New Player Experience Bugs - Multiple Characters

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Next

Hey, everyone. We’ve discovered a number of issues related to the new player experience, both bugs and things that are not working as intended, for players who have multiple characters. we are working on fixes for both.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

Posted by: weskay.9217

weskay.9217

When is the reset button being pressed? Most of the “features” associated with this patch was a mistake. You even have PC Gamer criticizing it.

www.vanquishing.enjin.com

Posted by: Arcanine.3928

Arcanine.3928

ArenaNet, if you had some sort of testing grounds, this could of all been avoided.

Posted by: Jinroh.4251

Jinroh.4251

Wait they don’t do testing of patches prior to release? That can’t be right.

Posted by: devnull.6085

devnull.6085

Why have test servers; most games classify themselves as BETA forever (7y Firefall).

I know, I know, GW2 is classified as release, but industry has been like this for years.

Posted by: OtakuDFifty.2965

OtakuDFifty.2965

I’d love to actually contribute some of my experience, but I’m honestly not entirely sure what is or is not intended, and I’m worried that “not working as intended” is code for “something we haven’t unnecessarily locked from you yet.” I mean, I was able to bring up the Inventory menu by pressing [I] even though no one told me how to do that. Is this an exploit?

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

Curious what things you consider issues.

Posted by: Tiborb.1453

Tiborb.1453

Is the level based weapon skills unlock a bug? It is right? RIGHT? >_>

[LOCK] The Closed Society – Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I hope bundle use is a bug.

Because really, some of the most impressive early level gameplay GW2 has comes from picking up items. Be they food for cows, be it temporary weapons which are more effective than your own (at lower levels, they always are!) or be it a diving goggle. This stuff makes people go :O and stick to the game.

I know it did for me back when I tried the game. This wasn’t a MMO I was sold on from the start, the levelling experience is what sold it to me.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

think about the cows, they are starving, in queensdale, we r doing all we can entertaining em! hurry up!

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

When is the reset button being pressed? Most of the “features” associated with this patch was a mistake. You even have PC Gamer criticizing it.

Please stop spreading misinformation. PC Gamer didn’t criticize it. PC gamer commented on the fan reaction to the patch and in that same article said that he hadn’t tried it yet. Reporting on fan reaction is not the same thing as criticizing the patch.

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

Hey, everyone. We’ve discovered a number of issues related to the new player experience, both bugs and things that are not working as intended, for players who have multiple characters. we are working on fixes for both.

I hope this also includes this huge arrow that shows above my (lvl 80) character’s healing skill everytime she is low on health (regardless of the compass/tutorial settings).

It get’s kinda annoying over time, because – believe it or not:

• I know how to heal after more than 2 years of playing this game
  • I can decide for myself when I want to use my healing skill AND
  • I definitely don’t see a reason for an arrow indicating I should use my healing skill while it is on CD

Apart from the unnecessary hand-holding aspect, this arrow distracts a lot from what else is happening on screen, because the eyes focus on it on reflex (the arrow is sliding from mid screen to the healing skill and jumps on it -> impossible to not look at it).

(edited by Rayti.6531)

Posted by: pachex.9723

pachex.9723

Gonna level with you Anet, I’ve been a loyal customer since the beginning of GW1, and this leveling system is hands down the biggest mistake you have ever made. Multiple characters aside, I wouldn’t want to go through this terrible system with my FIRST character. Honest to kitten, I would not have bought Guild Wars 2 if this was your leveling system at launch. Describing this as a “bug” doesn’t even BEGIN to do justice.

Posted by: Tyrantis.8640

Tyrantis.8640

I want this new “experience” to get rolled back. Most of the decisions are bad ones and we never asked for it as a community.

People will always complain, sure, but I have been behind you guys for almost every decision.

Level gated skills, gameplay is the exact opposite of what any player wants. If people quit at 13 it is probably because they aren’t MMO players to begin with, not because of a learning curve. I have taught 3 non-gamers how to play the game including my son. In fact, you even level gated the goggles which is something that got him into the game and he is only 10.

Remember ANets mantra was “If it isn’t Fun, then don’t do it.”

What the hell is so fun about these new experiences?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I just finished a key run, and I have to say I am enjoying the new leveling experience. The rewards are great! Lots of interesting implementations. Good work! =)

There is, however, a tool-tip bug when ‘unlocking’ banking. It directs you to ‘Deposit Collectibles’, rather than ‘Deposit Materials’.

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

Bug: When you go to the trainer in Queensdale the game thinks you’re a low level character and won’t let you buy traits (even when you’re level 80).

Posted by: Stephane Lo Presti

Previous

Stephane Lo Presti

Content Marketing Manager, French

Hi there,

We want you to know that we’re busy working on fixing bugs in the New Player Experience system. We’re also using this opportunity to make a few changes to its design to take into account the feedback we’ve been reading. We’re aiming to deploy the fixes early next week.

Thank you

(edited by Stephane Lo Presti.7258)

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

Hi there,

We want you to know that we’re working kitten fixing bugs in the New Player Experience system. We’re also using this opportunity to make a few changes to its design to take into account the feedback we’ve been reading. We’re aiming to deploy the fixes early next week.

Thank you

nooo dont ‘change’ more stuff!! think about the cows in queensdale!

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

We want you to know that we’re working kitten fixing bugs in the New Player Experience system. We’re also using this opportunity to make a few changes to its design to take into account the feedback we’ve been reading. We’re aiming to deploy the fixes early next week.

You’re fixing kittens? Should you let a veterinarian handle that?

On a serious note, thanks for keeping us informed.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

Kittens are excellent at catching bugs.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Hi there,

Thank you

Good to hear, I’ll hold further judgement till then in that case. Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Sgloomi.4103

Sgloomi.4103

I just wanna know what modifier of ‘working’ could possibly end up being censored to ‘kitten’.

My first two thoughts were ‘hard’ and ‘balls’ – which can just about to be made to sound dirty if you push the context, but obviously not.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I just wanna know what modifier of ‘working’ could possibly end up being censored to ‘kitten’.

My first two thoughts were ‘hard’ and ‘balls’ – which can just about to be made to sound dirty if you push the context, but obviously not.

It’s ‘we are working (with much effort…[enter your first word here]) on fixing….’

And that’s why it gets censored. =P

Posted by: tovadaun.6304

tovadaun.6304

I have found that the lack of Wiki page posting of the new unlocking has been a real issue. If we don’t know what we’re to have when, we cannot tell the difference between WAI and not.
Also, there are several severe issues of bugs (old and new) being reported that have not even had any kind of reply as of yet. That would be a start. Even as simple as a blanket reply, such as your blanket post here. Maybe one stating you’ve heard us, and are trying to correct some things. Right now, we have nothing but new Feature Pack bugs, old release bugs that weren’t addressed, and still nothing being said by anyone at ANet about any of it.
This is disheartening to the community.

Kitta the Conjurer, Guardian- At Your Service- Yak’s Bend
Stuff! Stuffy stuff stuff stuff!!

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

nothing being said by anyone at ANet about any of it.

But… you’re posting in a thread created by someone at ANet saying something about it.

Just because they don’t reply to bug threads doesn’t mean they’re not aware of them.

And when there’s 5 threads reporting the same bug, there’s even less necessity to respond to each.

tovadaun.6304

nothing being said by anyone at ANet about any of it.

But… you’re posting in a thread created by someone at ANet saying something about it.

Just because they don’t reply to bug threads doesn’t mean they’re not aware of them.

And when there’s 5 threads reporting the same bug, there’s even less necessity to respond to each.

This thread, which I specifically stated she had done, is to discuss “New Player- Multiple Character” bugs, etc.
There are still lots of other things going on other than these things.
Broken World events (2 days on a Dry Top event halting not only the event, but LS story progression)
Necro Minions (at ALL levels) dying on zone changes
And lots and lots of other things. None of which are listed several times. All of which have had nothing said about them at all.
What I had requested, in relation to the OP was some kind of Wiki Update to let us know what was to be unlocked when- so we know if these things are WAI or not as well as possibly something to let us know these other issues are even being addressed or not.

Posted by: Dexodrill.9415

Dexodrill.9415

Personally the changes made to the leveling are a slap in the face to players who leveled all there toon’s to 80. Its made worse by the consistent new player hints and the annoying messages of “There’s a Dodge event over here” and only getting a white item(Of course I understand why its a white item, this is intended for the new players but why am I at lvl 80 after 2 years being told to go and learn how to dodge?)… Why are we being told at lvl 80 how to heal, what utility slots are ect. And for that matter why are we basically being forced to Level a brand new character to get things for the collections… Iv already gotten very annoyed trying to help people level up with the new system.

Now I understand your trying to improve the new player experience but the changes have made me (a player of over 2 years now) feel like its a slap in the face. I dont get the credit to the collections simply because iv taken the time to max all my characters? And thus to get these things make a new character? If its impossible to give us the credit for what we have done(IE no system that can track what a player has done or not, as part of the story journal) then can we enable a way to replay story chunks so I don’t have to get that new character going?

Oh well raising these questions so that they can be talked about and worked on as a whole. I can bare with it and get past these issues, it just seems that they need to be defined by ANET clearly instead of simply not addressed.

Posted by: Sgloomi.4103

Sgloomi.4103

It’s ‘we are working (with much effort…[enter your first word here]) on fixing….’

And that’s why it gets censored. =P

And with the introduction of ‘on’, strangely enough, both of my thoughts would have been grammatically correct for what was possibly said. I’m a linguistic kittening genius!

(And just to edit my post as the red-tagged one did, I’m now gonna push kitten these keyboard buttons, and see if what I just typed turns it into ‘kitten’. And, if it does, point out that the contracted word is the one that should possibly be censored, should that be your bent, not the two discrete ones.)

(edited by Sgloomi.4103)

Posted by: Corpse Flakes.5369

Corpse Flakes.5369

Hi there,

We want you to know that we’re busy working on fixing bugs in the New Player Experience system. We’re also using this opportunity to make a few changes to its design to take into account the feedback we’ve been reading. We’re aiming to deploy the fixes early next week.

Thank you

Can you fix it so our mini isn’t hidden the same way our skins ect aren’t when we have minimal settings? Really something I’m upset about since the whole mini system barely works anymore

-BelieveGate-

Anet please nerf Paper, Scissors is fine -Rock.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I have found that the lack of Wiki page posting of the new unlocking has been a real issue. If we don’t know what we’re to have when, we cannot tell the difference between WAI and not.
Also, there are several severe issues of bugs (old and new) being reported that have not even had any kind of reply as of yet. That would be a start. Even as simple as a blanket reply, such as your blanket post here. Maybe one stating you’ve heard us, and are trying to correct some things. Right now, we have nothing but new Feature Pack bugs, old release bugs that weren’t addressed, and still nothing being said by anyone at ANet about any of it.
This is disheartening to the community.

Do you mean like this page: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Leveling#Leveling_up

or this one?: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Leveling_rewards

I’m not sure if that’s what you are looking for. Also, the Wiki can only reflect what the players find in-game, as it is created and maintained by the players. Until the Devs release (supposedly next week) the list of what’s intended and what is not, those that contribute to the Wiki can only post what is actually happening in-game at this time. =)

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

One thing I’d really like ANET to think of implementing is what someone on reddit suggested / brought up. The new dodge tutorial is cool, add something similar for the learning of combo field and combo finisher mechanics. This would be a huge help for new players.

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

The removal of bundle items from early level zones is a huge step into the wrong direction. I can understand simplifying things but what you have done is forgo logic and common sense to achieve that.

It makes perfect sense to use water buckets to water plants, what doesn’t make sense is you standing next to them magically revitalizing them. Also, how is entertaining a cow helping with the business of the farm in any way. If the feeding was too complicated then what was wrong wasn’t the act of using a bundle to feed a cow but how obvious the fact that said bundle was food is to new player (ie. you need to make the bundle look like something you would instinctively feed to a cow rather than a small brown pouch that could contain god knows what).

Just using the farm as an example here, like so many others. Why would you dumb down the early levels so much when you are simultaneously forcing them to go through with it before granting them access to personal story is beyond my comprehension. There is no point in delaying access if you simultaneously take steps towards trivializing the content that you offer in its place.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

What I had requested, in relation to the OP was some kind of Wiki Update to let us know what was to be unlocked when- so we know if these things are WAI or not as well as possibly something to let us know these other issues are even being addressed or not.

The wiki is mainly maintained by players and then there could be things that no one else but devs would know until it’s finally released. Then in this case it would take time until everything on wiki is up-to-date. Even the “latest changes” page in the wiki is just a reflect of patch notes published in forums, sometimes with some additions from players.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Don’t tell me I have to use a waypoint after I died.. not when all my charas are lvl 80 and I am playing since the beginning… noooo… :-(

Posted by: commnagrom.8637

commnagrom.8637

Would someone, ANYONE at arenanet be open to elaborating on what features are experiencing “issues related to the new player experience, both bugs and things that are not working as intended, for players who have multiple characters” and what features are working as intended? As a Veteran player (of both Guild Wars AND Guild Wars 2) I think we all deserve a little transparency on this particular issue!

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Can you please tell us if it is a bug that right after the patch…
1) as a necro you lose your summoned minions as soon as you are downleveled
2) as a mesmer you lose your third mantra charge (when traited harmonious mantra) as soon as you are downleveled
………………………….?

tovadaun.6304

Do you mean like this page: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Leveling#Leveling_up

I’m not sure if that’s what you are looking for. Also, the Wiki can only reflect what the players find in-game, as it is created and maintained by the players. Until the Devs release (supposedly next week) the list of what’s intended and what is not, those that contribute to the Wiki can only post what is actually happening in-game at this time. =)

Yes, both pages of which were modified 2hrs after my post. And Thank you!

tovadaun.6304

The wiki is mainly maintained by players and then there could be things that no one else but devs would know until it’s finally released. Then in this case it would take time until everything on wiki is up-to-date. Even the “latest changes” page in the wiki is just a reflect of patch notes published in forums, sometimes with some additions from players.

Which is my point.
They released it. We are playing it. With no idea at all what-so-ever what it WAI or not. If they do not give us a list of what we are to be gaining, and when (as I suggested for a Wiki update – ok, maybe that was too kind for some of you. Maybe I should’ve said Patch Note Release?) how do we as a Player Base know if what we are experiencing are bugs or WAI? There was nothing reflected in the Patch Notes. There was no addendum release for the new leveling system.
And you are all taking everything I’ve said and blown it so out of proportion and over the top and trolling-
We’ll keep our bugs or WAI breakages or w/e they leave us with.
I give up.

shadow.6174

Yes, I agree they changed a lot more stuff than what they announced in those patch notes or in the blog, several stuff was a surprise for the most. So yes, the most of them seemed like a bug when it was an intended but not announced behavior instead.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Which is my point.
They released it. We are playing it. With no idea at all what-so-ever what it WAI or not. If they do not give us a list of what we are to be gaining, and when (as I suggested for a Wiki update – ok, maybe that was too kind for some of you. Maybe I should’ve said Patch Note Release?) how do we as a Player Base know if what we are experiencing are bugs or WAI? There was nothing reflected in the Patch Notes. There was no addendum release for the new leveling system.
And you are all taking everything I’ve said and blown it so out of proportion and over the top and trolling-
We’ll keep our bugs or WAI breakages or w/e they leave us with.
I give up.

Chris already said they were making a post about it. I’m sure they will. The Devs don’t really mess with the Wiki. Stephane is the only one that sort of overlooks the Wiki, but doesn’t really edit it, I believe.

The Bug sub-forum is mostly looked at by Jeffrey, and he seems to be mainly concerned with the PS aspect of the game. You can find the Dev posts pertinent to your concern over in GD.

Good luck.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Yes, both pages of which were modified 2hrs after my post. And Thank you!

I believe those sections/pages might have been created before your post. Those Wiki enthusiasts are pretty avid! Lol.

shadow.6174

Those Wiki enthusiasts are pretty avid! Lol.

I know right! Yesterday I went to create a page for a red link I saw in the “Game updates” page and mins later I figured out the page already existed lol.

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

Stuff is getting fixed early next week?

Not good enough. It’s almost impossible to level to level 30 because of an experience bug, and the golem damage bug is ruining WvW mode. This stuff should have been fixed yesterday.

This patch should have never been released. Not only should most of these changes never been in the game in the first place, but the ones that do deserve to be in the game needed to implemented slowly over time. You guys tried to do way too much way too quickly, and you won’t be able to hide it with PR this time. This isn’t just the “usual bugs” that we see in every patch. Some of these bugs are gamebreaking. In fact, with the bugs that I’ve discovered over the last twelve hours, I now classify the 9/9 patch as being the BUGGIEST VERSION in the history of this game. Yes, even buggier than launch.

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

The removal of bundle items from early level zones is a huge step into the wrong direction. I can understand simplifying things but what you have done is forgo logic and common sense to achieve that.

It makes perfect sense to use water buckets to water plants, what doesn’t make sense is you standing next to them magically revitalizing them. Also, how is entertaining a cow helping with the business of the farm in any way. If the feeding was too complicated then what was wrong wasn’t the act of using a bundle to feed a cow but how obvious the fact that said bundle was food is to new player (ie. you need to make the bundle look like something you would instinctively feed to a cow rather than a small brown pouch that could contain god knows what).

Just using the farm as an example here, like so many others. Why would you dumb down the early levels so much when you are simultaneously forcing them to go through with it before granting them access to personal story is beyond my comprehension. There is no point in delaying access if you simultaneously take steps towards trivializing the content that you offer in its place.

Oddly enough, the first place I went when I created a new character was to go over to that farm. The bandits trying to burn the hay were currently attacking. Confused about how the hay was supposed to be doused without a water bucket to pick up, I ran over to a burning pile of hay and… interact button! Okay, that’s fine.

Except then when I interacted, I pulled a water bucket out of nowhere, doused it, and… continued to hold on to the bucket as a bundle. Oh, and the tutorial system didn’t pop up to tell me how to drop the bucket, so how is this suddenly less confusing for new players? Now they’re pulling magic water buckets from nowhere and needing to hold on to them until they figure out how to drop it, all the while probably getting murdered by bandits that they can’t fight back against because there’s no “hit with giant bucket” button.

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

I hope this also includes this huge arrow that shows above my (lvl 80) character’s healing skill everytime she is low on health (regardless of the compass/tutorial settings).

It get’s kinda annoying over time, because – believe it or not:

• I know how to heal after more than 2 years of playing this game
  • I can decide for myself when I want to use my healing skill AND
  • I definitely don’t see a reason for an arrow indicating I should use my healing skill while it is on CD

Apart from the unnecessary hand-holding aspect, this arrow distracts a lot from what else is happening on screen, because the eyes focus on it on reflex (the arrow is sliding from mid screen to the healing skill and jumps on it -> impossible to not look at it).

I couldn’t believe this was true so I went to Queensdale with my level 80 and lo and behold there’s an obnoxiously large arrow bouncing really high above my heal skill.

This was after I tried to get killed by a mob, which took me 5 minutes to just stand there and take the hits from until finally it got below the threshold. How are Queensdale mobs this weak? And I’m just a glass cannon mesmer. I thought the downleveling system was supposed to help with this. Wasn’t the whole point of this system that high level characters could still enjoy low level maps?

There is really no way to turn off the arrow?

In game tutorials should always have a “turn off” option and even new players should have the opportunity to turn these things off if they choose. That includes everything, hints, bouncing arrows, explaining features and markers in the game, everything. Most games with tutorials let you turn them off for a reason. They can be incredibly annoying and a complete immersion breaking addition.

(edited by Penarddun.6827)

Sokia.3710

I couldn’t believe this was true so I went to Queensdale with my level 80 and lo and behold there’s an obnoxiously large arrow bouncing really high above my heal skill

You should try going to the profession trainer in Shaemoor to learn traits. They tell you that you need more experience.

Posted by: Penarddun.6827

Penarddun.6827

On a side note, the rest of the updates are pretty great, especially the guild updates. I was looking forward to getting a joint guild bank with friends from other worlds for a long while now. And the trading post is definitely better. It will take some getting used to, but I can see it has been vastly improved.

I’m curious how different the reaction would have been had this update come out with everything but the leveling changes (and the removal of goggle interaction and underwater combat) in early levels. I bet it would have been a pretty big success and Anet would have gotten some great publicity.

The increased level gating of weapon skills, utilities and especially the F1-4 skills really destroyed the morale of the community, understandably, and the success of an otherwise nice feature update.

shadow.6174

Now they’re pulling magic water buckets from nowhere and needing to hold on to them until they figure out how to drop it, all the while probably getting murdered by bandits that they can’t fight back against because there’s no “hit with giant bucket” button.

lol that’s completely immersion breaking and more confused indeed.

And to add more to the failures list of this new system, see the pics attached:

• 1: the shinny new “GPS” thingy (or whatever is it called) is incentivizing me to explore the outside of the map. How amazing :P
  • 2: How humiliating for a lvl 80 to hear they aren’t experienced enough for getting more learning… :P

You should try going to the profession trainer in Shaemoor to learn traits. They tell you that you need more experience.

Hehe yes, see my 2nd pic.

On a side note, the rest of the updates are pretty great, especially the guild updates. I was looking forward to getting a joint guild bank with friends from other worlds for a long while now. And the trading post is definitely better. It will take some getting used to, but I can see it has been vastly improved.

I’m curious how different the reaction would have been had this update come out with everything but the leveling changes (and the removal of goggle interaction and underwater combat) in early levels. I bet it would have been a pretty big success and Anet would have gotten some great publicity.

The increased level gating of weapon skills, utilities and especially the F1-4 skills really destroyed the morale of the community, understandably, and the success of an otherwise nice feature update.

Yes, let’s make justice here. Some other aspects of the new patch are great yes. But this faulty New Player Experience system alone has smudged and obscured the other nice features.

Attachments:

(edited by shadow.6174)

shadow.6174

Another screenshot, this time at Timberline Falls the guide wanted me to go off map again.. lol

Attachments:

Sokia.3710

In regards to your first pic, I believe there is a hidden cave not too far from there. You actually can go in that direction. Sort of.