Escape key no longer opens menu

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: AzzaNancazza.2719

AzzaNancazza.2719

GW2 v49,076

Escape key no longer opens menu or closes world map. instead a weird arrow animation plays appearing to point towards slot skill #6

Posted by: AzzaNancazza.2719

AzzaNancazza.2719

Update: After switching zones, escape key has begun to function normally again

Posted by: vkamicht.5204

vkamicht.5204

Just encountered this bug and a search led me here. Haven’t zoned yet, just started a new character…

Posted by: Sammy.2473

Sammy.2473

i have the same bug..

Posted by: Salvatore.4983

Salvatore.4983

same bug but only on my ranger

Posted by: Leijona.3970

Leijona.3970

I am having the same problem. It is very annoying.

Posted by: xiao.2614

xiao.2614

same here
its VERY VERY VERY ANNOYING
how to fix it?

Posted by: Lauren Kamieniecki.6245

Lauren Kamieniecki.6245

QA Lead

Hey guys,

Please consider this as confirmation this bug is reported and being looked at. I can’t promise you a hotfix or any timeline right now, but you have been heard.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Saw the title and I was hoping this was actually true but it turns out not to be the case.
Escape still bringing up that useless menu …

Posted by: Zyrana.7108

Zyrana.7108

It seems to be a bug with the healing skill hint. The hint arrow remains even after you are back to full health, this seems to be what is preventing ESC from opening the menu. Once your out of the starting zones, this isn’t a problem.

Posted by: DigitalSentience.4362

DigitalSentience.4362

I’m having this problem as well. Thank you for identifying the problem, Zyrana – as long as I don’t let my health drop down low enough to trigger the hint, it’s not an issue. :P

In the meantime, in addition to zoning, F12 brings up a menu that lets you log out and back in, which also resolves the problem.

Posted by: Omne.4086

Omne.4086

Same here. Really obnoxious bug. I hope it gets fixed soon. Thanks for work around tips though. I doubt it’s getting any attention over the long weekend.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Simple work around for this starter zone issue is to just use ANY waypoint after your health is back above 75%.

And yeah it’s the NPE healing skill help hint arrow that refuses to go away even after you use your healing skill or are back to 100% health.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Just to note…

The NPE arrow is showing up even when you do not use the Escape Key (I’ve never used it in-game) and are not low on health. Just at some odd times; I will try to take note of when this happens in the future, but all I can remember was it was in a PS instance. This only started occurring after this most recent patch.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

When your health gets low, this big white arrow appears above your heal skill, prompting you to heal yourself. Only lately, the arrow stays even after your health is full, or even after you use the heal skill. I can’t get rid of it other than exit the game.

The problem is, i can’t exit the game normally by using ESC key that brings up the main menu. Every time i hit ESC key, it makes the arrow shoot in the air and won’t allow me to access the main menu.

Pls see attached screenshot which shows what happens when i hit ESC key.

Attachments:

Posted by: InsaneArcane.2430

InsaneArcane.2430

I have this same issue. My only solution so far is that it goes away if I change map or if I go back to character select with f11. It is really annoying and happens pretty much whenever I get on low health.

Posted by: Navazarian.9246

Navazarian.9246

I have this same issue. My only solution so far is that it goes away if I change map or if I go back to character select with f11. It is really annoying and happens pretty much whenever I get on low health.

Exactly the same here.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Not sure if it also fails in this case but you can also click that little gear icon at the upper left, that brings up the same menu as Esc does (just in case no one tried it).

(yay, NPE stuff messing up with the game :P)

Posted by: pvh.7418

pvh.7418

i have same problem :C

Posted by: Geekfox.4267

Geekfox.4267

In the meantime, in addition to zoning, F12 brings up a menu that lets you log out and back in, which also resolves the problem.

The problem is that pressing the Space bar accidentally in the Log Out window will log you out of the game, as it is focused on the Log Out button as the default action. This bug was also introduced some patches ago.

If this can be looked at as well as the Esc key issue, that would be great.

Posted by: Arsenal.5043

Arsenal.5043

I have the same issue. Blocks you from using escape and it also blocks your buff icons. I got it to clear by using a teleport point but it came right back and wouldn’t leave the first time my health dropped. Very annoying but I can use the gear to bring up same menu as ESC which at least lets me get out of the game.

Posted by: eternalbeta.1290

eternalbeta.1290

Same bug here. I’m new to the game and this bug is actually blocking tutorial and other informational windows from popping up.

Posted by: Trevor Smith.3805

Trevor Smith.3805

same problem here. kittenes me off!

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: Ragdriel.6189

Ragdriel.6189

I’m having the same problem here.

It seems that only happens to my elementalist. Only logging of to character selection ( pressing that gear icon ) and reloging to my character has solved the problem.

It’s really annoying to see that pointer always highlighting the heal skill.

Attachments:

Posted by: Paxton.8391

Paxton.8391

This started for me tonight on a new character. My character is a lvl 5 human thief. I was doing the Free the Moa’s quest, and it was glitched (no one could free a Moa). I don’t know if it’s related or not. It doesn’t do it on my lvl 35 Ranger just this one. So it seems to be a starting area issue…maybe? It also somehow just logged me out in mid kill at the same time.

However, i have been having issues since the last patch mostly with dying and not being able to fight back, but also taking longer to log on. These may not be related at all though?

Posted by: MunkiSiren.8164

MunkiSiren.8164

I’ve had the same issue tonight on my level 5 human guardian. Thank you for the tip about switching zones, as I am sick of re-logging in order to fix it. It has been happening when I have not taken any damage, so cannot be linked to that, for example going afk a couple of times (in a safe area) and coming back to see the arrow above my heal.

Posted by: Marimbajoe.3425

Marimbajoe.3425

Same bug here. Seems to happen in low level areas when you get to low health.

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

When your health gets low, this big white arrow appears above your heal skill, prompting you to heal yourself. Only lately, the arrow stays even after your health is full, or even after you use the heal skill. I can’t get rid of it other than exit the game.

The problem is, i can’t exit the game normally by using ESC key that brings up the main menu. Every time i hit ESC key, it makes the arrow shoot in the air and won’t allow me to access the main menu.

Pls see attached screenshot which shows what happens when i hit ESC key.

I had the same problem – that arrow covered much of what I was trying to hit too.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: Chrono.4108

Chrono.4108

This bug has been an issue for me for a couple weeks now. The arrow over the heal skill and no longer able to use the esc key. Any new tricks to fix this?

Posted by: Abdel Muhti.6431

Abdel Muhti.6431

Hello,

sometimes a suspicious “arrow” appears O_O If i try to push the ESC-button, the option menu wont appear but the arrow jumps up and down.

If i want to close the game i have to return to the desktop und use the task-manager to cancel the GW2.exe

best regards
Jack Arrow

Attachments:

Posted by: Apocalypse.6587

Apocalypse.6587

BUMP

n Error Prevented Saving:
Message Body length must at least be 15.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Posted by: Nakatsu Hime.3520

Nakatsu Hime.3520

This bug seems to have changed slightly.

The white arrow now disappears if I let myself die, and respawn, whereas it would normally hang around unless I logged out, no matter what I did.
Also, I’m now getting reminded that I’ve died, so the beginner’s hint system for low health and death seems to be latched on all the time now.

Posted by: ALLMAC.5614

ALLMAC.5614

How do you get rid of the white arrow over the healing skill box and have it pull the logout screen out?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Bumping this as I have been experiencing this today when cycling between alts in Malchors. I’m seeing it about 60% of the time but I’m just guessing as I’m not tracking the exact number of times.

Edit: And now two full cycles without any issues.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)