QA Testing

QA Testing

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: yononan.8931

yononan.8931

Hello,

This isn’t a bug report… but I have to explain:

I ran into a weird bug at the end of the Tangled Paths LS… basically you get stuck behind an invisible wall and can’t progress any further. What makes this one really special is that you go through a really annoying set of steps (don’t want to spoil anything for anyone) but it takes a while let me just tell ya. Only at the end does this bug show up which makes it even more special. OK I thought… I’ll just try it one more time. Probably just glitched out.

It happened AGAIN. You could imagine at this point I wanted to throw my mouse into my screen but I held back. I checked online… maybe my computer is to blame. Nope. Apparently there is a YouTube video of this with hundreds of views and so I am obviously not the only one. This YouTube video shows a workaround… which I was lucky enough to pull off before throwing my mouse into my screen.

Furthermore, this is not just some obscure side achievement but a main LS with even a Mastery Point attached to it… you would think QA testing exists for this kind of thing? I found a 2 month old forum post as well bringing up the same problem.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Tangled-Paths-stuck-in-wall-bug/first#post5724551

I’m wondering how a high priority quest that people pay gems for that involves mastery points and is super lengthy and annoying has one of the most ridiculous bugs (basically trolls you RIGHT at the end saying HAH! go back to start for no reason and do this most annoying maze again)… goes unfixed for so long?

I almost quit this game right there. I should’ve… I anticipate this won’t be the first time I get a brain aneurysm.

QA Testing

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You make it sound like a hundred views is a lot of views. Yes it’s a known bug. However, it’s never happened to me or my wife.

One of the problems with testing is you get a certain amount of time to test everything. So if that doesn’t happen to you, you just play through the scenario.

I mean if a couple of hundred people are testing there’s a chance it doesn’t happen to anyone. Maybe it only happens to 1 in 1000 people or one in 10,000 or one in 100,000. We don’t really know.

Saying that testing should catch something like this is all well and nice, but very often, things that are intermittent or don’t happen often won’t be caught in testing.

This the precisely the type of bug that will often get by testers.

Not to mention when testing software, there are bugs that occur in the live server that never occur on the test server.

QA Testing

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It looks like a bug report, couple with a complaint about how how long it takes some bugs to get fixed.

I’m wondering how a high priority quest that people pay gems for that involves mastery points and is super lengthy and annoying has one of the most ridiculous bugs (basically trolls you RIGHT at the end saying HAH! go back to start for no reason and do this most annoying maze again)… goes unfixed for so long?

It’s a reasonable question and the answer isn’t as simple as “well if it costs gems…” Developers look at all sorts of things, primarily:

• how many people are affected?
  • how badly are they affected? i.e. is it annoying or is it game breaking?
  • is there a work-around?
  • does it have economic implications?
  • do we know why it happens?
  • does the potential fix affect other things?
  • and sure, did people pay gems for access

And so on.

There’s no software in the world without bugs and every company has it’s own process for prioritizing and resolving bugs. Gaming software tends to have more bugs (for the reasons Vayne states among others) and so new content comes out before old bugs get resolved, which means they fall in priority relative to newer problems.

I almost quit this game right there. I should’ve… I anticipate this won’t be the first time I get a brain aneurysm.

Yeah, I hear that. I try not to worry too much about bugs — something happens, I try a different way or do something else for a while. Even so, I’ve run into bugs in this game that drive me nuts.

tl;dr
I’m sorry that this bug blocked your progress and I hope that you can step around the issue the next time, so that it won’t also block your enjoyment. Bugs are, alas, a fact of gaming, though, so as you say: this won’t be the first or the last one.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

QA Testing

Posted by: yononan.8931

yononan.8931

It looks like a bug report, couple with a complaint about how how long it takes some bugs to get fixed.

It’s a reasonable question and the answer isn’t as simple as “well if it costs gems…” Developers look at all sorts of things, primarily:

• how many people are affected?
  • how badly are they affected? i.e. is it annoying or is it game breaking?
  • is there a work-around?
  • does it have economic implications?
  • do we know why it happens?
  • does the potential fix affect other things?
  • and sure, did people pay gems for access

And so on.

There’s no software in the world without bugs and every company has it’s own process for prioritizing and resolving bugs. Gaming software tends to have more bugs (for the reasons Vayne states among others) and so new content comes out before old bugs get resolved, which means they fall in priority relative to newer problems.

Yeah, I hear that. I try not to worry too much about bugs — something happens, I try a different way or do something else for a while. Even so, I’ve run into bugs in this game that drive me nuts.

tl;dr
I’m sorry that this bug blocked your progress and I hope that you can step around the issue the next time, so that it won’t also block your enjoyment. Bugs are, alas, a fact of gaming, though, so as you say: this won’t be the first or the last one.

I think I see what you guys are saying. I guess it’s just that all of the ways this particular bug screws you over just makes it really really annoying… I wish it was fixed but I get that they have priorities.

No brain aneurysm yet heh.

QA Testing

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think I see what you guys are saying. I guess it’s just that all of the ways this particular bug screws you over just makes it really really annoying… I wish it was fixed but I get that they have priorities.

No brain aneurysm yet heh.

It is absolutely annoying to suffer these sorts of bugs. And yeah, I wish they wouldn’t happen and I wish they could all get fixed more easily. (While we’re wishing, maybe we can wish for lottery wins for both of us on the same day, with different lottos.)

Anyhow, glad you aren’t also suffering an aneurysm — a hospital bill would just add to the frustration

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

QA Testing

Posted by: GM Awesomeness

GM Awesomeness

Self Help Administrator

I just wanted to let you know that this IS being worked on. We don’t have a fix yet, but we’re working on it.