Engineer Bugs (Updated & Consolidated)

in Engineer

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Aim Assisted Rocket does not proc Shrapnel!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in Engineer

Posted by: Sold Out.7625

Sold Out.7625

I seem to sometimes have my kinteic battery buff go away when my dodge bomb explodes. Shrug We’ll have to see about that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9zOWZUywrrg#t=107 Am decently sure it’s the grenades piercing and -not- it being 13 grenades that spawn on barrage. This video is pretty good proof of the current damage on pierce!

Either way it’s borked.

(And I still wanna have skill queue-ing fixed!)

Are grenades supposed to pierce? Perhaps they added it to grenades in stead of pistols by mistake?
I do hope this triad will be added to the pistol as well and the explosive on auto so i can use this instead of grenades.

Nope! Definitely unintentional. It’s only on grenadier and far far far too powerful. And the lack of the pistol baseline trait is in the list!

Leader of the Free Winds – RP, community, and all kinds of fun.
Jara Ariasdottir (Soon all classes proper!)

in Engineer

Posted by: Casia.4281

Casia.4281

Just a sidenote, Mortar’s damage IS being increased by explosive powder, and is in fact being classed as an explosion. This is easy enough to tell when you run the trait Steel-packed powder, or simply look at Mortar’s skill damage and see that it’s damage is blue, not white when you’re traited with explosive powder.

Also, I’m just going to go ahead and say it because we’re thinking it: Mortar Shot’s damage decreased by too much with the latest kneejerk patch. It now only exceeds the Rifle’s damage by virtue of the explosion’s damage trait.

Well, it does by ~5% base, and additionally has the 100% projectile finisher. Was the nerf a bit overdone? Without a doubt. Engie lacks any other ranged option. But if the trait -and- the finisher are both fixed, it should be a decent skill. Now to quickly check if steel packed powder was fixed!

Edit: After some testing, I do -not- think it is actually applied. On the tooltip, yes. I only really quickly hit some dummies though, so that’s hardly maths. Lemme check s’more.

Double edit: All numbers taken without gear in the Silverwastes.

30 shots of Mortar #1 without the Explosives line:

• 5297 damage total

30 shots of mortar #1 WITH the Explosives line (no Glass cannon traited, and no vuln applied on dummies, but Explosives Powder as a minor.)

• 5323 damage total

Short Maths of 10 Mortar #1 shots x 3 WITH glasscannon:

• 5589 damage total

Explosives packed powder is only applied in the tooltip!

agreed. tested. and 10% explosive damage is not being applied.

tested again, and DOES seem to be getting explosive damage. not sure if fixed, or there is some other odd trait interaction making it sometimes get it, sometimes not. (wouldnt be the first time one trait, breaks a different one.)

(edited by Casia.4281)

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

And a potential bug: Medkit #1 has no sound. ’s a simple one.

in Engineer

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

Thanks for all the updates and details. I am going to start the deck chair rearranging process to get these updated. I’ll be moving the “Change Log” to whatever my most current update post is in an attempt to recoup the space. I think we are up to 50 bugs at this point. XD

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Steve.7659

Steve.7659

I really don’t know about the baseline “bugs” because they weren’t even mentioned in the latest stream prior to the patch. But not having ANYTHING out of those seems a bit suspicious too. I just wish a dev showed up and clarified that. -sigh-

in Engineer

digitalruse.9085

I really don’t know about the baseline “bugs” because they weren’t even mentioned in the latest stream prior to the patch. But not having ANYTHING out of those seems a bit suspicious too. I just wish a dev showed up and clarified that. -sigh-

I’m with you. Things were said that made sense and then not mentioned again. Without a firm thumbs up or down it is hard to know, but given all the other bugs Engis and other Profs have, it would not surprise me if some of these things were overlooked, forgotten, or put in place and not responding correctly.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

digitalruse.9085

wipes sweat from brow

5000 characters really seems like more in your head. ANYWHO! Update complete!

CHANGE LOG

Update 1:

Added Bomb Kit animations are inaccurate or inconsistent
Added Medkit skills 2-5 can be picked up by Minis
Added Mine dropped by Streamlined Kits while equipping Grenade Kit behaves erratically

Update 2:

Updated HGH does not increase the duration or reduce recharge of Mortar Kit skill 5 (Elixir Shell) with corrections

Update 3:

Added Detonate Minefield Tooltip is inaccurate
Added Smoke Bomb applying blind once every two seconds

Update 4:

Tested and noted bug fixes from 6/24 patch
Updated Mortar Kit not receiving benefits of explosive powder and shrapnel – While shrapnel now works, explosive powder still does not.

Update 5:

Added Gadgeteer allows you to use a Gadget twice
Added Skill keys are shown incorrectly on the skill bar
Added Static Discharge damage and targeting is inconsistent
Added Rifled Barrels does not appear to be baseline
Added Deadly Mixture does not appear to be baseline
Added Rifle Mod not appear to be baseline
Updated Mortar Kit skill 1 missing radius on tooltip and retical shows wrong radius
Added Flamethrower skill 2 tooltip missing “Blast Finisher” description
Added Kinetic Charge trait behaving incorrectly when detonating a turret

Update 6:
Added Kinetic Charge trait behaving incorrectly with Mine Field toolbelt
Added Reactive Lenses not functioning as expected

Update 7:
Added Toolbelt Skills Interfering with Skill Queuing
Added Adrenal Implant not stacking with Vigor
Added Supply Crate Detonate only providing 1 Blast Finisher
Added Over Shield not reducing Shield skill 5 cooldown
Added Med Kit skills only removing one stack of a condition
Added Throw Elixir X not removing conditions with Alchemical Tinctures

Update 8:
Reorganized list to categorize bugs and recover characters in each post
Added HGH not applying cooldown to Hidden Flask
Added Mortar Kit skills 2, 3, and 4 not pulsing damage

Update 9:
Moved several items to Toolbelt category where they belonged
Added Med Kit skill #1 has no sound
Added Aim Assisted Rocket not triggering Shrapnel
Added Over Shield not apply the proper amount of Protection
Added Over Shield not benefiting from Boon Duration
Added Advanced Turrets reflective shield not visible in large battles
Removed *Flamethrower skill 2 tooltip missing “Blast Finisher” description – Provided clarity

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: EvilSardine.9635

EvilSardine.9635

Fix this broken grenade barrage bug please. EVERY single engineer in WvW is running this and it’s annoying.

in Engineer

Posted by: Memphisjz.1405

Memphisjz.1405

Blowtorch:

This skill always misses when shooting towards an opponent slighty sideways of yourself while moving.
Repeatablity: go to heart of the mists, and find a golem. put yourself 3m away from the golem and strafe around it by running circles. look slighty away from the golem. Your autoattack will hit just fine, but blowtorch will always miss. This is really annoying as this skill has a lot of damage.

Here is a screen. you can clearly see the fire trail going straight through the golem, yet no burn is applied.
http://oi60.tinypic.com/33di2qf.jpg

Hylo Hammerswing [AoA]
Treb Master of the Shiverpeaks

(edited by Memphisjz.1405)

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

Blowtorch:

This skill always misses when shooting towards an opponent slighty sideways of yourself while moving.
Repeatablity: go to heart of the mists, and find a golem. put yourself 3m away from the golem and strafe around it by running circles. look slighty away from the golem. Your autoattack will hit just fine, but blowtorch will always miss. This is really annoying as this skill has a lot of damage.

Here is a screen. you can clearly see the fire trail going straight through the golem, yet no burn is applied.
http://oi60.tinypic.com/33di2qf.jpg

That one’s an old issue that may not really be part of the bugs. It’s same story with the flamethrower: Both Blowtorch and FT #1 shoot where the center of the camera is, even if your character seems to aim somewhere else. It’s a fact that you can use smartly once you have some practice, but I can understand the confusion.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mistro.3059

Mistro.3059

Acid Bomb does not apply HGH to other players, just yourself, despite the 180 radius. Not sure if that is intended.

in Engineer

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

I have recently had a bug where sometimes my Healing turret wont activate the water field to blast for the full heal despite me doing the exact same sequence of key presses every time.

It just gets stuck and doesn’t disperse the water field sometimes and so there is nothing to blast. At first I thought it was people killing my turret before I blasted it but honestly I have tested it and that isn’t why. Just doesn’t activate sometimes.

I believe this has something to do with general responsiveness bug/latency with the latest patch?

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

in Engineer

Posted by: warherox.7943

warherox.7943

Orbital Strike’s AoE circle that enemies see isn’t matching the 360 radius.

Doctor Beetus – Burst Engi Maguuma
twitch.tv/doctorbeetus

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

Orbital Strike’s AoE circle that enemies see isn’t matching the 360 radius.

Tested it. The visual itself is accurate to the hit area. It’s just that the effect gets culled far too quickly, so only the thin blue aiming line happens in many fights. Which is already on the list!

I misunderstood! Not sure about how fitting the ground aoe area is for the enemy team! Gonna sit down with a friend and check it out!

(edited by Sold Out.7625)

in Engineer

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

I couldent find this on ur list but sometimes overcharge on healing turret
takes too long to activate up to 3 seconds! its game breaking a heal that could save u does nothing please adress this

in Engineer

Posted by: Chazz.6709

Chazz.6709

Shrapnel grenade ,Freeze Grenade and Poison Grenade says in the Grenade kit hit only 3 Enemies , but i don’t know ,if its right.i tested it on 4 golems and got 8 hits with shrapnel grenades.Same with the other Grenades.

“All genius said it’s impossible – until someone just did it.”

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

Shrapnel grenade ,Freeze Grenade and Poison Grenade says in the Grenade kit hit only 3 Enemies , but i don’t know ,if its right.i tested it on 4 golems and got 8 hits with shrapnel grenades.Same with the other Grenades.

I have tried it with 5 target golems around me. The maximum amount of hits at once I could manage to get on the spvp golems was 9. Keep in mind it’s 3 grenades x 3 maximum hits. That means it can be a maximum of 9 hits. Same with poison.

Freeze Grenade however has a maximum amount of targets of 5 per grenade. So 15 max. No bug there.

Now, if you got those multiple (8) hits on a SINGLE golem, then that may be related to the currently bugged / broken “Grenadier” trait, which is already on the list.

in Engineer

Chazz.6709

But wasnt it before the patch 5 instead of 3 number of targets ?

in Engineer

Chazz.6709

Also what about high caliber ? shouldnt it increase by critchance by 10 % once im close enough in a radius of 240 ? or does it give me 10 % of my current crit chance ? Also does it show up in the stats list by Equipment ? i never saw it there only the fury one

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

https://web.archive.org/web/20150421213828/http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shrapnel_Grenade

‘twas 3 targets maximum on those particular grenades in the past. It didn’t show as much with poison grenades though, simply due to their field pulsing and constantly hitting other targets. I would love to have 5 targets cap on every grenade but apparently we’re not getting that with the damaging condi ones.

The Crit Chance from High Caliber does not show up in your stats. It’s a static +10%. It can only be tested, not seen on stat windows. So all good there too. : >

in Engineer

Chazz.6709

https://web.archive.org/web/20150421213828/http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shrapnel_Grenade

‘twas 3 targets maximum on those particular grenades in the past. It didn’t show as much with poison grenades though, simply due to their field pulsing and constantly hitting other targets. I would love to have 5 targets cap on every grenade but apparently we’re not getting that with the damaging condi ones.

Ohh … okay … Yeah would be nice ,but well i wasn’t sure yet , if it or if it wasnt a bug … and no i counted all hits together so i hitted on each golem 2 hits with shrapnel.
I was kinda surprised ,because , if you use flash grenade you hit up to 18 targets at once … if you like you can retry it and i dunno , if im right , but 3 targets per one grenade and i throw 3 grenade … arent those 9 hits ? where is the other hit ?

in Engineer

Chazz.6709

The Crit Chance from High Caliber does not show up in your stats. It’s a static +10%. It can only be tested, not seen on stat windows. So all good there too. : >

So i can just hope it works ? I though you can see it on your stats

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

So i can just hope it works ? I though you can see it on your stats

Gotta stick to hope for now! But no doubt this will be found and fixed if it doesn’t really work.

And are you sure you hit 18 targets WITHOUT the (bugged) grenadier trait on flash grenade? Because the flash grenade cap currently is 15.

in Engineer

Chazz.6709

Well Sorry wasnt flash grenade it was freeze grenade and grenade both of them hit over 15+ with bugged trait … my fault ^^

in Engineer

Posted by: Mork vom Ork.2598

Mork vom Ork.2598

Flash is max 3 per grenade, as are Shrapnel and Poison, so max 9 targets. Another undocumented nerf.

Also some new entries for the list:

Flash Shell from Mortar Kit does not trigger Steel Packed Powder event though it’s shown in the tooltip.

Throw Elixir B only grants 3 stacks of stability under water.

Cooldown reduction to Elixir skills from HGH trait does not work on the under water version of Throw Elixir (toolbelt skill) for elixirs S, C, X.

Duration of Smoke Screen is shorter than tooltip on Throw Elixir U suggests. Wall of Reflection’s duration seems about right.

Still loving the smell of Napalm
Bill Kilgore – [BIER] – Seafarer’s Rest random Megaserver

(edited by Mork vom Ork.2598)

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

Flash is max 3 per grenade, as are Shrapnel and Poison, so max 9 targets. Another undocumented nerf.

Also, Flash Shell from Mokittenoes not trigger Steel Packed Powder event thought it’s in the tooltip.

Seems to go for all mortar skills atm. I definitely did some maths for #1 and it did not apply there – so no surprise thar. Might have to update it to “Steel Packed Powder does not apply to any Mortar skills”. Would have to check the flash grenades when I can.

Edit: Just checked flash grenades in spvp. They work fine. 15 hits with one throw. Please check your facts before claiming things, else this thread will become a clusterkitten of catty proportions!

in Engineer

digitalruse.9085

According to the wiki history, only Grenade Kit #1 and #4 ever hit 5 targets. The others were always 3 before the patch.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

I just tested out the flash grenades and they definitely did 15 hits in one throw!

Guess the tooltip is borked. Yay lists!

in Engineer

Chazz.6709

Also Toss Elixir B grants 5 Stabi instead of 3

in Engineer

Mork vom Ork.2598

It’s impossible to really test this as long as Flash Grenade does damage while piercing targets. Just got 29 hits from a single Flash grenade throw.

in Engineer

Mork vom Ork.2598

Also Toss Elixir B grants 5 Stabi instead of 3

It does on land but not under water.
And the tooltip shows 3 for both versions…

in Engineer

Chazz.6709

It’s impossible to really test this as long as Flash Grenade does damage while piercing targets. Just got 29 hits from a single Flash grenade throw.

You using Grenadier trait ? Only Grenadier Trait make you able to pierce with grenades without the trait your grenade goes straight through your enemies and detonate on the marked location.

in Engineer

Mork vom Ork.2598

Flash Grenade does hit on pierce even without Grenadier

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

Flash Grenade does hit on pierce even without Grenadier

That and you can throw them at the ground. So yes, testing is really easy and safe. Just chuck them at your feet while testing.

The bug is another story entirely and needs to go.

in Engineer

Chazz.6709

But i hope they fix this all.I see so many buffs and some nice bugs fixxes,which would make it enjoyable to play engi.I mean it’s a nice class and a really nice Traitsystem , but let’s hope they will fixx all those baseline and Traits bugs asap,then it will be nice.

Itsn’t easy to make a 100% bugfree patch , but still i like their ideas so far.

And didn’t know that with flash grenade can pierce for me it didnt happend,but grenades feels so inaccurate sometimes .they just fly straight forward and missing the enemy.

in Engineer

Chazz.6709

Next Bug with grenades without traits : Flash grenades pierce and hit all targets and getting affected by blindness also they detonate where they hit the ground.

Grenade , Shrapnel and freeze grenade goes through enemies and hit the target area

Poison Grenade detonate on contact , means they dont pierce they just detonate on the first object they hit , if its in their way to the target area

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

I got one more! The Mortar Kit cannot be equipped while in midair unlike all other kits! So no weapon swap to it while jumping, and more importantly, while hanggliding in heart of thorns!

And the “1-4 nades go through the enemy, 5 explodes on enemy contact” always was part of them. Would not classify that as a bug.

in Engineer

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

The mortar kit’s Mortar Shot (#1) doesn’t cleanse conditions when shot through a light field. I’m not sure if it functions with other field projectile finishers.

in Engineer

Sold Out.7625

The mortar kit’s Mortar Shot (#1) doesn’t cleanse conditions when shot through a light field. I’m not sure if it functions with other field projectile finishers.

The finisher currently only works when passing through an enemy before the mortar shot hits the ground. Known issue, but thank you!

in Engineer

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

There is a problem with bomb kit. We are locked into a trashy 180 radius, when promised the traited and extended 240 was to be baseline. This can be tested easily with a golem and static shock (AED tool belt) as it has a 180 range. Approach a golem until the range finder indicates you are just in range then use smoke bomb or fire bomb and monitor the field circle. 180 is also stated in the tool tip.

This really has a massively, negative effect, limiting bombs value, significantly.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in Engineer

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

Updated Mortar Kit not receiving benefits of explosive powder and shrapnel – While shrapnel now works, explosive powder still does not.

Added Mortar Kit skills 2, 3, and 4 not pulsing damage

Explosive powder might be affecting it, someone would just have to take the time to repeatedly attack a target to find your lowest damage infliction, and highest damage infliction for both with and without the trait. That’s really the only way to figure out for certain until Anet comes out and either says “it’s working” or “it’s not working, we’ll get to it.” I’m also concerned whether Shaped Charge, or any other damage modifier, is affecting mokittenamage.

As for mortar 2, 3, and 4, not pulsing damage, that’s probably not a bug, as they do pulse the conditions. It’d be a little excessive to be able to stack 3 damaging fields as well as spam mortar shot, as you’d be able to get in as many as 7 hits a second (with elixir U’s quickness). That’s a lot of hits in a short time. In the entire field duration, you’d be looking at roughly 30-36 hits over 8 seconds, if not less. I doubt anyone could survive that sort of spike.

As for HGH, it would only affect the recharge if you’re taking it and the Orbital trait. But yes, it does need fixed still.

in Engineer

Basandra Skye.4031

Proj finishers must travel through or impact something. Since mortar’s a ground explosion, you’d need it to travel THROUGH the target/ally, then hit the ground.

in Engineer

digitalruse.9085

Proj finishers must travel through or impact something. Since mortar’s a ground explosion, you’d need it to travel THROUGH the target/ally, then hit the ground.

That is not the expected behavior of this skill as described by a dev in another thread.

Explosive powder might be affecting it, someone would just have to take the time to repeatedly attack a target to find your lowest damage infliction, and highest damage infliction for both with and without the trait. That’s really the only way to figure out for certain until Anet comes out and either says “it’s working” or “it’s not working, we’ll get to it.” I’m also concerned whether Shaped Charge, or any other damage modifier, is affecting mokittenamage.

Multiple people have been testing it on golems and dummies. What we have found is that it is either not applying or if it is, it is lower than expected or inconsistent. But yes, many of the Mortar Kit skills appear to be inconsistent and/or bugged.

As for mortar 2, 3, and 4, not pulsing damage, that’s probably not a bug, as they do pulse the conditions. It’d be a little excessive to be able to stack 3 damaging fields as well as spam mortar shot, as you’d be able to get in as many as 7 hits a second (with elixir U’s quickness). That’s a lot of hits in a short time. In the entire field duration, you’d be looking at roughly 30-36 hits over 8 seconds, if not less. I doubt anyone could survive that sort of spike.

Maybe… but compared with the behaviors of other AoE pulse skills, it seems bugged. The damage of the pulses is pretty negligible, but for us the procs for explosives and firearms traits matters more.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

(edited by digitalruse.9085)

in Engineer

Basandra Skye.4031

As far as expected behavior, while it’s not what’s expected of the skill itself, it IS the truth of how projectile finishers behave. The difference between the engi’s pre-patch frag shot (and untraited as well) and mortar finishers is that frag shot terminates on impact with said target, while mortar continues on and ends in an explosion rather than an “impact.” And to be fair, I believe they did mention during an early livestream, mortar shot was going to be a blast finisher (which it still should be, albeit with a less than 100% chance), but that had some concerns for balancing, not just within the engineer class itself (comboing off mortar 5 for insane heals), but other classes as well.

The only hindrance to damage testing ourselves that I can see is that there’s some sort of wildcard modifier, even in the pvp lobby golems, that produces a large variety in damage numbers even if nothing changes.

None of the pulsing skills actually inflict damage beyond the initial shot, which is likely a balancing aspect just like the change to mortar shot’s finisher. Pulsing fields with nearly the same damage as mortar shot would inflict ~6k damage (based around my engi’s current build damage) per second on pulses. Over 6 seconds (since she’s traited), that’s 36k damage. Add in 6 seconds of quickness, which accounts for, we’ll say 3 for the sake of latency, mortar shots a second, that’s 12k damage a second.

in Engineer

digitalruse.9085

As far as expected behavior, while it’s not what’s expected of the skill itself, it IS the truth of how projectile finishers behave.

Grouch describes how Mortar Shot should be working.

None of the pulsing skills actually inflict damage beyond the initial shot, which is likely a balancing aspect just like the change to mortar shot’s finisher. Pulsing fields with nearly the same damage as mortar shot would inflict ~6k damage (based around my engi’s current build damage) per second on pulses. Over 6 seconds (since she’s traited), that’s 36k damage. Add in 6 seconds of quickness, which accounts for, we’ll say 3 for the sake of latency, mortar shots a second, that’s 12k damage a second.

Use Bomb Kit 2. It does do damage on pulse and that damage trigger explosion and firearms traits. Bomb Kit 4 doesn’t do damage (though I swore it did the other day when I tested it), but each pulse does trigger explosion and firearms traits. Use any of the mortar fields, and they neither pulse damage or trigger traits.

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Mork vom Ork.2598

There is a problem with bomb kit. We are locked into a trashy 180 radius, when promised the traited and extended 240 was to be baseline. This can be tested easily with a golem and static shock (AED tool belt) as it has a 180 range. Approach a golem until the range finder indicates you are just in range then use smoke bomb or fire bomb and monitor the field circle. 180 is also stated in the tool tip.

This really has a massively, negative effect, limiting bombs value, significantly.

For clarification:

PvE – 240 radius
PvP – 180 radius – where it really matters most :-(

Edit: further tests show that range in PvE is 180 as well (with some quirks on specific targets)

in Engineer

Posted by: Markus.9084

Markus.9084

I’d like to add another bug :

the trait in Inventions called “Autodefense bomb dispenser” (III) is bugged.

It should drop a smoke bomb when you’re disabled. However, this trait doesn’t take into account the presence of stability.
For example, if I have 1 stack of stab and take a stun, this stack will be consume AND the trait proc, even if I’m not really disabled.

Can someone confirm this ?

in Engineer

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

Unless I’m misunderstanding something, projectile finishers usually manifest their effect in an AoE around the target when you successfully hit with the combo projectile. In PvP I had an enemy player stand next to an allied player and then I hit the enemy player (who was standing next to the allied player) with the combo projectile and nothing happened.

If it does need to travel through a player, does it need to travel through the ally or the enemy in order to proc the effect? Does it work the same way for offensive fields and defensive fields (water/light)?

in Engineer

Basandra Skye.4031

It depends on whether the effect is offensive or defensive Mage. An offensive proc needs to travel through an enemy (poison), while a defensive proc needs to travel through an ally (cure condi). You can test this with the engineer’s mortar kit in hotm with all the golems standing in a line. The projectile only procs the effect if it passes through each target, which rules out using max range due to it’s arc.

As far as expected behavior, while it’s not what’s expected of the skill itself, it IS the truth of how projectile finishers behave.

Grouch describes how Mortar Shot should be working.

Essentially that IS how it’s working. A projectile finisher needs to enter a combo field (not necessarily leave it) to give the popup. You could be shooting at nothing, and hitting nothing. That is in fact what’s happening right now. The more likely problem is that they’re having issues getting it to proc on an explosion, which is a contrary behavior to the finisher, not a problem with the behavior of the skill. Or players are simply misreading what Grouch said.