Game freeze [likely DPS Meter related]

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Kate Soulguard.7132

Kate Soulguard.7132

I patched and logged in as an engineer parked in Lake Doric in the turret farm area. I see a loading screen, and the legend of hearts / POI’s / Waypoints at the bottom of the screen, but the game appears to halt.

Logging in as another character and traveling to Lake Doric, as I approach the turret farm area, the game freezes.

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

Nah, the game just crashes randomly. Crashed for me twice in Bitterfrost Frontier (not doing anything in particular) and once in the Special Forces Training Arena.

Kate Soulguard.7132

I’ve officially bricked another character running to that spot. For this second character, the game freezes while loading, on the loading screen, after the legend is rendered at the bottom. Is it just me?

Kate Soulguard.7132

Okay good to know, thank you Feanor.

Posted by: Solaris.2489

Solaris.2489

Same here, when I log into a char in Queensdale the game freezes every few seconds, like watching a slide show. If I log on a char in LA it freezes directly in the loading screen and doesnt continue.

Posted by: nkjp.5602

nkjp.5602

Remove dps meter dll’s in gw2 bin folder. Worked for me.

Kate Soulguard.7132

Yes. I had bgdm installed… removing it has fixed this issue for me.

Kate Soulguard.7132

I’ve updated my topic.

Posted by: Solaris.2489

Solaris.2489

Yea this was the problem, deleting d3d9.dll (arcdps) in the bin64 folder fixed it.

Posted by: CheckPlease.2631

CheckPlease.2631

Just adding that I too was crashing and removing d3d9.dl and bgdm.dll (BGDM DPS Meter) from the bin folder fixed it.

Thanks guys!

Posted by: Lidia.9681

Lidia.9681

Was having a similar issue, removing the dps meter worked. Has anyone submitted a ticket to let gw2 know this is a thing?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

FYI it’s not uncommon for games to crash after a game patch, but before any ‘injector’ type 3rd party apps have been updated. I use one shortcut to start the game with a DPS meter and another to start it without, just so it’s easy to swap back|forth.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Was having a similar issue, removing the dps meter worked. Has anyone submitted a ticket to let gw2 know this is a thing?

DPS meters are not supported by anet — they are very much hacks, but currently being tolerated by the gw2 security team, despite being a technical violation of the terms of service.

If they break, or break your game, you get to keep both pieces. ANet will simply tell you to remove the software and then report the problem if it happens without it.

If you do intend to run one, you should ensure that you are always keeping up with the latest update to it, and if you ever hit a crash, report it only to the DPS meter author rather than anet — or reproduce the crash without the meter installed.

(The same goes for anyone using GemFX, reshade, or other things that inject in the rendering path, too.)

Posted by: kniklz.9483

kniklz.9483

Update your dps meter or disable it. I had this problem right after patch.