Random disconnection after story mission

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Venumpty.6025

Venumpty.6025

Q:

This issue has repeatedly happened to me within the past weeks. I’d complete a 15-20 minute or more story quest. Right after the closing cutscene or dialog, it would randomly disconnect me from the server. (I know this is not a problem with my router because it has happened the exact same way 3 times at different times as well). I would immediately log back in and my progress would be wiped and I’d have to do the entire mission all over again. What’s peculiar as well is after doing it again, the mission ends just fine. I really want a fix to this problem as I have lots of story left to do and don’t want to deal with this throughout the whole thing.

Posted by: sunshineguinn.5128

sunshineguinn.5128

I’ve been having this issue as well, for roughly the same period of time. It has occurred on multiple characters and across personal, living, and Heart of Thorns story instances. It always seems to happen towards the end of an instance, as Venumpty stated. I spent a few long periods in a story instance the other day, working in one area to complete an achievement. I didn’t get kicked at all, though I was also not progressing the story at the time and the achievement took place towards the first part of the instance.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If you only get disconnected in the story, try running the game on port 80 or 443, or use a VPN:

Gw2.exe -clientport 80

(I know this is not a problem with my router because it has happened the exact same way 3 times at different times as well).

It’s probably not a problem with your router, but that doesn’t mean it’s not. Your router could be killing connections that match a certain packet sequence for example, which is going to cause you to disconnect every time something specific happens. This is far more likely to be caused by your ISP however, since they may be trying to throttle certain types of traffic and something in GW2 just happens to match. This is where port 80 or 443 may help, or using a VPN to encrypt the connection.