Mesmer Illusionary Leap Bug Report

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

No, ILeap’s issues with moving to the target are far worse than most class’s gap closers. In a class that is so dependent on positioning, it’s silly that one of our key melee skills can be so finicky. Especially when it’s our only bind and we have no movement upgrades.

If they did fix the skill by making it shadow step to target they’d probably pull some stuff like adding a longer CD or giving it a channeled duration or root. Forget that. Just fix the other stuff. I’ll continue to get called OP while struggling to use broken skills.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Posted by: Katz.5143

Katz.5143

3. Pathing of the Illusion that Leaps acts bugged aswell when not using it on flat ground. It cannot make it on the ramps and over any small obstacles even If you’re in the line of sight and within range. (Since Release)

… number 3 is a technical limitation of our system and not a bug. Unfortunately, this is not something we can change as of this time….

The problem with #3 indicates to me that all skills that are affected by lack of flat terrain should be reworked. There is very little truly flat terrain in the game anywhere.

It’s a kitten conspiracy. Kittens gonna be kittens. All is vain!

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

I think in many situations you actually don’t realize your target’s obstructed because the camera hovers above you.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: hoyasaxa.1974

hoyasaxa.1974

1. The skill does not apply cripple as states in the Tooltip. (Since patch 1/3)
2. The skill is not affected by the trait Blade Training which is supposed to reduce CD of sword skills by 20%. The tooltip says 9.5s CD but it goes on 12s CD after use. (Since Release)
3. Pathing of the Illusion that Leaps acts bugged aswell when not using it on flat ground. It cannot make it on the ramps and over any small obstacles even If you’re in the line of sight and within range. (Since Release)

While we are aware of and working on number 1 & 2, number 3 is a technical limitation of our system and not a bug. Unfortunately, this is not something we can change as of this time.

Thank you for the reports! We hope to get these fixed in an upcoming patch.

Hey Jason, others have said this, but it bears repeating. The folks who designed this skill intended, presumably, for it to work on hills, stairs, and ramps. The skill, howeer, does not work because of technical limitations.

In this situation, there are really only 2 options. Either you somehow do away with the technical limitations (understandably difficult) or you modify the skill that was not designed with the technical limitations in mind. Otherwise you have a skill that, while cool in concept, does not work in the actual game.

Why not make the clone spawn on the target like many phantasms do?

Posted by: Advert Paperer.7059

Advert Paperer.7059

Why not make the clone spawn on the target like many phantasms do?

A Mesmer standing outside a tower can often target defenders or siege weapons, thereby summoning illusions atop the walls. If you were able to Swap position with one of them, then you could quickly create a Portal Entree and bring in a few friends to capture the tower.

Posted by: zcoob.9105

zcoob.9105

it’s probably not very hard to prevent that. you cannot blink up a tower either, so to make you not able to swap with a clone that is inside a tower shouldn’t be insanely difficult.

hoyasaxa.1974

Zcoob has the right idea. The rules governing swap should be the same as the rules governing blink. Problem solved?

Posted by: PadmaN.7820

PadmaN.7820

1. The skill does not apply cripple as states in the Tooltip. (Since patch 1/3)
2. The skill is not affected by the trait Blade Training which is supposed to reduce CD of sword skills by 20%. The tooltip says 9.5s CD but it goes on 12s CD after use. (Since Release)

While we are aware of and working on number 1 & 2, number 3 is a technical limitation of our system and not a bug. Unfortunately, this is not something we can change as of this time.

First of all: Thank you for your response.
Patch 8/3 succesfully fixed bug #1. Since you can’t fix #3 due to technical diffuculties that leaves us with bug #2.
I’m gonna keep this thread alive so we can discuss possible solutions for #3 but we still need a fix on Blade Training not affecting iLeap.

(edited by PadmaN.7820)

zcoob.9105

yes thanks for adressing the missing cripple so quickly. however arenanet needs to talk to us about #3 a little more, if they plan on doing ANYTHING with the skill or just leave it as it is. i think we had some options on how to approach the skill in a different way in this thread.

Posted by: clipnotdone.9634

clipnotdone.9634

Have the clone spawn as phantasms used to, on top of their target.
To avoid exploiting, have swap only work as far as LoS will allow.
Let the design team know I said "You're Welcome" : D

If such a problem existed and has been known about, why was this skill even implemented in the first place?

25/90 never forget.

(edited by clipnotdone.9634)

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Whoa, wait. The game engine cannot do something that a skill was designed to do? That seems like a case of the left hand having no idea what the right hand is doing. What happened there?

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

Wait a minute. Ileap clone has trouble negotiating terrain that the swordsman does not? Seems like a no-brainer. Replace iLeap clone pathing algorithm with the one used for the swordsman, or savage leap, or heartseeker, or <insert working-leap-skill here>.

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

hoyasaxa.1974

Whoa, wait. The game engine cannot do something that a skill was designed to do? That seems like a case of the left hand having no idea what the right hand is doing. What happened there?

This is what caught my attention too. It would be super to have some official word on why this happened. If that isn’t possible, perhaps some official word on why the clone’s leap can’t be replaced by a working leap skill, or any of the other reasonable ideas presented here.

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

I feel like this skill keeps getting more glitchy every time i use it please fix XD.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

zcoob.9105

shameless bump to keep this on first page

Posted by: Jettit.7184

Jettit.7184

pointless without it as the range just allows anyone to walk out of range of the 2skill…just bad

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

This skill as it is, is useless. I just treat it as it doesn’t exist. Even in its working state, the range and slow application of its effect doesn’t make it good anyway.

Edit: It does have 1 use. When the character is stuck on the terrain and cannot get out, it can be used to get out if a mob is nearby.

(edited by FateOmega.9601)

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Have nothing of value to add other than a confirm to above posts, failing to even throw out a clone and just going on C/D is prob the worst. But blinking for only half the distance sucks too. At least we have cripple back!

But seriously can we get some sort of bandaid hot fix? So #3 on the weapon majority of mesmers have aren’t so stressful?

If I had any knowledge of coding or anything like that I’d do it for free ASAP.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

In GW1 lots/enough skills had seperate PvP and PvE versions.

I like to remind the Devs of this, that a change can have different impacts on PvP/WvW or PvE.

I dont play PvP, and i care less about the Cripple.
For PvE i care most about the recharge time. I like it to be as short as possible.
I use iLeap for defense, and when fighting multiple foes i want to recast iLeap quick.
So first i like to see bug #2 fixed.

As for bug #3, someone here mentioned for possible balancing increase recharge, NEVER imho.

Posted by: Coyote.1847

Coyote.1847

My biggest problem has been with the very low range of this skill so far. I mainly use it to get close to an enemy safely by using swap, pop blurred frenzy and dodge away. With a pathetic 600 range most of the time I’m already well within the danger area for most enemies and if I am just a little too far it fizzles and I end up standing around for 10 seconds like a dope because I wasted my blur executing an unfortunate combo of whiff

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

the ileap bug has been addressed. The illusionary zerker bug has not.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

hoyasaxa.1974

One of the three ileap bugs has been addressed. We are looking for answers about the other two. Especially the one that is apparently unfixable. Why has that not been reworked? You bump the thread for the zerker; i got this one

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

Sweet thanks. But they prolly won’t fix these because at the moment mesmers are still SOOOOO OP even though one of the skills necessary for our burst is extremely buggy.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

hoyasaxa.1974

Oh yeah. I sure feel op when my gap closer stutters for 5 seconds on a gentle incline and then just gives up and dies. Good mesmers have learned to cope, and would be op if you made them fight without weapons. Mediocre mesmers like me need gap closers to work!

PadmaN.7820

So Anet. When are we getting at least another bug Fixed? Make 20% CD reduction trait working maybe?

zcoob.9105

other classes also suffer from the uneven terrain issue. engineer’s magnet or guardians greatsword #5
not sure if they would fix 1 skill and leave the others bugged. i sure hope they manage to fix all of them soon

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

Uneven terrain seems to include blades of grass!
Still fun to play but the ongoing bugs…sheesh…

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

The only time standing on stairs should be a valid defensive strategy is when fighting off Daleks, otherwise, they need to address the potential exploit

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

If the leap part of the skill is unfixable then just make the clone spawn at the target OR give it the warriors savage leap skill so it can jump over uneven terrain.

Posted by: Serum.4067

Serum.4067

Change the clone to spawn on target instead of walking; problem solved. Don’t put a skill in your game that can’t be fixed due to limitations, that’s just plain ignorant.

[AoN] – All or Nothing
Takyon Triplesix – Akasera

PadmaN.7820

I’m curious if they are gonna fix at least the cooldown trait tomorrow. Anet confirmed they are aware and working on it – https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Mesmer-Illusionary-Leap-Bug-Report/1587128

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

I have just started using some of these skills now that I’ve leveled my mesmer to 40. Pretty uninspiring to see things that should work, totally fail. But then there are a lot of other bugs in the game that, for some reason or other, Anet has not fixed or cannot fix due to their system constraints.

It really needs to be addressed since your game offers these things. If they cannot be fixed, either remove them entirely or provide something in their place…but leaving a broken skill as is, just is not a good move.

Posted by: zaxon.6819

zaxon.6819

i do not understand “due to a system constraint” what part of the video game are they not in control of or have limitiations in fixing. i gave them some money so it shouldnt be a money issue, the game already uses a good amount of cpu so i dont think a fixed leap would be a strain on anyones system. is every single part of the game limited by hills by design? is it an “art of war” stratagy choice that makes being on higher ground superior to lower ground. if there are any moves in the game that function despite a bump in the road cant the knowledge of how those work be put into making this work. if the hills cause more issues then they are worth in los, is there a way to have hills not obstruct certain ranged attacks and treat them as flat. you have the ability to spawn clones at the target wouldnt that be a better choice then having them path to the target.. or treat them as if they were the unicorn from the legendary short bow. they run in a path directly to the target. ill even take a ranibow on my guy if i have to.
somehow i do not accept beyond our limitation as an excuse given by the people who created the limitation.

Posted by: Jason King.2647

Previous

Jason King.2647

Live Response Embed

We have a potential fix for the bug with Illusionary Leap in the March update.

As for the third point brought up by the OP, some of you have surmised that this is a pathing issue with NPCs, and you’re correct; unfortunately, this is a limitation of our system and one that we do not have plans to change at this time.

Since this is part of the game’s design, the bug forum is not the appropriate place to discuss it. If you have further suggestions or comments on this skill, feel free to continue this discussion in the Mesmer profession forum or the Suggestions forum. If this issue is not fixed with the next build, please create a new thread to report the issue.

Thank you for your understanding! This thread will now be closed.

ArenaNet Community Team
Live Response Embed