Ranger Pet's

Ranger Pet's

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Polar.1705

Polar.1705

Ranger pets not getting opening strike with Alpha training Trait.

River Drake-Turning backwards or not moving into range when casting lighting breath.

Ranger Pets not responding properly when using special abilities like having to press hot-key multiple times to make the ability go off.

Pets not attacking commanded targets or moving into range.

Pets stat’s are not scaling properly to mitigate condition or elemental/AoE damage.

Pet’s running to a random target/initiating combat when Call of the wild is activated (Warhorn #5 Skill)

When pet is casting an ability and target runs behind pet, Pet remains stationary and wastes the special ability.

(edited by Polar.1705)

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Liliana Moore.4237

Liliana Moore.4237

Please fix dead ranger pets and make them lie prone in place where they actually died. This is really frustrating when i want to revive downed player I press F and in the same time dead pet run in the way and I end up reviving the pet.

These pets are more distracting than helping.

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: PFoster.3648

PFoster.3648

There appears to be another bug with pets: I charmed a Juvenile Raven but it is not showing up on my list of available pets. In fact – I’ve charmed several “juvenile” creatures traveling around the starting areas & none of them are showing up

Ranger Pet's

Polar.1705

New bug I have noticed lately is

Lick my Wounds is not functioning properly and is extremely inconsistent.
the pet will if in a downed state rez and run over to where your downed body is however it will not assist in anyway to getting you back on your feet. This skill was working fine previously i just noticed it within the last day or so messing up.

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Kaladias.1984

Kaladias.1984

Also flying pets waste a lot of time before attacking. My raven and owl like to do pre-fight victory circles before moving in to attack… This is often frustrating when I’m being attacked by multiple enemies, and I am distracted by the fantastic aerial acrobatics of my pet.

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Volatile.1934

Volatile.1934

Can we also make it so that Ranger pets keep their names? It’s frustrating when you name your Pig Sir Francis Bacon, but the next time he’s summoned, he’s just Juvenile Pig once more.

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Dhara.8716

Dhara.8716

Can we also make it so that Ranger pets keep their names? It’s frustrating when you name your Pig Sir Francis Bacon, but the next time he’s summoned, he’s just Juvenile Pig once more.

THIS x 1000 please! It’s a quality of life issue but very annoying. I realize this is probably far down on the list of things to fix, though.

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Bagarn.9278

Bagarn.9278

the pet will if in a downed state rez and run over to where your downed body is however it will not assist in anyway to getting you back on your feet. This skill was working fine previously i just noticed it within the last day or so messing up.

This happens very often in sPvP, maybe 1/10 times the pet will actually try to revive me.

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I wrote this is another thread, but I’ll add them here as well so other Rangers can see.

These are some mistakes I found with the pets:

• Lynx F2 bleed skill adds 4 stacks, the skill says 2.
  • Alpine Wolf’s F2 skill lasts around 3 seconds, the skill says 4½.
  • Snow Leopards F2 skill says it lasts 2,1/4 seconds, but it’s actually 7 seconds.
  • Marsh Drakes F2 poison skill lasts for 13 seconds while the skill says 3½ seconds.
  • Blue Moas F2 skill lasts about 4 seconds, the skill says 10 seconds.
  • White Moas F2 skill says it’s a regeneration skill, when it’s a chill skill. Also, the duration of the skill is only lasts around 1 second, which is extremely short for a chill effect.
  • Black Bears F2 skills says it lasts for 11,1/4 seconds, but it’s closer to 10 seconds.
  • Arctodus F2 bleed skill doesn’t say that it adds 2 stacks.
  • Lashtail Devourers F2 bleed skill doesn’t say it adds 6 stacks.
  • It doesn’t say how long the Hyenas F2 skill lasts.
  • Owls F2 skill lasts around 5 seconds, the skill says 3½.
  • The Eagles F2 bleed skill doesn’t say it adds 2 stacks (same with the Hawk).

Overall, I think you need to check all the pet skills again, not just the F2 skills.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

(edited by Kasama.8941)

Ranger Pet's

Kasama.8941

This happened to me as well in beta. But your pet can be interrupted, though, making it stop reviving you until you press Lick Wounds again. So if you’re being attacked, that’s why.

“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: lirrink.6904

lirrink.6904

I posted something too because, with me being Ranger only just about, its frustrating me sometimes that my pet does not do what I tell it to do and it ends up making me die.

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

@Kasama, could you please add some [enter]‘s or even * or – in that listing, it’s dang hard to read and the way it looks now i feel reluctant to even start to read it…

also, some ranger issues are being dealt with in the 8 or 9 sept. update, as can be read in the patch notes.

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

Ranger Pet's

Kasama.8941

@Kasama, could you please add some [enter]‘s or even * or – in that listing, it’s dang hard to read and the way it looks now i feel reluctant to even start to read it…

also, some ranger issues are being dealt with in the 8 or 9 sept. update, as can be read in the patch notes.

Sure thing.

-Alexander Pope

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

Tnx that is much better

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: moonslightv.6704

moonslightv.6704

Most of these pet and ranger issues is what is keeping me away from playing my ranger more often. Until these issues on this thread is fixed, i’ll stick with my guardian and warrior.

Ranger Pet's

Polar.1705

This happened to me as well in beta. But your pet can be interrupted, though, making it stop reviving you until you press Lick Wounds again. So if you’re being attacked, that’s why.

Yeah however when using this ability the mob was not attacking me or my pet but a teammate of mine and it would just run to me and do nothing. However as of late it seems this issue was fixed for me since it has not been happening lately

Ranger Pet's

Polar.1705

So after reading patch notes and seeing some the Ranger pet’s bug fixes. I noticed pet abilities still take A ton of presses to work murellow is one I notice the most generally have to click it 5 times before it will activate. One trick I did learn to make it go faster and this also works with all pets is (un-target and re-target the mob or make pet return for like 1 sec then attack and cast the pet skill) this will help to speed up the cast time of the special ability.
Also a comment on ranger pets new revival system. In case you haven’t read it i will post it again.

-Pets can no longer be revived using the “F” prompt. This is because you can either use F4 to swap pets which will bring that pet back alive or you can wait until you are out of combat at which point you pet will revive automatically. We felt it was doing a disservice to Ranger players to incentivize them to spend a long time reviving their pet when it was a very inefficient thing to do and happened after combat anyway. This will also help clear up “F” to interact functionality.

This is fine however for PvE boss encounters pets will die almost instantly to boss mechanics one example is Explorable mode AC Lt Kohler fight. he will throw out his leash move that you HAVE to dodge or you will die. Pets do not have a dodge mechanic so will instantly die to that boss every single time because they get sucked in no matter what which results in your pet being dead majority of the fight. so you swap to the new pet only to get him sucked in as well and instantly die. once that happens the result is you sitting and waiting for the passive rez of the previous pet before you can use them again. I have discussed this will many people and some say pets are just a bonus and we don’t need them to keep our dps up and others say ranger’s dps has alot to do with the addition of pet dps. I however don’t really care either way other than I feel a rangers pet being dead for majority of boss fight mechanics is a broken system and I feel bad for the ranger’s that enjoy playing with the beast mastery trait tree considering their pets are dead.
A couple fixes to the above issue i can think of is-

• Make it so pets do an automatic dodge roll when you dodge roll.
  • (this fix is drastic but I personally would love to see it done and it was like this in GW1 in a sense) Change out or add a trait/skill/toggle that allows the ranger to remove the requirement of pets. If such a thing would happen i wouldn’t be opposed to changing the way beast-mastery trait works and making it so you can go pet-less like a lone-ranger type trait tree.

I would like to see an option added to turn on or off pets however I am not sure what i would like to see for our F1-F4 abilities if pets are off. Some support or added kiting mechanics would be nice to make up for the loss of special pet skills.

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Melana.8345

Melana.8345

Even after the update, the Blue/Rainbow Jellyfish will not interrupt their auto-attacks to do their F2 skill (Chilling Whirl) most of the time.

The only time their F2 skill works reliably is when I begin the fight with their F2 skill (they’ll use it reliably if they’re not yet attacking). Otherwise I’ll end up pressing F2 (I’ve tried activating it both by keybind AND by mouse click) between 5-15 times before they’ll actually bother to stop and use it. The skill flashes to show it got queued…but they won’t use it. Instead of activating it they usually stop what they’re doing, hang in the water motionless for a second, then go back to auto-attacking. Half the time when they finally do get around to actually obeying the command, the enemy is already dead.

Their unresponsiveness has been driving me a bit crazy. The other pets I’ve used haven’t been quite so bad, but those jellyfish are just awful in terms of responsiveness (though they survive really well, so I’d like to be able to use them properly).

Edit: Are pet skills queued with the Ranger’s skill queue? If so, that may be part of the problem with Jellyfish – their auto-attack is pretty slow, and by the time they’ve finished it my ranger has activated 2-3 of their own attacks…if the Ranger’s attacks are overwriting the queued request for the Jellyfish to use it’s special it may explain the poor responsiveness. But if that is the case, it desperately needs changing, because the Ranger’s auto-attack will just keep overwriting the request to activate the pet special all the time – pets are supposed to be in addition to the ranger, not the ranger having to cancel all of their own attacks in order to get the pet to work!

Despaired Ranger: Crafted The Dreamer, lost range, lost GS condi damage for synergy.
Pet AI awful. Sword root+Aussie latency unmanagable. Lost playstyle, lost legendary, given up.
Mell: 80 Asura Guardian (+7 other 80s) | Aus Serenity [AUS] | Jade Quarry

(edited by Melana.8345)

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Cybermystic.9158

Cybermystic.9158

THIS x 1000 please! It’s a quality of life issue but very annoying. I realize this is probably far down on the list of things to fix, though.

Even though it’s probably a low priority, I hope this does receive some attention. When I was playing another class I always wondered why rangers didn’t seem to be very creative in naming (everyone was running around with a Juvenile _ _ , named exactly as tamed). With a ranger of my own, now I know why. It’s very frustrating to name a pet, only to have that name disappear on shuffle. I read somewhere else about database size concerns; but in a game this complex, surely a little item like name permanency wouldn’t overload the system.

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Mullins The Great.8297

Mullins The Great.8297

Also flying pets waste a lot of time before attacking. My raven and owl like to do pre-fight victory circles before moving in to attack… This is often frustrating when I’m being attacked by multiple enemies, and I am distracted by the fantastic aerial acrobatics of my pet.

That circle is the animation of them giving you a speed buff. It’s not a bug.

Ranger Pet's

Mullins The Great.8297

So after reading patch notes and seeing some the Ranger pet’s bug fixes. I noticed pet abilities still take A ton of presses to work murellow is one I notice the most generally have to click it 5 times before it will activate. One trick I did learn to make it go faster and this also works with all pets is (un-target and re-target the mob or make pet return for like 1 sec then attack and cast the pet skill) this will help to speed up the cast time of the special ability.
Also a comment on ranger pets new revival system. In case you haven’t read it i will post it again.

-Pets can no longer be revived using the “F” prompt. This is because you can either use F4 to swap pets which will bring that pet back alive or you can wait until you are out of combat at which point you pet will revive automatically. We felt it was doing a disservice to Ranger players to incentivize them to spend a long time reviving their pet when it was a very inefficient thing to do and happened after combat anyway. This will also help clear up “F” to interact functionality.

This is fine however for PvE boss encounters pets will die almost instantly to boss mechanics one example is Explorable mode AC Lt Kohler fight. he will throw out his leash move that you HAVE to dodge or you will die. Pets do not have a dodge mechanic so will instantly die to that boss every single time because they get sucked in no matter what which results in your pet being dead majority of the fight. so you swap to the new pet only to get him sucked in as well and instantly die. once that happens the result is you sitting and waiting for the passive rez of the previous pet before you can use them again. I have discussed this will many people and some say pets are just a bonus and we don’t need them to keep our dps up and others say ranger’s dps has alot to do with the addition of pet dps. I however don’t really care either way other than I feel a rangers pet being dead for majority of boss fight mechanics is a broken system and I feel bad for the ranger’s that enjoy playing with the beast mastery trait tree considering their pets are dead.

• (this fix is drastic but I personally would love to see it done and it was like this in GW1 in a sense) Change out or add a trait/skill/toggle that allows the ranger to remove the requirement of pets. If such a thing would happen i wouldn’t be opposed to changing the way beast-mastery trait works and making it so you can go pet-less like a lone-ranger type trait tree.

I would like to see an option added to turn on or off pets however I am not sure what i would like to see for our F1-F4 abilities if pets are off. Some support or added kiting mechanics would be nice to make up for the loss of special pet skills.

In WoW, there was a similar problem for a very long time. The fix? Make all pets attack the back of enemies unless it was a solo encounter. So if you were fighting a boss, your pet was always on the butt of the boss. This keeps them out of harms way, but with the amount of AoE bosses can dish out, it doesn’t make your pet completely invulnerable. Also, pet special abilities should be Auto Cast, having to micro manage one skill that a lot of times doesn’t even work till you spam the skill about five times is just not efficient at all.

Ranger Pet's

Mullins The Great.8297

I agree. This breaks immersion so much. I love making my pets personal and disappearing pet names is bad. Also, in the pet management screen, you should see all your pets by their pet names, not “Juvenile” whatever.

Ranger Pet's

Mullins The Great.8297

Even though it’s probably a low priority, I hope this does receive some attention. When I was playing another class I always wondered why rangers didn’t seem to be very creative in naming (everyone was running around with a Juvenile _ _ , named exactly as tamed). With a ranger of my own, now I know why. It’s very frustrating to name a pet, only to have that name disappear on shuffle. I read somewhere else about database size concerns; but in a game this complex, surely a little item like name permanency wouldn’t overload the system.

I agree completely. A small line of text isn’t going to gorge the database. If that was the case, WoW would have had that problem about 10 million times more.

Ranger Pet's

Mullins The Great.8297

F2 skills should just be auto-cast. That’s the easiest and most effective fix to the skill not working. F2 pet healing abilities just need to auto cast when someone within range is at ‘x’ amount of health. This would solve a lot of problems.

Ranger Pet's

Mullins The Great.8297

One other thing, pet’s need a buff bar above their frame. I like to know what my pet has on it, whether it’s a buff or debuff. You can click on you pet to see, but in the middle of a fight this is hardly feasible.

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Punjoke.6013

Punjoke.6013

Even after the supposed fix, getting a pet to use their F2 ability is so difficult that the abilities are next to useless. The only way to consistently get my pets to use their ability is to literally hold the button down, and it still takes on average 5 to 10 seconds to go off! In order for these abilities to ever be useful, they need to go off RIGHT when you press the button, NO exceptions. Even if the pet is in the middle of another attack animation (because a lot of pet animations are unnecessarily long, such as the birds.)

They also need an auto-cast toggle; the eagle’s bleed has a 6 second cooldown, there’s no need to make someone press F2 every 6 seconds (assuming the skill even went off every time you pressed the button.)

Ranger Pet's

Polar.1705

Even after the supposed fix, getting a pet to use their F2 ability is so difficult that the abilities are next to useless. The only way to consistently get my pets to use their ability is to literally hold the button down, and it still takes on average 5 to 10 seconds to go off! In order for these abilities to ever be useful, they need to go off RIGHT when you press the button, NO exceptions. Even if the pet is in the middle of another attack animation (because a lot of pet animations are unnecessarily long, such as the birds.)

They also need an auto-cast toggle; the eagle’s bleed has a 6 second cooldown, there’s no need to make someone press F2 every 6 seconds (assuming the skill even went off every time you pressed the button.)

Also on top of the multi pressing of the F2 skill to make the ability go off you also have to watch out for not spamming the button to much and when the ability actually starts to cast you turn it off by pressing the button again on accident.

I also agree on the toggle auto-cast feature. Or they need to rework some of the pet special abilities having to press a skill every 6 seconds does seem extremely annoying a skill like that specially if its a bleed and not a utility should not be considered a special attack.

however i was reading other posts and i do not agree with the F2 skills just being set as an auto attack at all times. utility pets for an example would be always using the ability at the wrong times or when you really don’t need it like at the start of a fight. PVP’rs would have the biggest problem with this. An example would be spiders with paralyzing poison going off when you really didn’t need to interrupt or immobilize someone at that time. then when you really need it, it would be on CD.

I played wow as well and I played a hunter on there and seen how the pets go behind the target mob when they can to dps. I feel that was a good fix for wow because of all the cleave damage the bosses had there. however in this game a lot of the boss mechanics are based around dodge rolls because the AoE effects pull you in or pin you down. so a pet being behind the target would still die anyways. however i do recall WoW adding passive AoE damage reduction to pets. I could see that being a solution to the problem but it would have to be balanced out because I think a pet running through volleys from arrow-karts etc without taking damage would be broken and unbalanced as well.

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Shael.4703

Shael.4703

Please fix dead ranger pets and make them lie prone in place where they actually died. This is really frustrating when i want to revive downed player I press F and in the same time dead pet run in the way and I end up reviving the pet.

These pets are more distracting than helping.

Umm… I don’t think that is a bug. It was programmed as intended. I can’t remember the exact explanation why they have to move when they’re “downed” (not really dead).

But I agree, I think it is better to have an option to let them stay where they are. Yep, I said an option because other players will surely not like it.

My blog/sites: gameshogun & Tomes of Knowledge

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

2 biggest issues for me ( and they’ve both been said) are the lack of response when using the F2 skill and constantly pulling out “Juvenile” pets instead of the personalized and witty named one I had 15 mins ago. The idea of the Ranger, as opposed to the Necro, is that it’s a nature lover and forms bonds with animals. Tough to form a bond with my faithful hound when he constantly becomes just another juvenile pup. And the pet skills are the defining characteristic to Rangers…they’ve gotta work properly.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Alex.1547

Alex.1547

The game doesn’t seem to be storing the names which I deem suitable for my menagerie of creatures. This is very distressing for my slaves pets who are becoming more and more uncontrollable as they don’t remember their correct names.

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: VooDooU.4891

VooDooU.4891

I agree. This breaks immersion so much. I love making my pets personal and disappearing pet names is bad. Also, in the pet management screen, you should see all your pets by their pet names, not “Juvenile” whatever.

holy crap I hate to have to keep naming my pets every time I use a different one >.<

Ill add this here as well although I have another thread for it. Search and Rescue is sometimes not working. I used it more than twice in a personal story (the big dragon on claw island) and the two times I used it during the actual dragon fight the pet would just so hover over my friends body and not do anything. They stopped attacking but just wouldn’t rez her.. and because of where she died I ended up soloing the dragon for her…

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

-snip-

I have discussed this will many people and some say pets are just a bonus and we don’t need them to keep our dps up and others say ranger’s dps has alot to do with the addition of pet dps. I however don’t really care either way other than I feel a rangers pet being dead for majority of boss fight mechanics is a broken system and I feel bad for the ranger’s that enjoy playing with the beast mastery trait tree considering their pets are dead.

Pets are the Ranger Mechanic. To be in a situation where Pets are unavailable is quite litterally to remove the class power. Every class has their thing that makes them unique and powerful and Pets are ours.

Now, that isn’t to say that adding in something, like Elementalists have attunments and Engineers have bundles, wouldn’t be well received. You can have your pets, OR you can do this. That could be cool too. Though I suspect that’s where the nonbeast master traits are intended to take your character.

Ultimately, I love the idea of your pet dodging when you dodge. That potentially fixes the problem, while also forcing Rangers to pay more attention to their pets. Do you want to complete that channel, or do you want to lose it and dodge so your pet doesn’t take the incoming hit? That’s fun gameplay.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

Ranger Pet's

Kal Spiro.9745

I came to this forum for this issue specifically. I don’t change up my pets now because I don’t want to have to remember their names each time I bring them out again.

Also, I suspect the labeling in the management screen may be a symptom of the problem. It’s displaying the name that it has for them, which ends up being the name they have when you select them, rather than the name you want them to have.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

Ranger Pet's

Kal Spiro.9745

-snip-

In WoW, there was a similar problem for a very long time. The fix? Make all pets attack the back of enemies unless it was a solo encounter. So if you were fighting a boss, your pet was always on the butt of the boss. This keeps them out of harms way, but with the amount of AoE bosses can dish out, it doesn’t make your pet completely invulnerable. Also, pet special abilities should be Auto Cast, having to micro manage one skill that a lot of times doesn’t even work till you spam the skill about five times is just not efficient at all.

The problem is, this doesn’t work for most rangers who are ranged. My pet is my tank. His purpose is to keep the attention of the mob so I don’t need to be near it. Also, this wouldn’t work since the event that is the problem is specifically the solo encounter. Normal mobs and Veterans aren’t an issue to keep my pets up, it’s the bosses that can quite litterally kill my pet in one shot that are the problem.

The issue with F2 command, I believe, is an issue with queuing. You can’t queue powers and unless the power is channeled, which pet standard powers do not seem to be, or your primary attack it can’t be interrupted by other powers. Therefore if your pet is trying to do a different power when you hit F2 nothing happens. What they need is some sort of queue, so that when you hit F2 it sticks the power at the end of the sequence so that as soon as it finishes doing whatever it was doing it immediately does F2.

Ranger Pet's

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

Lick My Wounds has an unintended consequence that people who feel it is doing nothing might have missed. When you are in a down state and your pet is still attacking, the pet can be tanking. Lick My Wounds will revive a dead pet or instantly bring your pet from wherever it is to your side. It does this by resummoning it – BUT- it is resummoned with zero aggro on the surrounding enemies, making YOU the #1 target. So, as soon as you click Lick My Wounds, the health benefit from your pet is offset by the newly directed damage at you.

Whether this is how it is intended to function in a real life scenario or not will have to be a question answered by a developer.