Mesmer clones spawn as dummy models

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Mahe.7321

Mahe.7321

Everytime I spawn any mesmer clones, for a second they appear as those ‘unloaded player’ dummy models you usually only see when areas are crowded and a player’s character is not yet loaded. They are displayed correctly shortly after.

Despite being horribly unesthetic, this is entirely unnecessary from a technical point of view because there are no new meshes or textures to be load since the clones are exact copies of the already loaded player character.

See screenshot below shows 2 mesmer clones right after their spawn using “Mirror Image”.

Attachments:

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Your graphic settings are too low. If you turn them up this should not happen.

(edited by Andraus.3874)

Mahe.7321

I’m already using the highest setting for everything except shadows in the graphics options. Besides, this behavior wouldn’t be necessary even for lower graphics settings in my opinion for the reasons I mentioned in the first post.

Andraus.3874

I’m not sure then. All I know is whenever I play on low settings I get the generic charater models. I guess that may not make sense but it has been that way for me since release.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I get the ‘pink’ generic models when I first encounter some players, NPCs, etc. for a few seconds, and then they turn into the regular models. This has happened ever since culling was removed. Not a bug that I know of. Just slower processing.

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

this is entirely unnecessary from a technical point of view because there are no new meshes or textures to be load since the clones are exact copies of the already loaded player character.

It’s necessary for an entirely different reason than what you’re thinking.

Your game client doesn’t yet know what meshes to load onto the character. It knows that there’s a character model at that position, but it hasn’t gotten full information on what meshes to put on it yet from the server.

This way is better than the alternative: not seeing anything until the client knows exactly what skins a character is wearing.

Think of PvP or WvW. Do you really want your client waiting around until it knows every skin on that player that’s coming to attack you before it tells you that there’s even another player there?

Mahe.7321

this is entirely unnecessary from a technical point of view because there are no new meshes or textures to be load since the clones are exact copies of the already loaded player character.

It’s necessary for an entirely different reason than what you’re thinking.

Your game client doesn’t yet know what meshes to load onto the character. It knows that there’s a character model at that position, but it hasn’t gotten full information on what meshes to put on it yet from the server.

This way is better than the alternative: not seeing anything until the client knows exactly what skins a character is wearing.

Think of PvP or WvW. Do you really want your client waiting around until it knows every skin on that player that’s coming to attack you before it tells you that there’s even another player there?

No, I’m not talking about other players. This way is perfectly fine for other player’s models as you mentioned. I agree with that.
I’m talking about my own clones, not clones of others, not other players. There’s no way the game client “doesn’t know what meshes to load”, it’s always an exact copy of my character. Technically there shouldn’t be any considerable delay.

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

No, actually, it doesn’t know. It still has to be told. An example would be the issue we had with outfits.

For you to see this, makes me think you may have a latency issue. Even if everything seems to run fine for you, it may not be able to load the model quickly enough, so it’s doing what it is supposed to do, putting in the default model until it loads the necessary information. You could have a heavily fragmented dat file for gw2 so instead of waiting to load the new information, as stated earlier in thread, you get that.

Even if you have everything on a fast SSD sometimes players or npc’s can still load the default model, and clones would still be subject to that. You shouldn’t be seeing it for very long, and less so after the first time you make a clone in a map. If you still are, then I would expect you to have other noticeable issues. You could go so far as to lower your graphic settings to see what happens, just because. Do check that the character model and character limits are also on moderate-highest settings as well, although I assume you also meant those when you said everything was on highest except shadows, just covering bases.

(edited by Lunacy Solacio.6514)

Posted by: TrevorEh.6915

TrevorEh.6915

I’ve also noticed this problem. It’s a NEW issue, something that was introduced in a recent patch.

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

Have you observed if the generic models are seen when other people’s clones appear? As long as it is only you seeing your own clones as the generic model for a second or two it’s just a visual annoyance. But if other people see the generic model briefly too, then that’s a problem. It gives away which is a clone and which is the player.

Andraus.3874

Does this happen in pvp? That will help determine if it is due to something with graphic settings. In pvp even when graphic settings are lowered the game forces all clones to represent the player and not the model because you could obviously tell the difference between a model and the player clone.

However I haven’t encountered this issue and mostly I only play Mesmer. So I’m curious why this seems to only occur for some people and not others. I play on medium graphic settings.

Also you can see model clones occur for OTHERS in places like wvw or world bosses but I believe that is more due to the higher population. I’ve not seen it occur outside those situations or in pvp.

(edited by Andraus.3874)

Posted by: Saucermote.9140

Saucermote.9140

It is the Model Quality option that has caused my mesmer clones to show up like this in the past. Try turning that up.

You don’t win friends with Salad.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Quality setting doesn’t matter. I have both my mine set to highest possible and I still see the “dummy clones” appear for a brief moment sometimes.

If it was the setting causing it, they would appear as dummies permanently, not just briefly. The brief dummy phase seems to just be related to the game “catching up” and loading the model.

I agree that in theory it shouldn’t be necessary to load anything since its just a clone of another already-loaded player, but I imagine the game doesn’t really differentiate between the two. Data to load is data to load, regardless of whether its already there on another form or not.