Goemm's Lab causing players to be banned?

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: monoforce.7153

monoforce.7153

Recently, a ton of players on the Guild Wars 2 subreddit are claiming that their accounts have been banned, and the last thing they did was the Goemm’s Lab jumping puzzle. I’m not sure if it’s a coincidence, a rumor, or if something’s going crazy with ban detections. I really want to try the puzzle but I don’t want to get banned.

Posted by: Gabe.3976

Gabe.3976

Directly from that subreddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1h6g2k/clearly_something_is_wrong_with_the_metrica/carfeax

There is dev acknowledgement, and they’ve corrected the issue, and are working on correcting any banning errors.

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

I can’t go into details, but there were a tiny number of accounts that had false positives for cheating/hacking caused by a bug in the puzzle. We’re fixing that bug (if it hasn’t been fixed already) and reinstating the accounts that were incorrectly banned.

(edited by Jeffrey Vaughn.1793)

Posted by: Lumpy.8760

Lumpy.8760

i’m scared of trying new things

Posted by: monoforce.7153

monoforce.7153

I can’t go into details, but there were a tiny number of accounts that had false positives for cheating/hacking caused by a bug in the puzzle. We’re fixing that bug (if it hasn’t been fixed already) and reinstating the accounts that were incorrectly banned.

Thank you very much!

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

So basically if it wasn’t for the reddit post, these player’s account would stay banned? I wonder what is the exact number of “tiny number of account” in this case and how many other account have been wrongly accused due to the flaws in your detection software in the past?

You guys have made an excellent game but the attitude towards some of us dedicated players need to change a bit. “Our software has detected that you modify the game and now you are banned and decision is final and non-reversible” is not the best response when you software makes mistakes.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Posted by: Kashrlyyk.5364

Kashrlyyk.5364

That’s weird because the emails state:
“This decision has been thoroughly reviewed by our team, and we maintain absolute confidence in our conclusion.”

So how can that be:

a) NOONE looks at the decision at all. It is completely automatic. And you LIE to your customers.

b) The support team is a useless bunch of incompetents.

c) You DID not “thoroughly” looked into it. Just a half a second long glance. Which would mean you again LIE to your customers.

I’d like an explanation for how your detection code that you have “complete confidence” about, so much in fact that you outright refuse to even “accept an appeal” stating that the account is not “eligible for reactivation under any circumstances.” led to you reactivating accounts!

I have never seen a more arrogant bunch of *************************************************************************************.

The absolute minimum is a public apology on this forums.

BTW: I am not even affected by the ban but the arrogance in those emails just really rubs me the wrong way.

(edited by Kashrlyyk.5364)

Posted by: bigblah.3285

bigblah.3285

I did that jumping puzzle yesterday, fell through the floor about 3-4 times.

Please don’t ban me

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Whereas it is a relief you have discovered this bug, I suggest you also look into a compensation for the innocent players whose accounts you automatically banned because of “fool-proof”, 3rd-party hacking software. Players ranged all across the board from casual to hardcore with thousands of hours playtime, and to be slapped with an automatic ban and unruly dismissals by GMs calling them cheaters without letting them know what they stood accused of is very harsh.

In this case it’s probably a dozen or twice that judging by the desperate threads popping on Reddit since the incident, and some sort of compensation when you’ve been falsely accused (and judged) when it turns out it was your own doing.

I’m not one who was affected by this, but can only begin to feel what these banned, innocent players must feel and some even are struggling to motivate themselves getting back into the game.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: raprap.4326

raprap.4326

So basically if it wasn’t for the reddit post, these player’s account would stay banned? I wonder what is the exact number of “tiny number of account” in this case and how many other account have been wrongly accused due to the flaws in your detection software in the past?

You guys have made an excellent game but the attitude towards some of us dedicated players need to change a bit. “Our software has detected that you modify the game and now you are banned and decision is final and non-reversible” is not the best response when you software makes mistakes.

I would like ANet to answer this person

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I don’t use Reddit or follow GW2 on any of those other 3rd party social media sites which is why I never really get any updates from ArenaNet…they don’t post any info on their own official forums. So, thank you for posting this serious ban ‘bug’ issue on here for us to see.

Also, since I do not use Reddit, etc., if something happens and I get banned by this flawless system due to some bug, I won’t be able to appeal my ban. Even if a ton of people get banned due to this bug, only if I make a huge stink on another website (since I wouldn’t be able to submit a ticket or post on here) and enough other people were also affected, then I am pretty much SOL.

Before this situation arose I would pretty much give new content a day or two before taking part simply because of the normal bugs that every single release has been plagued with. Now, not only will I be giving it the usual day or two, I actually may not take part in any new content at all due to serious issues such as this. Even still, doing existing content now scares the crap out of me since this was an existing jumping puzzle just with a bit of new content added for the current event.

This issue could have been much, much worse. I actually wouldn’t be surprised to see a bug in a new content release where all players are banned upon loading into the game due to some issue with more untested content (just look at how all accounts were turned into trial accounts recently…seriously, a bug that makes every person get banned on log-in is not that crazy an idea). That is how much faith I now have in the frequent releases of new content that are not tested out thoroughly; fear of even logging in to the game. We are not guinea pigs! And releasing new content and NOT testing it thoroughly beforehand leads to serious issues like this. Also, leaving no possible recourse or option for dialogue for those affected to have with the company due to total faith and reliance on an automated system is not how one should treat their customers.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Oliver.6159

Oliver.6159

It looks like, that my son happened the same. The ticket number is: 130626-002997.

Please take this ticket into your investigations, too.

Thanks

(edited by Oliver.6159)

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

So, in the face of the resulting criticism of this post you posted a short explanation of the way the bug falsely accused players of cheating by mentioning what the bug did in the JP .. that post has now interestingly disappeared.

Why?

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

So basically if it wasn’t for the reddit post, these player’s account would stay banned?

-snip-

-snip-

Also, since I do not use Reddit, etc., if something happens and I get banned by this flawless system due to some bug, I won’t be able to appeal my ban. Even if a ton of people get banned due to this bug, only if I make a huge stink on another website (since I wouldn’t be able to submit a ticket or post on here) and enough other people were also affected, then I am pretty much SOL.

-snip-

I want to be sure you’re aware that we will always review an appeal of an account termination. We also maintain a busy, and actively-supported Account Issues Forum, and folks get help there all the time. So if something happened — and let’s be clear that that possibility is extremely tiny — you can:

• Submit a ticket
  • Discuss with an agent
  • Ask for a review via ticket
  • Post on our Support Issues Forum. And if your account was terminated, you can ask a friend, family member, or guildie to post in the “Tickets for Review” thread on your behalf. (Please have them include your 12-digit ticket number; that really hastens our ability to help.)

Truth be told, we are far more likely to see emergent issues on our own forums than we are on an external forum. I can’t speak to this particular issue, to say “We learned of it [here]” but in a general sense, we track the Guild Wars 2 forum regularly, and you absolutely do not need to join an external forum to get help.

As previously mentioned, we’ll provide more info about this later.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet