Location disclosure while flagged invisible!

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Kate Soulguard.7132

Kate Soulguard.7132

If a player flags as invisible, friends can still see the invisible player’s location by hovering over their name in Friends and reading the OnHover / tooltip for the player.

To reproduce this issue:
1) Friend A flags as Invisible.
2) Friend B goes to Friends.
3) Friend B scrolls to Friend A in the list.
4) Friend B points at Friend A and reads the tooltip.

Using myself as an example, what a friend should see is:

Kate Soulguard.7132

What they see instead is:

Kate Soulguard.7132
—(a dark line)—
Level 80 Guardian
Timberline Falls

All while I am flagged as offline.

Please fix this as soon as possible. OnHover / tooltip properties should not disclose the player’s location when offline.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

You can also see “invisible/offline” guildies as yellow dots on the world map. If you mouse over the dot you can read the name (and you don’t have to be friended with them to do this).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I’m a guild leader with 2 accts and it’s sometimes necessary for me to make myself invisible while repping my alt guild in order to manage the guild bank there. However, when i make myself online again and try to use guild chat in my main guild, it says i’m not in a guild, even though it shows me in the roster as being online. The only way i’ve been able to fix this is to relog.

Kate Soulguard.7132

Hi, Just a Flesh Wound and Tiger Ashante.

Looking at the Known Issues page:
https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/98802888

I see no references to either of the things you mention here. I have reported mine in-game as a bug, and I would encourage you each to do the same by typing /bug in-game, since there is more of a guarantee that these issues you’ve mentioned will be entered into a ticketing system and not overlooked accidentally here in the forums. It also will allow you to submit screenshots.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I think the Devs are likely aware of these issues, as it has been brought up repeatedly on the forums, and elsewhere.

In fact, the Devs responded previously, and implemented the change to Status when logging out and in with a prior patch.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Looking at the Known Issues page:
https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/98802888

It’s really a “curated list of issues” — it’s manually updated, whenever the dev who publishes it has time to post. They don’t yet have a way of filtering items from their internal bug tracker to be “ready to post” for us (most internal tracking systems don’t, since a lot of bugs are arcane to us mortals and/or the description would be misleading or useless to us).

In other words, not everything ANet is working on will be on that list.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Kate Soulguard.7132

Ohhhh okay. Well thank you for clarifying.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Ohhhh okay. Well thank you for clarifying.

No problem.

PS I meant to say that I agree with your underlying implication: the game really ought to have better privacy tools & options. I think there’s widespread agreement about this, although folks seem to have a lot of different ideas about what those tools ought to be and it’s unclear how easy it would be for ANet to add them to the game.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”