Gliding Bug

Gliding Bug

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Ester Sauter

Ester Sauter

GW2 QA Lead

Currently we are tracking a bug on live that allows players who do not have the Gliding Mastery to glide while in Guild Halls. Naturally, that’s not an intended feature of the game, and a fix that will correct it will go live with our next update. Until then we hope that everyone who does not currently have gliding enjoys the experience for the time being.

Gliding Bug

Posted by: Lennox.7135

Lennox.7135

Oh well, that settles the original question from the other thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/GH-Gliding-without-HoT/first#post6082939

Can you please help with the remaining question? Accounts without HoT usually are locked from purchasing gliders in the item shop. However, my vanilla account could buy the Super Adventure Glider and the Bubble Glider at the moment, the Ironclad Glider too while it was available.

I was about to buy the SAG but what could I do with it?

(edited by Lennox.7135)

Gliding Bug

Posted by: Kargaros.9083

Kargaros.9083

I actually thought it was a neat and intended feature when one of my friends (without HoT) discovered that he could glide in our Lost Precipice guild hall. It gives every guild member a taste of gliding and thus as incentive to buy HoT in order to glide everywhere else as well.

You should consider changing it from a “bug” to a “feature”.

Gliding Bug

Posted by: Moira Shalaar.5620

Moira Shalaar.5620

I agree with Kargaros. I had originally thought that this was an intentional marketing idea. I think this should be kept live for the purpose of catching the interest of core game owners in buying the expansion.

mid-2011 iMac; OSX 10.9.5; 3.4 GHz Core i7;
16GB RAM; AMD Radeon 6970M 2GB VRAM

Gliding Bug

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Have the launchers at Tequatl been looked into yet? You currently cannot use them if you don’t have HoT/gliding unlocked.

Gliding Bug

Posted by: Ghedoriah.4290

Ghedoriah.4290

Speaking as someone who owns HoT, I’d be more than happy if it was left in as a “feature”. I think it’s actually a nice way for core/f2p players to be able to try it out.

Sea of Sorrows

Gliding Bug

Posted by: Al Menia.4570

Al Menia.4570

Yeah I totally agree even if I own HoT! Keep it as it is!… It’s not like they could really enjoy all the features of gliding ^^

Gliding Bug

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I think y’all should consider leaving it in as a taste of gliding for non HoT owners. That might be enough to push some to purchase and since it’s restricted to that map then it’s not going to affect gameplay or events.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Gliding Bug

Posted by: Control.8154

Control.8154

Aw I didn’t know it was a bug

I don’t have HoT and I loved gliding in Guild Halls.

Gliding Bug

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Currently we are tracking a bug on live that allows players who do not have the Gliding Mastery to glide while in Guild Halls. Naturally, that’s not an intended feature of the game, and a fix that will correct it will go live with our next update. Until then we hope that everyone who does not currently have gliding enjoys the experience for the time being.

So, it’s a classic ‘exploit’, you are of course taking action against those using it, like you do whenever people use such ‘exploits’?

Obviously you’re not, so why?

Why the inconsistency? Just when is ‘unintended play’ declared an ‘exploit’ and when not?

Gliding Bug

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

So, it’s a classic ‘exploit’, you are of course taking action against those using it, like you do whenever people use such ‘exploits’?

Obviously you’re not, so why?

Why the inconsistency? Just when is ‘unintended play’ declared an ‘exploit’ and when not?

An exploit isn’t an exploit if it isn’t exploitable. That is, if you can’t get from it any benefit that can show in the records of your account. Items you gain, currencies you obtain, achievements unlocked, etc.

It doesn’t even have to be a bug to be an exploit. It can be an oversight like a wrong cost set in a vendor or a missing collision on a map that allows skipping parts of it and reaching the rewards faster.

Flying around in the guild hall provides nothing that can get stored in the account. There isn’t even something like an achievement for spending time gliding. There aren’t any jumping puzzles or rewards of any kind in there. No achievements or unique vendors you get by using gliding.

This is also why most ‘map breaking’ isn’t considered cheating. Since most of the time there isn’t anything of any value to be obtained out of bounds.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Gliding Bug

Kargaros.9083

While I couldn’t find it in the patch notes, it seems that the “bug” has been removed

It guess we have to go back to telling our non-HoT friends how fun gliding is instead of showing them.

Gliding Bug

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

While I couldn’t find it in the patch notes, it seems that the “bug” has been removed

It guess we have to go back to telling our non-HoT friends how fun gliding is instead of showing them.

The developer who created this thread clearly said they intended to fix it. You’re right that it wasn’t specifically stated in any patch notes as being fixed.

But, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2016-04-19#Bug_Fixes_4

Fixed a bug that allowed accounts without glider access to purchase glider skins.

It’s possible this may have been the exact bug that allowed non-HoT players to glide in guild halls. It’s the closest thing in any patch notes related to gliders and players who don’t own the expansion.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Gliding Bug

Kargaros.9083

But, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2016-04-19#Bug_Fixes_4

Fixed a bug that allowed accounts without glider access to purchase glider skins.

It’s possible this may have been the exact bug that allowed non-HoT players to glide in guild halls. It’s the closest thing in any patch notes related to gliders and players who don’t own the expansion.

Good point. It seems reasonable that gliding in guild halls and buying gliding skins might have been symptoms of the same bug deeper in the system.