Personal Story - Gone from UI

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Nick.9517

Nick.9517

OK, so I know I’m a little behind on this. I recently started a new semester at school and haven’t been able to play for a while. But, as a long time player(from gw1) and a gem buyer I have to say that I am thoroughly upset at the way guildwars has handled this. I’m aware that some people may find in frustrating to not be able to keep playing the story quest. My answer to them is to hold off on the story quest if you want to play it in clumps. Do not force the rest of us who enjoy intermingling story and the mmorpg world to play like these impatient gamers. This is would be like giving loud soccermoms the right to run the town council. It would lead to all of us playing their game….not soccer. I implore…neigh I beg you guildwars…Do not let wining get in the way of freedom. Lest soccer turn into checkers….with pads.

Posted by: tirenareikasu.8915

tirenareikasu.8915

I too miss how the Personal Story used to go, and I really miss the Fear story arc as it REALLY gave my character more to his story.

Sad to see what I loved most about the Personal Story was taken away, but as they say: “The squeaky wheel gets the grease.” Enough people were complaining and in doing so, they get their wishes made. The downside to giving them what they want, is they upset the majority.

Please Anet, give us a cookie or something =(

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Do not force the rest of us who enjoy intermingling story and the mmorpg world to play like these impatient gamers.

Good point…

Before, both types could be pleased. The impatient ones could just hold and do something for leveling up (that’s not hard as there was a lot of stuff out there to help with it) and then play the story in chunks if they wish; those who liked playing it in bits and not worrying about having to stop it due level could simply also go to do something else and enjoy some exploring.

Now, both types are forced to wait and forced to level up through the way “they” want us to do, as result the last type get annoyed and upset. In fact, they are now forcing us more to play as they think we should.

(edited by shadow.6174)

Posted by: TscNightmare.8467

TscNightmare.8467

Wow, ok, so I just bought Guildwars2 – 3 weeks ago and i’m nearing the end of the story and it just didn’t make any sense. So I go online and find all these posts. What is Anet waiting on?? This should of been fixed within the week. This makes your game look broken and incomplete. The way the story seemed to work before sounded way better. Please stop trying to make a clone of Wow and stop streamlining stuff. The games been extremely easily compared to Guildwars 1 with a lot less deph. Not sure how much longer i’ll last playing this.

shadow.6174

Wow, ok, so I just bought Guildwars2… (sip)

First of all, welcome to GW2. If you want to know more about this subject and other changes check this thread https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-Coming-to-the-NPE/. It’s a long one though but there some more things about this there.

Posted by: w kipp.1046

w kipp.1046

If this is how they have changed the story to group by levels then I will go back to playing other games. I enjoyed progressing at my own pace not at the pace of those around me. I tried “the champions train” and it got old fast. I like following the storylines but also enjoy advancing so that I could go back and explore the various realms at my leisure. I had the same complaint with World of Warcraft and their legendary quest line. I am more than happy to take my business elsewhere.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

What really rankles me the most is how they cut out a large chunk of the Orr storylines. In doing so it bypasses story steps that take the player to Fireheart Rise and Mount Maelstrom, and we miss out on meeting crucial story NPCs that explain a good deal about why we’re doing what we’re doing in Orr.

I’d like the “My Greatest Fear” and “Assault on Orr” to be restored to what they were, and then the final attack on Zhaitan to be moved to a new Chapter 9, if necessary.

shadow.6174

I enjoyed progressing at my own pace not at the pace of those around me. (…) I like following the storylines but also enjoy advancing so that I could go back and explore the various realms at my leisure.

Agreed. This is the point.

Posted by: shewolf.2817

shewolf.2817

I really don’t play this game often and when I do, it’s as a stress reliever. Given the huge gaps in my play time, this new update sets me at a disadvantage. The story lines being set every few levels reminded me of what I was supposed to achieve. I would do the other quests just to level up to my story line. Now I don’t even know what level my story line is and now have no goal to work up to because it doesn’t show up. I’m very disappointed with this update and it really makes me consider just removing the game. It wasn’t broken before the update….. please revert to the last update.

shadow.6174

Hey, just a reminder… my main’s Personal Story and any alts are in hiatus until something is done about this mess… -_-

Posted by: MilanaMill.9342

MilanaMill.9342

I never comment to forum either but now I just have to. This decision is just horrible. It’s awful and makes me wanna scream.

lemme break it down to you. I’m a player that mainly plays for story instead of just the sake of action. In the past I found the story pace very satisfying. Between story quests I could explore a little bit of world and lvl up, take a break from story and then go back to it. Story and side quests would also often go hand in hand so the story would usually lead me to the new places to explore. I was able to take my sweet time helping around other places, exploring or just going back to old places to farm.

Now I feel like I’m suddenly forced to explore a way lot more, a way more faster. For this reason I’ve noticed that exploring no longer feels fun or exiting just something I must do. I cannot even take my sweet time with side quests or farm because I’m so busy at trying to get as much XP as I can. I also feel confused by the world, what to do now, where to go next? Everywhere I turn there is a new undiscovered location and I keep losing track of what to do. I can be in the area for lvl 16 and suddenly find myself wandering in lvl 25 area. It feels even worse because I do the whole chapter in few hours and then I have to spend countless of hours to try to lvl up just to get to the story. It’s especially more irritating since people have school and job so time to play is limited.

This is really bad for new players as well especially to those who’re new to games in general, especially to MMOs. Now after tutorial you just kick people out, expect them to know what to do. They’ll be really confused and alone, no way to know what to do. Previously it was fine. Saying “hey why don’t ya help these few people around here, ‘cause they really need it and after you’re done you could come back to me and I’ll help you to know what to do next ok?” Now it’s more like “Yea well here’s a map, here’s people who need help. Just go out there, I’m sure you’ll be just fine and I’ll call you someday”

yep no good at all.
Instead of the playing feeling rewarding than it used to, it now feels we’re being punished for some reason. Also lvl up gets harder and harder towards the end which takes you even more far away from the story.

I have spoken.

shadow.6174

I have spoken.

And spoken very well…. +10 to it

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

From the update notes:

Personal story steps have been more clearly broken up into chapters that unlock every 10 levels so that each chapter can be played through immediately once it’s unlocked.

You might have been on a story step that is now in a chapter that isn’t unlocked yet. It’ll be visible once you reach the correct level.

We need direction.

My living story has green checkmarks all the way through, but ONLY season 1 says it is completed – HOW do we tell which aren’t done and WHY is it *so hard* to find what is NOT done?

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There is no Season One in the Story Journal, afaik.

If a chapter has the Gold Medal filled in, it is completed. Same with checkmarks, I believe.

Since Season Two and Three are replayable, they will always be accessible.

shadow.6174

Season One is in Story Journal but as Scarlet story if I recall right. And it only points you to a NPC at Lion’s Arch for a recap, not replayable chapters as Season Two and Three though.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh, well there you go.

The rest still stands. Just as with Season One (just went and looked), if you mouse-over the medal/gold icon, it states whether it’s been completed.

Posted by: Moderator

Locking this up to avoid further necroposting