[Merged] Nameplates always showing

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: munkaybiznaz.8067

munkaybiznaz.8067

I have them turned off on my options menu yet everywhere I look there is blue text.
Oddly this seems to be only for characters at a distance greater than 1200 units. Characters closer than this do not show their names unless prompted by the shift key.
-Thanks!

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Thanks for the report, munkaybiznaz. We’ll have this looked at.

Posted by: Strifexz.1520

Strifexz.1520

I seem to be having the exact same problem. Any character farther than 1200 shows their name. Npc’s, ambient creatures, and players.

When u get close it dissapears.

Thank you

Attachments:

Posted by: Niteip.8301

Niteip.8301

Yes this is super annoying I have this same bug. I am betting most people do.

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

Same thing happening here. For instance every sparklefly in the Grove is displayed at a distance and now I’m greeted with a sea of overlapping and unreadable nameplates in any large area with more than a few players or NPCs. Being that these overlapping labels on everything is completely unreadable anyway, what exactly is the purpose of forcing them to be displayed at all? I dream of a simple checkbox that would eliminate all nameplates all together, even if i get close or mouse over something. I seriously don’t need to know that the thing right in front of me is called a Crab or that “I Pwn Noobs” is standing in front of me at the trading post. Please, this game is a work of art, don’t force us to graffity it up with unreadable, ugly and pointless nameplates.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Posted by: Tozza.1382

Tozza.1382

I have Show Npc Names and Show Player Names disabled yet everywhere I look I see names overhead.

What is the point in having the option to enable or disable this if it does nothing either way?

I don’t want to see npc or player names because it ruins this otherwise beautiful environment I try* to get into.

Fix this

Thanks

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

I have noticed the same issue
here is a picture

Attachments:

Posted by: Jaidy.1824

Jaidy.1824

Have to agree to this. Doesn’t seem to work. Especially in LA. During the invasion event i didnt had the problem. Might have to do with the incredible amount of players visible in LA.

(see the attached screenshot, with the settings on and off)

Attachments:

Posted by: Sanctus.8350

Sanctus.8350

I doubt its bugged, it shows the names of anyone outside of the fade-in distance, which completely negates the benefits of having them… you know, fade in. The name plate are laggy, anet, please turn them off globally if the setting is turned off (I would pay gems for an option to turn everyone except party and guild off).

Posted by: Jaidy.1824

Jaidy.1824

Option to turn only guild members on and perhaps enemies would be welcome.

Posted by: Daevinity Inspirata.2508

Daevinity Inspirata.2508

Ever since you guys turned off culling in PVE I have had a sea of names across my screen at all times. It makes the game run poorly for me and makes it ugly too.

Yes, I have the names turned off in the settings. The names ARE off within roughly a 1200 radius, anything outside that radius still shows names – NPCs, Players, everything is named outside the radius. As I run up to the names they disappear.

So obviously something is not working properly. I do hope you can get this fixed soon as it hurts my gaming experience considerably.

Just wanted to add in as well my husband has the same issue so I know it is not just my PC/game client doing it.

Daevinity Inspirata.2508

I also wanted to include a screenshot of how I see things in game.

Notice how only my group member’s name shows within a radius of my character (the little Asura with bunny ears on a broom there) and everything in the distance has a name.

Near the bank is horrible =(

Attachments:

Posted by: Kenlar.9745

Kenlar.9745

Having the same issue here. After a little investigation I discovered that the amount of names/range that it shows the nameplates outside of is proportionally tied to the character model limit option under graphics. With it set to highest and the model quality set to medium it is almost back to where it was pre-patch for me (I still get some nameplates very far away). If you set that option to lowest – there is a sea of names right in front of you (but almost no character models). Attached is an example of the character model setting at highest, followed by the lowest setting.

Attachments:

(edited by Kenlar.9745)

Daevinity Inspirata.2508

I have mine set on low because it helps my system handle the bigger fights…. but not when you add in the sea of names >.<

Posted by: figure.7098

figure.7098

I’m seeing the same exact thing happening. I didn’t notice it until I left WvW and went back into PvE. Not saying that’s what triggered it, just didn’t notice it until that point. Going through any town is annoying

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

The pink uniforms change when you increase model quality. The names become less when you increase model limits. Frame rate decreases exponentially if you do either. So, what do those of us who would prefer to immerse ourselves in the game without the ever expanding green blobs or the attack of the pink clones do? Play at a framerate of about 3?

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Bump it so devs can see it

Posted by: Kootje.9271

Kootje.9271

With culling turned off we now see more ppl on the map. Weird thing was, I always played with show player names turned off, after this patch I was seeing all the names again from the players. When I turned off show NPC names, all the player names got removed from the screen, but the NPC names stayed. It solved it for me, but it ofc shouldn’t be like that.

turn off player names – should turn of player names
turn off NPC names – should turn of NPC names

At least if I’m correct

So turning off NPC names solved seeing all the player nametags :S

Proud member of Dutch-Finest Guild on Far Shiverpeaks.

If it ain’t dutch,… :P

Posted by: Tozza.1382

Tozza.1382

All great suggestions guys. Keep them coming

This eyesore/distraction and otherwise big fracking mess is somthing people like me* leave otherwise wonderful games over.

Fix This Problem

Thanks

(edited by Tozza.1382)

Posted by: ClintonD.8620

ClintonD.8620

I just noticed it in LA and was checking to see if I wasn’t the only one who noticed. Glad I’m not the only one. As others have said, it seems to happen with the Fade-In distance. Anyone in your immediate vicinity has their names turned off, those in this distance will have their names on.

I took a picture to show what I mean.

(yeah, my fps sucks in places with large crowds, I’ve learned to live with it, lol)

Attachments:

Posted by: Death Slayer.1468

Death Slayer.1468

just wanted to say i have no issues at all

so Anet should really look into this

Attachments:

Posted by: Dragsooth.4071

Dragsooth.4071

Please fix this, Anet, it destroys immersion.

:3

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

In the new invasions, the number of green names blocks just about anything from view. It’s a good thing the Captain mobs are 2x as tall, because that’s the only way I know where they are. Everything else is relying on auto-targeting.

Kenlar.9745

the big issue with this is on lower end PCs. all you can see is a sea of nameplates. the setting says turn nameplates off, it should mean off not just outside of my viewing/fade in distance…

Kenlar.9745

there are a few other threads about this on the forum, ty for merging these together. I really want ANet to fix this, it breaks immersion so hard for my wife and I.

Posted by: Kyllaa.1385

Kyllaa.1385

I cannot confirm this (after testing it).

I found that when you turn player name tags off, most player tags disappear, but if they are far away, the tags remain (most likely due to the possibility of culling on lower end systems, graphics settings, view distance, etc)… Probably to let you know that there are still players there even if you can’t see them… Or can in some cases.

Turning off NPC name tags only turned off the NPC name tags.

So, I haven’t really found a bug… Unless this is a windows vs Mac client anomaly.

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

Same thing here.

When I turn off player names and enemy names, It still shows all of them. When I press the show all player names button, 5 of them disappear. In zergs, all I see is red and green names. I can’t get rid of their nameplates ;_;

Are you Shpongled?

Kenlar.9745

It has to do with culling settings and fade distance. If your computer can handle it try turning the character models limit option under graphics to highest (and if possible character model quality to medium). The issue is when the character models aren’t loaded (I.e. culled according to that character models setting) they get nameplates instead, regardless of whether you have those nameplates enabled. Observe the amount of nameplates with character models and their distance from you when you cycle the character models setting from lowest to highest. ANet merged a few threads earlier about this(https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Merged-Player-and-npc-names/first#post2681530), it has a dev response stating that they are looking into it.

(edited by Kenlar.9745)

Kenlar.9745

Posted by: kdose.5309

kdose.5309

Just wanted to +1 all this.

With culling removed everywhere now…

1. Nameplates in WvW are useful, so you can see how many bad guys are coming to kill you or how many good guys are around to save you.

2. Nameplates in PvE, particularly cities, aren’t necessary past the draw distance. If I’m in the lion’s arch bank and look out at the mystic forge plaza, I dont need to see nameplates to let me know players are all the way over in the TP, or the crafting area, etc. I know they’re there, but I don’t want to see a text placeholder if my computer can’t draw a toon. As another poster mentioned, I agree it puts a dent in immersion, and I don’t require it for gameplay.

Thanks for looking into it and hopefully considering some additional customizing tweaks for this.

Kenlar.9745

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/How-to-remove-npc-names/first#post2686450 – and a bump again/this thread needs to be merged in here. also would like to add this (http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1kwxsv/arenanet_please_give_us_an_option_to_show_only/) reddit post where some good discussion is taking place concerning this exact issue (under a different name). iirc Aion had some options like this, you could control who had what particle/skill effects (party/all as the options…) and that would reduce the lag from a zerg easy enough. the option of what nameplates to show would be great for showing only party/guild or none and getting lost in the pretty that is this game.

Kenlar.9745

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

This thread is still stickied, but I haven’t had the issue for several days now of nameplates still showing despite being hidden. Is this fixed for everyone else as well?

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |