Please fix my chat resetting

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I have 2 accts that use the same gw2 log in client and this issue occurs on both of them. I have repaired my client and it didn’t fix it, although it does seem to happen less frequently now, say 1-2 times a day instead of 6 times a day as before.

Basically, out of the blue, my chat will reset, losing all chat history. It especially happens frequently in the guild hall. This is really frustrating, particularly when doing guild missions and explaining what needs to be done to ppl who aren’t on voice chat. You spend 10 min explaining how to do guild trek to a first timer for eg: and poof, chat resets and you lose everything you just said. What adds to the problem is that it doesn’t seem be happening to everyone.

For me, this has bee going on for months now and i’ve bee hoping each patch it would be fixed but so far it hasn’t. I don’t even see it listed on known issues, so that explains why it hasn’t been addressed.

Plz devs look into this as soon as u can, thanks.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Have you tried clearing your GW2 cache? (Instructions found via the ‘Support’ link above/below and ‘Search – Troubleshoot TP’.) Might not do anything, but one never knows. As it doesn’t seem to crop up for many players, it may be one of your files.

Good luck.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

What chat was it? By chance was it Party chat? Well, I have been suffering a similar issue for months. Out of nowhere the game would put me “offline” without a disconnect, but then I would get a message telling me that my friends came online (but they already was), that I’m no longer in a party and then all party chat vanishes, as if I had left the party and then joined again. At the same time, the guild chat would spam the Message of Day again, as if I had just logged on or swapped guilds.

Tiger Ashante.1792

What chat was it? By chance was it Party chat? Well, I have been suffering a similar issue for months. Out of nowhere the game would put me “offline” without a disconnect, but then I would get a message telling me that my friends came online (but they already was), that I’m no longer in a party and then all party chat vanishes, as if I had left the party and then joined again. At the same time, the guild chat would spam the Message of Day again, as if I had just logged on or swapped guilds.

Yes exactly that, but it doesn’t matter which chat i’m in, it happens in any. i’ve been whispering ppl when it happens, guild chatting, map chatting it happens on any and even when i haven’t used the chat for a while, but guild chat seems to reset most frequently for me, probably coz i use that the most idk.

I used to get lot of game messages, “cannot connect to the guild server” at the same time, but that happens less lately and it usually separately to the chat reset now.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Happens with me, with Party and Guild chats. Also what’s annoying is, because I have separate chat tabs, if someone says something in Guild, and the chats reset before I have chance to switch the tab to see what they said, it’ll permanently flash red as unread, meaning I have to delete the chat tab and make a new one.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

penelopehannibal.8947

Also, when it happens, the player seems to involuntarily go offline and back online immediately to other players’ logs.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

shadow.6174

Yes exactly that, but it doesn’t matter which chat i’m in, it happens in any. i’ve been whispering ppl when it happens, guild chatting, map chatting it happens on any and even when i haven’t used the chat for a while, but guild chat seems to reset most frequently for me, probably coz i use that the most idk.

I used to get lot of game messages, “cannot connect to the guild server” at the same time, but that happens less lately and it usually separately to the chat reset now.

Also, when it happens, the player seems to involuntarily go offline and back online immediately to other players’ logs.

From my observations the chat getting reseted isn’t the issue, but a consequence of something else. The fact is that party chat gets reseted when a party is broken/undone (chat vanishes when you switch tabs after leaving a party). Therefore, as can be noticed by what described it seems somehow the game disconnects from the chat server, what causes it to think that we left parties and such. Such behavior can be noticed with the notifications of all friends going offline and back online all at once.

One day when it happened I told a friend that was in party with me that the game showed they went offline, but I was told they were fine and for them it was me who went offline. In fact, what seems to happen is part of the game, some underlying functionality, disconnects but not enough to cause a full DC or crash.

Usually when it happens the party chat gets like (figurative info):

00:01am: Me: (some chat)
00:02am: Someone else: (another chat)
00:03am: Shadow is (or You are) no longer in a party.
00:03am: User_in_FL.0000 is offline.
00:03am: Another_in_FL.0000 is offline.
00:03am: User_in_FL.0000 is online.
00:03am: Another_in_FL.0000 is online.
00:03am: Shadow has joined a party. <- all these happens at once

And then if I switch tabs only the online/offline and “no longer in party” notifications stays, all other chat gets cleared.

I have meant to report this issue for months now but I kept forgetting it.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Is it possible that you are changing chat tabs? That makes it look as if you “lost” previous chats until you swap back. (I did that a few times before I learned to select my primary chat tab before worrying about whether there was a bug.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

penelopehannibal.8947

And then if I switch tabs only the online/offline and “no longer in party” notifications stays, all other chat gets cleared.

Yeah you’re right, it’s like a DC. I don’t know about others, but happens to me around 4 or 5 times a day. Happens to both party and guild chat, and when the mini DC happens, my guild’s Message of the Day re-emerges in my guild chat tab, as if I’ve only just come online. I am on the Mac Beta, if that’s any use.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Tiger Ashante.1792

Is it possible that you are changing chat tabs? That makes it look as if you “lost” previous chats until you swap back. (I did that a few times before I learned to select my primary chat tab before worrying about whether there was a bug.)

Not in my case, it seems to have nothing to do tab switching.

shadow.6174

Not in my case either. In fact, the chat vanishes after I switch tabs, like I described before. If I switch it before those notifications everything is fine, but when than happens the chat vanishes when switching from and back to.

shadow.6174

Yeah you’re right, it’s like a DC. I don’t know about others, but happens to me around 4 or 5 times a day. Happens to both party and guild chat, and when the mini DC happens, my guild’s Message of the Day re-emerges in my guild chat tab, as if I’ve only just come online. I am on the Mac Beta, if that’s any use.

Yup, I think I forgot to mention about the Message of Day poping up again in guild chat. it happens to me too. By the way, not in Mac here, then can discard that possibility.

Tiger Ashante.1792

Could we please get acknowledgement from someone at ArenaNet that at least they’ve seen this thread and are looking into these problems?

Even today, i went to do the guild rush in Southsun Cove and my chat reset once again just as i was about to launch the mission and when i then opened the Mission tab, it was completely blank. I was forced to leave the map in order for missions to reappear in the guild panel.

This is getting very frustrating. I don’t know if you realize just how hard it is to rally people to do this guild rush, everyone hates it and then having to deal with this kind of problem discourages them even more. I would appreciate it to at least know these issues have been noted and are being investigated.
Thanks

shadow.6174

Could we please get acknowledgement from someone at ArenaNet that at least they’ve seen this thread and are looking into these problems?

Even today, i went to do the guild rush in Southsun Cove and my chat reset once again just as i was about to launch the mission and when i then opened the Mission tab, it was completely blank. I was forced to leave the map in order for missions to reappear in the guild panel.

This is getting very frustrating. I don’t know if you realize just how hard it is to rally people to do this guild rush, everyone hates it and then having to deal with this kind of problem discourages them even more. I would appreciate it to at least know these issues have been noted and are being investigated.
Thanks

Well, maybe filling a Support ticket could draw their attention to this?