Down the Auric (rabbit) Hole

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Catchy title

Anyway, since its such a local and continuous effect I’d decide to list.
The rabbit hole you fall down in to get to the auric catacombs after the meta battle causes a heavy, like REALLY heavy lag. So bad i sometimes cant open the glider before the game has registered i already hit the ground.

I can survive this by instantly gliding and pressing the reverselean. Im more curious if others experience this as well

EDIT:
There appears to be a small confusion: This isn’t a problem with gliding. Whether you glide or not has no bearance on the effect/outcome. What happens is, as soon as you jump into the hole a heavy load of information is suddenly surged into my pc. The screen freezes or stammers, and all in all its just a one second thing, it’s long enough to show you’ve hit the ground by the time the game is done restabilizing. I think at the moment of jumping down, the game is trying to render the entire catacomb at once, or something similar. Graphical settings have NO effects on the impact or duration of the lag.

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I haven’t personally run into it. Is it possibly a graphical lag? Or just the sheer number of players converging on one spot?

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Amaimon.7823

I haven’t personally run into it. Is it possibly a graphical lag? Or just the sheer number of players converging on one spot?

It doesnt appear to be graphical. The game just lags or freezes for a second or two regardless of graphical settings, and many guildies have expressed similar effects.

What we ‘think’ happens is; when you jump down it instantly tries to load the catacombs. All its contents and stuff. Evidence for this is the fact that it occurs only once until you reload the map

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’ve never had an issue, either. Are you NA or EU? Maybe it’s specific to a data center.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It used to be an issue before they made deploy|stow gliding client side. Before that, lots of people described the OP’s symptoms after defeating the vines attacking Tarir.

Since that time, this is the first report I’ve seen claiming lag for deploying/stowing gliders, whether specific to a post-event group or not.

Accordingly, since the mechanics works client side and since no one else seems to be suffering it, I’d look to something on the OP’s end to fix it.

First try to tune down your graphics options. Turning off player ‘nameplates’ is a good place to start. Turning off shadows and water reflections also helps (yes, I know: there’s no water you can see when you jump down, but it turns out to be a big help all over).

If game settings aren’t doing the trick, double check your GPU settings. Make sure that the game, windows, and your GPU’s custom control panel all agree about your preferences.

If it’s not software, then it’s usually hardware. That’s challenging for some to troubleshoot. If you reach that point, post here again and give us an update on what you’ve tried.

Regardless of your personal efforts, I recommend also creating a support ticket. If you solve it on your own, great; you can cancel the ticket. If not, the tech support team are often really good at helping people resolve this sort of thing.
https://help.guildwars2.com/anonymous_requests/new

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

The rabbit hole you fall down in to get to the auric catacombs after the meta battle causes a heavy, like REALLY heavy lag. So bad i sometimes cant open the glider before the game has registered i already hit the ground

I know right! I lost the count of how many times I died there. :/

It used to be an issue before they made deploy|stow gliding client side. Before that, lots of people described the OP’s symptoms after defeating the vines attacking Tarir.

Since that time, this is the first report I’ve seen claiming lag for deploying/stowing gliders, whether specific to a post-event group or not.

Accordingly, since the mechanics works client side and since no one else seems to be suffering it, I’d look to something on the OP’s end to fix it.

I believe it’s not only on OP’s end actually, I have had that since HoT came out. I just learned and got used to refrain from jumping straightly but climb down to that upper platform first and wait the lag pass and then jump instead.

Actually, it has nothing to do with gliding at all. As I just stated above, the lag doesn’t happen “when falling/jumping” but at the first time the area beneath is rendered. If one simply climb down to that platform with a jumping mushroom, the screen will freeze for a sec (profanity filter kicked in here) until the area beneath is rendered. After that, one could jump safely with no lag at all, even getting a chance to deploy the glider.

Another proof I could tell is that one may lag and fell to death even doing the trick of climbing down to that platform. Once I went to do that but I slipped and fell off, then the screen froze and I had no time to deploy gliding. Yep, you guess it: death :P

First try to tune down your graphics options. Turning off player ‘nameplates’ is a good place to start. Turning off shadows and water reflections also helps (yes, I know: there’s no water you can see when you jump down, but it turns out to be a big help all over). [..]

Even though I believe there is some issue with the way that area is rendered (the whole HoT maps has such issues at release) I also could tell that lessen the graphic settings could help. I was used to do that at my first tries a while back and it helped somehow.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I believe it’s not only on OP’s end actually, I have had that since HoT came out. I just learned and got used to refrain from jumping straightly but climb down to that upper platform first and wait the lag pass and then jump instead.

Actually, it has nothing to do with gliding at all. As I just stated above, the lag doesn’t happen “when falling/jumping” but at the first time the area beneath is rendered. If one simply climb down to that platform with a jumping mushroom, the screen will freeze for a sec (profanity filter kicked in here) until the area beneath is rendered. After that, one could jump safely with no lag at all, even getting a chance to deploy the glider.

Another proof I could tell is that one may lag and fell to death even doing the trick of climbing down to that platform. Once I went to do that but I slipped and fell off, then the screen froze and I had no time to deploy gliding. Yep, you guess it: death :P

First try to tune down your graphics options. Turning off player ‘nameplates’ is a good place to start. Turning off shadows and water reflections also helps (yes, I know: there’s no water you can see when you jump down, but it turns out to be a big help all over). [..]

Even though I believe there is some issue with the way that area is rendered (the whole HoT maps has such issues at release) I also could tell that lessen the graphic settings could help. I was used to do that at my first tries a while back and it helped somehow.

Sounds like you are suffering from high latency in general, because even people with high ping have reported that starting|stopping gliding is more reliable since the change.

It’s also possible that there’s an issue with how the area is rendered, but given how many people drop down that hole every day, we’d have heard far, far more complaints if it affected most people.

I’d recommend that you, too, work with support to see if you can narrow down the issue. If it’s on their side, they’ll need the data they get from working with you to help resolve it. If, as I believe more likely, the issue is on your side, they will probably be able to help you resolve it.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Sounds like you are suffering from high latency in general, because even people with high ping have reported that starting|stopping gliding is more reliable since the change.

It’s also possible that there’s an issue with how the area is rendered, but given how many people drop down that hole every day, we’d have heard far, far more complaints if it affected most people.

I’d recommend that you, too, work with support to see if you can narrow down the issue. If it’s on their side, they’ll need the data they get from working with you to help resolve it. If, as I believe more likely, the issue is on your side, they will probably be able to help you resolve it.

Nah, you may have misunderstood. I’m not having issues with gliding in general, it has been working pretty fine most of time. I just meant that at that specific area I’m used to get a screen freeze for a sec when entering there, and that can cause delays when deploying glide there.

Also as I said I’ve been fine with my workaround of climbing down that platform before jumping into the hole, but still I get a screen freeze so soon the hole renders. Then I just wait the freeze to pass and then I jump and safely deploy gliding normally.

And I see that not many people have complained about it lately, maybe possibly they got used to some “workaround” like me, who knows.

Amaimon.7823

Nah, you may have misunderstood. I’m not having issues with gliding in general, it has been working pretty fine most of time. I just meant that at that specific area I’m used to get a screen freeze for a sec when entering there, and that can cause delays when deploying glide there.

Also as I said I’ve been fine with my workaround of climbing down that platform before jumping into the hole, but still I get a screen freeze so soon the hole renders. Then I just wait the freeze to pass and then I jump and safely deploy gliding normally.

And I see that not many people have complained about it lately, maybe possibly they got used to some “workaround” like me, who knows.

But getting used to it doesn’t equal it’s no longer a problem. I mean, I too just jump down from the ledge so that I fall where I can survive the fall damage (though sometimes I forget and just drop dead because the lag prevents gliding)
Maybe anet should add a pool of water down the hole.