Personal Story skipped Source of Orr

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: acekc.5290

acekc.5290

I’ve been working on unlocking traits for one of my alts and I noticed that the trait associated with completing “The Source of Orr” personal story mission hadn’t unlocked. When I went to look at the alt’s personal story I discovered that I was well past where Source of Orr should have been (on Ossuary of the Unquiet Dead) but I had never played Source of Orr on this alt.

Generally this alt’s story missions line up exactly with the wiki, but the level 70 missions are very different. According to the wiki, the Part 7 story missions are:

Forging the Pact
The Battle of Fort Trinity
Against the Corruption
Cathedral of Silence / Romke’s Final Voyage
The Source of Orr

However, my alt’s missions for Part 7 are:

Forging the Pact
Shell Shock
Fixing the Blame
Marshaling the Truth
Battle of Fort Trinity
Delivering Justice

As mentioned previously I’m already well into Part 8, so I should definitely have played this mission by now. Normally I wouldn’t care but I don’t think I should be required to spend skill points and gold on a trait unlock since I never had the opportunity to complete the required personal story mission.

I suspect that this was some corner case side effect of ANet’s re-jiggering of personal story missions. Does ANet intervene in situations like this? I have eight level 80’s and have never seen anything like this before.

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

You can’t go by the Wiki, since it’s showing the (restructured) story step order. If you were in Chapter 8 when “The Source of Orr” got moved to Chapter 7, you’ll still get that step near the end of Chapter 8.

acekc.5290

Thanks for the quick reply. I decided to play as far as I could in Chapter 8 to see if Source of Orr was there. It wasn’t, and I’m now being told that my next mission is Victory or Death a/k/a Kill Zhaitan a/k/a Arah Story Mode. The trait associated with Source of Orr is still locked.

For the record here’s a list of my Chapter 8 missions:

Temple of the Forgotten God
Close the Eye
What the Eye Beholds
Starving the Beast
Ossuary of the Unquiet Dead
Further Into Orr
Marching Orders
Armor Guard
The Steel Tide
Victory or Death (listed as current mission, haven’t completed)

Posted by: mower.3740

mower.3740

I have the same issue. My alt never got the source of orr series.

According to my story journal I went:

The Battle of Fort Trinity
Liberating Apatia
Temple of the Forgotten God
Close the Eye
What the Eye Beholds
Estate of Decay
A Grisly Shipment
Further into Orr
Marching Orders
Armor Guard
The Steel Tide
Victory or Death

I haven’t proceeded with any other alts as I have no idea if I’m going to get everything or not.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

We’d really appreciate a straightforward answer about this, Jeffrey. There’s a HUGE ongoing thread on the General Forum about the restructured Personal Story (link at the end of this post).

Does ANet know about our concerns and are there any plans in the works to re-include or revert the Personal Story changes? There are a lot of players, myself included, who are afraid to continue with our PS for fear of permanently missing out on experiencing game content.

If the new system is intended to stay and there are no plans to change it, could you at least let us know so that we aren’t just waiting in vain for an answer?

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/My-Greatest-Fear-Plotline/page/8#post4550992

Posted by: wetwillyhip.7254

wetwillyhip.7254

Guys explain to me if this has happened to you but this occurred to me last night:

I finally finished Source of Orr (end of Chapter 7). Killed the eye, Trahearne finished the purification ritual.

Next thing you know, I’ve now been pointed to go to Arah to complete the storyline dungeon. I looked in the story journal and it’s called “Victory of Death”.
I completed Arah story dungeon and that’s it. Personal story is done.

Looking at the wiki, I’ve completely missed all the missions for Chapter 8. I was never pointed to complete any of them.

What is going on here?!? Anyone else have this issue?

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

this is obviously a huge bug, please fix it! thanks!

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Did you play “Source of Orr” with another player as the person who started the story step, and accept their progress? At the end of “Source of Orr” it does a check to see if the story owner completed “Temple of the Forgotten God” (i.e. they’ve played chapter 8 already) and sends them to the final step IF they already played it. If they haven’t played that step, it sends them to that step so they won’t miss any of the Chapter 8 steps.

Posted by: wetwillyhip.7254

wetwillyhip.7254

No I did not play with another person. However, I did play the Arah Story a long long time ago before I even got to completing Source of Orr in the personal storyline.

Once I completed Source of Orr for the first time, like I said, I got pointed straight to Arah Story dungeon.

(edited by wetwillyhip.7254)

Posted by: mower.3740

mower.3740

Did you play “Source of Orr” with another player as the person who started the story step, and accept their progress? At the end of “Source of Orr” it does a check to see if the story owner completed “Temple of the Forgotten God” (i.e. they’ve played chapter 8 already) and sends them to the final step IF they already played it. If they haven’t played that step, it sends them to that step so they won’t miss any of the Chapter 8 steps.

I didn’t. Everything was done solo.

acekc.5290

Jeffrey,

Your most recent reply appears to be to wetwillyhip. I’m sure he appreciates the support, but his issue is different from the one that generated this thread. I want to hopefully ensure that this thread doesn’t get hijacked and the original issue ignored.

Two of us in this thread (mower and myself) were never given the opportunity to play Source of Orr. I can’t speak for mower on the second point, but my own alt therefore has a locked trait that can’t be unlocked.

If your question is a reference to the original issue, then mower has already answered. My answer is no as well: All of my personal story missions were completed solo. I would think that if I had played Source of Orr with another player and accepted the progress that I would have gotten credit for the trait.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

What is going on here?!? Anyone else have this issue?

What’s going on is just side effects of a stupid mess made for NPE’s sake, unneeded changes or fixes for things that weren’t broken in first place -_- (Sorry, no offense intended) And with all respect Jeffrey, I’m sorry but whenever I see posts from you trying to explain how PS steps should be I get more and more confused, it clearly shows me something wasn’t well planned and executed here. It just drives me nuts to read “oh, did you play with someone else and accept progress? If so it would put you in the same next step as them” (or something like that). Sense and logic has been denied… -_-

Posted by: Teratus.2859

Teratus.2859

I’ve been playing the story mode through myself lately on an Alt

frankly im quite annoyed by the reconstructed personal story
it doesn’t work

there are soo many conflicting things about NPC’s I’ve not even met yet

during the purification of Orr celebration at fort trinity the Largos comes and talks to me about how good a team we’ve all been etc and then in the very next mission im introduced for the first time to her…
and characters being morned that I never met nor will meet since they missions they were in have been apparently removed from the game.. dubbed fear missions
this reconstructed personal story is a complete mess and has ruined it for me

I don’t know why it was shuffled around like this but I don’t like it.. it screws with NPC’s and the ingame dialoge and it makes no sense now

Lets skip all of orr and fly an airship in to clense the land
totally works out ok
do arah story mode and oh look he’s got a fleet of Dragon champs.. that conviniently were unavailable when we were uprooting the source of his power in Orr..

it makes no sense and without redesigning these missions to fit it just breaks the personal story

it was much better the way it was before.. they way it was originally designed to be
you cant just shuffle a few missions around… remove some of them and not expect some pretty ugly conflicts regarding plot advancement…

I hate saying negative things about this game and the people who work soo hard to keep making it.. but changing the personal story like this was a really stupid idea and I strongly advise changing the mission order back to the way it was and reintroducing the cut missions

(edited by Teratus.2859)

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

it makes no sense and without redesigning these missions to fit it just breaks the personal story

Noooo, no redesign, no for using amendments in order to get it to make some sense but better reverting it to what it was before while no better idea comes up…