FullScreen works no more on XP after patch

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Keroro.6087

Keroro.6087

After last patch you can only play in window mode on Windows XP 32 OS. If you start game with fullscreen mode, or you switch to it later, screen freeze and you’ve to kill process or reboot computer.

Posted by: aesur.1457

aesur.1457

Hasn’t been working properly on Windows 10 64 for awhile.

Mind Over Matter. If You Don’t Mind, It Doesn’t Matter

Posted by: Dworkin Barriman.1275

Dworkin Barriman.1275

i have the same problem exactly. XP here as well.

Posted by: TheHelicopterGuy.3470

TheHelicopterGuy.3470

For Anyone who isnt using Windows XP. I have windows 7 and i had the same issue. I think I found a solution. right click the icon and go to processes and see if you have the game in compatibility mode. allot of windows XP users are having problems with that same issue. unclick the compatibility mode and you should be fine or at least make sure its not windows XP. That Worked for me

Posted by: Sanrio.7192

Sanrio.7192

A new patch of 1 hr ago
- Fixed an issue that caused the Guild Wars 2 Launcher to freeze.

XP user still cannot use full screen mode and the program has no respond after login

(edited by Sanrio.7192)

Posted by: Tiffany.8576

Tiffany.8576

As I said elsewhere, XP is a 13 year old OS which isn’t even supported by Microsoft anymore. I wouldn’t even expect ANet to keep supporting it. It’s long past time to upgrade your systems if you wanna run modern software.

Tiff | [TW] Tempest Wolves | WvW Staff Tempest Guide
NA/EU sPvP Elementalist

Posted by: sdps.7213

sdps.7213

As I should say elsewhere Tifmron, I would expect Anet to support an OS they say is compatible to the game they sold me.

Posted by: Spook.5847

Spook.5847

As I said elsewhere, XP is a 13 year old OS which isn’t even supported by Microsoft anymore. I wouldn’t even expect ANet to keep supporting it. It’s long past time to upgrade your systems if you wanna run modern software.

Windows any version after 98SE is a flat POS. all they had to do was keep the ease of use and simple menus, then make improvements; but what it’s really about is onion coding, cheapness, and fluffing the consumers. Pretending to reinvent the wheel every couple of years is just tiresome, and most people dont want to bother. I know I wont be giving them more money ever again, and if games wont run on my system, then I guess I will just find something else to do.

aesur.1457

What about the fact that I am using Windows 10 and having this issue!?

Posted by: Ryan.1582

Ryan.1582

The fact that you’re running a technical preview of an OS that itself is unsupported by the people who made it at this point in time because it is a technical preview, and who warn you not to run it as your daily OS?

In the meantime, you could try Compatibility Mode for Windows 7 to see if that resolves your issue.

aesur.1457

I am a tester and am very aware of this however Windows 10 is going to be launched soon…

The fact that you’re running a technical preview of an OS that itself is unsupported by the people who made it at this point in time because it is a technical preview, and who warn you not to run it as your daily OS?

In the meantime, you could try Compatibility Mode for Windows 7 to see if that resolves your issue.

Posted by: Ryan.1582

Ryan.1582

I am a tester and am very aware of this however Windows 10 is going to be launched soon…

Earliest potential release is in June, which is also unlikely. Expect a fall release, as per usual with their release schedule:

WinME – September
WinXP – October
Vista – November
Win7 – July
Win8 – October

Could be totally wrong, but if soon to you is 3 months, then cool!

Edit: In looking a little further, it seems they actually published today that it will be a summer release, so 3-5 months.

(edited by Ryan.1582)

Posted by: Wauzl.3479

Wauzl.3479

I found that I can start GW2 in windowed mode one time, then switch to windowed fullscreen. After that I can start everything normal, except I’m playing in windowed fullscreen, which does not bother me.

You can, though, change from windowed fullscreen to real fullscreen without getting stuck. But on the next map reload you’re stuck again.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I’ve seen at least one report here of someone running windows 7 experiencing this issue.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Tomerant.2701

Tomerant.2701

I used windows XP even my PC could handle newest ones… weird yea :P
But than I experienced this issue and decided to give a shot and install windows 7.

Installed it – ran GW2 – no more flickering and fullscreen works fine.

Pentium 200Mhz; 64Mb RAM; HP Nvidia GeForce 64Mb;

Posted by: MouseLionHeart.2184

MouseLionHeart.2184

A friends has the same problem on XP. Her game was in fullscreen mode before the patch. Is there any way she can change to windowed mode before starting GW2? It crashes before she can access options. Any advice?

Posted by: Daala.4258

Daala.4258

So WinXP users are now forced to upgrade their systems in order to play the game? Sigh… How can I launch the game in windowed mode?

Posted by: Pirate Pete.9564

Pirate Pete.9564

Tiffany.8576

hey tiff, kitten. GW2 worked just fine 36 hrs ago on XP and the fact that it still works windowed means that it is not an OS support issue. The problem is that the Anet proggers screwed their DX screen initialisation handles.

Pirate Pete.9564

Daala.4258
Add ‘’-perf -windowed’’ to your icon shortcut properties
i.e. “E:\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -perf -windowed
my gw2 starts from my E: partition, yours may be different

Tachenon.5270

Since no one at anet has come out and said this was done intentionally, I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it’s a bug. Either way, it would be nice if someone at anet would say something about this.

The table is a fable.

Pirate Pete.9564

Ofc it’s not intentional, it’s just poor programming

Posted by: Myrtanos.3870

Myrtanos.3870

Im using Win7 and i have same problem as you guys with WinXP, cant use fullscreen anymore, only what i can do is reboot. Atm im playing on Windowed Fullscreen which IS bothering me due to lower graphic quality, refresh rate isnt 60Hz as i set and gamma aswell. The new thing after last night fix was the info which i can see now which is saying:
“Your video hardware or driver does not support this setting” , well it was supporting before patch so…..

Attachments:

Posted by: Myrtanos.3870

Myrtanos.3870

For Anyone who isnt using Windows XP. I have windows 7 and i had the same issue. I think I found a solution. right click the icon and go to processes and see if you have the game in compatibility mode. allot of windows XP users are having problems with that same issue. unclick the compatibility mode and you should be fine or at least make sure its not windows XP. That Worked for me

As i said in other topic, his method is working and solving the problem! Cheers!

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Windows any version after 98SE is a flat POS.
…..

BS. Win XP is STILL a very stable and good OS. Win 2000 was the most stable business OS for many years. VISTA was a mess because M$ assumed vendors would write decent drivers (and 64 bit drivers) and when they didn’t M$ had to go back and do it themselves (the OS itself was ok, but the driver fiasco tainted the name badly).

Windows 7 is still the most stable and decent OS M$ ever developed.

Now Windows 8 I will agree with your assessment….the general changes for the desktop version were simply an uncalled for attempt to unify desktops and tablets (which VERY few users actually want).

I’m not going to argue that the changes to the UI over those years were always a good thing, but Windows 7 is MANY times easier to use than 98SE. Users not liking “change” is not a valid reason to call an OS a POS.

Back on topic, this issue does NOT appear to be OS dependent at all. If it is a setting (compatibility mode) that needs to be changed, Anet support should be aware of this and present it as a solution to customers. That being said, the reports seem to be coming from a lot more than just XP users.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

Windows any version after 98SE is a flat POS.
…..

BS. Win XP is STILL a very stable and good OS. Win 2000 was the most stable business OS for many years. VISTA was a mess because M$ assumed vendors would write decent drivers (and 64 bit drivers) and when they didn’t M$ had to go back and do it themselves (the OS itself was ok, but the driver fiasco tainted the name badly).

Windows 7 is still the most stable and decent OS M$ ever developed.

Now Windows 8 I will agree with your assessment….the general changes for the desktop version were simply an uncalled for attempt to unify desktops and tablets (which VERY few users actually want).

I’m not going to argue that the changes to the UI over those years were always a good thing, but Windows 7 is MANY times easier to use than 98SE. Users not liking “change” is not a valid reason to call an OS a POS.

Back on topic, this issue does NOT appear to be OS dependent at all. If it is a setting (compatibility mode) that needs to be changed, Anet support should be aware of this and present it as a solution to customers. That being said, the reports seem to be coming from a lot more than just XP users.

Saying win2000 was the most stable version is just dumb also, win2000 lacks so much compared to these days that you cant say its the most stable version..

These days an OS have to deal with so much more compared to those old operating systems.. most of them where very unsecure because it was so simple.. thats why its stable but NOT stable compared to these days!

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

Windows any version after 98SE is a flat POS. all they had to do was keep the ease of use and simple menus, then make improvements; but what it’s really about is onion coding, cheapness, and fluffing the consumers. Pretending to reinvent the wheel every couple of years is just tiresome, and most people dont want to bother. I know I wont be giving them more money ever again, and if games wont run on my system, then I guess I will just find something else to do.

oooh yes lets go back to win98 without NTFS or kerberos and so much more!!

Yes why not just type all your password and bankaccount/creditcards in plain text and broadcast it to anyone..

win98 was so simple because the world around it was simple..

Posted by: Daggos Skelito.2910

Daggos Skelito.2910

oooh yes lets go back to win98 without NTFS or kerberos and so much more!!

Yes why not just type all your password and bankaccount/creditcards in plain text and broadcast it to anyone..

win98 was so simple because the world around it was simple..

Why are we even talking about operating systems? Fullscreen worked a few days ago before “THE PATCH”! I’m leaning towards programming oops. Lets hope it gets fixed soon or alot are going to take this time looking for other entertainment elsewhere.

Posted by: zareyo.3186

zareyo.3186

….i have the same problem exactly. XP as well…. open ticket for 2 days still trying to fix.

Posted by: Marshie.4219

Marshie.4219

I’ve received an email that this issue has been resolved from GW2 support but I’ve not had a chance to test it yet. Can someone who’s running GW2 on XP please confirm?

Thanks,

Marshie

Posted by: Archomeda.6472

Archomeda.6472

First of all, it’s unfortunate that people with Windows XP are having this problem. Calm down, this is most likely a bug that will be fixed, but its priority might be a bit lower than other things that got introduced with the latest patch.

Secondly, those who are saying that you expect ArenaNet to continue support for WinXP is also very unrealistic. When you bought GW2, you agreed to the terms:
“Due to potential changes, system requirements may change over time, and you may be required to upgrade your current system (or obtain a new system) to continue to play the game.” (buy.guildwars2.com)
Basically, you cannot demand from ArenaNet that they have to support WinXP until it finally dies because you don’t want to upgrade to Win7 or 8.

Of course, on the other hand, when this will happen, it’s only fair that ArenaNet will most likely post something to give you a heads up. So this makes it even more likely that it’s just a bug.

(edited by Archomeda.6472)

Posted by: kindofabuzz.9357

kindofabuzz.9357

You do know your on an unsupported OS? End of Life for XP was almost a year ago.

Tachenon.5270

I’ve received an email that this issue has been resolved from GW2 support but I’ve not had a chance to test it yet. Can someone who’s running GW2 on XP please confirm?

Thanks,

Marshie

Sure, I’ll give it a shot. Cover me. I’m going in.

Elro-o-o-o-o-oy Jetson!

The table is a fable.

Tachenon.5270

Results:

Even though I used the old shortcut without the -windowed switch, the game started up in windowed mode. I set it to fullscreen in options at the character selection screen and the blinking began. After many attempts I managed to shut it down without having to reboot Windows, though, so yippee. Think I’ll reboot anyway.

/e stage bow

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Sanrio.7192

Sanrio.7192

in my case, added -perf -windowed

sometimes GW2 function as well. but sometimes the computer reboot after login

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

Thanks,

Marshie

Still not fixed as of 2015-03-19 06:00 GMT. I tested this on both my kids’ machines. They both run XP, but have differing hardware, so it’s not a hardware issue.

I can start the game with the “-windowed” flag, then change it to “Windowed Fullscreen” with the in-game settings and can transition zones, etc. without an issue. Fullscreen will sometimes allow you to do stuff until you change zones or sometimes start flickering immediately. After changing to “Windowed Fullscreen” in-game I can remove the “-windowed” flag and change zones and exit/restart the game without issue.

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

Posted by: Gasparik.7309

Gasparik.7309

Still not working…I tried the “windowed” mode and the game is still not responding(I hear the music but my mouse flickers).

Posted by: Tomerant.2701

Tomerant.2701

if you have more than 2gb RAM, seriously, upgrade your systems to windows 7.
It takes less than 10minutes to complete install.

You dont have to erase data since it offers the option to just upgrade your current system without data loss.

Check if some of your friends have bootable Windows 7 disk and do the job.

Pentium 200Mhz; 64Mb RAM; HP Nvidia GeForce 64Mb;

Posted by: Swagmeister.6524

Swagmeister.6524