How do I reset a main story quest?

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

Q:

I play a Mesmer. The staff # 2 ability, phase retreat, has often put me in trouble, by blinking me into an area where I can’t get out.

Well, now my main storyline was kinda ruined. Let’s just say that I was inside a cave, and while trying to get out, even doing the /stuck thing, my NPC… Companions, cleared the entire cave and progressed the story without me being able to experience what was going on.

I’ve thus missed out on a form of climax to the current main storyline. I couldn’t exit through any portals, so I just logged out and hope that I’ll log in later to a reset instance of the quest, or that I’ll somehow be able to leave the area and do it from scratch.

I tried to google for a command in order to force the game to reset the quest, but there doesn’t seem to be one. Or at least, I haven’t been able to find one.

Any insight?

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

A:

Unless/until you get the “exit instance” button to appear over the mini-map, leaving the instance for the main world should clear and “reset” the mission/quest instance.

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

I’m not entirely sure I understand the situation… If you completed the story step, that’s it, no going back. If you didn’t complete it, logging out will reset the story instance.

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

An NPC cleared monsters in a cave during the personal story line?!

Now that’s news worthy because those npcs are usually no better than cannon fodder, might be a bug with over powered npcs.

All joking aside, there’s nothing you can do if the story was completed without you. You’ll have to make a new character to experience that particular part of the story if you wish to view it, or check on youtube for someone who recorded that particular mission.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

Posted by: Malice.8439

Malice.8439

Logging out and logging back in at a later date did indeed solve the issue, as I didn’t complete the entire quest. I’ve learned to never use Mesmer staves in caverns anymore, or houses, or places with walls, or places with rooftops.

If anyone wonders, the quest in question was the one where you have to protect the Order of Whispers' chantry from Zhaitan's minions'.

All warfare is based on deception.
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you get trapped in an instance, use the /stuck command. Not only will it auto-record your position and report the glitch, but (as long as you don’t do anything for 30 seconds), it will move you to safe area, where you can rejoin the story without restarting.

(This happened to my mesmer over a dozen times, before they fixed the ground over watery areas — phase retreat or other teleports put me in non-toon’s land, in between land and sea.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

I’ve never seen where /stuck works in any way.