HoT Crash Issues - Possible Fix

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Acheron.5193

Acheron.5193

So I’ve been crashing left and right in LA, VB and pretty much anywhere except for PvP.
In VB after every event, in LA when I just run around.

Annoying, frustrating.

Error message is an OOM (Out Of Memory): Heap (you can check when you click on more details on your crash report). Means the game doesn’t have enough RAM to work with.

Now, can you please post here if you’re experiencing this, and answer this: Are you running 32bit or 64bit?

If, like me, you’re running 32bit that might be the issue as 32bit can only use (2.9?g) a certain amount of memory, and the game is basically closing down due to lack of available memory.

Possible fix (this is why I let my GF look for stuff!), this was somewhere on reddit from last year:

On win7.
Start
Control panel
System
On the left hand side Advanced system settings.
Make sure you are on the advanced tab in the pop up window.
Under performance click settings.
Click the advanced tab.
At the middle bottom Virtual memory, click change.
At the top place click on or place a check mark in the box for. "Let windows manage page file for all drives.
Exit out of all windows and reboot.

Now, this didn’t work for me as mine was already ticked, but it worked for the guy on reddit and hopefully for some of you as well. So I’m going to go and install the 64bit version now and see if it helps. I’ll let you guys know. Fingers crossed.

Posted by: Nessa Alcare.7015

Nessa Alcare.7015

I know it’s terrible that i’m trying to run this on a Vista 32bit, but thing is before the update my game would run fine on the minimal settings and since the update it’s OOM crash errors within mere minutes of logging in.

Ditto on the annoying and frustrating.

Posted by: Retsuko.2035

Retsuko.2035

The tab was already turned on for me. But apparently my max virtual memory was set to 3600 or so while having 4gb ram memory. And advised is to put 1,5x the amount of ram you have. So i turned the tab of and set the min and max to 6800 instead. We’ll see if that works.

Also got another reply from support ticket back, and sadly their only solution is to make you buy windows and do an entire clean installation of your computer. Even though they admit it’s their own client’s fault.

“I looked further into this and found that Heart of Thorns is currently having compatibility issues with 32-bit systems.The best thing you are able to do right now is upgrade to a 64-bit Operating System. Once that is done, the problems should be gone.”

And what I don’t understand either is that their min requirements to play the game says you need at least 2gb of memory, why does it use so much more to play it? Sorry if I’m clueless on how it exactly works.

Retsu ~ Inner Monkey [IM] ~ Piken Square

Posted by: KhanRKerensky.5682

KhanRKerensky.5682

Changing any virtual memory setting should pretty much do nothing. Memory management is transparent to the game and it doesnt matter if the memory used by the game is in RAM or paged out. Performance will suffer though if Windows has to page in memory from your HDD/SSD.

In theory you could actually run out of RAM while playing. Like with a disabled page file and 4GiB of ram on your machine. Thats not the case here though. At least not for me. I got 32GiB of RAM in my rig and most of it is in standby.

Whats going on here is an address space issue. The game is only a 32bit process so it can only address 4GiB at maximum. With a 32bit Windows this is reduced to about 3GiB (depends a bit on the settings). Switching from a 32bit to a 64bit Windows will give the game a bit more room to work with so that is recommended ofc. I dont really know why ppl are still running a 32bit Windows tbh. But even on a 64bit Windows it will crash! I got two OOMs yesterday and then started to look at the virtual size (NOT the working set aka. memory usage). I had to restart the game during Taidha, which was the start of my world boss tour, and when I reached Claw the working set was up to roughly 3GB and the virtual size was at 3.89 or so. Not long after that the game crashed again. The game is just running too close to the 32bit border.

With a 64bit client you could use up to 8TiB, so its practically impossible to run into these kinds of issues. But its not, so they have to do some (further) optimizations to stay below that silly 4GiB border. As much as I would like the game to be 64bit and use all the memory it needs (I would have no problem with it going to 16GiB or so :P) I would settle for not crashing.

Acheron.5193

Changing any virtual memory setting should pretty much do nothing. Memory management is transparent to the game and it doesnt matter if the memory used by the game is in RAM or paged out. Performance will suffer though if Windows has to page in memory from your HDD/SSD.

In theory you could actually run out of RAM while playing. Like with a disabled page file and 4GiB of ram on your machine. Thats not the case here though. At least not for me. I got 32GiB of RAM in my rig and most of it is in standby.

Whats going on here is an address space issue. The game is only a 32bit process so it can only address 4GiB at maximum. With a 32bit Windows this is reduced to about 3GiB (depends a bit on the settings). Switching from a 32bit to a 64bit Windows will give the game a bit more room to work with so that is recommended ofc. I dont really know why ppl are still running a 32bit Windows tbh. But even on a 64bit Windows it will crash! I got two OOMs yesterday and then started to look at the virtual size (NOT the working set aka. memory usage). I had to restart the game during Taidha, which was the start of my world boss tour, and when I reached Claw the working set was up to roughly 3GB and the virtual size was at 3.89 or so. Not long after that the game crashed again. The game is just running too close to the 32bit border.

With a 64bit client you could use up to 8TiB, so its practically impossible to run into these kinds of issues. But its not, so they have to do some (further) optimizations to stay below that silly 4GiB border. As much as I would like the game to be 64bit and use all the memory it needs (I would have no problem with it going to 16GiB or so :P) I would settle for not crashing.

We’re all aware that even hi-end machines running 64bit crash, the point here is that 32bit clients (at least the ones posting on the forums) are crashing every other minute.

Posted by: KhanRKerensky.5682

KhanRKerensky.5682

Well, its gotten worse on 64bit machines too. The supports answer (“The best thing you are able to do right now is upgrade to a 64-bit Operating System. Once that is done, the problems should be gone.”) just delays the problem and doesnt fix it.

My point was more, that the players cant do anything about it other than reducing detail. Disabling the high res textures in the options seem to help a bit (I havent done a lot of testing with it though). The Windows 7 (and above) memory management is pretty good. No need to fiddle around with virtual memory settings, unless you crippled it by trying to disable it in the past. There is nothing you can do about it.

The client needs a fix and/or a 64bit version. Trying to sit this out wont work for anet.

Acheron.5193

Installed 64bit, works like a charm.

Posted by: LittleOlive.3072

LittleOlive.3072

Running 64 and have been crashing every hour or two, during events, usually. My machine is more than adequate. So frustrating.

Will change some of my texture settings and see if there is an improvement. I am running everything pretty high. Thanks for the thread and helpful comments.

Guild Leader, Hands of Divinity
Sea of Sorrows

Posted by: Dagrin the Ethereal.8371

Dagrin the Ethereal.8371

Well, its gotten worse on 64bit machines too. The supports answer (“The best thing you are able to do right now is upgrade to a 64-bit Operating System. Once that is done, the problems should be gone.”) just delays the problem and doesnt fix it.

My point was more, that the players cant do anything about it other than reducing detail. Disabling the high res textures in the options seem to help a bit (I havent done a lot of testing with it though). The Windows 7 (and above) memory management is pretty good. No need to fiddle around with virtual memory settings, unless you crippled it by trying to disable it in the past. There is nothing you can do about it.

The client needs a fix and/or a 64bit version. Trying to sit this out wont work for anet.

I’ve been on a 64 Bit install and mine still crashed constantly. Sometimes when trying to zone, sometimes when just running through a zone or Halloween event. Within two hours last night (post patch) I crashed no less than 10 times.

Dagrin – Master of the downed state

Posted by: ekkue.3754

ekkue.3754

Same, I am also 64 bit, running high settings. Before the HoT patch all was fine and dandy, now OOM errors constantly.

Yesterday i had 9 crashes, today (so far) in about 2 and a half hours of play i have had 2.

I reduced my settings but has not helped, and frankly even if it did, when my machine is perfectly capable of running high, lowering it is not an acceptable solution.

Posted by: zolcor.2601

zolcor.2601

I’m crashing a lot too. It often happens when I use a waypoint and sometimes when I simply do nothing.