Guild Wars 2 is eating my internet

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

So I’ve got no problem with my connectivity anywhere else. My net is working 100% fine. But when I start playing GW2, after 10-15 minutes, lag starts to build up (skill lag, delay on chat, delay on interacting) and eventually I disconnect. Then for a few minutes after that, everything else on my system (teamspeak, skype, chrome, etc) starts having trouble connecting. A few minutes after that, everything goes back to normal…until I try to play GW2 again.

I was thinking maybe my connection is just weak right now (it fluctuates), and perhaps GW2 was putting too much strain on my connection. However, I’ve been hearing similar stories from other people both in game and on the forums. It’s been happening all week. Is this just a bunch of coincidences and my ISP is at fault, or is GW2 doing something to overload everyone’s connections?

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

GW2 doesn’t take up much bandwidth; other programs usually tie up your connection much more, including (sometimes) browsers with certain plug-ins, anti-malware, etc.

Given how many people play the game, there will always be people complaining on the forums about lag/latency, so the presence of such posts isn’t really evidence one way or another that the game is at fault: when the game/ANet are functioning perfectly, there will be complaints; when the game/ANet have unstable connections, there will be people who don’t notice.

You might be seeing a ‘canary in the coal mine effect’ — GW2 might be more dependent on having a stable connection, so it fails first. Try the tech forum here for some ideas on how to run some diagnostics (on the game and generally) and include what you find out in a support ticket.

tl;dr could be the game, could be your home network, could be your ISP — you’ll need to do some investigating to find out for sure.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

So I’ve got no problem with my connectivity anywhere else. My net is working 100% fine. But when I start playing GW2, after 10-15 minutes, lag starts to build up (skill lag, delay on chat, delay on interacting) and eventually I disconnect. Then for a few minutes after that, everything else on my system (teamspeak, skype, chrome, etc) starts having trouble connecting. A few minutes after that, everything goes back to normal…until I try to play GW2 again.

I was thinking maybe my connection is just weak right now (it fluctuates), and perhaps GW2 was putting too much strain on my connection. However, I’ve been hearing similar stories from other people both in game and on the forums. It’s been happening all week. Is this just a bunch of coincidences and my ISP is at fault, or is GW2 doing something to overload everyone’s connections?

GW2 is not the problem per se. What is at issue is the bandwidth allowed up and down to the servers that we all need to keep our databases straight and do all the calculations.

If you understand bandwidth and then you understand databases, then you will come to the conclusion, rightly, that no other game on Earth, no other application or combination of applications or streaming make a fast, megaspeed computers with ssd’s come to a screeching halt.

I have more slo-mo pics than I’ve ever had to screenshot before and I’ve seen games losing major populations for less.

It’s not on the end user’s side.

This is all a problem of a conversion from data to transmission to retrieval and conversion just like any other program that must depend on an online feed – and we are always “on” when we are connected to the game – the servers might be fast enough, they may have enough capacity, they may have much but they do not have enough bandwidth either up or down or both.

Yes, I am a computer professional. So are many other gamers. We’re not being fooled by other games working as intended but this one comes to a screeching halt when a map is slightly congested – even as few as ten-fifteen.

Please, widen the pipes whereever the clogged and artificial bottleneck that has nothing to do with most people’s computers.

Players can only do so much, the rest is all on the servers and the bandwidth allocation.

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

(edited by atheria.2837)

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

Thanks for the responses, guys! I’m going to wait it out a few more days, then start doing some investigation if the problem doesn’t fix itself.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

maybe someone on your friendslist is ddosing you? when they see you online, they ddos?