Extremely frequent game crashes.

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Khat.9327

Khat.9327

So… Like many others I’ve been playing this game since pre-release and I’ve never had any bad technical experiences with the game. Like ever. It always been running smooth for me, never crashed once never lagged, nothing.

Now, since about 3-4 weeks I’ve been having serious issues with getting a game error + send crash info to a.net. And it usually seems to happen on a world boss fight or a world champ [in Orr usually when it comes to champs]. I’ve been trying to do Vinewrath 6 times one of these days and I ended up crashing 4 times therefore not receiving any reward or loot, loosing the map I was on and all of my bonus buffs. The same has recently began happening on Tequatl the Sunless.

I wouldn’t say the crashes happen due to some kind of graphic or some such failure because I changed not a single piece in my computer ever since the pre-release. I use the same exact pc for the past nearly 5 years.

So … Any suggestions? I know for certain this has started happening ever since the recent patching. But it is really becoming an issue. I do not enjoy playing and working for events so time consuming only to crash and end up having earned nothing for the effort.

What do?

Posted by: Rainmaker.7594

Rainmaker.7594

As I’ve posted on 2 other related posts on the first page of the bugs forums:
The crashing is due to the memory limit of 32-bit programs. ArenaNet seems to be unwilling to make a 64-bit client (which would be the proper fix), so the work around is to lower character limit and model quality to medium during zerg events.

Khat.9327

As I’ve posted on 2 other related posts on the first page of the bugs forums:
The crashing is due to the memory limit of 32-bit programs. ArenaNet seems to be unwilling to make a 64-bit client (which would be the proper fix), so the work around is to lower character limit and model quality to medium during zerg events.

How come it never happened to me before though, through the same bosses and the same zergs. It’s just a recent month or so issue… Just baffles me.

Rainmaker.7594

there are probably more people in the zerg lately. you can verify that it is the out of memory error by checking your crash log in the GW2 folder inside your documents folder. if it says OOM at the top of various crash reports (there is a report in that file for each crash), then that means Out Of Memory (OOM). If it says something different, let us know. you can also post your log here if you’d like. I’d recommend deleting your IP info from the log if you do that though.

Khat.9327

Umm.. there is no such file in my documents\guild wars 2\ folder xD … I checked my game folder and there’s only a crash.dmp file. No clue how to view that though.

Rainmaker.7594

sorry, gave you the wrong location. its at APPDATA/guild wars 2/ArenaNet.log (user directory/appdata/roaming/guild wars 2)

Khat.9327

It appears that you are right. Almost every crash starts with the line

OOM: Heap, bytes=4194352 or a similar number. -sigh-. Thanks for the help Rain.