Guardians benefiting from Aegis in Crab Toss

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Hashire Kazemeijin.6719

Hashire Kazemeijin.6719

Exactly What It Says On The Tin. I don’t know if it was just an isolated bug or if it’s around more, but in one of the games I played today, a Guardian would occasionally get Blocks when punched, planked, etc, and the Aegis ’"refresh" particle would play a bit after.

Not a terribly big deal, but something nonetheless.

(Off topic. Can someone point me to where I can report griefers? None of the in-game options are even close to “Report for Griefing”)

I always carry my own weight. I just happen to be made of helium.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

What are you considering griefing?

Posted by: Hashire Kazemeijin.6719

Hashire Kazemeijin.6719

Well for the past two days, I’ve won a game or two of Crab Grab, and for the rest of the matches that I had played, there was always one guy in every arena who spent the next 45 mins or so doing absolutely nothing but purposely ruining my experience by attacking me all game. It kinda sucks when I can’t even play when I get Planked or Fished every 5 seconds. Made worse today by a guy with a Pole and a Conch; it was impossible for me to do anything without totally focusing on said guy and wasting all my stamina rolling him and not the Karka.

It was mostly ok today since I was able to change arenas ok, but outside of the weekend, I only have a small timeframe to actually play, and it’s really kitten when I can’t because of people like them.

Edit: That is an adorable censor.

I always carry my own weight. I just happen to be made of helium.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Unfortunately it’s difficult to prove that they were trying to grief you. You can email https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/ask/ and maybe they can look into it. In the meantime I would just switch to a different match.

How do I report a violation?

If you encounter a player who you believe violates our guidelines with inappropriate actions, vulgar language, offensive character or guild names, advertising of cheats or exploits, or any other breaches of our User Agreement or Rules of Conduct, we’d like to know about it. Please use our online help tool’s Ask a Question tab at the top of this page to inform us of the violation.

Here are some examples of violation details that you should send in your report:

• The name of the character being reported
  • The name of the character you were playing at the time of the encounter
  • The time and date of the incident (with time zone)
  • A description of the offending action, dialogue, or name
  • Screenshot(s) of the incident (please ensure any screenshots are in JPEG/.jpg or GIF/.gif format and under 2 megabytes total in size before you attach them to your message)
  • Any other details that you feel are relevant

We will use the information you have provided to investigate whether a violation of the rules has occurred. If we do find any rules have been broken, we will take action.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Kunzaito.8169

Kunzaito.8169

This is still an issue. Guardians can bring Aegis with them into Crab Toss and get a huge advantage by blocking the first couple of attacks and making sure they get the crab first. There is one player in particular that I have seen (don’t know if it’s ok to name names) who is quite good at crab toss. He leaves after every match to pop Aegis and come back, and he’s nearly impossible to beat because of it.

Posted by: Illumine Sparkler.6019

Illumine Sparkler.6019

As someone that plays there guardian almost exclusively I can confirm that our inherent aegis allows us 1 free block from any attack. while its not a major thing you could almost just say hit the guardian once before match properly starts and away you go I don’t think its fair myself.

We should all have a level playing field, but I can garauntee we don’t always get the crab first and don’t always win, ive won by a 100 point margin with no aegis so a lot of skill is also needed, but I would like to see this fixed so the skill of the can show through.

in respect to the greifing thing, ive also had this after a win, someone just constantly attacking me, when questioned I was told it was because I won the last match, I don’t deserve to win a second, unfortunately I don’t think there is anything that can be done about these people, they could just argue I thought they had the crab.

tl:dr as OP said and I agree fix it so guardians don’t spawn with aegis (maybe a karka knocks down everyone at start)

Leader of GOLD (Guardians Of Lost Deities)
Whiteside Ridge server
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

@Illumine: It’s not quite as easy to remove as that. The Guardian’s Aegis will continue to pop until the first time the Guardian gets downed (by karka or hatchlings) in the current match. I don’t blame innocent Guardians who just happen to join, but I take a dim view of players who constantly leave matches to refresh the bug (see below).

@OP: The Guardian Aegis bug is a known issue, but unfortunately ANet probably regards it as low on the priority list of things to fix. I agree that it’s very annoying and players who deliberately exploit it are cheating and should face some sort of minor sanction.

You can tell who’s aware of the bug too because they will deliberately quit the match after it finishes only to rejoin the next one. They do this because this will “refresh” the bug; if they simply stay in the current match and let it roll over to a new match the Aegis will not get refreshed.

It’s still possible for a good player to win against such a cheater, but when both of them are equal in skill, the Guardian has a tremendous advantage, especially in the early part of the match where there are likely to be only 1 or 2 rivals and their Aegis prevents them getting interrupted or grabbed so they can get the Crab first.

As for the other instance of griefing where one player just keeps trolling you with Planks/Fishing Poles, I agree it’s extremely annoying, but very satisfying when you still win even with their trolling. (I feel fully justified in spamming /laugh at such players.)

(edited by Zaxares.5419)

Posted by: Aerin Dark Water.6283

Aerin Dark Water.6283

I play a gaurd as well and I don’t mean to have my aegis in match for crab toss. I go to the lenngth to get run over by the kara so that it goes away. I only do the mini game for daily, so I don’t sit there to farm. that’s just mean.

Want an art commission of your character? PM me to find out how! In-game gold art commissions!

Illumine Sparkler.6019

if im planning on doing crab toss for an extended period of time I will exit out after every 2-3 matches and rejoin, not because of the aegis issue but to try and get dif opponents, not knowing how the opposition are gonna play makes you think more tactically, so saying you can tell who they are cause they quit out isn’t valid imo.

Whiteside Ridge server

Zaxares.5419

That doesn’t really ring true to me, Illumine. In just about every Crab Toss match I’ve played, once the match is over everybody except me (I play to get 3 wins every time Crab Toss is available) quits out. Occasionally there’s one other player who stays, but they usually quit out after two or three matches too.

Saying that people quit to get different opponents is a bit unbelievable since it’s likely the vast majority of your matches will be with completely different players every time. (And sometimes you get those strange matches where not a single other player joins in throughout the entire match.)

Again, it’s only suspicious if the player is a Guardian AND they keep exiting and rejoining after every match.

(edited by Zaxares.5419)

Posted by: Kunzaito.8169

Kunzaito.8169

Zaxares describes the exact situation I have witnessed. The same player, a guardian, exits after every match, and is back in the next one. I am the only other holdover, generally. I see him pretty much every time Crab Toss is up. I do not see this with any other classes – when people want to keep playing, they just stay. It’s really clear when guardians are abusing this bug.

Thanks for the fuller explanation of how long the Aegis lasts, that explains why I see it pop over and over at the beginning of matches but not later. I don’t play guard so didn’t understand the mechanic.

It’s unfortunate they’ve let it persist this long. I know a lot of people see the activities as a daily chore, but for those of us who enjoy them I think we deserve blatant imbalances like this to be fixed. I can’t get a fair match, and although he’s cheating I don’t want to waste my time sitting there trolling him with the fishing pole (been on the other side of that and it sucks).

Illumine Sparkler.6019

That doesn’t really ring true to me, Illumine. In just about every Crab Toss match I’ve played, once the match is over everybody except me (I play to get 3 wins every time Crab Toss is available) quits out. Occasionally there’s one other player who stays, but they usually quit out after two or three matches too.

so you play 3 matches at a time, and others that do that you have seen quit after 2-3. reasons why people stop at about that number are completely different, I do the same in all pvp situations, im currently doing it in pvp on my ele, after each 3 matches ill leave and pick a new map.

just cause you think otherwise doesn’t mean all guardians that leave and rejoin are doing it for the aegis benefit, as I posted before, im all for the removal of it.

Whiteside Ridge server

Zaxares.5419

As I said, it’s “suspicious”, not that they’re automatically guilty. But I just have my doubts if the player is always using a Guardian AND leaves after EVERY match. If the player intends to play multiple matches of Crab Toss, there’s no real reason to leave after every single match. It takes LONGER to leave the match and then join a new match than just let the match re-roll, and as I mentioned earlier, the vast majority of players are only there for the daily and leave once the match is over, so it’s not to “find different players”.

The player I’ve observed in question played 12 matches, leaving and re-joining every single time. (It might actually have been more, since there were some periods where that player didn’t join my particular game.) They might have had an innocent reason for doing so, but I’m inclined to believe otherwise based on how they played at the start of the match.

In any case, I agree with you that the core fault is the Aegis bug and that it should be fixed post-haste. Whether or not ANet decides to further penalize potential cheaters is up to them, but I think it’s minor enough that they will probably escape sanction.