Do a rollback

Do a rollback

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Gank.4957

Gank.4957

People are getting free GWAMM and HoM rewards, this is a major game breaking exploit and is already spreading across the internet as we speak. Please do something.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

People are getting free GWAMM and HoM rewards, this is a major game breaking exploit and is already spreading across the internet as we speak. Please do something.

If it was such a simple choice, I’d think they would have done it already, for the whole patch.

As for that particular issue, not sure I would call it game breaking, while it devalues things it doesn’t actually physically break the game (aside from the HoM instance itself being broken and we don’t even know if that and this are related). It is definitely an exploit though, but at least it is not a guaranteed thing nor is there a step by step guide for it that I am aware of.

Also, as far as I know taking away any achievement bugged or not is not something trivial either they probably would have to do individual account rollbacks or develop a specific tool to fix it (ie. for example the bugged placement achievement from the WvW tournament before last is forever on the accounts affected, if it was simple for them to remove it they probably would have).

That said, anyone stupid enough to actively try and trigger it is probably going to get tracked down (at least if they don’t succeed on first attempt, ie. they try for it repeatedly).

Do a rollback

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Just wait long enough and they hand out what others had to work for.

SBI

Do a rollback

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Its a guaranteed bug. It worked for everyone I know who tried it.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Do a rollback

Crise.9401

Nope it isn’t, guaranteed that is, I too created an alt earlier today, mostly to reserve a name (since I finally thought of a decent one for my Revenant to be) and I still have the exact same HoM points I have had until now and ever since launch.

It might work, or rather be broken, for a lot of people but saying that it works for everyone or that it is guaranteed is bit of a stretch without any evidence. Besides why would you encourage anyone to test this knowingly, when there is high chance for some kind of action to be taken for people that deliberately try and do it.

(edited by Crise.9401)

Do a rollback

Malediktus.3740

did you try using your hall of monument portal stone? i heared that one also triggers it

Do a rollback

Posted by: Darmikau.9413

Darmikau.9413

The patch needs a rollback for more than just the GWAMM exploit.

Green party and /say chat.
Green down state health bars.
Messed up loading screen.
Map-wide voice clips.
Minimap is misaligned.
Various crash bugs.

This patch is a mess.

Do a rollback

Crise.9401

did you try using your hall of monument portal stone? i heared that one also triggers it

All it does is crashes the game as far as I know.

Do a rollback

Crise.9401

I agree but there must be some reason, likely logistics… for why they haven’t done so.

Physically restoring every server related to GW2 to an earlier point prior the most recent patch is always an option but depending on how frequent their respective automated backups are, or how easy of an undertaking such a thing even is, that kind of nuclear option might be even worse for them.

Imagine then having to loose say even just half a days worth of data. People loosing precursors or legendaries because of said rollback would create a kittenstorm of its own, not to mention other smaller in-game accomplishments. Also, I doubt all of these issues are ones that QA simply missed, after taking an extra week for testing, player volume must have something to do with it as well.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Delune.4817

Delune.4817

Plus get rid of this new stability nerf kitten.

Commander All The Delune, Fort Aspenwood
Guild Leader of [TK]
“FA, stomping bandwagons since 2012….”

Do a rollback

Crise.9401

Plus get rid of this new stability nerf kitten.

That is definitely not going to happen, even if they rollback the patch… which they should do ASAP if it is something that they are considering. The stability changes were intentional and made public knowledge when they first showed Revenant to us. So whatever their game plan is for getting through this the stability changes would come back sooner or later.

Do a rollback

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Right now this is probably the first time I would say do a rollback.

Emergency maintain mode – there should be no indivudals getting HoM achievements without trying.
The numerous bugs that have gone out shows we need to put this patch back on the table and operate on it until it’s finished (It will be ready when it’s good and ready).

Never again will the community ask when is the patch coming out – they might just be a little happier to wait a little bit to get something that is working a bit better.

It’s fine to have a few bugs – but this patch has probably broken more things than it has fixed.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Do a rollback

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Nope it isn’t, guaranteed that is, I too created an alt earlier today, mostly to reserve a name (since I finally thought of a decent one for my Revenant to be) and I still have the exact same HoM points I have had until now and ever since launch.

It might work, or rather be broken, for a lot of people but saying that it works for everyone or that it is guaranteed is bit of a stretch without any evidence. Besides why would you encourage anyone to test this knowingly, when there is high chance for some kind of action to be taken for people that deliberately try and do it.

It didn’t work for me either.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Do a rollback

Malediktus.3740

Maybe there are rare cases where it doesnt work. But it sure works for the majority of people who give the bug a try.

Do a rollback

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

You say like there is some special secret to this bug. Any new player, altoholic, keyrunner, grandma can do this without even knowing what is hom points or ap.
Do a barrel roll rollback while it is not too late. Or in 1-2 days we will have a whole bunch of gods running amongst mere mortals.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

They don’t have to roll back an entire patch to fix this. They have retroactively ‘fixed’ other issues with achievement points. I’m sure they can fix this too.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Do a rollback

Malediktus.3740

They don’t have to roll back an entire patch to fix this. They have retroactively ‘fixed’ other issues with achievement points. I’m sure they can fix this too.

It took them 6months to make a fix for that. Considering all the testing involved to not break it even more (eg. removing the wrong achievements or from people who legitimately earned them), I would expect a fix to take minimum a month.
If they fix the HoM portal stone before they fix this bug, they also have to find a way to remove ill gained skins from your wardrobe (never happened before so far).

Do a rollback

Posted by: Nyx.1256

Nyx.1256

You say like there is some special secret to this bug. Any new player, altoholic, keyrunner, grandma can do this without even knowing what is hom points or ap.
Do a barrel roll rollback while it is not too late. Or in 1-2 days we will have a whole bunch of gods running amongst mere mortals.

Ummm yeah, this just happened to me as I was creating my usual keyrun character. Since it is quite late at night I wasnt sure at first what caused my to get my achievement chest so I admit I opened it without further examination. It was only after I did so, that I went into my achievements panel and saw what happened :/
I definitely don’t deserve that title so I’m all for a rollback but I’m not sure how they would do that considering that this seemed to have given many players including me achievement chests.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Odyssey.2613

Odyssey.2613

This patch, along with the NPE/China release should have never, never, never went live. If I performed like this at my work, they would fire me.

The dev team has proven they can’t balance a 2×4 on a cinder block.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It took them 6months to make a fix for that. Considering all the testing involved to not break it even more (eg. removing the wrong achievements or from people who legitimately earned them), I would expect a fix to take minimum a month.
If they fix the HoM portal stone before they fix this bug, they also have to find a way to remove ill gained skins from your wardrobe (never happened before so far).

It took them six months to fix what? Some stuff takes a long time to fix, some is easy to fix but hard to test, and some stuff is just… annoyingly hard to nail down completely.

I have no idea why this stuff borked with this patch or what’s involved with fixing it. But I do know that rollbacks are much harder to pull off than it sounds; it would mean devoting resources from all sorts of other things to do properly. It also won’t solve ANet’s “upset customer” problem: sure, the people complaining in this thread would be (mostly) mollified, but it would annoy an entirely new group of people.

Accordingly, I think it’s far more likely that ANet will spend 1-3 weeks developing/testing a way to remove the AP, titles, and skins that people unlocked by accident today. Mostly because there’s a simple 1:1 relationship between the actual GW1 HoM score and the titles/skins/APs granted in GW2.

It might not be clear that I am, myself, upset about ANet screwing this up. I can’t imagine what goes on in their change control/management and QA departments that something this simple to detect wasn’t prevented. But I don’t work there, so I can’t even reliably second-guess them. I expect them to work hard to resolve the issues and I’m willing to wait for them to do it, even though I would prefer to donate my patience to something else.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Do a rollback

Malediktus.3740

Its very hard to remove unfairly gained skins again. People can transmute it on their existing items and they can store the skins in their bank etc. So its much more effort than just removing it from wardrobe.
If they have the skins on any of their items they can just unlock it again after Anet removed it from wardrobe etc.

Do a rollback

Crise.9401

This patch, along with the NPE/China release should have never, never, never went live. If I performed like this at my work, they would fire me.

Well, when it comes to NPE it is subjective matter because we are talking about intentional changes (although 1 spamming through tutorial is boring as ever), but I completely agree that the most recent patch as it is now should not have gone live.

Do a rollback

Odyssey.2613

Well, when it comes to NPE it is subjective matter because we are talking about intentional changes (although 1 spamming through tutorial is boring as ever), but I completely agree that the most recent patch as it is now should not have gone live.

That’s not what I was referring to. If you recall, the NPE/China release patch was riddled with numerous bugs as well. To the point, it felt like a beta for the upcoming game.

(edited by Odyssey.2613)

Do a rollback

Crise.9401

That’s not what I was referring to. If you recall, the NPE/China release patch was riddled with numerous bugs as well. To the point, it felt like a beta for the upcoming game.

Fair enough, that being said… there seems to be something in common between that update and this (ie. two major separately developed revisions of the game being “merged” into live, then it was the China release and now it is quite clearly bunch of the HoT stuff).

I find it very difficult to believe anyone at ANet was expecting this, though they must have seen something because it was delayed once, which makes it even more puzzling. Some unforseen complications must be at play here related to merging different development versions together. There is no way these kind of issues (well the HoM issue might have as that is a very dated system that is likely not linked to anything but the live servers, but all this other shenanigans no way) would ever have passed even the most lax of QA passes if they were happening on their development or stage clients.

Do a rollback

Posted by: YourFriendMarvin.4127

YourFriendMarvin.4127

Did they fix this yet or is it still possible?

#MostTeamQueueWins before December 2nd, 2014 Patch
[NA]Rank 71 before April 15th, 2014 Feature Patch OG Moltres, 10k Champion Brawler, Team PZ
http://www.twitch.tv/yourfriendmarvin

Do a rollback

Crise.9401

Did they fix this yet or is it still possible?

Nothing has been said, but as has been pointed out in this topic while it is commonplace it is not entirely guaranteed either. I wouldn’t go chasing this though, there is no saying how they will handle this… either way it is damage control going forward.

The only thing that has been officially fixed is the vendor problem as per recent addendum to the patch notes.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Celine.6857

Celine.6857

It took them six months to fix what? Some stuff takes a long time to fix, some is easy to fix but hard to test, and some stuff is just… annoyingly hard to nail down completely.

I have no idea why this stuff borked with this patch or what’s involved with fixing it. But I do know that rollbacks are much harder to pull off than it sounds; it would mean devoting resources from all sorts of other things to do properly. It also won’t solve ANet’s “upset customer” problem: sure, the people complaining in this thread would be (mostly) mollified, but it would annoy an entirely new group of people.

Accordingly, I think it’s far more likely that ANet will spend 1-3 weeks developing/testing a way to remove the AP, titles, and skins that people unlocked by accident today. Mostly because there’s a simple 1:1 relationship between the actual GW1 HoM score and the titles/skins/APs granted in GW2.

It might not be clear that I am, myself, upset about ANet screwing this up. I can’t imagine what goes on in their change control/management and QA departments that something this simple to detect wasn’t prevented. But I don’t work there, so I can’t even reliably second-guess them. I expect them to work hard to resolve the issues and I’m willing to wait for them to do it, even though I would prefer to donate my patience to something else.

VERY very well said. I concur, fully.

Traits issue has been fixed too. I was able to purchase traits I couldn’t before the latest bug fixing patch.

Samantha
Guild: Creators of Destiny Awakening [CDA] Disabled GW2 gamer; love all aspects of GW2!
Champion: Magus, Illusionist, Phantom and Shadow

Do a rollback

Posted by: Eidolonemesis.5640

Eidolonemesis.5640

Guild chat bugged. Party chat bugged. Downed bar bugged. Necro minions bugged. Ranger pets bugged. Animations while holding staff bugged. Lag bug. FPS bug. Minimap bug. Disembodied voices bug. PC speaks a whole paragraph at a time bug. Game/Audio freeze/Hiccup every 8 seconds bug. Weapon scaling bug. Game loader bug. Client update bug. Story/NPC bug. Item stacking bug. Trait vender bug. Order items vendor bug. Missing textures bug. Camera bug. Reward track bug. Votekick bug. Vinewrath bug. Trait vendor bug. Guild workshop bug. Guild rep bug. Titles bug. In-game bug reporting bug.

This is the patch they delayed 6 days to ensure it was “polished”.

You know, the more I see wrong with this patch and the hatestorm of comments that has come along with it, the more I think someone malicious on the Anet developer team made these bugs happen on purpose and thought it funny. Think about it… Most of these bugs have nothing to do with what was actually changed.

P.S. As a preventive measure in situations like this, Anet should have a backup of every update they’ve worked on so if they ever need to roll the game back, they can easily do so and then go back to the drawing board without losing anything they worked on.

(edited by Eidolonemesis.5640)

Do a rollback

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

I am usually very forgiving when it comes to bugs but this thing kittens me off. I have played GW1 for a long time and i know, i did not play it to have something to show off in GW2, but still… i have actually earned those titles (as have many other GW1 players) and now people who did not even see GW1 can have the same?

I don’t care what others have – as long as they have earned it, i’m happy for them – but giving these GW1-related things for free due to a bug? Anet has to remove those titles that were given. Period.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Pirate Pete.9564

Pirate Pete.9564

A rollback or at least switching off the new stuff is essential. I cannot even get into gw2, it logs in and then just hangs my machine totally. I have had to hard reset 3 times. TOTALLY not impressed.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

Just wait long enough and they hand out what others had to work for.

This ^^

All PvE kittens QQ’d about not being able to do world completion, since WvW was part of the world got what they asked..
Next patch a free legendary for everyone probably.. Kittening Anet..

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

Do a rollback

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

I agree with a roll back, not just because of the HoM bug but because of the ever growing list of bugs caused by this patch. Way too many issues to be released onto a none beta game.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Theorick.2713

Theorick.2713

I agree with a roll back, not just because of the HoM bug but because of the ever growing list of bugs caused by this patch. Way too many issues to be released onto a none beta game.

If Anet do a rollback it will be because of this; the patch seems to be a lot messier than I first thought.

I can’t see them rollingback solely due to HOM and AP. While it may resolve the issue for individuals it would create a lot of heat for Anet; every other player who has acheived something since the patch landed will log on to roast anet.

Anet simply aren’t going to upset the rest of the player base because GW1 players object to an unearned title and 400 AP. As unfair as it is, I suspect they will cut their losses on that issue and work to prevent othjers from exploiting it.

As HoM seems to be a CTD issue now, I suspect that already have blocked this issue off.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

The voices all over the chat is really starting to annoy the hell out of me.

“ASHES AND DEATH” “ASHES AND DEATH”… Seriously fix this, do a roll back or something.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Anet simply aren’t going to upset the rest of the player base because GW1 players object to an unearned title and 400 AP. As unfair as it is, I suspect they will cut their losses on that issue and work to prevent others from exploiting it.

Let’s not forget that these GW1 players are long-time loyal customers. I hope Anet thinks twice about ignoring them.

Anyway, not sure how easy an AP-deduction really is, but I cannot imagine how removing the undeserved titles can be a major technical issue…

Do a rollback

Posted by: Theorick.2713

Theorick.2713

Anet simply aren’t going to upset the rest of the player base because GW1 players object to an unearned title and 400 AP. As unfair as it is, I suspect they will cut their losses on that issue and work to prevent others from exploiting it.

Let’s not forget that these GW1 players are long-time loyal customers. I hope Anet thinks twice about ignoring them.

Anyway, not sure how easy an AP-deduction really is, but I cannot imagine how removing the undeserved titles can be a major technical issue…

I would hope that anet don’t ignore them at all. I would aslo like to think there is a workable solution to the problem.

I just think that if the only way to fix the title/AP thing is a rollback, then a rollback for that issue alone is not going to happen.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Guild chat bugged. Party chat bugged. Downed bar bugged. Necro minions bugged. Ranger pets bugged. Animations while holding staff bugged. Lag bug. FPS bug. Minimap bug. Disembodied voices bug. PC speaks a whole paragraph at a time bug. Game/Audio freeze/Hiccup every 8 seconds bug. Weapon scaling bug. Game loader bug. Client update bug. Story/NPC bug. Item stacking bug. Trait vender bug. Order items vendor bug. Missing textures bug. Camera bug. Reward track bug. Votekick bug. Vinewrath bug. Trait vendor bug. Guild workshop bug. Guild rep bug. Titles bug. In-game bug reporting bug.

This is the patch they delayed 6 days to ensure it was “polished”.

No kidding. It makes you wonder how this even got cleared for release. Do they actually test this stuff?

Do a rollback

Malediktus.3740

I heared this bug is still working, is it true?

Do a rollback

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Green party and /say chat.
Green down state health bars.
Messed up loading screen.
Map-wide voice clips.
Minimap is misaligned.
Various crash bugs.

This patch is a mess.

Just a comment here. In fact, Minimap isn’t misaligned, it is where it always have been :P Yes, what is wrong there is it’s missing a background texture, what makes it looks like it’s floating. Look closely and you will see the whole skill bar is lacking a background. This issue is also what is making the level boxes to look black. Compare with old pics and it’s clearly noticeable.

Do a rollback

Crise.9401

You know, the more I see wrong with this patch and the hatestorm of comments that has come along with it, the more I think someone malicious on the Anet developer team made these bugs happen on purpose and thought it funny. Think about it… Most of these bugs have nothing to do with what was actually changed.

The tinfoilhat is strong in this one… you’d have to be very upset to be willing to loose your job over this. The current employment landscape hardly lends itself for protests that involve getting yourself fired. If you have watched the old GDC panel ANet had you’d know that nothing goes into the game without a clear record being made, so as soon as they had fixed few of these issues they’d probably see a pattern if there was one.

Another possibility, and IMO a more likely explanation, is under paid/over worked staff, absolutely inept internal testing team(which I’ve heard is outsourced), coupled with lazy department heads, along with limp wristed CEOs that don’t demand high standards.

About their quality assurance, they have both smaller in-studio team of QA personnel and a larger outsourced QA team if I recall correctly.

Do a rollback

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

Just a comment here. In fact, Minimap isn’t misaligned, it is where it always have been :P Yes, what is wrong there is it’s missing a background texture, what makes it looks like it’s floating. Look closely and you will see the whole skill bar is lacking a background. This issue is also what is making the level boxes to look black. Compare with old pics and it’s clearly noticeable.

I checked older screens I took, and the mini map is indeed higher now (attached mini map area from both screens. one I took last month (before) and the other I took today (after). there is a clear difference, at least in my game.

Attachments:

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

(edited by nottsgman.8206)

Do a rollback

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

I made a new character and I didnt get anything lol

EDIT: I should note I wasnt trying to exploit. I’m making two new characters, one a norn warrior to wear the female heavy arah armor, the other a human to wear the cultural underboob armor. I’m being sexist, not exploitive lol

And to point out also, just trying to be funny. Ignore me :P

(edited by Morfedel.4165)

Do a rollback

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

My client downloaded something at around 4am today. No patch notes on the forum. Maybe it was a hotfix for this? HoM points are still messed up though.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Tiburon.8634

Tiburon.8634

Yep, the patch is not an improvement to the game.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

The tinfoilhat is strong in this one… you’d have to be very upset to be willing to loose your job over this. The current employment landscape hardly lends itself for protests that involve getting yourself fired.

The current employment landscape you speak of is made up of short-term contracts at Anet. Nearly everyone who isn’t a member of the old guard will get fired after a time regardless of what they do or don’t do. I could see why a temporary employee would feel exploited or mistreated enough to sabotage a company that isn’t offering any kind of future for them anyway. Along this line of thought, why was the update released out of schedule on a Monday?

Not saying that’s what happened, but it’s more than believable.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

It may be thoroughly undeserved, but game-breaking it ain’t.

Do a rollback

Odyssey.2613

The tinfoilhat is strong in this one… you’d have to be very upset to be willing to loose your job over this. The current employment landscape hardly lends itself for protests that involve getting yourself fired.

The current employment landscape you speak of is made up of short-term contracts at Anet. Nearly everyone who isn’t a member of the old guard will get fired after a time regardless of what they do or don’t do. I could see why a temporary employee would feel exploited or mistreated enough to sabotage a company that isn’t offering any kind of future for them anyway. Along this line of thought, why was the update released out of schedule on a Monday?

Not saying that’s what happened, but it’s more than believable.

Because it was pushed back 6 days to make sure it was “polished”.

Do a rollback

Posted by: Eidolonemesis.5640

Eidolonemesis.5640

It has absolutely nothing to do with anyone wearing a ‘tinfoil hat’. You make it sound like what I point out can never happen or does not happen, because it CAN happen and DOES happen in big companies (Anet is no exception).

The reason such scenarios are not broadcasted to everyone because it would make such companies look bad so as to get customers/players to question the integrity of the company and preventative measures therein.

Think about it… Would you broadcast such things about your company if you owned one unless you absolutely had to? No.

If you have watched the old GDC panel ANet had you’d know that nothing goes into the game without a clear record being made, so as soon as they had fixed few of these issues they’d probably see a pattern if there was one.

Nothing about this current update is considered a ‘clean record’ whatsoever because it is wracked with more bugs than I have seen in most other updates to the point of complete absurdity, and it doesn’t make Guild Wars 2 look good at all.

Furthermore, even if they did find a ‘pattern’ (as you say) as evidence to prove someone did tamper with the update to make it go awry, Anet is NOT going to tell their customers/players, “Hey, guess what guys? We caught someone on our team tampering with the update we deployed!”

That’s not going to happen for said reasons… You can call what I am saying is a theory all you want, yet it’s not so farfetched like you seem to believe.

(edited by Eidolonemesis.5640)