Minis: Bug, not Feature

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Aapheus.5780

Aapheus.5780

OK, I know the official stance from ANet at this point seems to be that this is a feature, not a bug, but please explain this: if there are so few players on an instance in a given map that it’s asking for volunteers to move to another instance of said map, then how can it be that minis have to be hidden because of “rising player population”? DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

Attachments:

“Sharpen your blades and protect your vitals — I’m back!”

Posted by: Arctinus.7824

Arctinus.7824

Yeah, I’ve read a post by a dev that it’s working as intended. However, 90% of the time outside the cities, I can’t see the mini due to rising player population, even though there’s no one around.

AND YET, when I was waiting for Tequatl and the map was apparently full, my mini was shown right next to me. o.O

EDIT: [SUGGESTION] If minis are such an issue, then why not limit them to cities only, since you can’t even see them anywhere else anyway.

(edited by Arctinus.7824)

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

EDIT: [SUGGESTION] If minis are such an issue, then why not limit them to cities only, since you can’t even see them anywhere else anyway.

A most emphatic NO! I use my minis out of town as much as, or more than in town.

The stated goal with this new patch was for us to be able to have our minis out all the time without having to re-click them at every portal. I’m gonna bug ’em until they get do that. If they remove my minipet, they can remove your Legendary weapon. THAT will save them some graphics resources.

People can hardly ever see ANY minipets anymore. The toons only have one “idle time” emote anymore. Nobody has any feet anymore. It seems to me the MegaServer has all sorts of resources available to it these days since it isn’t drawing half of what it used to.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Arctinus.7824

Arctinus.7824

A most emphatic NO! I use my minis out of town as much as, or more than in town.

The stated goal with this new patch was for us to be able to have our minis out all the time without having to re-click them at every portal. I’m gonna bug ’em until they get do that. If they remove my minipet, they can remove your Legendary weapon. THAT will save them some graphics resources.

People can hardly ever see ANY minipets anymore. The toons only have one “idle time” emote anymore. Nobody has any feet anymore. It seems to me the MegaServer has all sorts of resources available to it these days since it isn’t drawing half of what it used to.

I feel you actually. I always liked having minis around. Heck, I was one of those rare people who usually bothered clicking on minis to appear whenever I entered a new map. I am sad that most of the time my minis are hidden due to ‘’rising player population’’.

But, it seems the devs aren’t going to do anything about it, since it’s ‘’working as intended’‘. My suggestion is the result of something between sarcasm and disapointment. Don’t know how to explain. :d

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think probably the message is too generic. It should probably read, “display of miniatures has been turned off temporarily, due to the number of players in your area.”

Culling has always been about limiting what displays on your screen, so it has never mattered how many people are on the map: if you’re alone in a cave on a full map, there’s no need to reduce what you see; if you’re next to the only 25 people on a map, it probably makes sense to turn off some assets.

The thing that’s different about minis is that they tell us when those are about to vanish, whereas they don’t tell us when anything else gets culled. As a result, we notice it happening more often, when in fact, there was always some level of culling going on under the same circumstances.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Zlociutki.9165

Zlociutki.9165

Right now minis are restricted by server not game clinet.

If i will set Charactel model to minimum – then i shoudn’t see any mini or olny personal mini.
But if my PC i high-end i should be able to see minis of all players.

From the last patch:
“Miniatures are now culled by the Character Model Limit option in the Advanced Settings menu in Graphics Options.”

And it’s not working. – The whole system is bugged as hell.
In old system i could just turn on my mini and run around. Now i can;t.

Posted by: Natomi.9427

Natomi.9427

Agreed. This is definitely a bug. Same issue as OP, just been kicked from 2 maps due to low population but still could not see my mini. I have raised a bug report in game and a support ticket to have my main mini returned to the inventory until they can address this. Not heard anything from either however.

Posted by: Sawnic.6795

Sawnic.6795

Right now minis are restricted by server not game clinet.

If i will set Charactel model to minimum – then i shoudn’t see any mini or olny personal mini.
But if my PC i high-end i should be able to see minis of all players.

From the last patch:
“Miniatures are now culled by the Character Model Limit option in the Advanced Settings menu in Graphics Options.”

And it’s not working. – The whole system is bugged as hell.
In old system i could just turn on my mini and run around. Now i can;t.

They’re disabled regardless of your client settings because the server still has to compute their pathing, even if they’re not going to load for you.

Whatever guild I’m repping today [tag]
Borlis Pass’ official male cheerleader
Commander by title: Sawnec the Mesmer

Posted by: Dorid.1793

Dorid.1793

In addition on my new toon the mini pet disappear from its slot each time I relog or change map.
And in WvW my mini was following me without any problems and in PvE on empty maps mini was hidden.

Guild: Myth Andaar [MA]
“Rigor mortis, habeas corpus.”
GW2W: Dorid - Builds

Aapheus.5780

When they say it’s “working as intended,” I wonder if they understand the full import of their words. I get that they intended for minis to be disabled when there would be so many in a given area that it would cause significant performance problems, but in effect, what’s happening is that I (and obviously a lot of other people) haven’t been able to display my minis in any populated map at all. I have only been able to display them in instances where I am the only player, such as my home instances or the Hall of Monuments (haven’t tried it in a Personal Story instance yet, with or without party members). Whatever algorithm they’re using to decide when to disable minis is clearly too sensitive and needs to be tweaked. I don’t think they intended that minis now almost never be displayed.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

That’s ironic… “now you can display your minis every time you want, it has a slot like your gear” But so soon you enter a map that’s not an instance or a main city you can’t show your mini at all… So why the hell making them being persistent across zones and easily shown like a gear if it you can’t really show them?

Also, server needs to learn how to count. 1 or 2 players doesn’t mean rising population :P

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

There’s several bugs involving the mini wardrobe:
- They will often become permanently disabled or unselected after the system has hid them, requiring you to manually pick the mini again or check it for show. Which is actually way more annoying that when you could just use hem in your inventory.
- The system is not consistent on detecting how many other players are in the map, hiding them on maps that have a dwindling population.

This should be changed to make minis client-side for the player. So whenever they are hidden by the server, you and your party can still see your own minis, their movement faked by the client instead managed by the server.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

It seems to be working inversely from how it should. Minipets seem to appear just fine in cities but not outside them, when the reverse would make more sense.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Yeah, I’ve read a post by a dev that it’s working as intended. However, 90% of the time outside the cities, I can’t see the mini due to rising player population, even though there’s no one around.

AND YET, when I was waiting for Tequatl and the map was apparently full, my mini was shown right next to me. o.O

As far as your suggestion goes…….that seems to not only be what’s happening, but intended all along. I’ve only been able to summon a mini in a town such as Rata Sum even though there are a lot of players around and they too have their minis out. I can also summon my minis in a home instance.

It’s aggravating since they hyped up the new mini pet collection, achievements, and it not hiding after transferring maps. What’s the point of it not hiding anymore if you can’t use it outside a town or home instance anyway?

And to top it off they put the series 1 and 2 mini packs back in the gem shop so they could sell more of them along with a new mini 2 pack that has a Mini Chieftain Utahein and Mini Svanir.

I bought the new mini 2 pack and 2 packs of series 2. That was before I found out I can’t use them outside of towns. I’m not a happy camper. I had some gems I payed real money for.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

What I’ve observed previously is this:

• Minis will always display in cities, the Heart of the Mists, WvW maps and instances regardless of player population.
  • Minis will not display in any explorable map, regardless of player population.
  • Instead of being simply unchecked the mini will sometimes be removed from the box completely, meaning you have to re-find it in the list before you can get it out again.

Today the culling issue seems to have gotten a little better. I was able to display my mini briefly in Kessex Hills and it’s staying out in Wayfarer Foothills, both of which have several other players on the map.

I expect the “working as intended” message from some staff is either a misunderstanding (not everyone clarifies that they were on a virtually empty map when this happens and it is intended that minis will disappear if the map is nearly full) or not the full message – a friend told me one of the devs had posted on the german forum that it’s intended for minis to be hidden as population goes up but at the moment it kicks in far too early in explorable maps. The mechanics of it are working as intended but the end result is not.

Anyway I’m hopeful this will be fixed. I just hope it’s sooner rather than later. Running around without a mini feels very strange to me, I keep stopping to try and get it out.

Edit: Ok, so in spite of what I posted above this bug is still occurring:

Attachments:

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: Zlociutki.9165

Zlociutki.9165

I will not buy any more minis. Right now i have 1-3 collection and some noncollection.
If i can’t show them to others i will not buy them.
The previous system was better and somehow did not disturb the game performance.

Aapheus.5780

The 9/12/14 update seems to have fixed this issue, as far as I can tell so far. Anyone else?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I just did a very quick check, logging into 3 characters in 3 different explorable maps and my mini appeared on all of them.

I’ll want to try it for longer periods of time and on more maps before I’m convinced it’s working properly but it’s definitely an improvement.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

I have just played for around 4 hours or so in 3 different maps, my mini was there all time. It seems it’s fixed now.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

It does seem to be fixed finally. Thanks Anet. Took you long enough LoL.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Satay.2967

Satay.2967

Thank you for fixing this. We love our minis! ^.^

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

They are mostly back. Still bugged. Any time you make a Dye color change, your mini will disappear the moment you click APPLY.

They also disappear if you get into a big fight with lots of other people around. This is fine, and even sensible given all the confusion from particle effects these days. But they don’t want to come back again when things have calmed down afterwards. I waypointed across the map to a quiet spot, and still had to dig into my Hero Panel to reactivate my mini.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist