Finished pers. story=can't exit instance [Merged]

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Akhellan.4180

Akhellan.4180

My L80 character that completed his personal story is no longer able to exit any “personal” instances except via waypoint (expensive) or PvP portal to HotM -> Lion’s Arch.

Locations verified affected:
1. All “Home” instances in all cities
2. Durmand Priory Interior (as that is the order he joined)
3. Caer Aval in Fort Trinity

Observations:
The bug does not affect shared instances such as dungeons, only “personal” instances. The “exit instance” icon that usually would be located above the minimap is missing and there is no exit portal/exit dialog window if the exit location is approached.

Bizarrely, when in a “Home” instance such as Salma District in Divinity’s Reach, all waypoints in the city suddenly require a minimum payment of 1s 39c to use instead of zero. Locations outside cities, such as Caer Aval or the Priory are worse as the instance map is not necessarily anywhere near the exterior location so waypoint costs are much higher. The end result is that the character is “trapped” in the instance and has to pay to exit or must use the PvP HotM portal to bypass.

Alt characters that have not completed their personal stories are unaffected as the floating green mission guide marker does provide an exit dialog prompt.

Personal Note: This bug would not be an issue if waypoint travel was FREE but as it isn’t, other than using the PvP bypass workaround (and having to gate thru Lion’s Arch every time I need to exit such an instance) it becomes an annoyance.

Please Fix. Thank You.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I think this might be a bug that started after one of the most recent updates. But I had two occassions where the exit star for an instance wasn’t there.

The first was in divinity’s reach. I entered the home instance there and the star to leave wasn’t there. I needed to travel to a nearby waypoint cause you can’t reach the red area either (to get kicked our). When I entered again it loaded with the exit point.

The second time was in the black citadel stockade.

Cause both times where in town instances, it wasn’t a real problem (waypoints are available and free in towns). But still a bit annoying.

So to make clear what it is: The green star where you have to go to leave the instance is not there. When you walk through the point where the message to exit should pop-up you don’t get the message.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Kuddlekins.6407

Kuddlekins.6407

If you complete all of the objectives in a story area a small little door icon should appear above your mini-map. Sometimes the star showing the exit doesn’t draw on the mini-map (not sure why). The door icon, when clicked, should pull you out of the instance regardless of where you are.

Posted by: Stonesolid.2706

Stonesolid.2706

If you complete all of the objectives in a story area a small little door icon should appear above your mini-map. Sometimes the star showing the exit doesn’t draw on the mini-map (not sure why). The door icon, when clicked, should pull you out of the instance regardless of where you are.

This is a long time bug where you can get stuck in instances that have nothing to do with story or dungeons. There’s no exit area (the doors don’t popup context menus) and the exit button on the minimap is not there. I’ve had problems with almost every instance in DR and a few in Hoelbrak.

The waypoints also cost money because inside of the instances for some reason it doesn’t count you as being inside of the city.

Stonesolid – Sylvari Mesmer
Member of Unlimited [ULTD]
Fort Aspenwood’s Force of Chaos

Posted by: Tsubaki.2508

Tsubaki.2508

When that happens I ragequit :P (well logout/in fixes it)

Posted by: GoZero.9708

GoZero.9708

Since the instance and not technically “in” town, using a Waypoint charges you money. Teleporting to Heart of the Mist and back is a free way to fix the issue.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Thanks all, mostly I’m so annoyed when this happens I dont even look at the pricetag when porting out. Going to the mysts is not worth it. I have pretty long loading screens on the mist. So it would take me bout 5-10 minutes to ‘solve’ this bug. I try relogging next time.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: PCanineBrigade.4916

PCanineBrigade.4916

“Oh, the exit? Here it i— Wait, you’ve finished your personal story. No exits then. Have a good day.”
Relogging will put your character outside the instance.

Posted by: Akhellan.4180

Akhellan.4180

Update: Following location is also affected

4. Vigil Keep

Additional observations: Decided to visit other instanced maps to see if they were affected. It now appears that any instance that doesn’t have an actual portal to access/exit is bugged. This is why dungeons and the Chantry of Secrets are unaffected.

It appears that in one of the recent patches, the “exit instance” clickable icon usually located above the minimap was inadvertently removed.

Bug doesn’t affect players who still have storyline missions pending as the floating green mission guide object brings up the exit dialog when approached. Bug manifests if player has no missions pending (post Zhaitan defeat) as then there is no mission guide object to interact with.

Addendum: Another workaround appears to be logging off and back on — this moves affected character out of the instance and back into the shared worldspace.

Posted by: lulala.5906

lulala.5906

Bump. Same issue here as I tried to 100% in the major cities. I think it has been like this for many days, no?

Ithereal-Human Guardian
Strip the Soul-Sylvari Mesmer
Peace Breaker [PB]-Jade Quarry

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

It’s been like this for a month at least. In fact, I’d go so far as to say 2 months, if not since release.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Today this is happening in every BC instance I enter as I explore. Over a silver to get out each time ><

Posted by: ekkue.3754

ekkue.3754

I see from this thread, this is quite an old issue.

This happened to me for the first time today. Finished my personal story, went in to the caer aval instance to look at the pact weapons , ran back to the door but no exit message pops up, only way out is waypoint or logout…

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I can confirm this, and it has happened to me while visiting the instanced areas of another race’s home district. It seems that occasionally, if there are no objectives to complete in an area, there is no way to leave the instance without logging out or waypointing (which costs silver, even if it is within the town).

Posted by: uropygid.3402

uropygid.3402

I have this issue, too, so it’s ongoing…

Die Historic on the Fury Road [MMFR]
Underground Salad Association [USA]

Posted by: SwickHobo.5096

SwickHobo.5096

just relog and u can avoid the tele fee if its that big a deal to u.

Posted by: izanami.9534

izanami.9534

I have noticed this issue as well.
I have completed my personal story and am currently helping my husband with his. At the end of each step he leaves the instance as usual but I then have to wait to be kicked from the instance as there is no leave button.

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

I started a Human Necro toon today, and went into Divinity’s Reach and entered the personal story quest “On the Mend”. After being in the instance for a few minutes after gathering the POIs I decided I wanted to do the quest later, and wanted to use a way point to get out of the instance to somewhere else in Divinity’s Reach…. but WPing would have costed me 5 copper to WP outside of the instance, despite the fact that I wasn’t technically leaving Divinity’s Reach.

Working as intended? It’s not a huge deal if I have to run back to the instance entrance to leave, I just found it odd since going from WP to WP within a city usually doesn’t cost anything.

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

It has been like that all along. I think it is because you are in an instance which is treated as separate from the city.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

That makes sense. Was just curious, thanks!

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

Posted by: Raziel.4321

Raziel.4321

This is happening to me at this very moment, this seems like it wouldn’t be that hard of a fix…

Posted by: LAzraeL.2346

LAzraeL.2346

Atm, I’m inside the black citadel instance. After completing the story inside, I have no way to exit, unless I’ve missed something.

Only way for me to get out is currently to go to character select, and go back in.

Posted by: Lordluen.2701

Lordluen.2701

I also cannot get out of this instance. What I did to get out was go to pvp and then exit pvp, however now I don’t have the achievement for watching the instance (which it said I had gotten). I also can’t advance my living story line any further. It is stuck. When I try to rewatch the instance, I see the cutscene, but when I talk to Rox, I can’t reaccept the mission.

This is a very bad bug.

Posted by: Jason King.2647

Jason King.2647

Live Response Embed

We are aware of and working on this issue. Thank you for your patience!

ArenaNet Community Team
Live Response Embed

Posted by: Lordluen.2701

Lordluen.2701

Thanks for the quick response!

Posted by: Montu.5139

Montu.5139

Anet, I think you forgot to add the Leave Instance button with this update. I can’t get out of the Living Story Instances without using a waypoint.

Posted by: Screaming Cantaloupe.2308

Screaming Cantaloupe.2308

I think it’s a bug.

I can enter to watch the instances but I can’t exit into Black Citadel. I have to WP out of it. Is this normal? Usually in personal story I can exit normally.

Posted by: KingxSteve.7859

KingxSteve.7859

Ash Tribune Quarters instance will not load for me after the patch. The loading screen comes up, but even after several minutes of waiting, nothing is coming up.

Posted by: wolfshirt.8459

wolfshirt.8459

I already lost 3s trying to escape Rox’s prison instance. xD

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Also you can’t leave The Core after viewing Rox’s scene unless you pay for a waypoint out (rip off!) or exit by going to WvW/sPvP then to L.A

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Nemui.6753

Nemui.6753

Not sure if this is a bug or just an oversight, but there is no “leave instance”-button in the new living story instances. Pretty annoying.

Posted by: Soulmyr.8094

Soulmyr.8094

Hi today after the patch i went to do the living story and i get stuck in instances, there is no way out, no yellow or green star, no door icon above the map nothing. I’m forced to either use the waypoint or re-log. It’s not major but i find it incredibly frustrating.
I also tried my home instance in Queensdale and had the same issue so it’s not living story exclusive.

Posted by: AlphaMuppet.4397

AlphaMuppet.4397

Ahh… that’s what I came for too. Wanted to report that the Living Story instances I go in to usually have no way out. Hadn’t realised it was something spread to many other instances too, thought they’d just missed it on the new ones.

Posted by: TYHE.6435

TYHE.6435

I confirm that I was unable to leave (the usual way) first instance with Rox and first instance with Braham, also after conversation with Braham/Knut I went to Eir’s instance hoping to get some answers (disappointment – no new dialogue options ?!?! shame) and I also couldn’t leave this instance, no leaving option at the door… So perhaps the problem concerns not only Living Story instances. By the way – I like this chapter of Living Story!

(edited by TYHE.6435)

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

how did they manage to add achievements that you have to go into an instance to do without noticing they never fixed the bug that makes it impossible to leave without paying to waypoint out or relog?

Posted by: Skolia.2408

Skolia.2408

I haven’t checked all of them but the special instanced areas in zones appear to be missing ‘exit points’ (the only way to leave is to use a waypoint (or presumably relog).

So far:
1. Command Center in Black Citadel
2. Seraph HQ in Divinity’s Reach

Posted by: Skolia.2408

Skolia.2408

that’s a good question. seraph hq in divinity’s reach seems to be missing an exit as well.

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

When you finish personal story, there are several instances that don’t have exit options for the player to leave.

Entering the personal story instance after you’ve completed it does not have an exit object.

Several Home districts do not have exit objects.

Posted by: Caerulei.7159

Caerulei.7159

The Imperator’s Core is also a trap. Exiting is impossible without waypointing or logging out.

Edit: Oopse, thread was merged so I guess y’all knew about this for a while.

Encharrneer of first Foundation then Chronicles of Tyria.

(edited by Caerulei.7159)

TheBlackLeech.9360

push F on the door.

Regardless of not having a “Push F to leave” bubble, it should take you out.

Posted by: Gallen Muur.2487

Gallen Muur.2487

TheBlackLeech,

Pushing “F” does not always work, but it is a start.

Yaks Bend Server

Posted by: Brow.9425

Brow.9425

I went in, watched the cutscene, talked to Rytlock first, then the Norn guy, got an achievement point. No exit. Looked at the spear, the pitcher and talked to the aide de camp, no exit. Quit to login screen, did the replay, still no exit.

Rathan Kelet — Maguuma

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

I’ve seen no exit buttons on most of the parts of the living story instances either and although it’s a bit confusing, it doesn’t block the story’s progress. You can do what you need to do in the instance (listen in on the conversation, talk to NPCs) and then just leave by relogging or taking a waypoint outside the instance. In one of the instances (Blood Tribune place) I tried whether I could exit by standing close to the door and pressing “F” and although there was no visual clue that would work, it still did. So probably more of a UI issue than anything else.

No replay needed, just go to the next part of the story.

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

Same here, had to pay for the waypoint.

Posted by: Sharkinu.8096

Sharkinu.8096

Almost all new living stories instances have no exit so you have to play for waypoints. I also reported that in game.

Posted by: eidos.3780

eidos.3780

Same issue, but logging out got me out of the instance.

Posted by: Greyfur.1082

Greyfur.1082

I think Anet needs a test server.

TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech,

Pushing “F” does not always work, but it is a start.

I only suggested this because I, like so many others, have done the living story quest and had the same problem.

Pushing F near the door did work for me tho, so its worth a shot.

Posted by: roguenub.1409

roguenub.1409

Just go back to character select screen and log back into your character.