Cursed Shore botting

Cursed Shore botting

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Evernessince.8035

Evernessince.8035

I don’t know if this is the right section for this but here it goes.

I’m on gates of madness and have seen a large amount of botters in cursed shores EACH DAY. There has not been a day since living story started where I have not seen a botter.

How do I know they are botters?

1) They keep the exact same route around a small area for a long time
2) They use the same skill rotation for a long time
3) most of the time, they are on ALL day doing the exact same thing
4) no response from whispers
5) they act precisely. In other words there movements and skill use is stop and go, just like a computer.

Why this is wrong?

It devalues my work and makes it harder for legitimate players to earn gold while the botter walks free. It has become especially evident lately that there are more and more botters coming by. Mostly people won’t even report him/her after I show them, stating that the botter “helps them out”.

Please fix this, it hurts the economy!

Cursed Shore botting

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Actually it doesn’t hurt the economy. It affects the economy, but it doesn’t necessarily hurt it. I benefit from bots as I don’t attain my money through the items they are harvesting. So they lower the cost on those items that I need by over saturating the market with them. (I have no patience for farming)

People like you who are farming those same items lose money as the value of them gets decreased. Perhaps you should find other ways to make money until…. I expect they will do another mass bot ban soon. Keep reporting them!

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

Cursed Shore botting

Evernessince.8035

Actually it doesn’t hurt the economy. It affects the economy, but it doesn’t necessarily hurt it. I benefit from bots as I don’t attain my money through the items they are harvesting. So they lower the cost on those items that I need by over saturating the market with them. (I have no patience for farming)

People like you who are farming those same items lose money as the value of them gets decreased. Perhaps you should find other ways to make money until…. I expect they will do another mass bot ban soon. Keep reporting them!

They are botting npcs, not ore/other nodes, so it’s effect is not isolated to any one group. Not to mention I don’t farm anything, unless you count WvW as farming.

They get items like silk, gossamer, bags, and an assortment of weapons/armor. With salvaging, the impact of this is even more wide ranging. Now you many say this only reduces pricing but because it’s a commodity that’s being farmed, everyone except the botter loses. Everyone has what they are getting for nothing. Therefore everyone is losing money (well except for the people who don’t have an 80 yet).

Cursed Shore botting

Posted by: AeroJavi.1687

AeroJavi.1687

They only ban each number of months, when the botters have profitted enough from the botting-selling. Then they wipe, and botters buy another large number of accounts. Sure way for Arenanet to stuff their pockets with full game sells.
At a point we even started to wonder if it’s a corporate thing, or the support teams were involved without superiors noticing…

Cursed Shore botting

Evernessince.8035

They only ban each number of months, when the botters have profitted enough from the botting-selling. Then they wipe, and botters buy another large number of accounts. Sure way for Arenanet to stuff their pockets with full game sells.
At a point we even started to wonder if it’s a corporate thing, or the support teams were involved without superiors noticing…

Hm those supervisors would have to take some pretty light bribes, seeing as botters would have to purchase new accounts again and again. Although I’ve seen worse politicians. Although compared to WoW, this is nothing. WoW is a very easy game to hack and bots, account hacks, and other crap was very common. Although don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending it. I don’t know how I can report this and continue to see the same thing keep happening. It’s not like you can’t prevent it. I supposed not everyone knows to how to spot a bot or wants to follow a person to ascertain the situation more clearly but the mods absolutely should.

Cursed Shore botting

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

The most obvious sign of a bot is when they are running away from an event that real players are arriving at, such as shelter.

Cursed Shore botting

Posted by: poebel.4780

poebel.4780

The most obvious sign of a bot is when they are running away from an event that real players are arriving at, such as shelter.

Erm… thats no sign for botting, a lot of people run away from events cause they want to do something else (farming mats for example or just buy s.th. from a vendor …).
Other players just hit a few enemys during an event (to get the rewerds) and run away afterwards (which is not very nice but still no botting)

Cursed Shore botting

Evernessince.8035

Erm… thats no sign for botting, a lot of people run away from events cause they want to do something else (farming mats for example or just buy s.th. from a vendor …).
Other players just hit a few enemys during an event (to get the rewerds) and run away afterwards (which is not very nice but still no botting)

I think she was saying that it could be a red flag for a bot, although you would never report someone just based on that alone. I tend to follow them for quite some time before a report to make sure. Jumping in front of them, whispering, and alerting others once I’m sure it’s a bot. Although most people won’t give 2 cents about getting the issue fixing. I know its perpetual but if everyone were to report a bot, eventually you would see a vast reduction in their numbers.

Cursed Shore botting

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Bots for the most part are easy to spot, Their movement seems more ‘mechanical’ and they don’t take, I guess what you would call natural pauses.

If I’m not 100% sure I start to follow the toon around. Pretty quickly the person will either stop and look at me as a kind of “can I help you?”, or they simply just freeze on the spot “maybe if I don’t move, he won’t notice me”.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Cursed Shore botting

Evernessince.8035

Bots for the most part are easy to spot, Their movement seems more ‘mechanical’ and they don’t take, I guess what you would call natural pauses.

If I’m not 100% sure I start to follow the toon around. Pretty quickly the person will either stop and look at me as a kind of “can I help you?”, or they simply just freeze on the spot “maybe if I don’t move, he won’t notice me”.

Lol yeah there should be a thread on how to spot bots and reporting them.

Cursed Shore botting

Posted by: smezmer.1206

smezmer.1206

Botters don’t buy accounts, they steal them. They hit nieve individuals who don’t understand what a phishing email is and/or don’t know better than to not give their account info out. They also hit lazy and unscrupulous players who pay for services outside the eula and get their computers key logged for visiting cash for gold/ power leveling sites. That way they don’t pay anything for an account, thus Anet gets no money. Just another support ticket about a stolen account.

And bots do negatively affect a games economy no matter how benign their actions may seem to the individual. What may seem like a cash saver for one person is a income killer for another. The difficulty, rarity and effort spent gathering a given item reflects it’s value, bots gather goods at rates most normal players cant compete with. When they create a surplus of any given item they effectively cause the price of that item to plummet. Players who normally sell these items are now losing profit which in turn means they cant spend as much money as they used to on purchasing goods others are selling. Eventually prices across the board begin to get all out of wack as players try to supplement the lost revenue in other ways. Also, those who “don’t really mind” botting activity should keep in mind, money given to bots is baught back by players who spend it on goods at a far inflated price simply because they have money to burn and no appreciation for what it takes to get it honestly. This once again damages the integrity of the in game economy.

Bots also cause considerable grief for honest players just trying to play the game. Mass farming of mobs in a given area blocks players from finishing objectives, achievements and events, making it harder for them to move forward.

Cursed Shore botting

Posted by: AeroJavi.1687

AeroJavi.1687

Botters don’t buy accounts, they steal them.

How curious. They steal the accounts from people that named theirs aserfs dfdfas asdfa sdfdsa aasdd and asdfffew, and they put them together in the same place. Seems legit.
They sure used accounts that have been hacked or lend, but they do buy lots of new accounts to keep the income.

Cursed Shore botting

Posted by: Siliconmana.3816

Siliconmana.3816

Yup, confirmed. Botting is rife in Cursed and Malchors.

[KnT][KnM] – Blackgate

Cursed Shore botting

Evernessince.8035

Botters don’t buy accounts, they steal them.

How curious. They steal the accounts from people that named theirs aserfs dfdfas asdfa sdfdsa aasdd and asdfffew, and they put them together in the same place. Seems legit.
They sure used accounts that have been hacked or lend, but they do buy lots of new accounts to keep the income.

We are not here to fight, just discuss.

I actually have a few friends who have account names with facerolled spelling. Although I’m sure that botter use a combination of methods to gain access to the game.

Lol remember when a stack of mithril used to go for over a gold?

Cursed Shore botting

Posted by: smezmer.1206

smezmer.1206

Granted I will concede that botters do purchase accounts occasionally, however that doesn’t mean the accounts they buy come directly from Anet or NCsoft. There’s a big market for game accounts on third party sites like ebay. Its would be bad business on their part to invest heavily in new accounts they know are gonna get banned in a fairly short period of time.
As for the business of jumbled names, I know plenty of people who just button mash a name out. I’ve done it a few times on bank mules or when I’m testing a new character I’m not sure I wanna keep.

(edited by smezmer.1206)