Repair is downloading ~25GB

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Morte.5916

Morte.5916

Hi,

I’ve had GW2 installed for several months. It has had the occasional crash, and I’ve either run it with -repair or said yes to the “would you like to repair” prompt. In these cases, it has always downloaded a few MB as one would expect.

This morning (not after a crash) I got the repair prompt, said yes, and the game downloaded about 25GB which took around six hours. I played for 2-3 hours, and it crashed on an area load, and then tried to again download 25GB on restart (I stopped it for now).

Surely a repair tool should not be doing this.

Here is the crash.dmp file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80519209/Crash.dmp

My system seems to be in good working order, no apparent disk issues.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The other thing that can cause this is a RAM issue.

If you run it with the -verify option it should give you a VerifyResults.log file in the same folder as your Screenshots folder. Might be one in there already.

Posted by: Morte.5916

Morte.5916

Poking around in my AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2\ArenaNet.log I found a message from the time of the crash. It starts:

• Crash <—*
    Assertion: A file was corrupted in the archive. Please run once with ‘-repair’!
    File: ..\..\..\Game\Main\MainCli.cpp(622)

I don’t have that file now, I imagine it was removed by the subsequent repair process. There’s an 823kb file CorruptArchive.log with the same timestamp.

I don’t know how big the corrupt MainCli.cpp should be, but I can’t imagine it needs a ~25GB download to repair it.

[In case it’s not clear, I’m not reporting file corruption as a bug — that happens. I’m reporting the 25GB download to repair one file as a bug.]

Anyhow, I’ve decided since it insists on the 25GB download I may as well try for a clean slate first. I uninstalled GW2 via the control panel and renamed the AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2 folder since it wasn’t removed by uninstall. I’m now running the installer and leaving it to download overnight (I’m in Britain).

Here’s hoping…

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

MainCli.cpp is not a file in the archive. It is just the location in the source code that detected the error and generated the error message.

CorruptArchive.log would be more likely to contain the list of corrupted files.