Inactivity timer

Inactivity timer

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: GuildWarsChamp.5302

GuildWarsChamp.5302

Just wanted to report that the inactivity timer, the time in which you get kicked to “character select” screen because of no movement/action, is not working at all right now.

Just wondering if its just me that’s experiencing this… I was on Guild Wars late in the night when I step away from the computer for a sec and wake up 2-4 hours later with my character still on the map and not kicked to character select. I figured it was something that caused me to move or something that kept me in game the whole time, but then it happened the next night too…

In any case, I thought it should be put out there and discussed at least. Maybe I’m the only one experiencing this?

Balthazar Almighty
Representing: [ZoS] Zealots of Shiverpeak -Main guild on NSP
Leader of [TZ] Raiders of the Lost Temples -Temple Zerg

Inactivity timer

Posted by: stephanie wise.7841

stephanie wise.7841

that is a very good news. means we can go take a drink or use the bathroom with out the game closing. never liked to much that inactivity timer any way.

in guild wars 1 there was none. you could play the festival ring game all weekend. just leave the character on the choose ring. and the game would play all weekend long.

in gw2 I find that inactivity timer very bothering. you need to go to bathroom or take a drink etc.. you come back and you are out on the character screen. not enough that some time you crash and need to come back in you also have the inactivity timer working against you.

if it does not work, good at least we can go and come back with out worry to be on the character screen and have to log on once we are back.

Inactivity timer

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Hmm, as far as I can tell there is not an inactivity timer except within activities or PvP/WvW and I believe they exist there to prevent camping/cheating. If you mean it’s not working in some of these places, then we have an issue. If you mean in regular PvE, well I have never seen a inactivity timer there, I even went afk for more than 30 mins and the game didn’t boot me out.

Inactivity timer

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There is supposed to be an inactivity (no input from keyboard) timer of 60 minutes in PvE to prevent AFK farming, I believe.

Inactivity timer

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There is supposed to be an inactivity (no input from keyboard) timer of 60 minutes in PvE to prevent AFK farming, I believe.

I don’t think it’s a fixed timer. I think it’s like DR, in that there are various locations where it’s longer (perhaps cities) and others where it’s shorter (HoT maps maybe). Plus you might get kicked if a map closes if you’re AFK, which might have nothing to do with the timer.

The principles are likely (and in no particular order):

• Discourage or reduce or prevent AFK farming
  • Reduce stress on the servers
  • Encourage active play
  • Forgotten mechanics
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Inactivity timer

Posted by: GuildWarsChamp.5302

GuildWarsChamp.5302

I don’t think it’s a fixed timer. I think it’s like DR, in that there are various locations where it’s longer (perhaps cities) and others where it’s shorter (HoT maps maybe). Plus you might get kicked if a map closes if you’re AFK, which might have nothing to do with the timer.

The principles are likely (and in no particular order):

• Discourage or reduce or prevent AFK farming
  • Reduce stress on the servers
  • Encourage active play
  • Forgotten mechanics

I always believed the PvE timer was 60 mins as well. I time out alot in PvE and that’s the normal rate for any map I’ve been on. Anyway, when I mentioned timing out recently… it was maps like Straits of Devastation and Auric Basin that were up to 4 hours afk and my character was still active on the map. This could be abused in some way, so that’s why I reported it.

By the way, I haven’t experienced issues in other gamemodes like WvW… the inactivity timer is working fine, which leads me to question whether this was an intended change or not.

Balthazar Almighty
Representing: [ZoS] Zealots of Shiverpeak -Main guild on NSP
Leader of [TZ] Raiders of the Lost Temples -Temple Zerg

(edited by GuildWarsChamp.5302)