still works when pressing F11 same with the mouse and music…

Posted by: Night Spawwn.8095

Night Spawwn.8095

same problem here !!! WTF its happening

Posted by: Aurokr.5042

Aurokr.5042

Here is the Fix

At the Character Creation Screen, you have to choose World Selection and pick a random server to Guest to for 24 hours. I assume it refreshes your account and will now allow you to create a new character. I was having this problem earlier today with my computer and my fiancee’s. Worked for both of us.

Posted by: Echo.2054

Echo.2054

@Aurokr I just tried that and it didn’t help. Is anyone else having any luck?

Posted by: Squam.8145

Squam.8145

@Echo Same nothing for me either with that “Fix”

Posted by: Omega.7298

Omega.7298

Here is the Fix

At the Character Creation Screen, you have to choose World Selection and pick a random server to Guest to for 24 hours. I assume it refreshes your account and will now allow you to create a new character. I was having this problem earlier today with my computer and my fiancee’s. Worked for both of us.

sigh Wish this wasn’t my first character and it didn’t bring me to the black screen by default now that I’ve selected a server.

Posted by: Escrean.9461

Escrean.9461

i have the same problem … anybody can help?

Posted by: Aldruhan.6578

Aldruhan.6578

yeah i’m suffering the same problem. but in a way i hope there just getting all the stuff ready for the heart of thornes expansion so they might be working on putting them in or even bringing out a new race to play which would be good. but yeah still suffering the black screen on character creation.

Posted by: Jellyjamm.4807

Jellyjamm.4807

same problem here

JamesSF.2708

Same here , sent in a ticket.. and so far just got the Canned response to wait……

Posted by: Ryukaaxx.8270

Ryukaaxx.8270

Same problem all day, game was working great then nothing

Posted by: Gnine.3954

Gnine.3954

Same problem for both my gf and I, except we cant’ even get to the character creation portion. Loads up Character screen and goes black right after, occasionally get a glimpse of the screen. I was able to load everything initially but after deleting all my characters to switch homes for no charge, I started to have the problem as well.

After some time of letting it sit, it did give me a connection error (after 5-10min)

Posted by: iStrawHat.3785

iStrawHat.3785

same problem for me too. I tried everything

Posted by: jmt.8517

jmt.8517

same issue here, on both my accounts.

Posted by: Cirrus.9170

Cirrus.9170

Still going on. Can’t create a character, just black screen with a cursor.

Posted by: Abelincon.7392

Abelincon.7392

Same going on for me, thought i was going crazy. Recently got new 21:9 34" monitor and thought it was a bug with game on wide formats.

Posted by: Tekrek.2375

Tekrek.2375

Yeah, I’m thinking it’s an issue with new accounts. This happened to me earlier when I wanted to start a ranger because I only have one of my four slots filled with a character. I tried everything from updated to downgraded drivers, ran the repair, tested EVERY SINGLE resolution, changed settings to minimum, maximum, and even tried doing it on my laptop(and yes I tried restarting). Nothing changed. So I asked my friend who had recently bought the game when it was on sale like me if he could crate a character, and nada. So then I asked another friend who recently started and he too couldn’t create anything new. After realizing the common denominator of everyone being new I asked one more person who has had an account for a year+ if he could do anything, and wouldn’t you know it he could create one(or that’s what he told me at least).

Posted by: Abelincon.7392

Abelincon.7392

Yeah, I’m thinking it’s an issue with new accounts. This happened to me earlier when I wanted to start a ranger because I only have one of my four slots filled with a character. I tried everything from updated to downgraded drivers, ran the repair, tested EVERY SINGLE resolution, changed settings to minimum, maximum, and even tried doing it on my laptop(and yes I tried restarting). Nothing changed. So I asked my friend who had recently bought the game when it was on sale like me if he could crate a character, and nada. So then I asked another friend who recently started and he too couldn’t create anything new. After realizing the common denominator of everyone being new I asked one more person who has had an account for a year+ if he could do anything, and wouldn’t you know it he could create one(or that’s what he told me at least).

My account is not that new, over a year old.

Posted by: Swizzi.3725

Swizzi.3725

Same issue. Just finished downloading, ran the game and then black screen.

Posted by: Axamana.2960

Axamana.2960

I’m having the same problem. I try to create a new character and it goes to a black screen. Game music and cursor are there but nothing else. I have to alt+tab out and shut down the game via task manager. I have 6 of 8 character slots filled and have had this account for 2 years so it’s not a new account thing

Posted by: razzle frazzle.2349

razzle frazzle.2349

Same issue. I can play my first character just fine

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Try this:

Go to "%AppData%/Roaming/Guild Wars 2" and delete the Local.dat file.

A couple of days ago, whenever I tried to log in to an existing character the game would crash out. Running the repair, deleting the Gw2.dat in the game directory and re-downloading, deleting it and copying it from another machine that could log in fine, and also re-installing the client all did not work. But once I deleted that file and allowed the client to re-create it, I could load any character fine.

I cannot say this is what will fix it for you, but it’s something to try.

Posted by: Geb Mindstalker.4279

Geb Mindstalker.4279

Try this:

Go to “AppData/Roaming/Guild Wars 2” and delete the Local.dat file.

A couple of days ago, whenever I tried to log in to an existing character the game would crash out. Running the repair, deleting the Gw2.dat in the game directory and re-downloading, deleting it and copying it from another machine that could log in fine, and also re-installing the client all did not work. But once I deleted that file and allowed the client to re-create it, I could load any character fine.

I cannot say this is what will fix it for you, but it’s something to try.

Unfortunately, this did not work for me. I deleted the Local.dat file under the AppData folder, and I’m still getting a black screen whenever I try to create a character. I bought a character slot today, specifically to make a new character. Let alone the people who just bought the full game!

It would be nice if we could hear something from ArenaNet about this, considering it’s been happening (and reported) for at least 12 hours.

Posted by: Zhou.3605

Zhou.3605

Okay, so I think this is a server related issue after reading some of the posts I have seen. I am on DarkHaven and am having the same issue, but I selected to guest to Emry Bay and then clicked to create a character and it works fine. I think the important factor is to guest to a server not having the issue, then clicking to create. Emry Bay seems fine. Try doing that.

Update: Maybe not, worked for one account, not for the other.

(edited by Zhou.3605)

Posted by: Geb Mindstalker.4279

Geb Mindstalker.4279

I am also on the Darkhaven server and tried guesting to Yak’s Bend earlier with no luck. I just tried Ehmry Bay and nothing there for me.

Echo.2054

Hunh, I’m on Darkhaven as well. I do have a new account though it looks like that might not be a factor. I have tried almost everything the original poster has tried and nothing has helped.

Posted by: Jalthi.4803

Jalthi.4803

Darkhaven also and I’ve had an account since launch. I just reinstalled to give GW2 another shot but it is giving me the black screen at char creation. It lets me play existing chars no problem.

I’ve tried guesting to Ehmry Bay and some other server, no luck on either. Been like this since about 12 hours ago.

Posted by: Nerdz.8105

Nerdz.8105

Having the same problem, tried reinstall, tried restarting computer, tinkering with graphics, deleting local etc. PLEASE admins look into this.

Posted by: theProdigy.8031

theProdigy.8031

I am in Darkhaven. Same problem

Posted by: apivittak.8275

apivittak.8275

same in Darkhaven

Posted by: Kstan.4708

Kstan.4708

I’m also in Darkhaven and having the same issue. I wonder if it’s only limited to this server.

Posted by: Goldfinch.2496

Goldfinch.2496

Ok I am also from Darkhaven and have been having this problem as well for a while but I just fixed it. The trick to get the guesting thing to reset is that you not only have to say you are ‘guesting’ for a different server you have to actually hit ‘play’ while guesting and let the map load for one of your other characters. That seemed to confirm the guesting pass or whatever, and now my character creation screen seems to be fine. Hope that helps!

Posted by: HecatesChild.3742

HecatesChild.3742

Same issue for me as well.

Gnine.3954

Could be, the server that I transferred from was Sanctum of Rall and as stated it all worked until I deleted my characters to transfer to Darkhaven. Only problem with mine is it goes dark at character selection so I can’t even try guesting to another server =(

Posted by: Scleameth.6809

Scleameth.6809

Ok I am also from Darkhaven and have been having this problem as well for a while but I just fixed it. The trick to get the guesting thing to reset is that you not only have to say you are ‘guesting’ for a different server you have to actually hit ‘play’ while guesting and let the map load for one of your other characters. That seemed to confirm the guesting pass or whatever, and now my character creation screen seems to be fine. Hope that helps!

cam confirm this worked for me too

FC – [SNKY]
Keep the Faith (and stay out of AC fire)

Posted by: manikteddy.4037

manikteddy.4037

This worked for me.. thank you @Goldfinch

Posted by: boyinthebubble.7805

boyinthebubble.7805

I’m having the same issue. I have recently tried to transfer by deleting all my characters and am unable to guest in another world. My screen flashes with the character selection menu for a second and then goes to a black screen

Echo.2054

Goldfinch’s thing seems to work though it’s definitely a temporary fix. I have to go through that whole process each time I go into the create a character. And it won’t work at all for the people who have no characters.

Gnine.3954

Yeah unfortunately for those who don’t have characters don’t even have the option to look at the world list or anything on the character selection screen.

JamesSF.2708

If you “DO” have a character already (As I do), The “Guesting” trick worked for me. And again, you MUST have a character that you can first use play on to confirm the guesting, and then I could get into the character creation screen, instead of the black screen of death.