Forum search is broken

Forum search is broken

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Slive.9053

Slive.9053

It automatically executes the search after I type only one or two characters and usually only finds one or two posts in the results. Search is an important feature for a forum.

I’m using Chrome, if that matters.

Thanks

Forum search is broken

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It automatically executes the search after I type only one or two characters and usually only finds one or two posts in the results. Search is an important feature for a forum.

I’m using Chrome, if that matters.

Thanks

Like a lot of forum’s, this one has never had a good search function (and probably won’t in the near future). I recommend using google, e.g.

site:forum-en.guildwars2.com inurl:forum amalgamated

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Forum search is broken

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can find the Dev response in the Sticky above, among other Stickies, as well.

Forum search is broken

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

There have been many threads explaining why the forum search is broke (among other issues).
Use google to search here.
But the bottom line is ANet/NCsoft refuses to spend any money and time to replace the forums.

Forum search is broken

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

the bottom line is ANet/NCsoft refuses to spend any money and time to replace the forums.

Which is a good choice, in my opinion: the forums works well enough, google search is better than the search feature available at most of the forums I frequent (including some well-funded sites), and there are plenty of other things that ANet can invest in that are more important to the community.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Forum search is broken

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Hello,

We’re sorry for the inconvenience. Please take a look at this thread for helpful tips on how to use the Google Search feature.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Forum search is broken

Posted by: CedarDog.9723

CedarDog.9723

Gaile-
It’s too bad there isn’t a better way to make the forum search issue topic more obvious than a stickied topic on every subforum since these topics seem to crop up still. Or perhaps a change to the forums website to help the myopic not look foolish in front of most of the forum populace? Get rid of the search box and in its place give a clickable link to the Google search topic or something.

Forum search is broken

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

It’s a very old issue indeed. Search worked on past for a while but then got broken.

To summarize, the reason it has been broken so far is, as said by a dev once, the system used here was developed by a third party company (proofs are in the source code) that no longer offers support. Given that nobody at Anet knew how the system internals works they haven’t had time/chances/resources to fix it because it would involve someone there to sit and study the whole framework/system before they could do a proper fix. Then they seems to have prefered to direct any resources somewhere and let it broken as it is, as long everything else reasonably works, until they can find another solution to replace it.

Ironically, I can’t find the post where that was said, but I’m sure it’s somewhere in my post history but I’m too lazy to seek it now :P

Forum search is broken

Posted by: Slive.9053

Slive.9053

LOL. Wow, I can’t believe that is an actual response from the development team. Here’s a link for integrating google search on your forum. It’s free, by the way.

https://support.google.com/customsearch/answer/2630969?hl=en

For now, I certainly won’t feel bad about posting duplicate topics.

Forum search is broken

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Forum search is broken

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

LOL. Wow, I can’t believe that is an actual response from the development team. Here’s a link for integrating google search on your forum. It’s free, by the way.

https://support.google.com/customsearch/answer/2630969?hl=en

For now, I certainly won’t feel bad about posting duplicate topics.

Well, luckily I had posted in that thread then it was in my post history… If you don’t believe me, there you go: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/players/Forum-s-search-feature-doesn-t-work-A-tip/4612877

Btw, it was because of that thread that the sticky one about search was made.

Btw Gaile, a suggestion maybe it would be a good thing to post in that sticky thread the reason of why it hasn’t been fixed so far, then people won’t be claiming that it’s incompetence or what else.

(edited by shadow.6174)