Dodge roll "randomly" fails [video included]

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Aseyhe.2948

Aseyhe.2948

Alternate title: “Dodge roll is interrupted by autoattacks”.

In normal play, it appears that the dodge roll randomly fails. When I say “fail”, I mean it consumes endurance and sometimes plays the roll animation, but does not provide the evasion or movement.

However, this bug is not random and I have precise reproduction steps. The issue is that when a dodge roll is activated at (almost) the same time as a particular skill in the autoattack chain, that skill interrupts the dodge roll.

I have directly reproduced this with warrior greatsword, warrior hammer, and ranger greatsword, with the third attack (of the #1 chain) in each case. I suspect the issue is more widespread than that, but this is all I know for certain. Here are example reproduction steps:

1. Start autoattacking with one of the above weapons. Watch the cast bar.
  2. At the precise moment that the second attack ends and the third attack is beginning, hit your dodge key.

If timed right, this causes the dodge roll to end almost as soon as it begins.

Here is an example video.

In this video I try to dodge between the second and third attacks of the warrior greatsword autoattack chain. Endurance is consumed and the dodge roll animation starts to play, but the dodge is almost immediately interrupted by the third attack.

(edited by Aseyhe.2948)

Posted by: Apraxas.3685

Apraxas.3685

I have experience this also, but it is possible to reproduce it quite often, it only works with greatsword and sword that I have noticed, All you have to do is press the opposite direction from which you dodged. Say you do a backwards roll and press forward just as you press the dodge bind, and it will leave you in the same place.

Posted by: Aleth.9630

Aleth.9630

Is it related to getting rubberbanded and stopped while the dodge roll is going on?

Posted by: Y u mad its vydia.6324

Y u mad its vydia.6324

I was just going to start a thread about this. This also happens to me on Sword (Guardian and Warrior).

Malaakh. [EU] Desolation.

Posted by: Youd.1375

Youd.1375

Happening allot to me (Asura Thief). I think i’ve narrowed it down to using a dodge-key and using any of WSAD at the same time. If i only press my dodge key to evade backwards it works every time. If i press backwards (s) and my dodge-key at the same time it often fails.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I get a dodge bug (I hope it’s a bug and will be fixed) on my Sylvari Necro where I’ll dodge but if the enemy has started an attack I teleport back to my starting position so the attack hits me making dodge useless in most cases.

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: Ksielvin.1587

Ksielvin.1587

Uhh, ok. This killed me multiple times over a long event where I was in melee with a giant. (I was intentionally stubborn about doing the event in melee. Will be going back too, but hopefully only after this is fixed.)

Posted by: Eeeee.3048

Eeeee.3048

Hmh, never experienced this but haven’t played a lot on melee classes yet, just wondering, do you all have melee attack assist on or off?

Posted by: Aseyhe.2948

Aseyhe.2948

Hmh, never experienced this but haven’t played a lot on melee classes yet, just wondering, do you all have melee attack assist on or off?

Off

Posted by: Zepour.4965

Zepour.4965

I have experienced this bug as well (human thief). Extremely annoying. It has happened to me only on backward dodge rolls. Reported the issue via ingame bug report as well.

Posted by: OnionXI.6735

OnionXI.6735

I’m having this issue as well but it’s been hard to pinpoint exactly what causes it. I mainly play an asura warrior and human thief. Similar to what the video in OP shows, my asura will just kind of stop mid-dodge like it’s bumped into something. This has happened both on dodging sideways and, more commonly, on dodging backwards.

It’s an extremely frustrating problem on giants in particular. I was on my thief fighting Kol in Harathi Hinterlands and my backwards dodges were failing at least half of the time. I wasn’t sure if it was the uneven terrain in the cave causing it or what, but I spent much of the fight on my butt because of it.

Posted by: Refraction.1892

Refraction.1892

from the video it looks like the dodge is being cancelled due to an attack being used, much like some of the attacks can be cancelled by using other attacks.

It probably is just an issue where this kind of thing should really be queued (like the instant moves)

Posted by: Lucifus.6721

Lucifus.6721

I play a scepter wielding Necro, and this bug has happened to me as well, so it is not exclusive to melee classes either. Also, it is NOT just for backward rolling. This bug occurs when I strafe dodge roll, as I often side strafe to avoid aoe’s to allow me to remain in casting distance by circling and not backing up. Still happens.

Posted by: Daloskar.3892

Daloskar.3892

I am also a scepter-wielding Necro and often get “rubber-banded” back to my starting position when I try to dodge. It’s especially annoying when that starting area now has an aoe attack going on in it and my dodge did me absolutely no good but still used up the endurance.

Posted by: Sister Sola.8109

Sister Sola.8109

I’m experiencing this on my scepter wielding Necro, and once in a while on my Ranger (can’t remember if I was using a shortbow or an axe). Sometimes the character rolls in place, and sometimes the character rolls away, but rubberbands back to the foe.

Posted by: Renegade.6325

Renegade.6325

This is the biggest issue in the game at the moment. Forget bad economy, poor rewards, bots and hacking, they dont affect me as much as not being able to play well.

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

The amount of time that I get hit because of this glitch is ridiculous. <_<

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Posted by: Renegade.6325

Renegade.6325

Can we got confirmation that this is beign looked into? Its a huge issue.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

so that’s what it is. i’ve had problems too, pretty sure even my thief has had it (and i use dagger mainhand and pistol mainhand)

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

Bump. This is so annoying as a Necromancer who uses Scepter because my auto-attack is a 0.5-second cast. Playing with auto-attack on is practically impossible.

Posted by: Derek.9021

Derek.9021

woah… look at that guy’s endurance in the video. That’s a really awful bug. I guess only using the auto attack would be the solution until it gets fixed but I can’t imagine doing that for a long time without my hand falling off.

Posted by: Aubey.1785

Aubey.1785

TLTR: Dodge bugs for me on auto-attacks too.

The “dodge fail” happens to me as well, and it happens on nearly every single character I play (Elementalist seems to be safe from this issue). I have one of each profession (Human Necromancer, Human Ranger, Norn Thief, Norn Warrior, Norn Mesmer, Sylvari Guardian, Sylvari Elementalist, and a Charr Engineer. Oh and an Asura Warrior because I can). Melee or ranged, it doesn’t matter. It seems to happen during the auto-attack like most everyone else here.

Here’s what happens to me… When I dodge (no double-tap, just keybound) at the wrong time (the wrong time being during the auto-attack sequence), I will just “dodge” in place. It looks the same as if you tried to backward dodge roll with your back against a wall (although it doesn’t happen on JUST the backwards dodges). My character goes nowhere even though the animation is playing. So of course if you dodge roll and don’t go anywhere, the thing you’re trying to avoid WILL hit you. And sometimes that spell/ability that’s being tossed at you can hurt. A lot.

Might it be a terrain issue? Possibly. The area I’m trying to dodge around in sure looks flat to me and I’m not running into anything otherwise, but it sure seems as though there’s an obstacle there when I try to dodge. (Do mobs have the ability to put up invisible, dodge-proof walls around you? =P) But it does seem to happen only when I’m in the middle of an auto-attack sequence.

Affected professions & the weapons affected (underwater weapons not tested):

Elementalist: None that I’ve noticed
Warrior: Greatsword, Hammer, Axe, Mace, Sword
Ranger: Greatsword, Sword
Necromancer: Dagger, Scepter
Guardian: Greatsword, Hammer, Mace, Sword
Thief: Dagger, Sword
Engineer: Toolkit? (Not fully tested)
Mesmer: Scepter, Sword

Posted by: Y u mad its vydia.6324

Y u mad its vydia.6324

I would really like to see someone from Arenanet try to play Guardian with One-handed sword equipped and fighting against Subject Alpha. This bug makes it absolutely impossible. The dodge bug will trigger with every single dodge.

Malaakh. [EU] Desolation.

Posted by: Raijjn.8256

Raijjn.8256

I play an asura ranger… and I have this problem literally ALL THE TIME. when auto attacking (with sword & axe), my character gets “locked” in attacks.. meaning I can’t dodge, back away, run away or anything… I can use other skills, but cannot get away when needed, this has gotten me killed more times than I can count

Posted by: Idolicious.6091

Idolicious.6091

Confirmed with my level 80 warrior, thief, and necro. Happens with all of them. This is a serious bug that needs dev attention ASAP. I recommend sending in CS tiicketss pointing to this thread.

Zepour.4965

Three months and still no fix for this issue. This is silly.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Confirmed. This is very noticeable on Ranger sword 1, with auto-attack on.

Often times, you are attacking so quickly that your dodge roll just doesn’t happen at all.

Posted by: Krynis.2605

Krynis.2605

I’ve had this problem with many fast attacking classes, and rarely with slower, but it’s extremely noticeable on pretty much anything on my thief, 1h sword attacks on my warrior, most attacks on my mesmer, I’ve resorted to disabling auto attacks on everything which is causing a rather large amount of needless fatigue.

Posted by: Faden Pain.4275

Faden Pain.4275

I’ve noticed the same thing occurring, Sylvari Thief, dual daggers. I assumed that, though while extremely inconvenient, that the lack of a dodge was due to it being prevented (not interrupted) due to some combat mechanic. I don’t know if its a side effect from the auto attack chain, i.e. attack 3 has just begun, and then you attempt to dodge. Dodge is attempted, but because attack 3 has been initiated, it must be finished so you don’t actually dodge.

Its disappointing that no one from the dev team has replied to this at all though, even if only to say “we’re looking into it”

Posted by: Mojo.8431

Mojo.8431

seems like rubberbanding more than anything else to me

Posted by: Krynis.2605

Krynis.2605

Mojo if it was just rubberbanding it would not be fixed (at least in my case) by disabling auto attack.

Posted by: Deepsky.6083

Deepsky.6083

yes just disable autoattack it works for me,while we wating for a fix it’s a good solution

Idolicious.6091

I don’t really find disabling auto-attack to be any kind of solution, at most a workaround until a fix is made, but I’ve already found that disabling auto-attack on my fast-attacking characters (D/D Thief, 1HS Ranger, etc.) actually puts me at a disadvantage/creates hand fatigue.

Can we get a developer response to this issue, please? It affects nearly every class and has been around for months.

Idolicious.6091

Any A.net team members care to respond to this issue? :/ Please?

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

I have noticed this today on my sword Guardian. When trying to dodge he does the exact same thing in your video.

Posted by: Condas.7056

Condas.7056

I also get this. Don’t know if this is correct but it seems to be when I press a movement key after the dodge starts.

Posted by: Jason King.2647

Jason King.2647

Live Response Embed

Next

Is everyone experiencing this using the dodge roll keybind, as opposed to double-tapping a movement key? We’re aware of a bug related to using the keybind, but if you’re not using that to dodge, it could be a separate bug.

ArenaNet Community Team
Live Response Embed

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

Is everyone experiencing this using the dodge roll keybind, as opposed to double-tapping a movement key? We’re aware of a bug related to using the keybind, but if you’re not using that to dodge, it could be a separate bug.

There’s a conflict with auto attacking with a skill that has a chain and dodging. Your auto attack(usually the cast time for the third attack) cancels your dodge.

I asked a friend, as I use double tap to dodge, he uses the dodge key and it glitch too.

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

It happens to me when hold down S and press V. S is my backward movement key and V is my dodge key.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I experience this bug while double-tapping to dodge roll as well as using a keybind. It only happens in the middle of an attack chain with my 1 skill, and—if this helps—only with my Necromancer’s Scepter it would seem. I appear to dodge roll in place animation-wise, but take full damage from enemy attacks and don’t move properly as I would during a successful dodge.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Zepour.4965

@Jason King Yes, for me this occurs when using dodge roll keybind (I don’t double-tap a movement key).

Posted by: Sky.2154

Sky.2154

Just tested this now. I was indeed able to repro this on a double-tap as well. Repro rate was much lower, but could be due to the fact that judging timing for the double tap was slightly more difficult.

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

On the guardian forums this came up a while back and people were trying to figure out if it could be considered an exploit or not.

They called it “ninja skipping” or “animation clipping” and were using it with hammer to speed up the attack animation of hammer and produce faster roll heals without going too far away from the combat area.

They reported it as a bug/exploit and received no finalized word on if that was a confirmed exploit or not, but this died out in conversational use.

This is best seen/reproduced with a slow attacking weapon and to dodge right when it connects with the target.

Posted by: climhazzard.5897

climhazzard.5897

This happens to me all the time with the guardian hammer chain. Between the 2nd and 3rd attacks. I turned off the double tap dodge feature on day one (launch day) and remapped it to the shift button.

This bug has been happening to me ever since, if I hold the movement key i used to pick my dodge direction for the duration of the dodge it usually won’t cancel but when it does and i get 1 shot as a result it really makes me rage inside…

Posted by: Apraxas.3685

Apraxas.3685

I have the bug using keybind, i never used double tap as i see it detrimental for fine movement hehe.

Posted by: pheroa.7160

pheroa.7160

Omg yes! This bugg is driving me insane, playing with hammer as a guardian mainly. Kinda suck when you want to avoid agony on the higher tiers of fractals and your character just rubber band in the middle of the dodge and you take the damage anyway, this have killed me many many times!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I’m experiencing this on my scepter wielding Necro, and once in a while on my Ranger (can’t remember if I was using a shortbow or an axe). Sometimes the character rolls in place, and sometimes the character rolls away, but rubberbands back to the foe.

This is exactly what i get nearly every dodge i do, i dodge then get dragged back to the mob and hit anyway, its quite frustrating…

I’m Australian if that helps..

I just use the double tap keys.

Posted by: Cathach.5807

Cathach.5807

I’m playing an asura necro with scepter/dagger and experience this quite often. When i try to dodge away im often rubberbanding back to my starting position or dont move at all. For me its very well visible since i use mark of evasion, so i can see where my dodge ends, which is often at the starting point. I’m only using double-tap to evade. I always thought is was somehow related to the neco trait mark of evasion that im useing, but if other classes have the same problem it might not be one of the million necro bugs.

Posted by: Sepp.2548

Sepp.2548

Ooh, this is a bug! I see this often, across many classes, and thought I was just doing something wrong. Please fix this asap!

Posted by: osuracnaes.4930

osuracnaes.4930

As mentioned by others, I do see the bug when double-tapping to dodge. As a hammer-wielding guardian it happens every time I try to dodge between my 2nd and 3rd attacks (Hammer Bash and Symbol of Protection). I have auto-attack enabled.