Right mouse button targeting

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Alex.5349

Alex.5349

Hey everyone!

Something really annoying here, and as I think it’s not intended, I’ll post it here in the bugs section.

Whenever I am playing, either PvE or PvP, I sometimes randomly target something else, be it friend or foe.
Took me a while to figure out what was causing this. Eventually I noticed that the right mouse button targets, just like the left mouse button. In my honest opinion, this is completely unnecessary, and besides useless, also very annoying. More then once I let my entire burst into nothingness because of this.

I’m playing Elementalist S/D, and for example: In Air there are some skills that only hit when targeting the enemy player, but if there is no enemy targeted, it will still fire, miss completely and ofcourse get the full cooldown… Is this also intended? ( Auto target is off )

I thouhgt the Right MB targeting ’’bug’’ could just be checked off / disabled or changed via the control settings, but there is nothing there about targeting with the mouse. Create such an option and I’ll continue being happy!

Alex.5349

Discuss!

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I COMPLETELY agree.
Every time I click and hold the right mouse button to take control of the camera I end up targeting whatever was under the cursor when I clicked. Right click shouldn’t target when it’s purpose for pretty much all players is to function as the camera control…. This can actually be really crippling when you’re in the middle of an intense battle, auto target is off and your sudden change in camera control leaves you targeting an ally… kitten.

Posted by: kaioshade.7682

kaioshade.7682

I actually like the right click targeting. I tend to play with the mouse the majority of the time. Using the right click to auto attack an enemy is something that I would miss severely, if it was removed from the game. Perhaps an option to toggle right mouse button usage would be better.

Alex.5349

I actually like the right click targeting. I tend to play with the mouse the majority of the time. Using the right click to auto attack an enemy is something that I would miss severely, if it was removed from the game. Perhaps an option to toggle right mouse button usage would be better.

True, ofcourse there are people that like this mechanic. But there are also people who find this an obstacle.

A nice solution would be a toggle on or off!

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I agree with this.

I rotate my camera quite a bit while playing, and often times I end up targeting things that i would prefer not to.

Not only is that annoying…. but occasionally I right click on the “Push F to interact” bubble and end up talking to an npc or doing something dumb while simply rotating my camera.

For a targeting system that is based on your field of view… you need to rotate the camera to the desired position anyway.

Please change this, and at least give us the option to change the way the right mouse button functions with these features (targeting/interacting)

Alex.5349

Thank you so far! I’d still like to hear more opinions. Hopefully they will notice this issue and fix it in the near future!

Keep ’m coming!

Alex.5349

Cough … Bless me.

( Obvious Bump )

Posted by: Prevvy.1936

Prevvy.1936

Toggle right-mouse click to select (on/off) Please add this in near future!!!! 900hrs+ gameplay and this is one of the few things that annoy me all the time!

Prevvy Hyperion | [VII] Seventh Legion | [dF] Driven By Fury

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

Complaints and requests for options re this issue have been ongoing for months. As far as I’ve seen, all it’s received is a remark from a mod regarding it being something that would be passed along to the devs, but nothing that was on the table currently.

To me, this is a terrible mechanic. Due to its obnoxious habit of causing frequent inadvertent target changing—not something ANYONE wants—coupled with its functional redundancy (we have a left mouse button that does the same thing), I, for one, would rip its heart out in a nanosecond.

I have yet to hear any peep as to why this function was thought necessary to include in the first place. What does it do that can’t already be done with the left mouse? And didn’t anyone during Alpha even think, “Gee, this thing changes my target all the time when I don’t want it to. Maybe we should, I dunno, think this through a little further.”

As I said in a post about this topic about a month ago: Options are King. Give us an option and you (ANet) won’t have to hear thousands of people kittening about it. Win/win, baby. Win/win.

Alex.5349

Thanks Kruhljak! I completely agree with that.

The only problem is that we don’t have the option to enable / disable it. That’s all we need!

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Targetting needs to be redone all over imo,its just crap.I always target pets or illusions first,or even better..enemys Further away then the nearest ( im no clicker,and shouldnt need to click to select a target,i tab like in every mmo,here it just works like crap ).And yes my targetting settings are set “correct” ive tried messing with it but it never gets any better.Also a Name colour change for gods sake when youve targeted someone.Seriously though,i stil llove gw but imo it has the worst targetting system from Any mmo i played,gw1 target system was also hell of a lot better.

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

Targetting needs to be redone all over imo,its just crap.I always target pets or illusions first,or even better..enemys Further away then the nearest ( im no clicker,and shouldnt need to click to select a target,i tab like in every mmo,here it just works like crap ).And yes my targetting settings are set “correct” ive tried messing with it but it never gets any better.Also a Name colour change for gods sake when youve targeted someone.Seriously though,i stil llove gw but imo it has the worst targetting system from Any mmo i played,gw1 target system was also hell of a lot better.

In addition to the right-click thing, I really wish the “target closest enemy” hotkey worked as expected. I try to target the thing in front of me, and instead it chooses the guy behind him and to the left. Also, I’ve had the target suddenly change when I’m sure I didn’t actually press a button or click anything, but I can’t prove it.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Posted by: SchvagnumPI.3891

SchvagnumPI.3891

In addition to the right-click thing, I really wish the “target closest enemy” hotkey worked as expected. I try to target the thing in front of me, and instead it chooses the guy behind him and to the left. Also, I’ve had the target suddenly change when I’m sure I didn’t actually press a button or click anything, but I can’t prove it.

OMG, I’m so glad its not just me. I thought I had ghosts in the machine. I would be attacking someone and all of a sudden I would lose the target and stand there doing nothing.

I found targeting in general to be broken. Sometimes my first attack won’t be on my selected target. My ranger will fire a shot into the ground despite having a selected target. The targeting problem is then compounded by a problem where you want to select nearest target, but it doesn’t. It selects the second nearest. So you reselect the nearest target and it still fires on the other target you first selected, the second shot will taget the newest and nearest target and now you have 2 enemies after you.

Posted by: Retrospek.4583

Retrospek.4583

+1 – always losing my target due to this mechanic.

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

OMG, I’m so glad its not just me. I thought I had ghosts in the machine. I would be attacking someone and all of a sudden I would lose the target and stand there doing nothing.

I found targeting in general to be broken. Sometimes my first attack won’t be on my selected target. My ranger will fire a shot into the ground despite having a selected target. The targeting problem is then compounded by a problem where you want to select nearest target, but it doesn’t. It selects the second nearest. So you reselect the nearest target and it still fires on the other target you first selected, the second shot will taget the newest and nearest target and now you have 2 enemies after you.

I get so frustrated with the targeting system. Just last night, I kept trying to target the nearest enemy (one of several Flame Legion attackers) and both the auto-target and the bound “target nearest enemy” hotkey kept choosing deer instead. I finally determined that those deer must actually be Flame Legion spies, and the game’s UI was my only way of knowing who was secretly working against me. Fortunately, I had my wife with me, so she was able to back me up against the ninja deer.

Honestly, I think targeting is the system that most desperately needs attention. Sure, it would be nice to have more content every month, or balanced skills, or a few more of the basic PvP features, or guesting, or other bug fixes, but what does it matter when you can’t even aim your weapon properly?

I mean, on the most basic level, the game is about our characters doing things to other characters or objects with our skills. This usually involves weapons (literal or environmental) and targets. How weird would it be if we tried to hit something with an axe and instead threw a rock at it? Or throw a jar of bees when we try to fire a shortbow? If an elementalist tried to switch to Air Attunement and got Earth instead? If a necromancer tried to lay down a well and instead summoned a blood fiend?

Trying to shoot at a Flame Legion Axe Fiend and instead targeting a doe or a stag is not so different from trying to use one skill and have the game choose another. Why would either be tolerated?

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I agree, fixing the targeting system should have top priority. Last night in WvW a warrior got the jump on me. I had only a split second to react, so I clicked him… but couldn’t target him…. I clicked again and again… nothing, and I was almost dead. Finally I decided to put my last bit of faith in auto targeting and just clicked Spectral Grasp while looking at the foe… and I pulled a random river skale far in the distance. The warrior and the skale teamed up and smashed me into tiny pieces. I left WvW in anger.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: karl.1729

karl.1729

This needs to be addressed. I’m always holding right button and so its extremely annoying that it auto targets anyone who seems to be in the center of my screen. So, so annoying.

Please fix this!

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Ding Ding Ding any Anet reading this ? I think its obvious that Loads of people complain about this and something needs to be done about it no ? How about some official answer that you people are working on it or atleast Looking to change it ? Also The Triangle wich appears above someone’s head when youve Targeted someone,compared to someone who is downed,looks to much alike changing the shape or colour for any of these would solve this..Its no einstein project you dont have rewrite entire engines right,i think this would be a simple change that alot of people are begging for,yet nothing is being done.If you want to atleast keep some customers,please start listening to these basic changes we are suggesting.

Posted by: Cardstar.1963

Cardstar.1963

+1 to fixing right click and the TAB issues.

<paste generic, tired historical quote here>

Posted by: nimchip.3420

nimchip.3420

Check this topic out and comment: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/An-option-to-disable-right-click-targeting/page/9

I was hoping they would have fixed this on this patch.