How can every update break so much?

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

It’s quite a serious question… What’s up with this?

I just don’t understand it, every patch comes, there’s a havoc somewhere on several game systems that will, or break, or stop behaving correctly.

The 8th patch made me specially frustrated because during the Patch, i was doing Living Story, the last collection item, and one Update Arrives…

…How dumb i was restarting GW2 to update it, after the Update, the LS is now broken, and still not fixed on yesterday’s patch. So resuming, no player can complete LS, that’s not a small issue, now is it?

The hopes of Tyria now is that they at least acknowledge and add the bug to the issue tracker, attm, no matter the hundreds of reports on this, we get silence from their side.

Okay i’m done now, as i can’t play the because it’s broken, at least i can complain on the forum about their abominations of game updates.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

(edited by Max Lexandre.6279)

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

Think, “Whack-a-mole at the funny farm”.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: Andulias.9516

Andulias.9516

Because:

http://i.imgur.com/t0XHtgJ.gif

#OnlyThoseWhoWriteCodeKnow

Especially in a game as large as this you could never really test EVERYTHING to make sure that nothing would break after you implement any sort of change. Not to mention, that Anet IMO have a pretty good track record in this regard. Just chill out and be patient, there’s plenty of other content you could play. Actually I wasn’t aware of this, will check this evening if it also doesn’t work for me.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I found a visualisation of your question:
http://cliparts.co/cliparts/pT7/KGM/pT7KGMgT9.png

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Gator.5729

Gator.5729

Because:

Especially in a game as large as this you could never really test EVERYTHING to make sure that nothing would break after you implement any sort of change. Not to mention, that Anet IMO have a pretty good track record in this regard. Just chill out and be patient, there’s plenty of other content you could play. Actually I wasn’t aware of this, will check this evening if it also doesn’t work for me.

To add to what you said, when Anet makes tweaks to the game to improve performance (memory usage, sound, graphics and such), there is absolutely no way for them to test the stability on our computers. There are hundreds or thousands of variations in the PC market. It would be impossible for them to test every combination of component/driver. So while you computer ran fine before the patch and not afterwards is an issue that you just need to work through. Support can help those people if they take the time to submit tickets and be patient.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t know if it will make you feel any better, but this isn’t at all unusual for any software. People have offered a lot of explanations as to why GW2 can break, including so-called spaghetti code, the diversity of computers hardware|drivers|OS versions, and so on. Some people blame QA, some blame coders.

The short story is simply that any system as complex as any MMO will offer lots of opportunities for unexpected interactions between this bit and that bit and no human has figured out how to prevent stuff from breaking in the live system.

It happens with financial industry client and in-house software, stuff that we expect to be 110%™ correct. It happens to Microsoft & Google (and don’t get anyone started on Firefox). Some have argued that GW2 beats the standard for MMOs (although I think it’s difficult to establish what that standard is; the only thing we can say for sure is that GW2 has remarkably little downtime affecting everyone).

To be sure, there are best practices and tools that will help reduce certain types of errors. And there’s some evidence to suggest that ANet isn’t taking advantage of them all. (e.g. there are times when a supposed fix doesn’t work in all the known use-cases, suggesting it wasn’t properly tested.) However, it’s unfair to expect that stuff won’t break with each patch, including both major and minor issues.

tl;dr software is more complicated than it appears to players; stuff is going to break — ANet might be able to do better, but they won’t be able to do tons better.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Because:

Lol, loved that. And good point yes.