Invulnerable! Invulnerable! Invulnerable!

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Does anyone else get this really often for stupid reasons? Standing on a slope, an NPC will just decide it can’t hit me (even though it has) and go invulnerable. Knocking one back with a skill can even do it, or shooting it where it can’t get to you even though it’s ranged and another one of the same kind just attacked you from there. Then there’s the ones that do it just cause screw you, they feel like it. Or they’re losing a fight, reset to their stupidly close starting point, and run back to you because surprise! it’s not even far away enough to leave combat.

I really despise this mechanic.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

very rarely, certainly not often enough to waste even the slightest thought on it, though it is a quirky mechanic, that´s for sure.

Posted by: Lady Mimic.3247

Lady Mimic.3247

Yeah I have had that sometimes where I am attacking then all of a sudden they would go invulnerable then walk off. Then suddenly come back to attack again! I reckon those enemies are resorting to cheating methods now because they are fed up of dying xD

But in seriousness it hasn’t happened enough to be considered a bug, just goes a bit weird sometimes

Posted by: exphryl.3857

exphryl.3857

This alone makes me hate underwater combat 99.9% of the time.

I feel trolled at times.

Get the veteran mob underwater down to 5%, “lol nope! Invuln”.

:(

Posted by: Clem.2963

Clem.2963

Run into this multiple times a day.

I really wish this mechanic was removed until it is fixed, I’m sick of having to take 150%+ off something because of a stupid and broken mechanic like this.

Posted by: VakarisJ.5619

VakarisJ.5619

Try using condition attacks – they pass through the invulnerability, or at least act during it if placed beforehand. They stop the health regen too.

Clem.2963

I feel trolled at times.

Myself and another person had a champ shark under 25% HP when is suddenly went invulnerable and healed to full HP.

kitten that… Walked away.

Posted by: Ravenblade.7685

Ravenblade.7685

I feel trolled at times.

Myself and another person had a champ shark under 25% HP when is suddenly went invulnerable and healed to full HP.

Let me guess it was a follow-up on that Inquest champion? I’ve had this as well. I was about to rant over yet another broken even when after like 45s I suddenly got the credit for it.

Siqqa, Asura Engineer

When I’m playing WvW I’m really playing LSD.

Algreg.3629

yeah, underwater it IS actually a pain, there is some z-axis-work to be done

Clem.2963

I feel trolled at times.

Let me guess it was a follow-up on that Inquest champion? I’ve had this as well. I was about to rant over yet another broken even when after like 45s I suddenly got the credit for it.

Was in Branded area and was the last part of a dynamic event (not last event in the chain, but last part of the single event), so after spending a fair bit of time doing the event and then a HELL of a lot of time fighting this shark with just one other player, I got nothing…

Posted by: Hellmood.2097

Hellmood.2097

You’re all like “man, I got the high ground, gonna rain death on that charlie”. But Arenanet doesn’t seem to like people using the terrain to their advantage.

Algreg.3629

@Hellmood – yes, it sucks you cannot use the terrain as your weapon very well, but I think that is also due to AI limits. The monsters are actively chasing you even while climbing steps, trees and the like, but once they have to move around large objects to get to you, they reach their area of action limit. I don´t know if such restrictions are still needed today to reduce lag and what not, but understanding that makes it easier to avoid the dreaded “invulnerable!”.

Clem.2963

You’re all like “man, I got the high ground, gonna rain death on that charlie”. But Arenanet doesn’t seem to like people using the terrain to their advantage.

More often than not, it’s not like that.

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

I get these in underwater combat if anything else like ALL THE TIME.
The monster goes invun out of no where even when he’s like 5 seconds to defeat.

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

Posted by: binidj.5734

binidj.5734

This should probably be moved to the bugs forum.

That being said, YES, I get this in a ridiculous proportion of underwater fights … seems to be more frequent with sharks for some reason, hardly ever happens with humanoid targets … maybe that’s just me though. Regardless, it happens when I am comfortably hitting with melee attacks, there is clearly no genuine pathing issue at all.

When it happens on dry land, I can usually tell beforehand that an attack won’t work but give it a go anyway just on the offchance (usually I do this when I can see a clear path but it will take the mob ages to navigate it) that it will; rarely mobs do bug out with invulnerability for no reason but it is rare enough on dry land for it not to be an issue.

Glad to be [Grey] – http://thegrey.enjin.com/home
Piken Square

Posted by: Ravenblade.7685

Ravenblade.7685

yeah, underwater it IS actually a pain, there is some z-axis-work to be done:)

Hmm, I think it’s rather Y-axis as computer graphics in games and some applications base their system off a XZ plane aligned to camera FOV thus Y is up and down. Just saying. :p

Siqqa, Asura Engineer

When I’m playing WvW I’m really playing LSD.

Algreg.3629

yeah, underwater it IS actually a pain, there is some z-axis-work to be done:)

Hmm, I think it’s rather Y-axis as computer graphics in games and some applications base their system off a XZ plane aligned to camera FOV thus Y is up and down. Just saying. :p

project appropriate axis-work

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

I get it a lot, when using underwater melee weapons. Ranged weapons, not so much.

Posted by: Pong.7934

Pong.7934

I see that pretty often and yes it’s very annoying.

Sorrow’s Furnace ~ Gielinor ~ Gullwings ~ Proudmoore ~ Forcelia ~ Cinna

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

Well, other MMOs have had similar problems with mobs as they get pushed into slopes or walls. That part I think the players have to recognize and reposition, because that problem’s not unique to GW2.

The random invulnerables in water though are infuriating and happen entirely too often.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

LOTRO had the same problems with pathing issues for mobs. If it decided the mob couldn’t reach you it would get a little spinning question mark icon over it’s head and walk off in a huff. Even used to trigger if there was water between you and the mob even though the mob was perfectly capable of moving through water. Took them years to get that down to an acceptable level. They could have done it instantly if they’d disabled the stupid mechanism but, apparently, stopping people gaining something insignificant for little risk was more important than not breaking the game.

I wouldn’t mind so much if combat ended when the mobs go invulnerable but while they go off to heal up, we’re left there with whatever health we had when they went invulnerable.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Posted by: Rick.1378

Rick.1378

This is a huge issue underwater, happens all the time.

Posted by: Moderator.6574

Moderator.6574

Thread moved from Discussions to Game Bugs

Posted by: Tigress Dragonblade.3296

Tigress Dragonblade.3296

Yet they LET you do that in Guild Wars 1! You would get bonus damage with a bow if you shot from higher ground.

Posted by: VendettaDFA.9368

VendettaDFA.9368

AGREED 100%. More often underwater than above. If you inflict damage , invulnerable should go away unless it is a mob skill, and not just that the shark decided to swim the other way for 5 seconds while you blow all your attacks and have to wait for CD because you at least were under the impression there was a fight going on.

(edited by VendettaDFA.9368)

Posted by: hoschi.8693

hoschi.8693

The most annoying thing is that the mob will heal up in the meantime, while you stay in combat and don’t heal back up. The mob then, after the half-reset, comes back and often with friends..

While it happens on land, too, I usually see it happen under water quite often

Saint of Destruction of the Holy Church of Jedsus Chris of Saturday Feints
Strike Force [SF]

Posted by: MilConDoin.3420

MilConDoin.3420

The very least which could be done to lessen the impact of the problem: If everyone you’re currently in fight with becomes invulnerable, you get out of the fight.
This would also clear one problem I had in some jumping puzzles: I’m in fight, but don’t know with which enemy. And since I’m in fight, my movement is slowed, so all tightly tuned jumps will fail.

Posted by: Yawg.1294

Yawg.1294

This is super annoying and happens quite often. It was way worse in betas but problem wasn’t completely fixed. And fix is simple – just remove the part of code that turns enemies invulnerable when they decide they don’t want to fight anymore. Even if it occasionally meant an easy kill it would be way healthier for the game experience as a whole.

Posted by: hoschi.8693

hoschi.8693

I dont think it’s that easy to fix.

Following your solution, you’d be able to stand on a rock that the mob’s can’t get to and kill them without ever being hit. While it’s nice and works in other game, I’m quite happy to see that his is NOT desired behaviour in GW2.

That fix will be a bit more difficult

Saint of Destruction of the Holy Church of Jedsus Chris of Saturday Feints
Strike Force [SF]

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

very rarely, certainly not often enough to waste even the slightest thought on it, though it is a quirky mechanic, that´s for sure.

I guess you are lucky, it happens multiple times everytime I play.

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

This is one of the most annoying issues in underwater combat. It has nothing to do with leashing, nor blocking items, or anything other the x,y,z axis issues. You can be melee fighting something and then all of a sudden it just goes invulnerable. Moments later after it’s healed up it will come back. This is simply annoying when solo fighting but when group fighting it’s deadly.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Funny thing is that they claim you should be using terrain to your advantage (blocking ranged attacks and so on)…

Posted by: GreyMouser.1235

GreyMouser.1235

Personally, I think the Invulnerable flag just needs to go. It doesn’t add anything to the game, other than pain. In its current state, it is more trouble than it’s worth, doesn’t work right, and doesn’t fix anything that needed fixing. Moreover, (especially underwater,) it’s a common occurrence for a given mob to go invulnerable, while still pounding on you.

Leashing is all well and good, but just because a mob is retreating doesn’t mean it should get to be invulnerable to attacks. It just goes counter to so many of the other design philosophies Arenanet espouses with this game.

[SOF]
Servants of Fortuna
Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Antiriad.7160

Antiriad.7160

underwater, killing a krait.. all of a sudden “invulnerable” → swims back and heals full, for absolutely no apparent reason.
Tends to happen when using the lightning cage and/or float skill (water attunement) I think.

Colin ‘The Liar’ Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on equal power base.”

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

Using the terrain to your advantage is one thing. Getting somewhere the mobs can’t path to so that you can exploit them is another.

I agree that this happens much more often than it should, but you have to understand where it comes from. Players can jump to crazy places and have decent range in this game. An excellent combination for exploiting.

They’ll get to fixing it slowly. I’d rather them err on the safe side than go through fixing each individual area that ranged players can jump to and effortlessly spam death on respawn all day long. That’s just lame…

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

I absolutely hate this game mechanic. It is a daily irritant, If they do not allow ME to be invulnerable if I am up the hill, or on a slope or at the top of the water, then why do the mobs get to KILL me while they are invulnerable in these areas? Remove it. now.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

Posted by: Vegas.5790

Vegas.5790

Yeah, this is a pain. So what if a player uses terrain to his advantage? It’s more of a NPC exploit to go invulnerable for as often as it happens. No invulnerable for me, none for the NPC either.

Posted by: zbrkesbr.4173

zbrkesbr.4173

i hate when this invul blocks you from starting combat at all and rendering some of traits useless: all 50% fall damage + some effect traits because half of the time when you jump on mob from above – they go invuln.

War doesn’t determine who is right, only who is left.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

This thread should probably be split in two. There are multiple issues here although they look similar.

1) Player attacking monster where they are unreachable by the monster because monsters can’t jump.

2) Player attacking monster where they are unreachable but the monster can still attack using their own ranged.

3) Player attacking monster in melee range.

It makes sense for 1) since otherwise it results in some pretty ‘lame’ stuff as others have pointed out. On the other hand it would be better if the monster simply ran out of range in that case. This might enable players to herd certain monster into a certain direction but that seems okay as a tactic.

2) and 3) should never trigger invulnerable since both sides are pretty much fighting on equal terms.

One “easy fix” would be to make it so that either neither side can attack or both can attack. This means that the current invulnerable state remains BUT if the monster decides to turn around and attack the invulnerability state should immediately disappear.

This leaves the issue of regenerating health. This one is a bit more tricky but same general principal should apply. If the monster gets to be out of combat and acquire the out of combat regen then the player should be considered out of combat as well.

Obviously a situation where there are multiple monsters and/or players will require more consideration.

Posted by: BradKing.3409

BradKing.3409

As a ranger I obviously get this a lot and it is very annoying, sometimes caused by my pet, sometimes due to terrain height differences…

Posted by: Melana.8345

Melana.8345

This thread probably needs to be merged across:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Mobs-Reset-Mobs-Take-No-Damage-Downed-State-Skills-Cause-No-Damage-etc/first

I’m seeing this happen on average at least once every 5 minute or so – it’s getting extremely frustrating.

Despaired Ranger: Crafted The Dreamer, lost range, lost GS condi damage for synergy.
Pet AI awful. Sword root+Aussie latency unmanagable. Lost playstyle, lost legendary, given up.
Mell: 80 Asura Guardian (+7 other 80s) | Aus Serenity [AUS] | Jade Quarry

Posted by: Lori.6571

Lori.6571

On land, I get this occasionally but not enough for it to be annoying. In water it’s a completely different story…it happens all the time (maybe 1 in 5 fights a mobs will go invulnerable for at least a short while).

One thing that seems to be virtually guaranteed to mess things up is any cc-type weapon skill that anchors a mobs (forces it to sink) or floats it (forces it to rise). I wonder is activating this skill is somehow triggering an AI logic error for mobs…they try to path during the anchor/float effect, can’t do so (because of the CC) and that triggers their “I should be immune because I can’t path there” response?

It’s to the point where I now never use an anchor/float skill on a weapon that has it, no matter how much I might want to at times.

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

1) Player attacking monster where they are unreachable by the monster because monsters can’t jump.

Obviously a situation where there are multiple monsters and/or players will require more consideration.

This is one of the more annoying ones: a critter is fighting someone else, doesn’t even care about you, but if you shoot it from where it couldn’t get if it changed its mind, it goes invulnerable. Say you run up onto a tent or over a rock because it was blocking you (like when the other guy is kiting it, because it can’t take its eyes off him as long as he lives).

Or even you just feel like helping out some NPC/player from a wall during one of those invasion type events. They put all this stuff in place and you don’t get to use it, even when the NPC still has somebody to fight? Sad.

At least siege weapons and turrets in the PVE world (usually) work now. It was hilarious when you go to use the big base defence cannon to do the only thing it can do, and it achieves nothing.

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

I get it a lot, when using underwater melee weapons. Ranged weapons, not so much.

Further “testing” has lead me to think this was a bit off. Its not a matter of which weapon I use, but just whether I’m in melee range. It happens if I stand still, in melee range, whatever weapon type I’m using.

I think it has to do with the mob being so close, but still unable to hit, due to being slightly above or below me. It can’t figure out how to path any closer, since its already practically on top of me, so it goes invulnerable.

Ironically, its just the opposite of kiting. If you I try to kite, or at least keep moving, it seems to happen less.

Posted by: StormcrowX.9236

StormcrowX.9236

I agree that this invuln thing needs to go. There is no good reason for red mobs to go invuln unless it is the effect of a skill.

You know what really kills me..? once i stood on a cliff and tried to nuke some risen below me, but they were invuln and took no dmg.

….then a zombie pulled me off the cliff.

You are not one of their “most dedicated players”. Don’t worry, neither am I apparently.
-NaughtyProwler.8653

Posted by: Phidaissi.5160

Phidaissi.5160

It should be noted that conditions do not prevent mobs from healing.

As a thief if I want to use stealth attacks I can’t stay stealthed more and a couple seconds or ALL the mobs start out of combat regeneration. Even though they have stacks of conditions.

Half the time they’ll go invulnerable as well, just to really make my day.

These mechanics are broken for PvE.

Phireya – Stealthy SoViet Goddess
Swords of Villanousity [SoV] :: Sea of Sorrows
www.villanousity.com

Posted by: helladoom.4317

helladoom.4317

Point is it also happens a lot when not using a terrain advantage.

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

This happens to me all the time when attacking something from a cliff, especially on my Mesmer.

I also once had it when underwater, I would attack him at his spawn point, and tank (i.e. didn’t move at all). And he became invulnerable and reset. Very frustrating.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

It isn’t rare. It’s the most common bug in game really. You can make it happen reliably.

Especially underwater.

Especially in Orr.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

Posted by: Opt.3714

Opt.3714

You’re completely wrong—I hit this on a daily basis at minimum. With world PvE trash mobs it’s just sort of annoying, but it can be devastating if an event/dungeon boss gets reset and you lose a bunch of progress.

http://opt.red/about Twitter: http://twitter.com/Opt__
Co-Leader, I Can Outtweet A Centaur! [TWIT] #twitguild
IGN: Optimus Maleficus