Guild Party Map Icon Possible Bug/Oversight

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Before, if you were in a party (no matter who with), each player would be depicted as a blue dot. If you were far away from each other on the map, this blue dot would appear at the side of the mini-map, showing which general direction the other player was if you were unable to see their exact location on the UI.

We’ve now got a different colour dot to show guild members in our party. This is excellent imo, and will be really helpful in the future for raids, I bet.

BUT the problem with the yellow dot is that it doesn’t show on the edge of the mini-map if the player is far away. It totally disappears.

I play GW2 with my boyfriend- we’re in the same guild and we’re often in the same party. This is quite an inconvenience for us, and I can imagine it would be similar for other players.

I’ve added some screen shots to show the differences:
The first picture shows the yellow dot on my mini-map.
The second picture is of when my guild+party-member “runs off” of the visible area on the mini-map.
The third picture is of how the party-member icon still appears when the party-member “runs off” of the visible area on the mini-map.

Attachments:

Posted by: Aidal.4901

Aidal.4901

I was actually about to make a topic about this, and oddly I play with my girl when we noticed this issue pop up.

It is manageable by using the full map, and just kind of periodically checking it, which is fine for PvE, but WvW gets a bit frantic and this only makes things more difficult.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

It seems like the yellow dot can be a bit temperamental too.

Sometimes I appear as a yellow one, sometimes blue… it happens when remaking the party or after dc-ing/logging out and neither of us change guilds or anything.

Very odd.

Posted by: GeminiArcher.7809

GeminiArcher.7809

Last week there was some change to the the party member dot on the map. It’s always been a blue circle that shows up at the edge of the minimap when the party member is off that section of the minimap.

I party with a friend a lot and we’re in the same guild, and last week he started showing up as a yellow splotch sometimes instead of a blue dot. The same for him, he sees this issue too. There is no consistency to the way this is applied- sometimes he will be blue dot, sometimes he will be yellow splotch. I tested it tonight and it does appear to be related to being in the same guild, as he was yellow and then I switched to another guild and he turned blue, then back to our same guild and he eventually turned yellow again.

This change is not a good one- I’m presuming it was intentional, but it’s clearly bugged because of the inconsistency of it. We’ll go to a map and I’ll see him as blue and he sees me as yellow, then we go somewhere else and it’s reversed, or we’re both yellow or both blue, and we have no idea why.

Also, the yellow splotch looks terrible, it’s not even a dot. It’s like someone took the MS Paint dot icon and then smudged it a bit. The blue dot is a clear, easily identifiable indicator while the yellow splotch is just visual noise. But most importantly, the lack of visibility on the minimap is a killer. This is a useful function, denoting which direction to look in for your party member! Yellow Splotch version does not do this and thus is a significant downgrade. Why would you take away a useful part of the UI like that?

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Yeah I noticed it too. I was in party with a friend and the dot was blue. They swapped chars and then their dot became yellow. It wouldn’t matter if I relog, it would always show as yellow (I crashed several times and when I came back it was the same way). I even took a screenshoot to report it on forums (and to show to my friend as my dot was still blue for them).

I also want to point out that it wasn’t a good change (if intended), that yellow dot is harder to spot than the blue one. Not to mention the known fact that it doesn’t show up when out of minimap range.

(edited by shadow.6174)

Posted by: Sinbold.8723

Sinbold.8723

I don’t care WHAT color people in my party show up as, AS LONG AS THEY SHOW UP on the mini map!

Please…. in the future, if it ain’t broke, please don’t try to fix it. And if you break it while trying to fix what ain’t broken, PLEASE just REVERSE what you did.

You tried to change the color of the dot on the minimap if someone is in the same guild, but instead you broke the dot on the minimap so it doesn’t work, and the color is random. GG.

Posted by: Alina Chadwick

Alina Chadwick

Gameplay Programmer

Next

Thank you for the reports.

Edit – To add a bit more: this was not intended to ship yet, and unfortunately the version you got is just before I fixed a number of issues with it (most of them you call out above). You should find this feature to be much more polished in the next release.

(edited by Alina Chadwick.8264)

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

The gold ‘guild member’ dot is an issue though. If you are in party, Why shouldn’t they all be blue dots still? You already know who is in your guild, having some party members in blue and some in gold because they are repping same guild, is just plain odd.

The dot at the edge of the minimap has been buggy at times for longer than we’ve had this gold color for guild members.

Edit: Why is this feature needed? Why should party members show as different colored dots?

(edited by Lunacy Solacio.6514)

Previous

Alina Chadwick

Gameplay Programmer

Next

The gold ‘guild member’ dot is an issue though. If you are in party, Why shouldn’t they all be blue dots still? You already know who is in your guild, having some party members in blue and some in gold because they are repping same guild, is just plain odd.

The dot at the edge of the minimap has been buggy at times for longer than we’ve had this gold color for guild members.

Edit: Why is this feature needed? Why should party members show as different colored dots?

Party members should not show in gold, they should always show in blue. Guild members that are not in your party should show in gold. The fact that this is working otherwise currently is a bug.

This feature, when working properly, allows you to see your guild members on the world map without the need to be in a party with them.

(edited by Alina Chadwick.8264)

Lunacy Solacio.6514

Ok, that makes more sense on how it should work, and clarifies that. Will look forward to it working that way. Will make wvw much nicer, especially with the flaws in the squadui.

Thank you for the response!

Posted by: GeminiArcher.7809

GeminiArcher.7809

Thanks for the response, Seth. I hope this upcoming feature will have a toggle option, as I imagine people in guilds with 500 members might not want their maps to be obliterated by yellow dots.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Party members should not show in gold, they should always show in blue. Guild members that are not in your party should show in gold. The fact that this is working otherwise currently is a bug.

This feature, when working properly, allows you to see your guild members on the world map without the need to be in a party with them.

Is this something that we’ll be able to toggle off?
Being part of a big guild, Teq will look really cluttered with a whole bunch of yellow dot around a commander tag.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Previous

Alina Chadwick

Gameplay Programmer

How large is the radius on the visible gold dots when working as intended? Will I be able to stand at EB spawn and see gold dots in enemy keeps?

Just like with party members you can see the gold dots anywhere in the world. The rate as which the position updates is much lower for players not in the same map as you (which is also how party dots work currently).

Thanks for the response, Seth. I hope this upcoming feature will have a toggle option, as I imagine people in guilds with 500 members might not want their maps to be obliterated by yellow dots.

Being part of a big guild, Teq will look really cluttered with a whole bunch of yellow dot around a commander tag.

Good feedback, thanks.

Lunacy Solacio.6514

How large is the radius on the visible gold dots when working as intended? Will I be able to stand at EB spawn and see gold dots in enemy keeps?

Just like with party members you can see the gold dots anywhere in the world. The rate as which the position updates is much lower for players not in the same map as you (which is also how party dots work currently).

Good feedback, thanks.

I tend to not consider how things will affect larger guilds because things (usually, not always) benefit them already, but that is a very good point. That clutter x.x . Besides, i’m always for having more control and choice, would have to agree having the choice to toggle that would be a good thing. Now, if only could actually toggle the story ui off…

Posted by: fictitiousacct.1782

fictitiousacct.1782

I tend to not consider how things will affect larger guilds because things (usually, not always) benefit them already, but that is a very good point. That clutter x.x . Besides, i’m always for having more control and choice, would have to agree having the choice to toggle that would be a good thing. Now, if only could actually toggle the story ui off…

Well realistically, the amount of dots you’d see max is something close to the map cap of 149 dots or so. Depending on the size and color of the people, it may be an ugly blob on the map when you’re gathering up for say guild missions or any event really.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Is there any update on this? It appears that guildies in the party still appear as yellow rather than blue, and still disappear if not in range of the minimap.