My game crashes every time I open the map

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Merphal.2897

Merphal.2897

Q:

Well, pretty much the title. Every time I open the map my game just closes, no error message or anything. Also, my mouse disappears sometimes.

This isn’t something that just popped out of nowhere, I played this game when it was released for like 8 months then I quit and now my friends bought it so I downloaded it and I’ve been having issues. I also switched graphics cards since the last time I played(over a year ago).

Could anyone help me out?

It’s probably a driver or DirectX issue or something since my specs are far from bad, I checked my GPU drivers and they’re up do date, and I do not know how to update DirectX, so if that’s the thing could anyone explain to me how to do it?

BTW Specs:

i5 3570k
16gb RAM @ 1600MHz
GTX 780 6GB
Maximus V Formula mobo
Corsair Force GT 120GB x2 in RAID0
WB Caviar Black 1TB (this is where the game is installed)
OS is Windows 8.1

If there’s anything else please let me know.

EDIT1: My DirectX is up to date, so I guess it’s not that.

(edited by Merphal.2897)

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

Well, to update your directX:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Give it a try and let us know..

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

Merphal.2897

Well, to update your directX:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Give it a try and let us know..

It said my DirectX is up to date, so I guess it’s not that. Any idea what else it could be?

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

Maybe it’s actually the fact that your drivers are up to date. Sometimes, one set of drivers just refuses to work with a single program; not the norm, but it happens.
Can you reinstall an older driver and try again? See if it helps?

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Merphal.2897

Maybe it’s actually the fact that your drivers are up to date. Sometimes, one set of drivers just refuses to work with a single program; not the norm, but it happens.
Can you reinstall an older driver and try again? See if it helps?

Installed a past version of the nVidia drivers, didn’t help…

Any other ideas as to what I could try?

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Does it happen only when you open map, or does it happen in other moments too? Also, can you tell what are your graphic settings in the game? Maybe it could help somehow. You said no error message or anything? Don’t you get that Error report thing?

If it’s only with map maybe your game files got corrupted. Try to repair the game (https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28148006-Repairing-the-Game-Client in case you don’t know how)

Merphal.2897

Does it happen only when you open map, or does it happen in other moments too? Also, can you tell what are your graphic settings in the game? Maybe it could help somehow. You said no error message or anything? Don’t you get that Error report thing?

If it’s only with map maybe your game files got corrupted. Try to repair the game (https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28148006-Repairing-the-Game-Client in case you don’t know how)

No errors or anything, not even the Error Report dialog. Also, I already tried repairing the client and it did not help.

What happens is, the first 30-ish seconds after I log in everything is fine, but then my cursor is becomes a black square thing or disappears (it varies, sometimes it turns into the black square and only then disappears – I can still press stuff but the cursor is invisible) and then if I open the map, the game just closes. Every other menu works fine and I can fight stuff or switch maps just fine – but my mouse is invisible and I cannot open the map.

EDIT: I think I should also note that League of Legends crashes at the end of each game (victory/defeat screen – not post game chat), and that Heroes of the Storm crashes after like 3-ish minutes of being in the client. Civ V has also been crashing from time to time, giving me a DirectX Render Error, all these issues started around the same time, I’m pretty sure.

(edited by Merphal.2897)

shadow.6174

Oh hmm, if other games are having issues too then probably it’s not specifically related to Guild Wars 2.

Ok let’s revise it. You said your graphic drives were up-to-date and it had issues. Also using a previous version didn’t help either… Have you done something with DirectX except checking if it’s up-to-date? Some graphic cards reinstall DirectX even though your current one is already up-to-date (maybe that’s why all the issues started at the same time). Maybe try to reinstall it or use a previous version? So far it sounds like some issue with DirectX maybe.

I have DirectX 11 (9.18.13.4752) here on Win 7 and I have no issues so far. No sure what’s the DirectX requirements for GW2 though.

Posted by: Woodani.2430

Woodani.2430

I’m having exactly the same problem as OP. It just started today for me.

Merphal.2897

Oh hmm, if other games are having issues too then probably it’s not specifically related to Guild Wars 2.

Ok let’s revise it. You said your graphic drives were up-to-date and it had issues. Also using a previous version didn’t help either… Have you done something with DirectX except checking if it’s up-to-date? Some graphic cards reinstall DirectX even though your current one is already up-to-date (maybe that’s why all the issues started at the same time). Maybe try to reinstall it or use a previous version? So far it sounds like some issue with DirectX maybe.

I have DirectX 11 (9.18.13.4752) here on Win 7 and I have no issues so far. No sure what’s the DirectX requirements for GW2 though.

I have the same version of DirectX, should I try re-installing my nVidia drivers??

EDIT: Uninstalled and re-installed my nVidia drivers and this still happens.

I’m having exactly the same problem as OP. It just started today for me.

I hope we can get this fixed!

(edited by Merphal.2897)

shadow.6174

Hmm, well then I’m sorry but I’m afraid I won’t be able to help anymore, I have ran out of suggestions Maybe you could try contacting Support, they could give some more help, or maybe wait for some other player come in with another options. Anyhow, good luck and I hope you get it fixed asap. I may come back around if I think or find out something else though.

Merphal.2897

Hmm, well then I’m sorry but I’m afraid I won’t be able to help anymore, I have ran out of suggestions Maybe you could try contacting Support, they could give some more help, or maybe wait for some other player come in with another options. Anyhow, good luck and I hope you get it fixed asap. I may come back around if I think or find out something else though.

Aight, thanks for the help! I guess I’ll have to contact support. I will update this with the solution if I get one.

shadow.6174

Nice, let us know if you find some solution. Also it could be useful for others who could have the same issue and ended here.

Posted by: Skiroid.3859

Skiroid.3859

Aight, thanks for the help! I guess I’ll have to contact support. I will update this with the solution if I get one.

Hi. Did you get a solution from support? I’m having the exact same issue (https://youtu.be/X96gYT4dwSc). I’ve contacted support although they’ve only told me to make sure my GPU’s drivers are up-to-date and to repair the game so far. Neither worked.

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Hi. Did you get a solution from support? I’m having the exact same issue (https://youtu.be/X96gYT4dwSc). I’ve contacted support although they’ve only told me to make sure my GPU’s drivers are up-to-date and to repair the game so far. Neither worked.

First off, please either remove the youtube clip, or block out your e-mail address at the beginning, its for your own secuirity!!

Second, im not a techi, so this is only a guess on my part, but try and see if it works.**
On the interface (F11 by default), put—-Refresh at 60hz—-Frame limiter at 30 (the human eye cant tell the difference, and stops the machine running away with-itself ie overheating due to frame rates)—Render sampling at Native. Mite want to have a look at the resolution and put it to what the native background is, on the proviso that it works with other games with no perceivable problems.

Guidance on how to repair the game via command line arguments from wiki http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#-repair

Anyway, hope that works, and good luck

**(this is only an attempted solution to that particular youtube clip and not the rest of this thread, sorry)

(edited by Shadey Dancer.2907)

Skiroid.3859

First off, please either remove the youtube clip, or block out your e-mail address at the beginning, its for your own secuirity!!

Second, im not a techi, so this is only a guess on my part, but try and see if it works.**
On the interface (F11 by default), put—-Refresh at 60hz—-Frame limiter at 30 (the human eye cant tell the difference, and stops the machine running away with-itself ie overheating due to frame rates)—Render sampling at Native. Mite want to have a look at the resolution and put it to what the native background is, on the proviso that it works with other games with no perceivable problems.

Guidance on how to repair the game via command line arguments from wiki http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#-repair

**(this is only an attempted solution to that particular youtube clip and not the rest of this thread, sorry)

Unless ArenaNet use bad security practices, I’m not too worried about my account being stolen with just my e-mail address.

Anyway, I’ve tried the game in windowed mode and limited my frame rate but that doesn’t seem to help. Are you joking about eye’s not being able to see beyond 30 fps? 10-12 fps is the point we perceive motion rather than individual images. Science hasn’t proven the limit at which we stop seeing smoother motion. 144 Hz monitors running at 144 fps does look smoother than 60 Hz monitors running at 60 fps. So the limit is somewhere beyond 144 fps.

I’ve done multiple repairs of the game and also reinstalled. Though it doesn’t help. OP mentions that other games seem to be playing up however games I regularly play such as GTA V, BF4 and The Witcher 3 are running completely fine for me. So I suspect this issue is limited to Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Unless ArenaNet use bad security practices, I’m not too worried about my account being stolen with just my e-mail address.

Anyway, I’ve tried the game in windowed mode and limited my frame rate but that doesn’t seem to help. Are you joking about eye’s not being able to see beyond 30 fps? 10-12 fps is the point we perceive motion rather than individual images. Science hasn’t proven the limit at which we stop seeing smoother motion. 144 Hz monitors running at 144 fps does look smoother than 60 Hz monitors running at 60 fps. So the limit is somewhere beyond 144 fps.

I’ve done multiple repairs of the game and also reinstalled. Though it doesn’t help. OP mentions that other games seem to be playing up however games I regularly play such as GTA V, BF4 and The Witcher 3 are running completely fine for me. So I suspect this issue is limited to Guild Wars 2.

Why do I even bother?

Skiroid.3859

Why do I even bother?

Add a /s at the end next time if you were being sarcastic with “the human eye cant tell the difference”.

Skiroid.3859

Just in case someone comes across this thread and has the exact same issue as shown in this video. Adobe Updater Startup Utility was causing it for me.

Press Windows+R and type in msconfig.exe. Under Startup is a list of programs which run when your PC starts. If Adobe Updater Startup Utility is there, disable it and restart your PC. Try Guild Wars 2 and see if the issue still occurs. If you don’t have Adobe Updater Startup Utility in that list or disabling it hasn’t fixed the issue, try disabling all the programs in that list and restart your PC. If the issue is solved, then something in that list is causing the issue. Go through the list of programs and enable them one by one. After enabling each one, restart your computer and try Guild Wars 2 until you find the one which is causing the issue then leave that one disabled and re-enable the rest. It’s possible multiple can cause it so just keep testing.

If the issue still occurs after disabling all the programs in the list, submit a request to Guild Wars 2 support explaining your issue and what you’ve tried to fix it.

Hope this helps someone.

(edited by Skiroid.3859)