Game crashes constantly while starting

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: FireSpark.3826

FireSpark.3826

I have tried about five times, now, and will continue to do so, but the results have been the same. No matter which of my characters I select to load, the game crashes immediately after I click the PLAY button on the character select screen. I get the following error log:

—> Crash <—
Exception: c0000005
Memory at address ffffffff could not be read
App: Gw2.exe
Pid: 9148
Cmdline: -testVerticalFov
BaseAddr: 00400000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 27836
When: 2014-01-04T17:24:21Z 2014-01-04T11:24:21-06:00
Uptime: 0 days 0:00:45
Flags: 0

I can always get back to the character select screen, but one thing that I noticed is that on the stats for a character I have previously tried to load (and subsequently crashed) the map completion stat shows 0%.

Can anybody help? Thanks.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Hmm, that error report mentions about a failure when reading a memory address… Maybe corrupted file? Try to repair the game or reinstall it. I can’t recall the thread about repair but I know you can do that by adding -repair to the game command line, something like “C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe -repair”.

Also, if you can give more info about your system it can help, like OS, RAM, etc.

Posted by: FireSpark.3826

FireSpark.3826

UPDATE: Game is up and running again. -Repair did the trick. Only thing I can even guess would be that something went sideways when I closed down yesterday.

Thanks to shadow for reminding me about -repair. I hadn’t needed it since launch, and had totally forgotten about it. Even still had shortcut for it tucked away in the folder.

Ah yes, I do seem to remember something about a repair function. I’ll have to try that. Also, my specs are:
Win7
64 bit
Intel i7-2600k processor @ 3.4 Ghz
8 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card

Game was running fine yesterday, and nothing else weird has happened to my computer, so I could only assume something went bonkers with GW2. I’ll try that repair thing though.

(edited by FireSpark.3826)

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

I’m glad to hear that -repair did the trick. Maybe it was because some part of the game file got corrupted due some unknown reason. In my case I have never needed that command and I even didn’t know about it until some weeks ago, hehe.