Personal story

Personal story

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Optophobia.8519

Optophobia.8519

Hi,

I was doing the 2nd episode of the Personal Story chain, together with an engineer. I was joining in on his quests. We both selected the Circus option on character creation. Everything went fine(we both progressed on the quests) until we had to defeat ‘The Ringmaster’. Upon completion I was given the option to Accept the progress. Even though I confirmed, nothing happened. Now the quest shows up as incomplete(only in my case) and I have no option to zone-in and finish it.

Personal story

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

What do you mean by it “shows up as incomplete”? The Ringmaster is the final story step in the L20 storyline, so the next story step won’t show up until L30. If you’re <L30, you won’t have an active story step.

Personal story

Optophobia.8519

It shows up as active. In the upper right corner there’s the “star/portal” thingy guiding me towards my next objective, which in this case is at Uzulan’s mechanical orchestra, but there’s no portal to zone in and actually complete the quest.

Personal story

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

What’s your current story objective? Can you get a screenshot and post it? Maybe you’re mixing up the Living Story and Personal Story steps?

Personal story

Optophobia.8519

I’ve attached the most relevant image.
Two more can be found here: http://imgur.com/PXiHTjF&euets2O&nftf52W (one with the view of the map and one with the view of the story journal)

Attachments:

(edited by Optophobia.8519)

Personal story

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Maybe he had to read the mail first to progress that part leading up to the actual instance?

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Personal story

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

Maybe he had to read the mail first to progress that part leading up to the actual instance?

Exactly. The issue is that the mail isn’t sent until L30 (since it starts the Chapter 3 storyline) but the final step of Chapter 2 for that storyline is “Read your mail.” It’s a holdover from before the storylines were divided into 10 level chunks, but once you reach L30 you’ll get the mail and be able to proceed normally.

Personal story

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Would separating out the next chapter’s elements from the previous chapter be worth looking into?

In the above case, the particular story step he’s on could’ve been added to the beginning of the next chapter which would then show the level in the top right. This could prevent confusion with players wondering why their story isn’t progressing.

Personal story

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

Sadly, it’s not as easy as it sounds. There is a way to fix the errant step, but a side effect is that any player currently on the “Read your mail” step step would be rolled back to the start of “The Ringmaster.”

Personal story

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

This very same problem was showing up in the spanish forums a few days ago. We figured out that it was a leveling issue and the players with problems could complete the story after they were 30 without issues.

Maybe just editting the mail text could be an easier fix, Jeffrey, something like “This step will be unlocked after levels 30”

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

(edited by Elrey.5472)

Personal story

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Maybe just editing the mail text could be an easier fix?

When do you send it? The mail is currently sent at L30 (hence the problem.) If we send it at the end of “The Ringmaster,” players that have are currently on the “Read your mail” step will have already done it, so they won’t get the mail. Text changes also need to go through localization so they’re translated into all supported languages. Like I said, something that sounds simple often isn’t. (I hope I don’t sound argumentative, I’m just trying to point out that small changes can involve bigger issues.)

Personal story

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

I get it, my bad for not thinking enough on the topic.

I don’t know if you can modify stuff this way, but maybe (maybe, as in just a suggestion):

• 1: You could change the code enough to send the mail as last step of level 20 instead of waiting for level 30. This change would automatically fix the problem for characters that didn’t complete The Ringmaster already so it’s fixed forever.
  • 2: And then create some code that would also send the mail for the players that already did complete The Ringmaster and hence the automatic mail wouldn’t show up:
Made Up Code

if character.story.step.TheRingmaster == True and character.level < 30:
SendMailNow(whatevercodenamegotthatspecificmail)

No need to go through localization, and no idea if this could work, but well, it’s just a suggestion, i’m bored and that 2 steps should cover both the players that didn’t get to that step yet and also the ones that already did.

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

(edited by Elrey.5472)