Is my RNG bugged?

Is my RNG bugged?

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: McMuffinPopper.7841

McMuffinPopper.7841

I have been playing Guild Wars 2 for around 2 years now and I showed the game to girlfriend last september. During my whole gameplay experience in these 2 years, I would maybe get a couple of exotics a week (1 a week in general) and i NEVER got even one ascended drop (as in weapon or armor crates etc. for example Tequatl’s Hoard) even though my friends who used to play this game got like 1 or 2 weapon crates. But I assumed I was just a little bit unlucky.

Since my girlfriend started playing a couple of months ago (in september), she got 5 ascended weapon chests, around 7 ascended rings, and she gets 1 or 2 exotics daily from playing. We always play together so our playing time (these 4-5 months) is around the same.

Is the RNG of my account just broken or bugged something? Because this is absolutely crazy. It’s extremely frustrating to see how a lot of people get in general much better rewards or loot than me even if they started playing just recently and I’ve been playing for years. I think saying ‘’RNG is RNG’’ in this situation sounds kinda ridiculous to me because the difference in loot is just mindblowing to me. What’s going on here?

Is my RNG bugged?

Posted by: Kari.3849

Kari.3849

I know your pain. almost 5k Hours – never droped anything worth more than 25g

Edit: 2 exotic/week = this was a very good week

Is my RNG bugged?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Luck doesn’t care about how long you’ve been playing.

Is the RNG of my account just broken or bugged something? Because this is absolutely crazy.

Just typical; your GF is, however, very lucky.

You didn’t mention what sort of content you were playing all these years or what you guys are doing now. As an example, if someone did mostly dungeons, then they had a tiny number of foe kills and a tiny number of higher-probability events, i.e. almost everything they did was very unlikely to drop a precursor. If their special friend started playing and did things like harathi hinterlands seraph-vs-centaur and HoT meta events, then they had lots and lots of foe kills and somewhat more higher-probability events, i.e. they had better chances at getting a precursor in the first place.

Or outside the game: if the first person place a quarter in each slot machine they passed on the way to work for 3 years, they’d have less chances than their neighbor who sat down for 3 hrs/day for the last month.

It’s extremely frustrating to see how a lot of people get in general much better rewards or loot than me even if they started playing just recently and I’ve been playing for years.

Yes, it can be very frustrating. That’s the biggest downside of using RNG as the basis for distinguishing high-value drops. In HoT, many high-value drops require lots and lost of tokens (or other currencies), which makes people feel as if they need to grind, which is a different sort of frustration. There’s never a good balance for the folks who end up with less shinies.

I think saying ‘’RNG is RNG’’ in this situation sounds kinda ridiculous to me because the difference in loot is just mindblowing to me. What’s going on here?

RNG is RNG. The reason it sounds and feels ridiculous is that we humans have a very poor sense of just how random luck is and just how low the chances of high-value loot are.

I have a friend who has a better understanding than most of RNG and even they felt like they should have gotten “something good” from opening up a stack of wintersday gifts. However, the chances of getting “something good” are only a few percent, so it’s typical for most people to get just the usual from a stack or even from 4+ stacks.

tl;dr if you didn’t have bad luck, you wouldn’t have no luck at all.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Is my RNG bugged?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Wow. One or two Exotics a week? That sounds very lucky to me. I don’t feel I have an unlucky account; my Guildie always thinks he never is lucky. I think I have more ‘luck’ than he, because I play more than twice as much as he does.

I have had 1 Ascended item (weapon) drop in my 5000 hours of play, but I get nothing like 1 – 2 Exotics/week. I suppose ‘luck’ is relative to each one perceiving it.
To me, you seem very lucky.

Is my RNG bugged?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Wow. One or two Exotics a week? That sounds very lucky to me.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I’ve been playing since launch and outside of fractals and opening 1,000 champ bags in one setting, I don’t remember getting one exotic every week until I started doing fractals (the rate seems better than in dungeons). If I discount bouncy chests, it’s even common to go several days without getting rares (at least, until I started buffing MF).

In terms of ascended drops, I’ve gotten 3 total, including one from tequatl after killing that dragon 100+ times. In contrast, I have a friend who plays less than I do, primarily WvW (infamous for bad drops) and they’ve outfitted two characters with ascended from drops.

Is my RNG bugged?

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Well, as it’s said.. RNG is RNG yes. R = random, in other worlds, you will never know what it will be.

I feel your pain and here is a fun (maybe not so fun) fact that even happened to me: long time ago, when I had been playing the game for almost 1 year I got a precursor, yes a pre, that dropped from a lvl 20ish drake at Caledon Forest and it was my 3rd or 4th exotic that I got dropped in the game. My Magic Find at that time was around 60%. A friend of mine that had been playing since launch (for 1.5 years when that happened) “never” got any precursors. At that time to I would regularly get a rare here and there.

Nowadays, my friend still have got no precursors, my MF is at 170% and I hardly get a single rare from drops. Exotics? I can’t recall getting any on past year.

So yeah, that’s luck and honestly MF seems to make it even worse. As I’m used to joke… “Magic Find is a lie” :P

Is my RNG bugged?

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

RNG is RNG. BUT, there are accounts that can become ‘outliers’ (to use a term in another thread that anet used) . Essentially some accounts may get more or less than most of the players. Anet has mentioned it but hasn’t done anything about it that I am aware of.

Is my RNG bugged?

Posted by: Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

RNG may be RNG but I have noticed playing since launch on main account I have horrible RNG. On alt account that I’ve been playing maybe 6 months I get exotic drops, a precursor and ascended drops. And others have noticed this sort of thing too. I think maybe anet needs to look into older accounts and RNG. Don’t just pass it off as RNG. My main account has 230% mf before buffs and my alt account has maybe 125% at the most. It’s so bad that I do all my farming on my alt account cuz I get around approximately 10 t6 an hour depending on farm. On my main account doing same farms I might get 1 an hour.

Forever Against Stacked Servers
Virual [VRUS] Alien Lunatics [StFu] Nocturnal Sxaddx [Nuts] Ft. Aspenwood
That which is dead may eternally lie, but with great aeons even death may die.

Is my RNG bugged?

Posted by: Kari.3849

Kari.3849

RNG may be RNG but I have noticed playing since launch on main account I have horrible RNG. On alt account that I’ve been playing maybe 6 months I get exotic drops, a precursor and ascended drops. And others have noticed this sort of thing too. I think maybe anet needs to look into older accounts and RNG. Don’t just pass it off as RNG. My main account has 230% mf before buffs and my alt account has maybe 125% at the most. It’s so bad that I do all my farming on my alt account cuz I get around approximately 10 t6 an hour depending on farm. On my main account doing same farms I might get 1 an hour.

100% story of my Life

Is my RNG bugged?

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Ditto, my characters are from the launch/first year and I consider myself an outlier. Your example is exactly what was mentioned in a thread with dev input. But they have chosen not to deal with those cursed with bad luck outlier accounts.. The account owners on the opposite end won’t be complaining.

Is my RNG bugged?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So, is it RNG that only certain accounts from launch are outliers?

If every account has the same ‘luck’, is it RNG?

Is my RNG bugged?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

RNG is RNG. BUT, there are accounts that can become ‘outliers’ (to use a term in another thread that anet used) . Essentially some accounts may get more or less than most of the players. Anet has mentioned it but hasn’t done anything about it that I am aware of.

No, an “account” cannot become an outlier. An account can suffer from abnormal luck during a particular period, but the account itself is never lucky or unlucky. Luck does not care what happened yesterday.

Put another way, your GF might have gotten luckier the last three months. That has no bearing on which of you (if either) will be luckier in the next three.

Is my RNG bugged?

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Put another way, your GF might have gotten luckier the last three months. That has no bearing on which of you (if either) will be luckier in the next three.

Well, my case I mentioned before could be a clear example of that.

Is my RNG bugged?

Posted by: McMuffinPopper.7841

McMuffinPopper.7841

But what is especially weird to me is that the rarity of the of the loot that we are BOTH getting is consistent and I know that this “always getting good loot” thing happens with a lot of people. It sound kinda unfair actually because (for example) that means there is no way for me finding a precursor (including the time I will be playing because it has been like this for 2 years) except for hours and hours of mindless grinding gold, while some new player who just started the game might find two in a month. You would assume that everyone has that one millionth of a chance to find a precursor but this clearly does not sound like RNG, it sounds too unfairly distributed to be “good” RNG

Is my RNG bugged?

Illconceived Was Na.9781

But what is especially weird to me is that the rarity of the of the loot that we are BOTH getting is consistent and I know that this “always getting good loot” thing happens with a lot of people.

It doesn’t. People have extraordinarily bad memories about the loot they get. We humans tend to think of ‘average’ as what we are supposed to get and pay a lot more attention when we don’t. We pay little attention when we get near-average results or even with slightly better than average — we dismiss it as due to us.

Not too long ago, I had a weird streak in the forge. The normal upgrade rate is 1:5 (20%).

*My first ~120 tries combining greens resulted in a single rare (expected: 6).

• The next ~32 and yielded 6 rares (expected 1.5)

So for the full set, I got expected. But the first 30… felt like the forge had failed (while the last 8, I thought, eh, about time). Just goes to show how bad we humans are at estimating odds or understanding patterns by gut alone.

If I hadn’t been tracking results at the time, I would have remembered the 120 tries with one success; I wouldn’t have noticed that the results for 150+ was average.

It sound kinda unfair actually because (for example) that means there is no way for me finding a precursor (including the time I will be playing because it has been like this for 2 years) except for hours and hours of mindless grinding gold, while some new player who just started the game might find two in a month.

The system is actually designed so that it’s better to save money and buy the precursor:

• Very few drops are usable by you; you turn them into value by selling or salvaging.
  • Once you have exotics, the majority of expenses are cosmetic, so you choose which shinies you want to save up for.

The idea is that wealthy players will nearly always choose to buy rather than farm specific things they need, and lucky players will get 85% of that (the rest leaving the economy via TP fees).

You would assume that everyone has that one millionth of a chance to find a precursor but this clearly does not sound like RNG, it sounds too unfairly distributed to be “good” RNG

Yeah, I’ve been writing about the math, not about how it feels to the player. The mathematics and economics is sound, but … but… tiny RNG really throws a lot of players into a cycle of frustration and despair about obtaining nice stuff.

Still, the alternatives can be worse: if the rate is too high, than anyone can obtain them and people start to devalue the worth. We stop thinking things are special when they can be easily acquired and/or when they aren’t worth much on the TP.