Long map load times after patch

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

The map shows that it is STREAMING client models on every map load.

To clear up some confusion: unless one is seeing things in the Jit Queue, it’s streaming (loading) from disk, not the server.

We’re investigating map loading times.

Also skill lag in WvW.

Posted by: middude.9716

middude.9716

We’re investigating map loading times.

From an outsider’s perspective, it almost seems like for some people caching of character models, textures and skins isn’t happening properly. Or a problem with rendering was introduced in the last patch.

The reason that I say this is the incidents of character screen issues where each individual character’s data has to be reloaded one by one (with a black background until every character is reloaded) coupled with map loading times fluctuating based on how many other players are nearby. More players, more characters and all of their info to load, longer times.

For those experiencing long LA map load times, go do this: go relog at Fort Mariner or near the Mystic Forge and time it, then do the same at White Crane Terrace/Shuttered Gtae POI or Hooligan’s Route/The Undermarket POI. See a difference?

(edited by middude.9716)

Posted by: FearSeven.6357

FearSeven.6357

I have noticed two things in the loading times since the patch, they either are very long, much longer than before, or are super short and no character models are loaded yet when you enter a map. Especially noticeable when you enter The Mist.

Posted by: DragonSquid.5873

DragonSquid.5873

I am so glad it is being addressed.

It feels like my game is back on a mechanical drive with the load times.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed a bug that caused an increase in map load times for some players.

Posted by: ggliff.8903

ggliff.8903

Yes a bit better now but still twice as long as before big patch. And same with character selection, still clunky and slow compared to before.

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

I’m not having any loading issues, but since the patch today I have been crashing. Notably annoying as it has conveniently happened at world bosses right as they are about to die. My internet has been fine.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: Acharyn.4738

Acharyn.4738

I still have a high ping. Not the high spikes of 600+, but really high.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The fix seems to have worked for me. Back to ~90 seconds for LA, rather than the 180+ after the previous patch. DR is back to 60 seconds, and other cities ~15 seconds.

So, thanks for working on it, Devs!

Posted by: Acharyn.4738

Acharyn.4738

You mean 90 milliseconds right? Unless you’re still having the ping issues I’m having.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

No, I mean seconds. I’m not sure what Ping has to do with it; my ping is always ~100 or less.

Posted by: Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Arshay Duskbrow.1306

Makeover kit choices still load slowly. Not AS slow, but enough to be annoying.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

That’s true. Previewing any armor, etc. still seems somewhat slow, though much better than before.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Things have improved, but still not the same as before.

Posted by: Dal.5872

Dal.5872

Still rubbish load times.

Has improved ever so slightly. But still my normal 3-4 second load time is now around 20-25 seconds.

IGN: Dal Brinium

Posted by: Dal.5872

Dal.5872

It does seem a little improved again when loading in for a second time.

Now down to around 12 seconds to load LA.
Waypointing in WvW is now alot quicker and almost back to normal, but not quite.

IGN: Dal Brinium

Posted by: Zamora.1843

Zamora.1843

Map loading times are much better, thank you for the quick fix.

Posted by: David Saunders

Previous

David Saunders

Engine Programmer

Hi folks, here’s some info on the issue.

There was some work done to how we build character textures (aka “composites”) in an effort to reduce memory fragmentation and out of memory crashes. There were two parts to the change:

1) Reduce the number of asynchronous composite builds in flight from four to one to reduce the total amount of texture memory used by the composite system. This should be reverted back to four soon enough.
2) Make the composite system allocate a small pool of texture to reuse during the composite build process. If there is no more room in the pool, the composite system waits a frame to give active composite jobs an opportunity to finish and release their textures back to the pool.

When a single character composite is built, as many as 122 separate ~1MB temporary textures are allocated, worked on, then discarded. These textures are too big to fit in the Windows Low Fragmentation Heap, so they cause massive memory fragmentation. Fragmentation occurs when a large chunk of memory is allocated from the OS then other smaller allocations occur “around” that larger allocation. When the chunk of memory is released back to the OS, this leaves holes in the address space so the OS can have a hard time finding large enough contiguous blocks of memory for larger allocations in the future.

In addition to fragmentation, character composites would allocate several hundred MB’s of memory during map load, starving other tasks of precious memory. When the OS either runs out of available address space or doesn’t have enough contiguous space for a large allocation, GW2 crashes. The texture pooling helps with both issues by both reducing fragmentation (by reusing textures) and limiting the number of textures that can be allocated at once.

We’re working on finding a good balance between the size of the texture pools and affected load times. Keep an eye out for future release notes related to the issue.

Hopefully this info is interesting to people

Sorry for the inconvenience!

-Dave

Posted by: Bruiser.4189

Bruiser.4189

Thanks Dave for the technical explanation! I found it interesting and hope to see more of these types of post to know what is going on behind the scenes and hear about how you are trying to make the game client better optimized.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Does this have anything to do with our characters now moving in ‘fast-foward’ (for a second or two) once loading into a map?

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

There was some work done to how we build character textures (aka “composites”) in an effort to reduce memory fragmentation and out of memory crashes. There were two parts to the change:

1) Reduce the number of asynchronous composite builds in flight from four to one to reduce the total amount of texture memory used by the composite system. This should be reverted back to four soon enough.
2) Make the composite system allocate a small pool of texture to reuse during the composite build process. If there is no more room in the pool, the composite system waits a frame to give active composite jobs an opportunity to finish and release their textures back to the pool.

When a single character composite is built, as many as 122 separate ~1MB temporary textures are allocated, worked on, then discarded. These textures are too big to fit in the Windows Low Fragmentation Heap, so they cause massive memory fragmentation. Fragmentation occurs when a large chunk of memory is allocated from the OS then other smaller allocations occur “around” that larger allocation. When the chunk of memory is released back to the OS, this leaves holes in the address space so the OS can have a hard time finding large enough contiguous blocks of memory for larger allocations in the future.

In addition to fragmentation, character composites would allocate several hundred MB’s of memory during map load, starving other tasks of precious memory. When the OS either runs out of available address space or doesn’t have enough contiguous space for a large allocation, GW2 crashes. The texture pooling helps with both issues by both reducing fragmentation (by reusing textures) and limiting the number of textures that can be allocated at once.

We’re working on finding a good balance between the size of the texture pools and affected load times. Keep an eye out for future release notes related to the issue.

-Dave

what about the skill lag and high ping and spike.

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

Started to experience long load times today for maps and even pvp matches and slight freezes.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

[sip]

-Dave

Really thanks for the technical explanation. It’s rare to see these things here and some of us can understand that well, even though it can look mysterious and weird talk for others hehe.

I know you meant memory fragmentation but it reminded about a suggestion for those not using SSD drives: disk fragmentation. I have noticed that loading times get somewhat improved after I defragment my files, mainly the big GW2.dat. Usually OS native defragmenter tool won’t defrag that file because it’s huge but in this case there are options and softwares out there which does it and I would recommend people to give it a try, mainly after each big patch.

For those wondering about ping and stuff, I don’t think ping is directly related to long loading times as it’s more directly related to loading info from your system (textures, map info and such). However I believe it can affect it somehow too because it needs to know how many characters it must load too and that info is given by the server, but I believe it would be a minor thing regarding load times issue (I’m used to run it with -maploadinfo param :P).

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

-Dave

This is the most informative post by an Arenanet employee I have ever seen. Informative, Explanatory, Concise, and, well, informative. Well Done Sir.

Posted by: Andronica Farwyn.7684

Andronica Farwyn.7684

Thanks for your great explanation. Many times we as players forget that the amazing world of Guild Wars is actually a very complex software system. It’s easy to complain when something doesn’t work perfectly, but as an IT professional myself I am constantly in awe of ANet’s programmers. Keep up the excellent work!

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

<snip>

I’ve got 24 gigs of ram – feel free to make good use of it!

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: tovadaun.6304

tovadaun.6304

Can you please let us know how to allocate more RAM to be used by GW2?
Like ODG above, I have oodles of RAM as well as a swap file that would make you faint (to go hand in hand w the oodles of RAM I have). I am pretty sure GW2 is not living up to my Memory’s Expectations.
Also, on a side note- when will GW2 finally make use of more than one processor? /:

Kitta the Conjurer, Guardian- At Your Service- Yak’s Bend
Stuff! Stuffy stuff stuff stuff!!