Kiel & Magnus conversation not triggering 5/7

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Kajin.5301

Kajin.5301

Talked to Kiel, loaded up the instance “A Future into Politics”. Magnus and Kiel inside but they don’t respond or trigger a conversation on their own.

Skysap & Qaju & Juqa -VILE- Desolation

Posted by: Apoteka.6471

Apoteka.6471

Yes, same problem here….

Posted by: RichMach.2179

RichMach.2179

Same for me as well.

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

Same, and the map thinks I’m in the Dredgehaunt Cliffs for some reason.

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

Posted by: ppaladin.4608

ppaladin.4608

Same. They just stand there.

Posted by: BlueSoda.6297

BlueSoda.6297

Is it working for anyone at all?

EDIT: Lol, my guild mates didn’t even believe me that there was an instance. There isn’t anything in the mail they sent about going to talk to Ellen…

Charr Lawful-Neutral

(edited by BlueSoda.6297)

Posted by: Megis.9264

Megis.9264

Same problem, here.

Posted by: Kyllaa.1385

Kyllaa.1385

I can confirm both bits… No conversation (Magnus is un-responsive) and the map shows Dredgehaunt Cliffs.

Posted by: Bry.8140

Bry.8140

Same problem here

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

No dice here either

Posted by: KiLLiAN.5629

KiLLiAN.5629

Issue occurs for me as well.

Posted by: newzac.5783

newzac.5783

Same here. Also, on the map and mini-map it says I’m in Dredgehaunt instead of in LA.

Posted by: CorneliusCoffin.3169

CorneliusCoffin.3169

Is this even supposed to be there? Was this announced anywhere?
Somehow this seems to me like another case of ((Delete Me)).
This is ((DeleteMe))-Gate Part II.

Kyllaa.1385

I waited in the Grand Piazza in Lion’s arch and heard the conversation there between Inspector Ellen Kiel and Magnus, but the instanced conversation “A Future in Politics” is still not working.

I can’t help but wonder if this isn’t meant to be active yet. I filed an in-game bug report anyway.

Posted by: CorneliusCoffin.3169

CorneliusCoffin.3169

I waited in the Grand Piazza in Lion’s arch and heard the conversation there between Inspector Ellen Kiel and Magnus, but the instanced conversation “A Future in Politics” is still not working.

I can’t help but wonder if this isn’t meant to be active yet. I filed an in-game bug report anyway.

I didn’t even hear a conversation between them. I went there because it was mentioned here on the forums. What did they say?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just witnessed it.

(edited by CorneliusCoffin.3169)

Posted by: Outlaw.3421

Outlaw.3421

I didn’t even hear a conversation between them. I went there because it was mentioned here on the forums. What did they say?

It repeats, but it doesn’t hurt to post it here. This is outside of the instance, not the bugged one on the inside.

Magnus goes up to Kiel basically saying that there will be a council election because Ashford’s second in command died during the Molten Alliance business. Magnus put Kiel’s name in to replace Ashford and he took one of the leftover Aetherblade ships for her to use (so she becomes a captain as only captains are allowed on the council.)

(edited by Outlaw.3421)

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Thanks for reporting this! The ‘Future In Politics’ map instance is a known bug.

Originally planned for a conversation between Inspector Kiel and Magnus the Bloody Handed, this conversation now takes place in the open world and repeats a few times each hour. This is an optional scene for players to watch, has no reward associated with it, and helps provide context for the future story.

Thanks again for your reports.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

Posted by: Lonami.2987

Lonami.2987

Thanks for reporting this! The ‘Future In Politics’ map instance is a known bug.

Originally planned for a conversation between Inspector Kiel and Magnus the Bloody Handed, this conversation now takes place in the open world and repeats a few times each hour. This is an optional scene for players to watch, has no reward associated with it, and helps provide context for the future story.

I think you should have instanced it, people miss gossip like this if they don’t know it exists. I don’t think it’s a positive way for delivering the lore. It’s a somewhat “surprise” moment, I would hate to see the result next patch without having seen this gossip :/.

Elonian elite specialization ideas: El: Dervish
M: Bladedancer – N: Scourge – En: Occultist – Ra: Swampstalker
T: Sharpshooter – G: Sunspear – Re: Hierophant – W: Corsair

Posted by: joshc.3129

joshc.3129

If it has no reward then why does it say, “You have something for me”?

Kill stuff to unlock weapons skills, most confusing thing I ever heard of. (sarcasm)

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I think you should have instanced it, people miss gossip like this if they don’t know it exists. I don’t think it’s a positive way for delivering the lore. It’s a somewhat “surprise” moment, I would hate to see the result next patch without having seen this gossip :/.

I agree. I don’t like when semi-vital pieces of plot (or even backstory, really) are placed as gossip conversations and not instanced. Its too easy for people to overlook them entirely if its just something that happens on a timer. It requires people to be in the area at the exact time the conversation happens to trigger, and to realize it’s an important conversation and stop moving to listen to the whole thing. Those sorts of situations are not going to happen very often. A bit moreso in Lion’s Arch than other areas (like Southsun) but there are still going to be lots of people who miss it completely. And even if people know about it in advance, it still requires standing around for a period of time just waiting for it to trigger, which isn’t very fun either.

I guess in this case the patch notes are meant to point people toward it (since it technically doesn’t say anything about an instance, just that “a conversation takes place between Kiel and Magnus in the square”). But not everyone reads the patch notes, and the bugged instance is obviously confusing even the people who do read it.

Last Stand on Southsun had the same problems. Almost all of the actual “clues” pointing to Canach’s involvement were through gossip conversations (or item descriptions, in the case of the Fervid Censor) and people had no idea what was going on if they didn’t happen to be in the settlement when that one specific conversation between Kiel and Hekja happened or in the area when Kiel and Levvi were discussing her findings. Well, there was the blog post about it, but I don’t really consider blog posts found outside the game as valid sources of major plot info either.

Gossip conversations are great for a general feel of the world being alive. For fun little interactions between NPCs that don’t actually give vital information, but just make the NPCs seem more fun and interesting and make everything seem more organic.

They are not good for relaying important plot points.

(edited by Electro.4173)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

If it has no reward then why does it say, “You have something for me”?

“Something” can include information.

Posted by: Falunel.7645

Falunel.7645

Just poking my head in- for those who want to watch the conversation but don’t want to wait for it, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiOdlvzKjOY Started recording a bit late and someone turned Kiel around, but hopefully it helps.

(And yeah, there’s a post in the Living Story board, but it’s only text atm and getting to it involves digging through a kittenload of whine.)

Falunel – Sylvari Elementalist | Falche Graysong – Human Mesmer | Tarnished Coast
Ember Solace [SOL] – A guild welcoming of newbies and those at the margins.
New Player Outreach Thread

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

Just poking my head in- for those who want to watch the conversation but don’t want to wait for it, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiOdlvzKjOY Started recording a bit late and someone turned Kiel around, but hopefully it helps.

(And yeah, there’s a post in the Living Story board, but it’s only text atm and getting to it involves digging through a kittenload of whine.)

This is from outside of the instance. I think something must happen inside… Or not? I saw this dialog, but nothing is happening inside.

I will go on leave for two weeks. It is last day i can play GW2

English is not my native language, sorry :<

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I just went into the instance without reading the discussions of it because I didn’t want spoilers. I had the same issues reported above. I also got the pop up error window talking about not being able to reach the login server, both while in the instance and upon exiting. Nervously I swapped to another character and got the same pop up when I loaded in on her.

Is this caused by the bugged instance, or did I just hit a login server crash and thus had better not exit the game?

Kyllaa.1385

As stated by Regina, this is a known bug and nothing is intended to occur in the instance it seems.

As for error code, that was part of a different issue that was occurring randomly while zoning. That has since been reported as fixed.